The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #916  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

That is a fair question. No one is pressuring me. This weekend I feel the need to have 1 drink because I am invited out to a cocktail hour and then dinner with friends that I don't know that well. First time I have been invited to this home, etc. There will be no problem with just having one drink but I do feel I need to accept one. The host has even gone so far as to ask what I like so it can be provided. It's just that I don't need ANY. And if I said that it wouldn't be a problem with these guys. I just want to be sociable. The last few weekends I have just WANTED to have drinks with friends, I have gotten out of the habit of drinking water or coffee and I need to get back to that. So really, it's not pressure, it's my desire and I need to work on that.

Sorry I can't answer your question about not eating. BUT, I know if I did that it would backfire because I would be sure to make up for those missed meals on down the road. SIL might have stopped eating because of stress, if you did it just because you are impatient to lose weight it might have a whole different effect for you.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #917  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

ledom....oh, thanks for explaining the 1 drink part better. Yes, I see your point, if I was asked what I drink by someone new; I would feel that I would need to have a drink also. Dh and I have almost stopped drinking socially....at first it we thought it was going to be a problem but we were going to parties where you were told to bring your own drinks (bbq's, pool parties etc) so it wasn't a big deal. After awhile, our friends just got on to the fact that we drink the occasional soda drink but mostly plain club soda now.

As for my SIL story.....I wasn't thinking of doing anything, but I just felt a 'dig' from MIL about my weight, intentional or not. In any case, it had just the opposite affect today.....I ate anything AND everything today.. I'm quite disgusted actually but tommorow's another day. **sigh**
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #918  
Chick

Somehow I am feeling more lighthearted this morning about the challenge of getting the scale going again. I have been weighing and recording my weight every morning and I do think that is helping bring my focus back. My workouts are getting harder, I am still following Jillian's book and redoing the sequencing. I am up to weeks 5/6 now and just the added cardio portion really ramps up the sweat factor. I have a good lather worked up every morning it seems. I am starting to be addicted to endorphins again. Also, I impulsively joined a low pressure challenge on another board which requires that you post daily. You set your own rules at the beginning of the month. I am allowing myself 2 free meals and 1 drink a week in my rules. I think that is reasonable and somehow setting it down in writing seems to be helping me keep focus. Focus, that word reoccurs in my thinking a lot I guess. But it's true, I just can't let my mind wander from the plan.

So angel - that is interesting. It is so true you have to be careful who you talk to about this stuff. I can be affected so easily by those that surround me. Actually I am having a challenge of a different sort when it comes to weight and relations. My daughter, 22, has put on at least 30 lbs. this year. She has always had such a cute figure, she is in a relationship now, living w/ bf and I don't know what has happened. I think they are just really enjoying their food, maybe she has gotten comfortable with a steady bf. She has been learning to cook and really loves doing it. Anyway it just upsets me so much for her sake. The irony of it all, and of course the guilt. I have been heavy all her life, now I am letting go of the weight and she is finding it. I don't know what to say to her so I say very little. I don't want to say anything that makes her feel bad or makes it hard for her. I have told her I hate it for her, that I know how hard it is to lose it once you gain it and to be careful. But you know, I think you can only say that once or twice without becoming a nag. I am just sort of helplessly watching and telling her what I have learned about diet and exercise when she asks. Hopefully she'll get it under control before it gets any worse.

I missed TBL again last night. I guess this is the season I won't watch as closely. My friend in Oregon seems to have calls to me on rotation for Wed., 8 p.m. calls. That's better anyway - I'd rather talk to him. But I did wonder what was going on.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #919  
soon to be goddess

Morning!
Last night I was thinking how wonderful it would be for my GF to come for another visit. She came last year at this time. Then I got to thinking....I'm at the same @%*#& WEIGHT as I was last year when she visited. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!! That really hit home.....all the excercise, food, nutrition, challenges, and I'm exactly the same weight. What would it have been if I wasn't really watching what I was doing? I don't think of it as a whole year was wasted, but that I haven't had any visible improvement other than an improvement in my good HDL levels (re cholesterol) Its the whole up 3 lbs, down 2 lbs, up 5 lbs, down 4 lbs or motivation gung ho for 3 months and then off for a month or two . As I said last night, today is another day......so this morning I got up early and went for a FANTASTIC walk/run. I just need to do more. I also got a reminder notice about the 5K race (that dh and I did last year) and am thinking of participating again, race isn't until April though. There is no way I'm going to stay the same for a whole other YEAR!!! I am losing this last 20-25 lbs!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #920  
Chick

angel - I feel your pain. Don't despair though. Staying the same is SO much better that what you could have done. Don't beat yourself up. I hear you when you say you need to do more. Do you count calories? I think every now and then it helps to do that. I know you are going to find a way to get the scale moving again. I am right here with you, facing the same frustrations. Also, do you think you might be carrying more muscle this year due to the great workouts you have been doing, you know muscle weighs more than fat and is it possible that even though you haven't lost you have changed your body composition some? Have you checked out the mini goal photo album here lately? Sometimes I get a ton of inspiration from looking at that. Also, why don't you join me in the goal of actually being able to post a loss for Oct. here. I haven't been able to do that for the 2 months that Suzanne has been recording that and it is a bit of a sinking feeling. October is still new though, I think we could all manage that challenge! What do you think?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #921  
Chick

Angel - how are you feeling this morning? I am good. I finally made time to get out and kayak yesterday. I really needed it too. I haven't had a spare minute (or at least taken it) to just be with myself and my thoughts lately. I took my journal out and sat on the lake shore and just kind of reviewed everything that's been on my mind lately. I feel refreshed and ready to hit the ground running this morning. Just been cruising the 3fc site and some diet blogs and found some inspiration. Ironically reading about people that have fallen off the wagon, regained some weight, just put the fear of god into me. Like Gina said recently, there is no going back.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #922  
soon to be goddess

ledom...in one word...SORE!!! I stepped up my workout yesterday and yowza....really feel those seldom used muscles, such as ABS!!! really!!
Today is a new day and although the scale shows up +1 lb I know not to freak out as TOM is ready to hit bigtime. Just in time I might add when we are off on holidays!!...blech. We are leaving Sunday and won't be back until Friday 13th....how ominous is that? Dh and I are bringing our workout clothes and bathingsuits for the hot tub!! Although, we tried that another trip and when we went to the hot tub....they had it filled in with fake plants!! haha....huh? I guess the hot tub wasn't a big hit. We are going to Branson MO, so home to the thousands of dinner shows, reviews, and the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede....YEEHAWW!!! The boys are interested in the wax museum, Ripleys believe it or not and the Six flags amusement park (cept its not called 6 flags...but I can't think of it right now??)
Have a great day!!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #923  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

ledom - I have a hard time with wanting to give advice to people in the real world (this site is obviously different) who may not have asked for it, too. It's tempting....but I try to think how I used to take such advice when I wasn't ready to receive it. But once they ask for advice? Watch out!

angel-eyes - Have fun on your trip!! The scale is prolly up +1 because your muscles are retaining water to recover.

I was down to 162 yesterday....but my fitday will totally scare you.

Like an idiot I bought some frozen Weight Watcher desserts...and then proceeded to eat them all....and then some peanut butter and celery and then ice cream....at least it was mostly lowfat....but I went over 2100 calories for the first time in a really long time. Ah well...today is a new day....TOM is just such FUN!

Hello down under chickies Twinklegirl and Nikkii!!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #924  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Hi Girls!
Well, interestingly enough i had a loss this week. I don't know how, i probably lost muscle because i barely worked out, but my food was totally clean. So, i'm down another kilo (2.2 pound) which is nice, i was starting to wonder if i'd ever have a loss again.

chick- We all have our bad days, it's how we move on an get over it that's important. So yeah, today is another day!

angel- Have heaps of fun!

ledom- I find that i go a little crazy if i don't get my time alone. It was something i knew i needed a long time ago. I just get really upset and frustrated and angry if i feel smothered. I had a hard time with it last weekend, but i finally got some time alone and felt much better afterwards, so make sure you're looking after yourself!

Where's that nikkii!?!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #925  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

hello ladies, i am here...lol, well i have had a few good days of eating, and sleeping. I done jillians cardio kickbox dvd on friday and today i did my 10km beach walk again!!, but i am back to the gym now, which is a great feeling after being down sick for so long.
Well i have gave sweet revenge to a guy whom protraded as a single dad, took me out to dinner, and tried but didnt succeed in wanting a bit wink wink, to later find he was engaged to be married and lives with her....i finally got the nerve to confront him, and he claimed he wasnt with her then and to ask her, but he didnt know i had his home number...lol so i did, i called her and she found out everything,,,,and he would had gone home from work to world war 3...lol so karama has came back to him, and i feel great that i have stepped up to him and not let people like him crap over me like i would in the past. And at the same time i have met a new man online, we are still just friends, he lives 20 mins from me, and all this has given me a great incentive to get back into the swing of it all and lose weight and look after myself for a change....
I hope everyone is going well...
Love Nikkii xxx
Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #926  
Chick

get on with your bad self Nikkii - but I know what you mean. Romance is a great motivator.

....so, it's the weekend and so far so good. I made it my goal for Oct. to have 2 planned free meals and 1 drink per week. And having completed the first week (my week starts on Sunday), I made it honoring my commitment. Maybe that sounds too liberal, but having those treats to look foward to and plan for has kept me from my recent weekend free for all which could descend into something like a binge. Weighing first thing in the morning seems to be helping me keep things in check and I am finally starting to get the "fire for success" back.

AND, WAY TO GO Twinklegirl and Gina on seeing new lows. That is pretty motivating to hear too as I whinge along. You guys are doing it, I am going to do it too. Gina, those WW icecream bars and such treats are lethal for me as well!!!! I know that was just a passing fancy.

Well, I have to get some food cooked today as my cupboards are bare. That is the surest way for me to stray if there is no good food in the house.

Hope everyone has had a restful weekend and is looking forward to a good week.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #927  
Chick

Thumbs up

Just a note to say that I weigh .25 lbs. less this Monday morning than I did Fri. morning. I haven't even been weighing until Wed., at least, for the last month.

Still 4 lbs. from my ticker weight but I will be back there very very soon. My first goal is to do that.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #928  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

LEDOM & Twinklegirl!!!!!

And a couple dancing karma carrots for Nikkii sending that guy home to WWIII.. And you got some sleep? And another 10 K beach walk?

Seems like October is shaping up to be OUR month!!

Hopefully angel-eyes is having a big time in Branson!

I missed a few days of weight training, but at least I got my cardio in on the bicycle. Today it was back to front day and a spin class.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #929  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

Hey there, yes i am feeling great today,,,,have had exercise, eating right and working,,,,got my life back!!! It feels Great.
Well done for the weight loss girls....that is great news,,,,i havent got back on the scales to see if i have, until tomorrow when i see my doctor for a weigh in.....
I have had 2 massages this week to relieve the pain from the beach walks...but doing it again on saturday, and might catch some fish too to take home and put in my tank,,,,catfish.....lol
I hope all is well......i have been watching old tapes that i taped of the biggest loser for motivation.....
Take care
Nikkii xxx
Thanks for my dancing carrots...lol
Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #930  
Chick

I thought yesterday's Jillian e-mail was especially insightful. You have to BELIEVE you can do it. I needed that one. Anyway Gina, this carrot is for you because girl you are almost there. I am so awed by your success.