Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #256  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm3060 View Post
Bigdog

You mentioned you borrowed a Dr. Atkins Recipe Book from Library. May I ask the exact title of it if you still have it? I want to borrow from library.

Thanks
Dee
It's the Atkins Quick and Easy new cookbook. It's fabulous! I found 4 books re Atkins at the library. I wanted to check them out before buying on Amazon
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #257  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Good Morning Everyone!!!

And welcome to all the new people here, it's great to see it getting so active... And everyone sounds like they are doing well, which is great to see and for me very encouraging... I really love it!

So a little update.... I may have shared this here already, but basically I've lost just about 50lbs so far since I decided last May to really start working at losing weight AGAIN!!!... Anyway, I started with just calorie counting and MFP and lost close to 20lbs... And then last Oct. I started a prediabetes prevention program at a local hospital near me which met once a week, where we had to "weigh-in" and follow a low fat diet (my plan allowed 42g of fat a day? Not sure where they came up with that number?) and we had to do at least 150 minutes of exercise a week. I lost just about another 20lbs doing that for the 4 months of that program (we're still meeting once a month for another 4 months for follow up and "weigh-in" to help us maintain our "lifestyle" change...lol )... I then decided go back to Atkins to get things moving again and that was good for another 10lbs which came off very quickly and was VERY motivating... BUT now that I'm within striking distance on my GOAL weight (I can't believe it, this is really is going to happen!) I've decided to change things up a little bit... I actually decided to join WW with a friend (we just go for the "weigh-in" we don't stay for the meeting, we count "points" and we still can do low carb if we want) AND I'm going to take a look again at NANY to see if I can make some of that work for me, since I'm planning on eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 100g of carbs and possibly more once I get my running back in gear and start training seriously for my next marathon, which I hope is by next fall...

So that's where I'm at today... Not exactly strict "Atkins" but let's just say I'm very Atkins "friendly"...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default 2nd Day on Induction

19 carbs 1593 Calories

Breakfast
Butter - Unsalted, 2 tbsp(s)
Clover Valley - Jalapenos Sliced, 1 oz. - 30g
Generic - Egg - Fried - Extra Large, 3 Egg
Great Value - Cheese, Sharp Cheddar, Finely Shredded, 1/3 Cup
Giorgio - Pieces and Stems Mushrooms- No Salt Added, 1 cup

Lunch
Lettuce - Iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw, 3 cup(s)
Generic - Tomato Raw Medium, 1 whole
Oil - Olive, 2 tablespoon
Generic - Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tbsp /14.9 g
Tyson - Chicken Gizzards & Hearts - Boiled, 12 oz

Dinner
Coburn Farms - Mild Cheddar Cheese, 4.25 oz

Snacks
Herb-ox - Chicken Granulated Boullion, 1 tsp
Kurtz - Kosher Dill Spears, 6 oz
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #259  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Good Morning Everyone!!!

And welcome to all the new people here, it's great to see it getting so active... And everyone sounds like they are doing well, which is great to see and for me very encouraging... I really love it!

So a little update.... I may have shared this here already, but basically I've lost just about 50lbs so far since I decided last May to really start working at losing weight AGAIN!!!... Anyway, I started with just calorie counting and MFP and lost close to 20lbs... And then last Oct. I started a prediabetes prevention program at a local hospital near me which met once a week, where we had to "weigh-in" and follow a low fat diet (my plan allowed 42g of fat a day? Not sure where they came up with that number?) and we had to do at least 150 minutes of exercise a week. I lost just about another 20lbs doing that for the 4 months of that program (we're still meeting once a month for another 4 months for follow up and "weigh-in" to help us maintain our "lifestyle" change...lol )... I then decided go back to Atkins to get things moving again and that was good for another 10lbs which came off very quickly and was VERY motivating... BUT now that I'm within striking distance on my GOAL weight (I can't believe it, this is really is going to happen!) I've decided to change things up a little bit... I actually decided to join WW with a friend (we just go for the "weigh-in" we don't stay for the meeting, we count "points" and we still can do low carb if we want) AND I'm going to take a look again at NANY to see if I can make some of that work for me, since I'm planning on eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 100g of carbs and possibly more once I get my running back in gear and start training seriously for my next marathon, which I hope is by next fall...

So that's where I'm at today... Not exactly strict "Atkins" but let's just say I'm very Atkins "friendly"...
TripSwitch,
Goodluck with WW, I tried that also and loved counting points but still couldn't control my hunger while doing it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #260  
Sherry, Senior Member

Hello,

Ended yesterday on a good day!
Calories: 1,274
Net carbs: 19
Breakfast: 3 strips bacon (we get a whole hog so it's store bought bacon)
1 oz whipping cream with my decaf donut house coffee
2 pks of splenda
1 large egg w/pam

Lunch: Decaf grande skinny mocha from starbucks (14 net carbs 14 gm protein)
Sausage/egg no muffin

Dinner: 3 oz beef cubed steak tenderized (this is from a our cow we get processed, no store bought meat for us)
Steam fresh broccoli, cauliflower
MRC Grape protein drink

Snacks: am- mocha latte shake
pm: caramel nut atkins bar

My weigh in day isn't until Saturday but I peeked this morning was down 1 lb so looking for good results Saturday.

I'll check back tomorrow, goodluck to everyone
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #261  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone!!!

Wow- thank you for update. I'm a former WW Lifetime member- joined 2 yrs ago after I lost 35 lbs with MRC 3 years ago because they closed the local MRC office. I live in a small town so they only have PM meetings after 6 twice a week - I hate late weigh ins. Gained - I quit. I wasn't into it and I Then rejoined MRC in Jan - (new office opened) lost 13 lbs and quit- don't care for the sales tactics of the counselors- very limited food choices and they push their products and pills.
Now am trying Atkins - love it so far- have a lot to learn and recipes to try. Do know if I slip up and eat 2 many carbs- wow- weight will come right back on quickly.
We have a weight loss clinic a lot of my friends go to when they gain I may join so I can have someone weigh me. Still thinking about it. $120 a month includes appetite suppressants and B-12 shots and counseling where they weigh you and go over your journal. They also open at 730 in the am so could
Weigh in before work. To be honest- I've never lost weight unless someone is weighing me each week (keeps me honest). w my DH being a Chef and w my fun social friends - it's hard!
I know that low carb is the way to go and I feel so much better and stronger. Anyone do B12 shots or app suppressants?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #262  
Sherry, Senior Member

Bigdog,

I tried the B12 shots didn't work, tried all the supplements and they work at first but my body got immune. I don't take anything now doing atkins and I'm loving it. I weigh myself everyday and that keeps me in check. This morning I was down another 1lb so by Saturday I hope to be down more but if I lose 1 lb a week I would be happy.

Had a good day today again:
1,285 calories
walked 3,906 steps
NC: 33
Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Today was pretty good, food wise.

Breakfast: mock danish
Lunch: "Cheese-its," deviled eggs (2), 1/2 c coleslaw
Dinner: Flat-out bread pizza w/mushrooms, pepperoni and olives

We'll see how I do in the next few days after the flat-out bread. It's 7 net carbs.

I hit right at 20 carbs today. Shopping tomorrow and will work on getting more veggies in.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #264  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Thanks skelley and big dog... I am looking forward to "weighing-in" once a week and I can still eat lower carb... But even with really watching my carbs I still have to be pretty strict and keep my calories in check or I don't lose, so WW is good for that...but I'm still going to keep using MFP and of course I'm pretty addicted to my Fitbit as well... At this point after losing 50lbs and with 15lbs still left to lose, even if I kept carbs to 50g a day or under to stay in ketosis I still need a pretty big calorie deficit to keep losing.... It's not the ketosis anyway that is causing the weight loss it's the calorie deficit... the ketosis just helps with diet compliance...You can be in ketosis and still gain weight if you're eating too much... We'll see if this 15lbs refuse to budge, I'll seriously consider spending the money on IP... Those people lose weight fast... But that's because not only is it ketogenic (helps you to stick to the plan by reducing hunger) it's also very low calorie (850 to 1000 calories a day) so it creates a really big calorie deficit for rapid weight loss...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 04-23-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #265  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
Bigdog,

I tried the B12 shots didn't work, tried all the supplements and they work at first but my body got immune. I don't take anything now doing atkins and I'm loving it. I weigh myself everyday and that keeps me in check. This morning I was down another 1lb so by Saturday I hope to be down more but if I lose 1 lb a week I would be happy.

Had a good day today again:
1,285 calories
walked 3,906 steps
NC: 33
I was hesitant about joining because I can't take any type of diet pills and have a low tolerance to meds. My friend just told me they have her taking Phentramine - same stuff MRC was pushing. I def can't take that. They might have other plans they offer without the drugs? Anyway- Im trying to stay motivated and hope I can succeed on my own without weighing in anywhere . It's silly really and I should be able to do this with reading more re: the plan, tracking and checking in with you guys daily. This forum is incredibly helpful!
I agree Skelley- I'm happy with 1-2 lbs loss a week . I did notice my friend hasnt changed her eating habits much- she's just taking the pills - most of them have gained after quitting the program.
I want to get to goal weight and maintain
Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #266  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Thanks skelley and big dog... I am looking forward to "weighing-in" once a week and I can still eat lower carb... But even with really watching my carbs I still have to be pretty strict and keep my calories in check or I don't lose, so WW is good for that...but I'm still going to keep using MFP and of course I'm pretty addicted to my Fitbit as well... At this point after losing 50lbs and with 15lbs still left to lose, even if I kept carbs to 50g a day or under to stay in ketosis I still need a pretty big calorie deficit to keep losing.... It's not the ketosis anyway that is causing the weight loss it's the calorie deficit... the ketosis just helps with diet compliance...You can be in ketosis and still gain weight if you're eating too much... We'll see if this 15lbs refuse to budge, I'll seriously consider spending the money on IP... Those people lose weight fast... But that's because not only is it ketogenic (helps you to stick to the plan by reducing hunger) it's also very low calorie (850 to 1000 calories a day) so it creates a really big calorie deficit for rapid weight loss...
you are exactly right! MRC was low carb and around 1000 calories and that was the first time in a long time that I lost 35 lbs and gained muscle. I liked the protein shakes too- was like dessert . When I joined this year, they changed the plan and added more carbs and fruit- was not as successful.
With Atkins- I need to find lower carb products but also lower calorie because for a couple days this week been going Hog Wild!! Thanks for the reality check
Lower carb, higher protein works for me because I don't get hungry.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #267  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 3 of Induction

Today - Day 3 was good I am really surprised how much Atkins reduces my hunger

Carb 15, Fat 111, Protein 140, Calories 1,669, Water 10 eight ounce glasses

Breakfast
Sugardale - Corrected - Hickory Smoked Sliced Bacon, 3 slices

Lunch
Generic - Broccoli- Steamed, 78 grams (3/4 cup)
Pork Chop - Cooked Pork Chop, Bone In, 9 ounces

Dinner
Brussels sprouts - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 6 sprout
New York Strip Steak - Grilled Steak, 6 oz (112g)

Snacks
Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #268  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaloula View Post
Today was pretty good, food wise.

Breakfast: mock danish
Lunch: "Cheese-its," deviled eggs (2), 1/2 c coleslaw
Dinner: Flat-out bread pizza w/mushrooms, pepperoni and olives

We'll see how I do in the next few days after the flat-out bread. It's 7 net carbs.

I hit right at 20 carbs today. Shopping tomorrow and will work on getting more veggies in.
Good job!i ran out of cabbage , celery and lettuce today so need to restock. I'm going to a health food store this weekend to see if they have low carb or almond flour so I can make pancakes - guilt free! W blueberries

Last edited by bigdog; 04-23-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #269  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Today - Day 3 was good I am really surprised how much Atkins reduces my hunger

Carb 15, Fat 111, Protein 140, Calories 1,669, Water 10 eight ounce glasses

Breakfast
Sugardale - Corrected - Hickory Smoked Sliced Bacon, 3 slices

Lunch
Generic - Broccoli- Steamed, 78 grams (3/4 cup)
Pork Chop - Cooked Pork Chop, Bone In, 9 ounces

Dinner
Brussels sprouts - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 6 sprout
New York Strip Steak - Grilled Steak, 6 oz (112g)

Snacks
Hi Larry,
What are you using to track? I'm using the Atkins Carb Counter but don't know how to copy to this forum...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #270  
Motivated Member

Default Tracking app

What is everyone using to track to calculate net carbs? I'm using Atkins carb counter but it's limited. I love MFP but don't know what to set my goals at? I'm aiming for 20 net carbs daily. Using 1200 for calories.
Thanks!
Closed Thread