Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #91  

Height: 5'3"

I'm late getting here today. Did a couple loads of laundry thinking I was catching up then I noticed the dark hole in my 3 hole laundry bag is filled to the top again! But decided to let it go until tomorrow. Other than that just got a few basic housework tasks done...not enough. Ran a few errands this afternoon. Eatings been pretty good and my bs have been good.

Yesterday I went to my urologists...I really really like her. I have rarely had a female doctor but I like this lady so much I wish I could go to her for other things...she is a lotta years younger than me but I feel like I can tell her anything and she always takes time with me even though I can tell she's busy.
She even gave me a prescription for another issue so I don't have to go through the same exam again with my regular doctor.

I did have something upset me while I was in the waiting room though...there was an older man (not sure he was any older than my dh's age though) and his dd was given a form to complete. He was hard of hearing and she was asking the questions really loud (at times he still had trouble hearing) There were a few other people in the waiting room as well as myself. The questions were about very personal intimate details, don't know whether it upset him as I was sitting behind him, but the whole room could hear and I was embarrassed and angry for him. I finally spoke up and said, he should have privacy and both his dd and wife agreed but said they were told the form had to be completed before he could go in to see a doctor. I said they should put him in a room to complete it and that I would complain. I was thinking that as a nurse, I would never have yelled those questions to a patient in a waiting room with others around. If I couldn't speak quietly to them I'd take them to another room where they could have privacy. I saw the wife go up to the desk later and thought perhaps she complained but wasn't sure, so I let it go. When the nurse took my bp she said it was high and I told her it was probably because I had trouble finding the clinic and barely made it on time, but then I thought, no, I'm going to tell her what else it was and I explained about the man and how it made me feel...not for myself...I have no problem discussing these subjects but my feelings were for him and it just was not right to do that to someone. The nurse agreed and said she'd take care of it and that was the last I heard of it. I don't like to complain...thought they might just think I'm a busy body.. but I think sometimes there is a time for complaining.

Rosey - I haven't read a Nora Roberts book for a while but used to enjoy them.
I'm reading Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn. It's been a little hard for me to get interested in it but it's a mystery so I expect it to get better.
On my Kindle I'm reading Brood X by Michael Cash. This is his first book, but I read his second and enjoyed it. So far it's about an extreme (very) attack of insects. He kind of writes horror but Stillwell was what I call a kind of gentle horror LOL and he's good at creating the characters. I wrote a review on Amazon for Stillwell. He has a 3rd book out too but I haven't read it.

Deelou - Yes use your dd as your inspiration/motivation. I still struggle if there are goodies in the house. Best thing for me is to not have these things in the house but a few days ago when dh was buying cereal (which I don't often eat), I saw some chocolate fiberOne and decided I had to have it. I ate the whole box in 3 or 4 days! At least now when I really overeat on something I do it when I've eaten only small amounts all day and I don't wait too late in the evening to eat it. It seems like that way my morning weight doesn't show my indulgence so much, often not at all as long as I don't do it too many nights in a row! Not saying it's any healthier but it helps me on the scale at least. Thankfully my colon has not objected to the cereal, I was a bit concerned about the crispiness and the fiber but I did soak it in plenty of milk and maybe with all the fiber it just jumped over all those nasty pockets in my colon!

Tonight was just hamburgers on white buns and sauteed onions followed by a pb mocha. Strange how I have to be proud of eating white stuff now when I used to try to avoid it, but I do hope to get back to whole grains and raw salads again. So far today I haven't had any pain so hopefully it won't be long.

Well, time to get moving again. Since I haven't been to the gym, I try to sneak in exercise other ways. Today I had to go to Safeway and my credit union (same shopping area), so I parked at one end of the lot (where Safeway is) and walked to the credit union, then walked back to do my shopping. At the clinic yesterday I made sure to take the stairs. I guess it all helps.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I am done with 2 of the 3 work-related things that have been eating my time.

I am reading "Life after Life" by Kate Atkinson with my book club. It is 450 pages (on my Nook) & it took me about 100 pages to really get into it. I am enjoying it now.

On the other hand, I recently finished the newest mystery by Louise Penny (my FAVORITE) mystery writer. This was such a "page-turner" (can we say that about an e-book?) that I hated putting it down. I absolutely love her books - about a Canadian detective & set in a delightful little Canadian town.

I did VERY well with eating/exercising while in FL - gained 1/4 lb.

Hope all is good with everyone,

Lynn
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #93  

My colon has been reminding me it's still there this am but so far it is still mild. I'm hoping it is not what I'm eating but more that it is just sore and needs to heal. I'm anxious to upgrade my diet but am trying to get along on a soft diet.
I have a question for you guys: how do you do your allowed calories? What I mean is... I want to get down to at least 140 and many times they tell you to set your calorie limit to 1400 for that. I am sure that would be faster but I decided to set it at a level (around 1500) that I know I can lose at and then lower it as I lose thinking it would be more bearable. I am at a point now where I know soon I'm going to have to lower my calories to keep losing and am a little scared it's going to be hard...yes, I know I'm a wimp and I have to do it to lose..but I'm being honest. When I was on Prism diet my (diet imposed) limit was 1200 and I felt like I was starving! So guess that's why I am a little worried about it. I was just wondering how others do it. I am aware that increasing exercise burns off some so that helps. I think Lynn, Bobbie and Rosey keep their calorie limits very low. How about the rest of you? Not much going on here.

Lynn - I looked up Louise Penny. Are you referring to the book titled How the Light Gets In? I love mysteries!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #94  
Jacksonville, FL

My md told me today 800-900 cals a day to lose with my thyroid.....needless to say, I cannot wait to see what the endrocrinologists say!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
I think Lynn, Bobbie and Rosey keep their calorie limits very low. How about the rest of you? Not much going on here.

Lynn - I looked up Louise Penny. Are you referring to the book titled How the Light Gets In? I love mysteries!
Hi Mary, I HIGHLY recommend that you read her books in order. There is a set of characters that evolve.

Her books in order -

Still Life, A Fatal Grace/Dead Cold (same book, different title), The Cruelest Month, A Rule Against Murder/The Murder Stone (same book, different title), The Brutal Telling, Bury Your Dead, A Trick of the Light, The Beautiful Mystery, How the Light Gets In.

Lynn

PS - for me to lose, I must avg 40 min of exercise/day and keep my calories around 1,000. Could be medication, or could be mis-counting, or could be decades of yo-yo dieting. Believe me, if I could, I would definitely eat more.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #96  
Jacksonville, FL

Ladyinweighting, how do you keep from being hungry all the time? I can do 1100-1200 without being hungry...
Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #97  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelou View Post
Ladyinweighting, how do you keep from being hungry all the time? I can do 1100-1200 without being hungry...
Hi Deelou,

I have a REALLY big bag of tricks. Some of my favorites are SF jello w SF Cool Whip; grapes with a dip (ff cream cheese, ff sour cream, Splenda, SF Cool Whip); ff cheese sticks.

I have a 1/2 protein bar every morning; a breakfast type thing for lunch or dinner; and a protein/veggie/starch thing for lunch or dinner.

Every night I have a dessert from Jenny Craig. Tonight is a slice of chocolate cheesecake.

Lynn
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls-

Stopping in to say goodby in case I can't get to #FC while I'm on my month long trip to Cambodia. Packing, which I dislike anyway, is stressful, wondering what to bring. It will be warm, I think, but I need to avoid mosquito bites. Have to wear repellant but am thinking light weight long sleeves and pants might be the way to go. Whatever. I just have to decide and get it in the suitcase!

I'm glad I'm getting out of town for Halloween. I have already succumbed to a couple of bags, thinking I could have 1 or 2 miniature bars a day. HAH! Turned into 1 or 2 bags a day. Not good. Not good at all.

The only way I can actually lose weight is make my life like a drug/alcohol detox environment. Sometimes once I get rolling, I can do okay. But those evening book club, bunko, bridge, gatherings can be the worst. And I've been out shopping more than usual for my trip. Even the department and book stores have Godiva Chocolate at the check out! And making sure I have all my medicinal stuff requiring me to go to the drugstore a lot - that caused the Halloween Candy breakdown.

Good luck chicks. Hope to be in touch soon but if not - Big hugs to everyone!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #99  
Jacksonville, FL

Default Cambodia

Where will you be in Cambodia ? My son is director of a non- profit with orphanages in Cambodia, Thailand and India.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Flying by....got my knee shots this afternoon and they already feel better....k3
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #101  

Finally got back to the gym today! I think I only went once in over a month! I hated getting up and going but once I did I was glad I did it. Have been very tired since I got home though. We also stopped to do a little shopping on the way home. I dropped almost 3# overnight...couldn't believe that! Probably just sodium but it was fun to see the lower number. Very motivating!

My question about calorie limits was more about do you start out with the low calorie limit for where your ideal body weight or do you start high and lower it as you lose? But it sounds to me like most of you are starting very low...don't see how you could go much lower. Since I have tried that once and it was very difficult for me (and it was 1200 even), I thought I'd prefer to start at the highest number at which I know I can still lose weight. I haven't done a lot of drastic dieting in the past (Medifast was the most drastic)so perhaps that's why or perhaps my metabolism is still fairly high but I can still lose weight as long as I don't go much past 1600 calories. I have tried to stay around 1500 but some days I go higher (at least once a week a lot higher!), and I have continued to lose. Today I was 160.8...won't change my sig because it may not hold...Sunday is my official "weigh-in day." So I think now I'm going to have to make sure to not go much over 1500. I realize 1500 is not terrible but I have to admit I dread lowering my calorie limit beyond that. Yet if I want to get to 140 (and maybe 130?) I'll have to lower it. That's why I was wondering which way is best...start out low and just maintain it, or start out as high as possible and lower as needed. I just feel if I use the lower number and try to maintain it...I'll lose weight faster, true, but I think I'd get so tired of it and so hungry that I'd maybe stop. Hope that explains better why I ask the question.

Lynn - I made note of the order of the books and will take your advice. I have kinda stopped buying more books for a little while as I have SO many onhand both hard copies and Kindle, but I have a list of books I want to read when I can.

You all have a good day. I haven't done anything around this house but I'm tired and feel like a nap!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
My question about calorie limits was more about do you start out with the low calorie limit for where your ideal body weight or do you start high and lower it as you lose? But it sounds to me like most of you are starting very low...don't see how you could go much lower. Since I have tried that once and it was very difficult for me (and it was 1200 even), I thought I'd prefer to start at the highest number at which I know I can still lose weight. I haven't done a lot of drastic dieting in the past (Medifast was the most drastic)so perhaps that's why or perhaps my metabolism is still fairly high but I can still lose weight as long as I don't go much past 1600 calories. I have tried to stay around 1500 but some days I go higher (at least once a week a lot higher!), and I have continued to lose. Today I was 160.8...won't change my sig because it may not hold...Sunday is my official "weigh-in day." So I think now I'm going to have to make sure to not go much over 1500. I realize 1500 is not terrible but I have to admit I dread lowering my calorie limit beyond that. Yet if I want to get to 140 (and maybe 130?) I'll have to lower it. That's why I was wondering which way is best...start out low and just maintain it, or start out as high as possible and lower as needed. I just feel if I use the lower number and try to maintain it...I'll lose weight faster, true, but I think I'd get so tired of it and so hungry that I'd maybe stop. Hope that explains better why I ask the question.
Hi Mary,

My advice is to start as high as you can and keep it high as long as you are still losing.

Lynn
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Mary...I have come to believe that everybody is so different that they must find a diet that not only works for them but they can live with in for the long term. Zoe did well with the Akins diet, Lynn with JC, Bobbi low cals....etc. I use the South Beach diet. It is low in calories and most of the calories are in vegies. I struggle to get 5 portions a day sometimes and you need the book. I make a vegies pot and use like a soup. I actually feed my diabetic DH the same foods and his BS stays pretty good. 119 this am. I have been on it forever and need to pop back down to level one.....Usually stay at 1.5 level. Oh DH's P1C has stayed at 6.6 for 13 years without insulin yet.

When I get serious (next week) I use fitday to document my daily intake to check that I don't go below 900-1000 cals. Below that stops the diet! It tickles me no end when I have to eat.....I have lived to eat for 73 yrs.

Hope this helps....

Need to elevate the knees...but pain level dropped from 7 to 3 already. Bless that Doctor! k3
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #104  

Yes I agree with both of you, Karen3 and Lynn...diets have to be individualized and something one can live with and I think I will continue to do what I'm doing now, eating as much as I can and still lose. I know what you mean by living to eat, Karen3...been that way for way too long myself. But I never have your problem of having to track my calories to be sure I eat enough! I track to be sure I don't go over on calories and carbs. Yesterday I did.
It will be hard when I have to drop the calories but I'll just have to do it or exercise more. I didn't sleep well last night and that doesn't help and neither of us went to the gym. Dh is considering just going 3x week, but he gets a lot of exercise here at home. I tend to sit on my butt too much. The sun is out now and dh is working outside. As long as the sun is out he is outside working. I cherish these sunny days as I know the rain is coming soon.

I made a beef vegetable soup last night. Loosely based it on Donna's recipe as I had some leftover beans but knew dh would want meat. It was pretty good but would have been better if I'd had the V-8 juice..I had to improvise. I'll probably have the leftover for lunch.

Karen3 - Glad your pain is better. You've suffered enough! My arm is the most painful these days. I guess I need to do ALL the pt exercise...but there are so many. I do usually do six or seven and I vary them. I notice that some are getting harder and more painful to do now so think I don't do them often enough.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #105  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Afternoon girls...just a fly by too. I'm going to continue to post my menu's starting again tomorrow. I stopped because I had an appointment in St. Paul with a holistic chiropractor who did a bunch of test on me and would be changing up my menu. I still get the occasional migraine headaches, just not every night like I used to.

He gave me a whole list of Vasoactive Amines foods I can't eat for a few weeks/months? These are foods that act to constrict/dilate blood vessels. Then he did a bunch of mumble jumble things to me, I swear he's a quack. According to my DD who goes to him and the internet, he's brilliant. We'll see, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until proven.
K3...HaHa, famous last words.
Quote:
When I get serious (next week)
Closed Thread