Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #1  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile 25/30 Pound Goal - Let's Do It Together

Any body out there willing to work together to lose 25 to 30 pounds

I am looking for a few people to correspond with on a daily/weekly basis to share and support each other on this New Year mission. Are you willing to give it a try? I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Hi Corinna - I'm right there with you, need to lose 29 pounds. I have been heavier briefly, but these same 25 - 30 pounds have been on this body so long. My family just shakes their head when they hear yet again that I am really going to do it this time. Getting older, these extra pounds are causing the beginning of health issues so it's not just vanity anymore. Though I'd love to have much less around the middle to fit in clothes better!

I'm here with you. My challenge is to be consistent and persistent.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #3  
Focus & Determination

Hi Kris2008! Thanks for your kindness and support. If we work together, I think we can do this. It is always nice to have someone cheering you on to reach your goal. We can work real hard to avoid those health issues caused by extra pounds. Once those extra pounds are gone, the health issues hopefully will be gone too.

Tight clothes....I had to buy some new clothes last year because I had outgrown the ones I owned. Now I have maxed out the bigger ones I bought. I am determined not buy any new ones to fall back into that situation again. I need to lose the extra weight too, because I can tell it is taking a toll on my body.

Are you healthy enough to do any exercise? Or is it the portion size and types of food that you are working on?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi Corinna,

I'm with you, and need to lose about 25 total! I know I can do this as I have done it before by severly limiting sugar, substitute sugar and especially carbs! I love to exercise, especially walking, but it's challenging in the midwest when the high today will only be in the 20's. I'm looking to re-join our recreation center which has wonderful classes including things like Zumba, cardio-cross-training and the like. I seem to do better with an instructor, but everyone is different.

What is your plan on eating and on exercising?

Andi
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #5  

I generally count calories - I can lose weight in the 1400-1500 range. Unlimited non-starchy vegs, several fruits daily but limit other carbs to a portion a meal. Hard for me to control quantities/cravings if I eat too many carbs. Also helps me to include protein and fat at every meal - don't get hungry between meals.

I don't have any limit to exercising except for being out of shape and having to go through sore muscle stages and heart/lung training.

My health issues are pre-diabetic and blood pressure now controlled by meds. Typical getting older and fatter stuff. Nothing limiting as far as exercise goes.

What about you - Corinna and Andi? Have you started you plans?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #6  
Focus & Determination

Hi Webwoman! Great to have you here. I see Kris has been back on site too. Yeah! Those are exactly my weaknesses too: sweets, and starchy foods like potatoes. The sweets are the hardest though especially ice cream. It always seems like there is someone around with a plate of cookies or cake at work. The gesture is meant to be nice, but for someone on a diet, it can be mind wracking at times. I lose focus, and all I can think about is that food that is there, calling me to come, come eat me, taste me, I am so good. I have been avoiding seeing any for the last couple of days, so far so good.

I love walking too and do it about every day. I bought an elliptical machine to help out when the weather is bad, or to use while I am watching TV. I have it in my living room. The idea and setup is there, now I just need to see if I actually use it that way when the opportunity arises.

Webwoman-I think that is a great idea for you to re-join the recreation center classes. I tried a Zumba class once, and loved it. I just don't have a way to get there or time in my day that would work for me. I am sure it would burn calories real good for you or even cardio-cross-training. Can you squeeze that into your day? What about hand weights when walking. I have used those before and they helped me a lot with losing weight and toning my arms. I have some 3 lbs weights I started with this morning. That may help too.

My plan is to exercise every day, shooting for walking 10 miles a day. That is the plan right now. I don't know how long it will last though. I am wearing a pedometer every day.

Also, I am avoiding all sweets. Just trying to eat natural sweets like fruit without syrup. Trying to stay away from heavily laden fat foods too like scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese, potato wedges/fries, etc.

I like to walk before lunch too. It seems to help my sweet cravings. In the evenings, I like to walk right after supper. That way my stomach doesn't feel to full before I go to bed.

I have started a diet blog too to help me be accountable. You can find the link below my name ICON. Just knowing I have to post things there makes me think twice about what I do during the day too. It helps me, but it may not work for everyone.

Webwoman & Kris2008-Do you think you would like to try a diet blog too?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #7  

10 miles! I bet you'll sleep well at night! You will certainly inspire me to do more.

I don't think I'll keep a blog, I'll just be lazy and let Corinna's inspire me. It will be a lot for me to come here every day and that is my plan.

My plan is also for fruits to be my sweets, I'm sure it will take a bit of getting used to. Maybe after I lose the 30 pounds, I can learn to be content with a small square of chocolate. I don't know how people can do that and not eat the bag. Got lots of re-learning to do!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Good morning Losers! :-)

So far, so good - I've lost 3.5 poinds but that's only because I was carb- and salt-loaded from the holidays! I worked out in the little gym at work for 45 min and did a couple of 1+ mile walks during work. It was uncomfortable because the temp was only 24 degrees F here. Brrrr!

Corinne, where do you live?
Kris and Corinne how tall are you?

I'm trying to follow the BFC diet (belly fat cure) which is all about controlling sugar and carbs, and it's the only thing that has ever worked for me. I lost about 34 pounds last spring but have gained some back because I got lazy. Of course anything only works if you have the self-discipline to stick with the plan.

I work from home 3 days a week so on nice days I walk outside...but I'm ready to dust off the old treadmill in the basement and start using it again due to the cold spell. I also have some exercise DVD's collecting dust. My supervisor uses them every day and she's in great shape (the rat!).

My short term goal is to do mindful eating and exercise every day - and lose 16.5 pounds in January. Have you all set short term goals?

Andi

Last edited by WebWoman; 01-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #9  

I'll probably lose a few pounds quickly too! I'm up 5 pounds just in the last week. I'm 5'3".
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/130/108

Height: 5'0

hello...
lets do it together and supporting each other, i'm new here.. need to lose the last 22 pounds!! refocusing after the holiday

Last edited by nasu27; 01-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #11  
Focus & Determination

Congratulations to you Webwoman Andi on your weight loss! Keep up the good work. You are off to a great start for this year!!

Kris2008-do you like fruit smoothies? They are easy to make and taste great. They fill me up and can be satisfying too.

I live in Australia, so right now it is summer here. The seasons are reversed from what folks have in the U.S.A. I need to enter that on my profile. Thanks for asking.

Welcome to the group Nasu27! Glad to have you here too. Wow, you have lost 41 lbs so far. Great job!!! Are there any special tips that you learned that you can share with us? I hope we can inspire you to keep going to reach your goal and lose the last 22 pounds.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #12  
Focus & Determination

Kris2008, have you thought about doing any small amounts of exercise? Even small amounts can lead to something bigger. I don't know how much you do on a daily basis, but even just starting off small and then after a week or more adding a bit more can help. Starting up exercise programs always makes everyone sore. No way around that one. Just our muscles saying we haven't used them in a while. Perhaps just walking down the block and back for a few days. If its cold out, you can walk circles around in the house, go up and down stairs, or even try to do some modified pushups (knees bent) or situps. They may be hard to do, (they are for me), but just starting off trying to do one, then maybe two the next day for a few days, and then slowly moving to 3 may help. You may be surprised about how many you can do after some time and you will see changes in your body too. I find playing some music I like can help too. Makes it sort of fun and helps me to get through it quicker. What do you think? Is there something that you think you could try?

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-06-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #13  

Corrina - I didn't realize you are Australian! One of my favorite places I've never been! You are so sweet to take the time to counsel me re: fitness. I have an elliptical and treadmill and weights and dogs who like to walk more than anything and every dvd known to man - I have no excuses except laziness! I love walking downtown NOLA - the city has come back so nicely since Katrina. New shops and condos and art studios - so much more life than pre-Katrina. We were dying on the vine here before, lots of new ideas and new people going on now.

I promise to get on my treadmill today (it's raining outside). And I will, at minimum, get on treadmill before work every day this week.

Fruit smoothie - I have recently stocked up on wonderful frozen fruits just for smoothies but I never know what to do for protein. Just fruit would have me dozing very soon after partaking. What do you use for protein?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #14  

Down 2.4. Just 29.6 to go!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #15  
Focus & Determination

Yeah Kris2008!! Good job on that 2.4 lb loss. Keep it up, your getting there!! Sounds like you have a wonderful place to walk too. It is always more fun when the scenery is good. I bet you walk a lot already and don't even realize it.

Treadmill Comittment-now that is what I like to hear. Sounds like your getting in the right frame of mind and not letting that rain pin you down. Go Kris Go!!! I look forward to hearing about how day 1 on the treadmill went for you.

I live in Australia now, but I actually grew up in the U.S.A. As a child, I used to read about Australia and how different the world was there. I made it a goal to get there someday, and eventually I finally reached my goal.

Now I have another goal....to lose weight. As long as I stay focused I will get there. We all will as long as we stay focused. Are you still with me Kris2008, Webwoman Andi, and Nasu27? How are you other ladies doing?

Hey Kris2008, I put about 1/2 to 1 cup of soy milk into my fruit smoothies for protein. I don't drink soy milk by itself, but I do add it to my food and drinks in place of milk. Works good in cereal. I usually get organic malt free. Soy milk is getting more popular in grocery stores now. Usually it is in boxed containers in the refrigerated section or on an isle shelf. You may want to try a few different types first to find one that you like. Try it and let me know what you think.
Closed Thread