Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Karen: Attachment 45288 Hibiscus

Attachment 45289 Southern azalea

Boy they look alike

Last edited by Karen3; 12-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

They sure do! And they are Beautiful!!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #153  

OMG...I am trying slow cooked steel oats in a crockpot. Takes about 7 hrs. That's why doing it now instead of all night long. Don't want to burn them if needs less time. The house smells fabulous! A cup is about 140 cals a serving.

2 apples peeled and chopped
1.5 cups of water
1.5 cups of milk ( used almond milk)
2 Tbs Splenda brown sugar
1.5 tsp cut butter
1 cup steel oats
.5 tsp cinnamon
.25 salt

Pam the crock pot. Add everything stir and slow cook for 7 hours.

Keep well and single serving can be nuked in am. k3

ps really Pam the pot or you will be chipping out oats! So easy. Can't wait to do this during the night imagine waking to that smell
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #154  
Jacksonville, FL

Karen, sounds wonderful!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #155  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick post today as I have to leave for nail appt soon. No sun yet to day but is beginning to lighten up a bit I notice. Dh is missing the sun. We completed our voting (mail) this am. Last night our son surprised us by stoppin in and stayed for dinner. I made scrambled eggs with spinach and dh picked up some French bread to go with it. It was good and an unusual dinner for us. My son is such a good dinner guest because he seems happy with whatever I serve.
My bs is very high today however my weight is still dropping. The nurse in me wonders whether my weight loss has anything to do with my diabetes but I do think I am eating less more consistently so it probably isn't. If I agree to the doc putting me on Byetta (an injectable med), it often helps with weight loss too, however I am concerned about side affects/adverse reactions.

We've had some health concerns in one of our children's family with an emergency room visit. Praying that things will improve. This particular child has had a lot of stress in his life recently.

Gotta run..
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #156  

Still have 2 hrs to go on the steel oats, but I cheated and tasted. Yum, may be my dinner. k3
Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Is that just one serving that you made? What size crock pot do you use? It sounds good and I've thought about trying it but I have a 6 quart size and wonder if it you make enough for like the week or just one serving....
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #158  

I am using my 6 qt pot....Enough for 8 servings I think. But may be one big bowl just for me.

Done when crusty brown edges form

So Easy!

Last edited by Karen3; 10-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #159  

Happy Weekend
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #160  
Jacksonville, FL

Default College football

I LOVE college football! We have 3 Ohio State grads in our kids and lived in the Columbus area for over 40 years before moving south 6 years ago..right now this year we are doing well! I used to have to eat my way through games, now I try not to eat anything....
Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #161  

Thrilled to say that I am now 10# down from when I reset my signature! Of course these are still recycled pounds. Just to inform those who haven't known me long. My highest weight (in my 50s) was 183, but I quickly dropped 10# when I realized that, and I never quite gained that back but I was getting up there again..about 178 at age 59. Just a few months before my 60th birthday, I went on the Prism Weight loss program and lost 33#. putting me at 145, which I only maintained about ten months, then started gaining again. Since then it has been very up and down mostly staying 160-170# except for two? years ago when I went on the Medifast diet and quickly lost to 151# but that only lasted about as long as it took me to lose it (11/2 or 2 months!). I started gaining again, going up and down, until I again got to 170#. I am now 70 years old, and hopefully I have learned my lessons. It is no longer me eating just for taste, it is about eating to be as healthy as I can be.

About 5 or 6 years ago (maybe a little longer?), I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and then obviously became diabetic and 2 or 3 years ago started taking Metformin. Last year (I think it was) the Metformin dosage was upped, but I really haven't had much change with the upped dosage or at least not very long. Except for a little neuropathy I have felt pretty good so kind of was in a long-time state of denial. This year several things have happened so I haven't liked being 70 so well, but even now I can't say I feel unwell from diabetes, although the neuropathy is worse in some ways. But as I see the numbers rise, I know I can no longer deny that I have to change my ways. So as you know I'm now trying to prevent myself from having to take a second medication.

I did well on my eating Yesterday but still my bs was high this morning but better than yesterday morning. Then I just took (before lunch) and it was perfectly normal!! So I still think there is hope and that I am on the right track. If I have to take another med, of course I will but they all have potential bad affects that could really affect my life so I'm trying to avoid it.

Karen3 - How was your oatmeal? I've never tried cooking it that way. Is it mushy/real creamy? I prefer my oatmeal not so creamy, more flaky-like. Dh likes his creamy. So we each fix our own.

Just got home from church and now I need to fix lunch. I hope you all have a blessed Sunday.

Last edited by maryea; 10-28-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #162  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Mary ~ your questions about the oatmeal, brought back a memory of my dad that made me smile. You didn't mess with Dad's oatmeal when it came out of the microwave ~ DO NOT TOUCH IT or STIR IT!!!!! He liked how it came out ~ kind of dry and crusty on top ~ and stirring it ~ messed that up. I cooked it for him at my house one time and got chewed out (in the nicest sort of way) for stirring it up. I thought I was doing a good thing
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #163  

I am so happy to say today I am out of the 160s...not by much but it made me feel good to see 159 on the scale. I hope it holds. Now I wish my bs would go down too. I think I ate too many carbs last night so will be more careful today. Think I may try eliminating my mochas...I have been taught to go by the number of carbs not the food but I know some people say they can't handle certain foods so I am going to try to give it up for a while. Hard to do, I've tried before and then went back to them but I will try. At times my bs comes down nicely after drinking one so I think I'm ok with them but other times it doesn't so I'm not sure whether it's a problem anymore than any other food but I feel I have to try everything.

More good news today! Dh got his hearing aides!! It took a long time but it is worth it to see him so happy and excited. He is hearing sounds he never realized were there and he's watching TV and I can hardly hear it back here in my office...it usually feels like it is assaulting my ears and even seemed to vibrate or echo throughout the whole house. So much more restful now! Thank you Lord!! They even came with bluetooth so he can use them to make phone calls in the car (via a thing he wears around his neck) or to listen to music at the gym. No longer needs his headphone. What a blessing. LOL He told me my voice is too loud ...I have learned to raise it so he could hear...now I hope I can learn to tone it down.

Glynne - that's how dh is...he used to fix his oatmeal on top of the stove and he put it in the cold water and cooked it, stirring from time to time. That made it too creamy for me. Now he does in the microwave like your dad and it gets kind of crusty on top, but he does stir it after he takes it out and adds cremora and brown sugar to it I think. I don't mess with it. LOL I cook mine on the stove...let the water come to a boil, drop in the oats, and cook 5 min.(not steel cut). I love it but since the diverticulitis, I haven't eaten it. Will try it soon though as the mornings are getting pretty cool.

Last edited by maryea; 10-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #164  

Maryea I,m so happy for your loss that's awesome. Its raining like crazy here the last 3 days. we are headed to anch for dr apts tomorrow. not much else going on. ttfn rosey
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #165  
Jacksonville, FL

Good job, Mary, you have to work hard but are doing it!
Closed Thread