A high intensity workout that burns fat quickly is cardio kickboxing. This fast paced, action packed exercise regimen can burn up to 450 calories per hour. Cardio kickboxing is a combination of martial arts, boxing and aerobics in one fun class. This type of dynamic exercise can whip anyone into shape fast. Here are some do’s and don’t’s for the beginning kickboxer.
- Do start with the beginner workout. This can help you learn the moves correctly. By learning the proper technique, there is a smaller chance for injury. If you learn cardio kickboxing at a gym, studio, or fitness center, they will have all of the equipment. You will not need to buy anything.
- Do drink plenty of water before, during and after the workout. Stay hydrated. Try to drink half of your body weight in water ounces per day. Maintaining a proper hydration will help your body work more efficiently.
- Do make sure you stretch before the workout. Stretching and warming up are good ways to prevent injuries and muscle soreness.
- Do wear good quality shoes. Because this workout involves a lot of kicking and moving around, you need good support for your body. Shoes that are higher on the ankle are ideal because they give the ankle area more support.
- Do release stress. Kickboxing is a great way to get out all of that frustration and stress from the week. Punch and kick it away!
- Don’t exercise beyond what you can handle. Kickboxing is a high intensity workout. Do not feel pressured to complete an entire hour long class initially. Make your workout goal to get up to that amount of time.
- Don’t overextend or lock your kicks or punches into any position. Locking into a position can create problems with your joints.
- Don’t forget to warm up or cool down. Doing a slow warm up gets those muscles ready for the fight. In a class, they typically incorporate a warm up at the beginning of the class and cool down at the end of the workout. These usually last a few minutes but they are extremely beneficial to the muscles.
- Don’t overtrain. Overexertion can cause many problems. If you are completing a workout and cannot breath, take a few minutes to rest. Do not be afraid to stop and get a drink of water. You should be able to carry on a conversation during this exercise. If you are not able to, then you are training too hard. Slow the pace.
- Don’t forget to take a rest day. You should not do this type of workout every day. A few days a week are best. Your muscles have worked hard and they deserve a day to repair and rest. Initially start kickboxing one to two days per week. Do not overdo it.
Cardio kickboxing is a wonderful workout. It burns fat and calories fast. It tones the body quickly. One even learns some valuable moves for self defense. This fast paced, fun workout can be enjoyed by people of all ages and exercise ability. Give it a try! You’re body will be glad you did.