Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Finally did another lifting session yesterday. I've been avoiding it since the weekend, but if I didn't do it soon I'd end up with DOMS again, and that's not cool. Nice long session, PR'd on everything. Exhausted by the time I was done, so I just curled up on the floor for like 1/2 an hour before I was strong enough to crawl to the shower. My eating is going okay so far, I'm hitting my protein goals and staying under my calorie limit. No movement on scale, but clothes are all getting "bigger" lol. Which is good, but I'd certainly like to see the scale move, even just 1/2 a pound.

Sundove - I'm not really a car naming type of person. I just call them by their make or model. My dad says I sound like a snooty rich person when I call it The Benz, but I kind of like it. Movie night was fun as usual, but our show is almost over and we are going to have to pick something else. That is the hardest part.

Zoniegirl - A political discussion meetup? That sounds fascinating. How did it go?

flower123 - I hope your eyes are doing better. I've only had to have my eyes dilated twice, and they were both before I could drive myself, but I remember them being totally miserable experiences. I'm super sensitive to light anyway, so I ended up spending the rest of the day in bed with a pillow over my head. If the lamps are antiques it is probably better to have someone qualified to check them out. You really don't want things catching fire in the walls! It is a sweet car. Used luxury cars (especially from Florida) are the way to go. Older people buy them new, but don't use them very much, and they don't have much of a resale value because when people want a luxury car they generally want a new one. Works out well for me! Also, I'm pretty sure that peaches and carrots are fruits and veggies and therefore totally healthy! Don't beat yourself up too much. I personally don't let myself go to the store when I'm hungry. It is best to go right after I eat, I behave much better then.

snapple - Sorry about your eye issues when you were younger, does it still cause you trouble? I have a couple of methods I'll use for sandwiches. I usually start by trying to find a similar sandwich at a chain restaurant that posts nutrition info, then I just copy that. If that doesn't work, then I estimate the ingredients and add them in individually, but I tend to over estimate as much as possible, since I'm probably underestimating, and hopefully it evens out. Presumably you are talking about a purchased sandwich, if I made it myself it would all be measured out to the gram on my kitchen scale. I even bought a tiny little purse version but my level of crazy has not quite descended to the level of actually using it in public. I don't want to pressure you into something you decided against, but I will say that I was very against medication for my depression for the longest time, and I made myself (and everyone around me) miserable for several years before I finally gave in. It made a huge difference for me, and I was able to wean myself off after 9 months. And that's all I'll say about meds going forward.

Syckgirlsfv - I'm always wishing there was a Costco or Sams around here, although with just me, I don't know why I need one, lol. I still get in the mindset that I planning meals and shopping for a family of 11. After 5 years I still can't manage to make less than 6 servings of soup! Great job on getting in that long bike ride in the rough winds. As annoying as it is, I bet that the great for hitting all your little stabilizer muscles.

Diana - I'm so glad that your new friends are respectful of your choices (or at least completely uninterested, lol). They sound like really nice people. Congrats on the end of TOM. That has to be a relief. How are things looking with the storm? Still heading your direction? That is interesting about the blue light causing insomnia. I've always had a problem with blue light, I can't be around them, especially in the dark or I get all anxious and crazy. I used to put duck tape over any in the house, and I've refused to drive cars that have blue lights on the instrument panel. I thought I was just a nutcase. I'm pretty sure I have some level of Misophonia and possibly Misokinesia as well.

Zoë - Knitting is a great way to avoid food. Don't want to get crumbies all over the project!

Nichola - We always had a garden when I was growing up, which I did not appreciate at the the time. Planting, weeding, picking, canning was all a bunch of work that I did NOT want to do. But I miss having the food to eat, it was so much better than anything you can buy at the store. My mom made pickled beets and tomato soup that were absolutely fabulous. I'd like to at least grow some peppers and broccoli next year. My biggest problem is that 95% of my yard is deep deep shade, which makes things rather tricky. Too bad about the races, I was looking forward to having a fabulously wealthy friend! Good job with the buffet. I still have "get your money's worth" programmed in my head for those.

Teri000 - Both Dandelion Root tea and Cranberry juice can help with water retention. Mine is usually caused by an excess of sodium, so I just drink a lot of plain water.

kelijpa - I tried doing meditations back when I was struggling with depression. I never was very good at it. I found it massively relaxing, to the point I could be listening to a meditation audiofile, and actually fall asleep while driving down the road. Also, lol on the motivation to do motivation meditation. If you figure it out, please share!

IdealProteinNewbie - That makes sense they would just average it out for the whole bird. I generally only eat the breast out of a rotisserie chicken, so I just generally use a regular chicken breast when I input it into MFP.

Sassypants - Glad to have you posting again. Which site are you using for the contest? I've done dietbet in the past and I'm doing a 6 month one right now, but I'm not familiar with any others.

Chunkahlunkah - Those beanie weanies sounds so good (except the mustard, can't have a particle of that near my food!). Doesn't everything taste better when caramelized in a cast iron skillet? It has gotten to the point that the only things I even cook in are my cast iron skillets or my cast iron dutch oven. Everything tastes so good!

Well, I've basically written a book this morning. Hi to those I missed!

Last edited by MonteCristo; 10-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #107  

10/6

Weight - 140.0

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast:
coffee w/half and half

Lunch:
chicken with mushrooms
spinach
laughing cow cheese

Snack:
Halotop ice cream

Dinner:
Little Caesar's hawaiian pizza (one slice)

Total calories:

Exercise:
8012 steps

I discovered Halotop ice cream yesterday. 240 calories in the pint, low carb and high protein. It does taste good - not quite like ice cream but yummy. It's expensive - I got it at Whole Foods - but I recommend it! I got the lemon flavor.

My classes at night are proving to be a challenge. Last week we ordered pizza, but I left early. Tonight they ordered again, and I had to stay to finish some work. I managed to resist for a while, and took the smallest piece. I need to bring my own food I guess. My calories are fine, but I really don't want to eat junk. I don't even like Little Caesars, but I was hungry!

Monte - great job on the lifting!

Syckgirl - that salad sounds really good! I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. I do wish they sold smaller portions because I'm probably the only one in my house who will eat it!

Chunk - I may have to make some beanie weenies next time we go camping. We always have hot dogs and baked beans - just not usually in the same pot!

Good thoughts to all of those in the path of Matthew. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they fear. Also hoping it doesn't swing around and hit me in Alabama!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #108  

Unhappy October 2016 goals

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all of your responses regarding water weight: Monte Cristo, flower 123, and sgelegirlsfy (I don't think I got that last one right...girly, you need a simple name. Hope that I did not miss anyone else.

I'm having doctor problems right now. I've got new insurance...for over a year, and the advise I get is making me worse. Meds are not right. Health care is really sick care. The politics is very disturbing. And I do not make a good sheep.

My mom had eye problems and was told she'd be blind by the age of 70, but she still had her eye sight in her 90's. I had some eye problems when I was younger...went to 6 MDs and no one would talk to me. It was so frustrating and scary. Then I read some medical books and that empowered me. I just try not to get upset, eat healthy, and exercise. BUT I know sometimes you really need mds. Damn. Pardon my French.

216/217.6/214

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
EXERCISE: did cardio 30 min and some gardening, no abs.
DIET: no frappe/ice cream cone, fiber bars, apple cider vinegar.
OTHER: sorted some stuff in den, contacted garden person.

GOALS:
EXERCISE: swim 5-6 days/wk, abs, gardening.
DIET: record desserts, cut back on fat, drink more water, apple cider vinegar
Mindfulness, read book, don't eat when I am not hungry, don't eat standing up, in car, in front of fridge, in front of tv.
OTHER: sort boxes in den, bedroom, garage.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #109  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelijpa View Post

Syckgirlsfv I'm currently using coffeemate spiced latte, it is quite good if you lie a chai sort of thing, I sometimes use both creamer and half and half as I don't like my coffee overly sweet.
I have seen that flavor in International Delight...maybe I'll try it. Looks good, and I don't like it very sweet, either...just CREAMY!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #110  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Nicoley - Idk what put it in my head, but I've been thinking you were English this whole time! Alabama is a beautiful state. In my night class (7 - 10), students take turns bringing in snacks each week. At first, I was hesitant to eat them, but then I decided to go ahead so long as I kept cals below 300. How many days do you have night classes?

Monte - You're completely right. The cast iron skillet is the magic ingredient. it imparts such a good flavor, and I love what it does for the texture. You can send all mustard particles my way. I love it! I'm going to test out my telekinetic powers and attempt to get your scale number to drop. Clothes getting looser is the best kind of weight loss but I understand wanting to see that number go down sometimes too.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 206/189.4/150

Height: 5'4"

Hello, I'm new to any kind of forum not sure I'm doing this right.....

Need some kinda support as I don't feel much in my day to day life on the weight loss front. Don't get me wrong my family and friends are amazing, just not so much on the weight loss.

I feel like when I count calories and exercise I do very well, but with kids, work, and dating life it can be hard to do both or either at all.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #112  
Shorty getting fit

Tacos in Texas! You have the most delicious name I've ever seen.

Yup, you're in the perfect spot. Thanks for joining us! Feel free to post about whatever helps you stay on track. People post different things, whether it's their meals or goals or progress or odes to beanie weenies.

Happy to have you here!

When you calorie count, do you use an app like My Fitness Pal or do it by hand?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #113  
Shorty getting fit

So tragic how many lives Matthew has taken.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #114  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

morning!

quick one - trying to put out the flames that my insurance company has ignited! the renewal came through and they added over $300!!! They always up our miles per year and then my agent has to go in and lower it again. My DH works from home, for crying out loud! He barely drives his truck, new or not. He is through the rood right now, thank the good Lord I am not home with him! And I have a good record. ARGH!!!

B - 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 canadian bacon
s - maybe greek yogurt/nuts
l - deli turkey slices, reduced swiss, green beans
d - tbd maybe make more turkey muffins but with riced cauliflower this time

exercise - not sure, frustrated with riding in the wind, maybe a walk

Last edited by Syckgirlsfv; 10-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 246/see ticker/160 or less

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Catch up time

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well today!

Flower - hope your doctor appointment went well. I hate getting my eyes dilated. I get dizzy. I'm sorry you have had such difficulties with your eyes and your diagnoses, doctors, etc. I have a family history of both glaucoma and macular degeneration. So, I've started getting my eyes checked more frequently. Sending positive vibes your way for your health.

Snapple - I might be a little late in chiming in regarding your depression and exercise question, but here goes...I can definitely relate with what you are going through. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2005. Since then, I've tried probably 20 different psych meds in different combinations. During this time, I have had periods of stability and periods of severe episodes of both mania, depression and psychosis. Mental illness is widely misunderstood, even by doctors, and treatment is more of an art than a science. I have experienced periods of significant weight loss when I stopped eating due to depression and periods of significant weight gain due to the psych meds (like 100 pounds in 6 months!). I'm still trying to lose all of the weight from my gain in 2007. What has helped me is never giving up hope that things WILL get better, getting the right cocktail of meds, (which can be very tricky to determine and unfortunately can take time), counseling (cognitive behavior therapy), support groups for mental illness, family/friend support, spirituality, establishing a regular schedule for eating, sleeping, and exercise, proper nutrition, limited alcohol, and stress reduction. I tried to set small goals for making healthy changes, and if I got overwhelmed, I tried not to beat myself up and kept trying. I agree with the advice everyone has given. Sending you postive vibes!

Syck - Costco is dangerous for me, too! Great job on your bike ride, despite the poor conditions.

Diana - prayers for you and everyone in the path of the hurricane. Thanks for the info on the blue light and insomnia. I've actually brought water flavor enhancers and diet butter spray to restaurants, so I know what you mean about your Tupperware concern.

Sundove - I really liked your comment about the impulse brain and the thinking brain. It helps to explain why spontaneous, unexpected challenges often trip me up. My grandma's favorite saying was "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." Next time I'm faced with an urge, I'll try to wait before acting to let the thinking brain catch up! I agree with everyone else about the calories in the chicken. I hope you get to visit the other parts of Arizona as I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Hong Kong- glad to hear you had fun at the races! That's how I pick my horses, too! That and the colors of the silks. Very analytical method! Re: learning Spanish, you might try some of the online tutorials, like Duolingo. Totally free and not bad. I use that to try to keep up my French.

Teri - re: water weight, I drink lots of water, avoid sodium, and eat asparagus, like some others have suggested.

Ideal Protein - welcome or welcome back! Great ticker! Congrats on your losses!

Sassy - good luck on your weight loss challenge! I know you can do it!

Chunk - the beanie weenie sounded gourmet and delicious! You really cracked me up with your Seven movie comment!

Cool mom - thanks for checking in. The knitting and Spanish sound like great fun!

Monte - your workouts are so intense! Very inspiring! Hope you see a scale drop soon and I'm glad your clothes are looser.

Nicoley - thanks for the tip re: Halotop ice cream! I'll have to check it out.

Tacos - welcome! Hope you find lots of support here and good luck on your goals.

Greetings and support to anyone I missed!

I haven't posted my calories/exercise in a couple of days since I've been so busy. So, I'll just recap...did pretty well on Tuesday and Wednesday, stayed within my calories and exercised both days. I'm having a hard time managing my sodium. It tends to be high with things like tuna, cottage cheese, salsas/taco sauce for flavoring, salad dressing, etc. Not sure what to do about that other than to look for low sodium options.

I ate out on Tuesday night and made a poor choice with Cobb salad, plus dressing. It came with a low-fat blueberry muffin and I caved and ate it. I should have gone for the meatloaf with extra veggies. Oh well, live and learn!

Today's plan - calories 1529; carbs 88; fat 74; protein 148; sodium 2,837; sugar 41.

Exercise - walked 3.2 miles with dogs...it was cool early this morning! Estimated to burn 300 calories.

Re: the meet ups, they are going well. The political discussion group was great! It was stimulating, but not too controversial because it was a group of like-minded women. It is not easy to be blue in a red state, so we have to stick together! The drumming circle was also successful. We had 4 people this time and have plans to grow. I got to try playing the drum my stepmom gave me. It is bigger and has a deeper sound. We had two people of partial Native American blood. So, they had a lot to contribute regarding spiritual quests, sweat lodges, talking sticks, traditions like saging, etc. It was fascinating! The tarot meet up was good, too. We had a group of about 20 people and will receive instructions on doing single card readings at our next get together.

Hope everyone has a great day and stays strong! Sorry for the long post, but I had a lot to catch up on! BTW, I added a profile pic of one of my 3 dogs. I hope it works, with the pixels and everything. He's only a year and a half and is a handful!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 206/189.4/150

Height: 5'4"

Chunk: I use the live strong app. I've used it in the past, but sometimes I get frustrated with it, people don't always list what is a serving of the particular item, or I can't find what I'm looking for.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #117  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Tacos_in_Texas Hi and welcome to the check-in.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 246/see ticker/160 or less

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Profile pic

Can anyone help me with posting a profile pic? I tried to upload one from both my IPad and my phone and neither one worked. Not sure why? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoniegirl View Post
Can anyone help me with posting a profile pic? I tried to upload one from both my IPad and my phone and neither one worked. Not sure why? Thanks!
There is a size limit. Not sure what it is, but make sure you are within guidelines. Other than that, I've never had any problem adding a picture, however, I always use a computer, not a phone or ipad.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #120  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

HI Everyone!

So far, I haven't done any stress eating. I hope we don't lose power, although I don't realistically think that's possible. If I don't check-in you will know that the power is out for me. I will be back as soon as possible. Please send prayers our way for as less impact as possible and the best outcome possible. I think I used the word "possible" too much but you know what I mean.

Total Approx 1550 Calories +

Breakfast (400 Calories + coffee)
spritz olive oil in pan
XL egg 80 cal
egg whites from carton 60 calories
300g. Mediterranean Blend Veggies 90 calories
14 g. Organic Valley feta cheese 30 calories
1 T. tomato paste 10 calories
1/2 Rudi's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Flatz 45 calories
1 T. pumpkin butter 25 calories
juice equivalent to 60 calories
coffee w/sugar/stevia blend and cream

Lunch (700 calories)
Outback bread 100 calories
Salad w/salmon & BHF's ranch 600 calories

Dinner (450 calories)

sandwich made w/
2 thin slices Dave's killer break 120 calories
Olive Oil mayo 50 calories
lettuce (?)
2 pieces ham 70 calories
2 pieces turkey 50 calories
1 piece American cheese 60 calories
large apple 100 calories

Exercise:
I had some last minute things to do and really couldn't focus on a formal workout with the pending hurricane. Met a friend at church to do some cleaning. The ladies have decided to take on the cleaning of the church. We did the vacuuming. It was a couple hours so I guess that counts as a some extra movement.

I doubt I will be able to workout much in the next couple of days.

Last edited by Diana3271; 10-06-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Closed Thread