Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #376  
Spreadin' the luv.

Exclamation Dollar alert

Dollar my dear, you're doing WONderfully!! Huge congratulations on hitting the 90-lb. mark!

I'll leave it to more experienced/successful Losers to help you through this on a practical level, but please remember that I believe in you and your strength. I know it's a bit of a cliche, but the fact that you've lost 90 pounds is testament to that. Pull out your little victories from the past (your weight loss journey so far must be full of them) and savor them, and get through this with the Losers' help!

Nothing terrible's going to happen. I know the fear of losing ground that has been so painstakingly gained, but that's not YOUR story, sister! I know you can beat this!

Sending you joy...
Old 08-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #377  
deleted2

Dollar, Fear of success seems to be a common theme when losing weight. I know that it is for me. When i'm doing so well, so close to my goal weight, something happens. It's like a get too cocky, I panic, and I lose ground.
"This time" [how many times can I say that? as many as it takes! ], I'm trying to be painfully aware of the things that trip me up.
Always keep in mind how far you've come. You're doing splendidly now, because you're aware of it and can do a bit of detective work to see what's at the bottom of it.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:01 AM   #378  

Thanks for the support it is what I need, I will strive to be here more often as I did in the past.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #379  
Empress/Queen

Dollar, it's great to see you here! Believe me what you're going through is a normal part of the weight loss game. You're doing wonderfully, the body and mind ALWAYS (IMNHO) react this way ... the more you fear going back where you were, the more you start to feel burnout with your long struggle, the more your body takes time to adjust ... it's to some degree biology ... your body and mind just need time to adjust ... it takes a LONG time ... in the meantime, just hang on to the fact that you are 90 pounds from where you started and THAT WOULD TAKE A LONG TIME TO GAIN BACK ... so if you go up a few pounds temporarily, where's the fire!? It'll all even out if you stay nice and calm!!!

Wildfire, I'm so glad your ordeal is over ... what was that maintenance guy THINKING turning off the water after you guys had just been through a major blackout! Sheesh!

I posted this on the 21-day thread but my romance writing seminar turned out to be writing for social change, which (sorry) I'm not interested in, having paid my dues writing serious stuff until the cows come home and now wanting to have some fun ... I stayed anyway and it was rather tedious and confrontational. Should have stayed in bed!

Sorry for the short answers ... I'm kind of back to feeling that I can only handle one thread at a time but I miss everyone on here.

I'm starting a new 21-dayer today, crashed last night, weight the same, which is good because it was up midweek, so that's my on topic thing for today!!! Going to really push to meet that Labor Day goal with my new 21-dayer!

Later, gators. Have to work today.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #380  
deleted2

Amarantha, I meant to tell you that the event I had to cater was one of those 2-day county planning meetings. I guess if you're heavily into local politics it's okay, but what I heard sounded so dry and boring. I kept thinking, 'this is what the Empress has to sit thru?' Bless you, dear one....It's no wonder you'd turn to the comfort of Krispy Kreme from time to time!

Old 08-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #381  
caffeine free!

Hello,
Still holding strong. I am doing well eatingwise, but gosh, I am having trouble sleeping. I guess it is work anexiety.

Just got off hte phone with my father. He reroofed his garage this morning. What a net, it is so hot out. He finished for the day though, so at least he has the sense not to work when the day is at its hottest.

Went and saw the play Nickeled and Dimed. It was very good, although a bit simplistic, which I guess is the same problem that I had with the book, but I agree with the message. The acting was excellent.

At any rate, I need to go forth and get stuff done, little as I want to. It is so hot I would rather sit arround and do nothing.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #382  
Spreadin' the luv.

Thumbs down Happy Sunday!!

Hello, my dears.

...and to cap off our move to Seattle, my friend in MI sent me some Ginseng Tea scented, stone-shaped little amber and creme colored candles as a housewarming gift! Mmmmm. Caaaaandles.

God, ZadieK, you are always reporting in with triumphant eating habits! What's your secret? Man, I hope work stuff smoothes out for you before you lose too much more sleep. Is it the hired/not yet hired thing that's getting to you?

Amarantha, thanks a million times for your encouragement and many thoughts on my counting calories dilemma. It's so overwhelmingly confusing, listening to you, who's lost 100lbs counting the calories, and listening to SIL, who's the picture of womanly strength, a personal trainer, has a degree in nutrition, but who hasn't been fat a day in her life. Drat!

I've come to some peace about it, though. For this 21-day block, I'm gonna stick to just limiting portion size and eating only to satiation (and obviously making healthy food choices) and see if I get results. If not, hang SIL and I'm counting calories the next block!! And I'm gonna exercise my butt off, of course.

Punkin, your kitty litter story was so inspirational, it almost made me a bit weepy. Geez! You have dropped a serious, serious load off your precious feeties!! I am so proud of you! It's funny, I'm about 90 pounds overweight, and I can't actually lift that at all! Isn't that the weirdest thing? Fifty pounds is about how much I can lift before things start pinging and popping in my back...

How's Muther? Are the anti-nausea meds really making her feel less yucky after chemo? That'd be such a relief, I'd think. Is she still sore from her tumble off her horsey?

Anagram, I'd sure like to meet your Mom. I'm always very, very drawn to others with a bit o' naughty in their sense of humor! I wish rest and joy for you, and really, really good time with your Mom. Your and Punkin's experiences are making me call my darling Mumsies a lot more often. Thank you for sharing your life and helping me in this way...

Wildfire, how's DD? Tell me, is the name "Wildfire" indicative of any...traits that run in the female side of your family? Just curious. It would sure be a perfect description of MY temper! I'm glad your power outage is over for the moment! I'm so sorry to hear that you were alone for so much of it. Can't your Apt. managers put in emergency battery lighting in the hallways? Geez.

Arabeeeeella....How did your call go? Did it already happen? I'm on pins and needles here...

OK, I know I've missed some of you, but the dishes beckon. Mission for today: blast some music that makes you feel incredibly good. I've got "Adeimus" up in the red levels on our stereo right now. Do it!

Much love to you all...
Old 08-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #383  

Hello all!

Anagram- Am so sorry to hear your mom is not doing well--
Please know we are always here for you and that this is the safe place to vent- and vent and vent....

Empress- Maybe we still can get the round robin off the ground and sorry your seminar wasnt what you hoped for.

Computers are back up at work but now the refrain is " Are you caught up yet!?!" GRRRRRRR...........
AND THEN...
We've been down at home! Did you miss me??

We had the help desk on the phone so many times they recognize our voices!! But whether the blackout, the worm, or what ever-- we're back!

Yesterday am we had another family issue. We don't have the whole story but we do know DS is without a job again. DH saw the work uniform earlier this week and when it couldnt be produced yesterday, we knew something had happened. The version we are getting is: "a loud disagreement w/the bus boys regarding tips ". DS is blaming everyone (including us) rather than himself.
And is outraged that DH has told him the "Daddy ATM" is empty. DS argued that " big weekend plans" would empty his pockets and we should cover his expenses till the next job turns up.
Instead, DH told DS that the locks had been changed and DS would be leaving the house when we left and not coming back into the house until we returned.

Perhaps this sounds harsh to some of you. DS has has lost many jobs for many controllable reasons. He has a history of letting us pay for "gas and cigs" inbetween each job while he sleeps till noon and "hangs out" all night.
And is not shy about telling DH that this is what a "real father would do to help out a child".
By the way, DS is 23 years old.

DS will not consider any 12 step meetings as " I don't have a real problem" yet cannot pass a drug test for a job.

So, DS is outraged that we expect him to find a job rather than sleep all day and will not give him any money. He keeps telling us he is "good for it " although we have seen nothing since last December. I won't even list what he owes us above and beyond rent ( and we know rent is a lost cause anyway).

So, because DS cannot tolerate how "unsupportive" we are, DS decided "I'm staying out all night then".

I've said this b/4 but I just have to say it again---
I will never ever say, "Well look how they were raised" -- Both DH and myself have worked all of our lives-- even gone to work sick.

Our mistake, allowing this to go on too long--
but we did think DS had finally "matured" when he was at one job almost a year.

Sorry for going on so long... but I appreciate you listening!

In fact, Frogger, I am very familiar w/ Adderol. Just wish DS was taking it--- about 7 yrs ago, a doctor told us (in front of DS) that as long as he smoked, taking it would be a waste of time. That the nicotine counteracted -- True or not, I have no idea. But it exactly what DS wanted to hear since " I don't need that stuff anyway, there is nothing wrong w/ me, its just everyone else".
Frogger, does your DH belong to an adult ADHD support group??
I am convinced that this a major key for DS but he has to decide this for himself.
All though, we do see that DS drinks Mountain Dew and coffee now and I believe he's getting some of same benefits as the ADHD medicine but of course, on a much smaller level.

also have a Thought for the day:
Only you can help the sun rise each morning,"
---Joan Baez

Question of the day :

"Do you prefer your tea hot or cold?"

Going to see what's been posted the past couple days!
Take care all!
Old 08-17-2003, 04:25 PM   #384  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Fly-by Postie:

Hello, Wonderful Women! I got definite notification on the job, it's mine! Yayyy! And MIL left today. She was supposed to go last night, but her flight was delayed twice and then finally cancelled --- after she'd gone through security and we'd returned home. We had to go back and wait for hours for her to get a voucher for her flight today, and then get up pre-dawn to get her to her plane this morning. I'm exhausted! I was very excited about the job yesterday, and I'm sure I will be again as soon as I've got a decent night's sleep.

Love to all -- I'm thinking about you all, even if I don't have the energy to write a decent post
Old 08-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #385  

Hi all, Im having a much better day today, as a matter of fact I haven't eaten anything Im not suppose to. I haven't actually counted my points today but in writing but I know I have stayed on track. Tomorrow I will go back to journaling now that Im felling better about things.
sorry Im not up to date on everyone but I sure will try to stay up to speed. I pray that all of you and your families get through all your challenges that you are facing.
Well I have to run I can smell my supper so it must be about ready. Take care all.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:08 PM   #386  
Empress/Queen

Yowza! Fly-by as I keep napping instead of working. Just two more stories to go, though!

Eydie, yup, those are the kind of things I cover ... planning meetings, councils, school boards, with some profiles and the like. Usually we don't have food, though ... the boards sometimes have food when they retire to executive session, but we (press and staff people who sit outside and wait) don't see any of it ... which is a GOOD thing, especially if it were catered by you because you're the of cooks and you really MUST stop making those cookies, unless you decide to market them and retire rich ... maybe the white chocolate/cranberry ones you used to talk about?

Ah, I digress!

Arabella: and congratulations on your new job! You deserve it and you'll be wonderful at it!!!

Kaylets: Sorry ds is giving you fits again. Since I am childless (unfortunately), unless you count Old Dog, Silly Cat and the Budgie Boys, anything I say would probably not be too helpful. The closest thing to comfort I can think of is that he's only 23 and has lots of time to shape up ... and you know, most people do grow out of these kinds of behaviors. None of what you say sounds harsh to me ... if my horoscope today hadn't told me not to give people advice when they are only venting, I'd tell you what I would do if such a situation occurred!!!

QOD: Since I moved to Arizona, I prefer cold tea, coffee, everything!

I gotta go finish work!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #387  
Spreadin' the luv.

Lightbulb Kaylets is back!

Kaylets, I DID miss you!

I'm also childless, by choice, but as someone who was 23 five years ago, do what you have to do, lady! You raised the kid and I daresay you did a damned good job, now it's time for you to mother yourself and let DS learn the hard facts of life. Ramon and I had to - we had married by age 23 and moved to Texas with no family down there. I say this while remembering with gratitude the generous Christmas presents and "help" from our parents when we've moved or the car went down for the last time. We're still paying them back.

I'm glad that you and DH are being firm and I sincerely, anxiously hope that DH didn't get his feelings hurt by what DS said to him. I just got out of a job with a 25yo guy who still lived with his parents, spent his paycheck on his jacked-up truck and $180 sunglasses (I wish I were exaggerating), and didn't actually work at work. Your son won't be that guy, Kaylets, because you've given him boundaries. I'm proud of you, and soon your great genes will come to the fore in DS's personality and he'll grow up a little.

Sermon over. I'm glad you're back.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:33 PM   #388  

Default Congrats Arabella!

Arabella, I am so excited for you! Its so great when people who work hard get the rewards they deserve!!
YAHOO!!

Empress- Thanks for the encouragement... again I am finding that just putting things in writing do help-- and finding out many parents go thru very similiar circumstances does help.

Dollar-- Isnt it amazing how quickly those old habits jump up as soon as they think we're not paying attention?? Just try to think of this as a "heavy traffic" part of your journey- you will get there, you can even see your destination- You ARE DOING GREAT!!
Keep smiling-- you're AMAZING!

Cerise- I also compare myself w/ everyone else and have to force myself to stop-- The first time I joined WW''s was in highschool when I felt "enormous" next to the size 0's -- when I see those photos now!!! I try to remember that - I wouldnt try to force my feet into shoes two or three sizes too small, and if I'm really honest, I wouldnt want to live their lives either. Most of the people I know have just as many problems or more ...
You're still healthier now than before and you are only going to improve... I think you're AMAZING too!

in fact, all of us are ! Punin, Bobeena, Eydie, Wildfire, Dollar, Zaydie, Scooby, WSW, Frogger.... we are wonderful- we are clever, funny, inventive, flexible, thoughtful......

In fact,
Regarding the Round Robin-- if we posted right here, BUT marked the subject line so we knew that the post was the "novel" would to differeniate (sp?) the novel from regular posts? How many of us are interested in trying our hand at this little excercise??
Any ideas on how we'd know it was our turn??

I'm tired tonight-- think I'll log out and get things ready for the am

Take care all!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #389  
Hot Stuff

Hello chicklets!

So, here I am on the last eve of freedom. Back to work in the morning and entering the gates of ****, with no return ticket in sight for at least four months. Our fiscal year end is August 31st, and around the second week of September I'm starting a new position so I'll be learning the new job during the day and working overtime evenings and weekends on the fiscal year end. I insisted, however, that it be PAID overtime or it wasn't going to happen. They need me, so they couldn't argue it. As much as it will be tiring and stressful, the extra money will make it worthwhile. So if I'm scarce it's because I'm working, but I'll try to send a postcard when I can.

Kaylets, you know I know all too well how you are feeling with DS, as I went through it with my first husband. You just want to shake him and say "grow up and take responsibility for your actions", but it would fall on deaf ears until he wants to hear it. You and DH do what is best for the two of you, because you can't do what is best for DS. He has to be the one to do it. I know I won't have time for the Round Robin, but it would be fun to see what the rest of you come up with!

Cerise, do what you feel is right regarding the calorie counting or not. Try it SIL's way and see if you make any progress, if not, then count 'em! It's all trial and error. I've done lots of different things, and I know I do better if I keep track of everything somehow, otherwise my guesstimates are often way off! You're right about the "Wildfire"....I have the Campbell temper...slow to burn but once it ignites, take cover because no one is safe! My grandmother tells me I'm JUST like she is and that's why we butted heads so much when I was younger. She's one dynamic lady, so I'm proud to follow in her footsteps. DD seems happy at my sis's, and my sis got a new kitten yesterday, so she's ecstatic about that. We'll see how she gets along when school starts and she has to get down to work. Oh, we do have emergency lights in the halls, but they only last for a couple of hours because we don't have a generator.

Dollar, glad to hear you're back in control! Keep going!

Arabella, was there ever any doubt you'd get the job? Show 'em what you can do!

Did I see BoBeena pop in? Hi!

QOD: I like my tea scalding hot and strong enough to walk across. (I've been known to burn guests.)

Gosh, it's 7pm already! Better get lunches packed so I stay OP and iron clothes, etc. I'll post when I can, and you all take care of yourselves!
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #390  
caffeine free!

Hello,
Just stopping by to catch up with everything.

Arabella - congrats! Most excellent.

Kaylets - I am another childless one. I do hang out at a coffee shop that is populated by 12 steppers, and I think that one of the consistent things for most of them is that they untimately had to make a choice to get clean. Has DS expressed any interest in school or any particular career path? 23 is such an unfocused age for some people. Very frustrating.

QOD: hot. I think iced is ok, but generally hot tea of any kind black, green. oolong or herbal. Coffee in my world is also hot, and iced coffee is a big yuck.

Cerise - yes the not hired/hired thing is really getting to me. I figured it out today and even if I am not hired I should be ok till November, so the preasure is off a bit. As to my eating habits, I think it is one area of my life that I am able to exercise a good deal of controll and so I concentrate on that. I think that whether you calorie count or just say "no more junk" whatever works for you and feels good is the program that you should follow.

At any rate, have a good evening y'all.
Closed Thread