Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #316  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Angry Vacation Friday

I'm back, but still on vacation.

QOD...wisdom. Humanity....their life experiences?
Some people are "old" by definition because they act old...fuddy duddy, you know? I've met "old" teenagers. I guess my first response was to what we know...old doesn't necessarily mean wise....I've met some stupid people....I guess old is not adaptable?

Now that my brain is really snarled for the day guess I'll just mosey on. Thanks Kaylets....I needed an intellectual boost!

Yea Cerise! Employment is always good....exercise with employment is even better!

Belated b-day wishes to Wildfire

Ceara
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #317  
Empress/Queen

Default It was a dark and stormy night ...

Ok, Kaylets, I just saw your Round Robin idea and I think it would be fun! Mostly writing is a job to me, one I no longer like, but the Round Robin novels are a blast ... since you proposed the idea, Kaylets, I'd say the mantle falls to thee to start the ball rolling!!!

Can we agree to a moral hold harmless clause in case some of our brilliant ideas accidentally end up in our future bestselling trashy novels?

Last edited by Amarantha2; 08-08-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #318  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Hello, hello!

I have had a couple of not-so-good days, but seem to be back on track today. Have at least exercised throughout, though (where's the "patting self on back" smiley?) DH is fasting over the weekend in prep for a colonoscopy and I'm going to do something in sympathy (not cook, for one thing ). Thinking of maybe all veg? And then looking at something like SBD come Monday. I could stand a bit of a jump-start.

Amarantha, a "moral hold harmless clause" seems like a very good idea. LOL! One of my sisters (also a writer) and I are constantly calling dibs on happenings within the family. But we always end up calling it a race - whoever uses it first owns it!

Ceara, welcome back! I like your answer to the "old" question. Not adaptable seems to be right. Isn't one of the major rules of the universe "Change, or die"?

Wildfire, thanks for the Alice quote. Lovely! I don't know the beach you mentioned but I will definitely seek it out!

Cerise, a big congrats on your new job. YAY for you! I love hearing how well things are going for you now - you so richly deserve it!

Kaylets, I have to make slipcovers too! My only problem is DH doesn't have faith in my tailoring talent. And I KNOW these things are easy enough that I could make them without a pattern However, since patterns exist for them, I may seek one out. Buy the fabric and pattern, maybe make the slipcovers when he's out of town Or, I suppose I could get a tailor to make them up, but I'd just as soon do it myself.

We have some Surefit ones that I've never been happy with - the fabric's flimsy, they never stay put. Constant source of annoyance! I'll have to take DH to the fabric store to select the stuff for them. He's one of those husbands that likes to be involved in decorating issues I prefer the ones that just consider that my province!

Punkin, sounds like you and Bo-Beena made a great haul! Bet you feel some cool in your new duds! I must go get some my own self, even tho 'tis not because I've lost a great whack of poundage

You're right, menopause is a funny thing. I think my hormones are all messed up. This past week was so much like PMS -- depressed, bingey. I even had a couple of zits. But no period

Zadie, my house is sorely in need of a major cleaning, too. One of these days, I swear...

Frogger, HOOORAAAY!!! In-laws gone -- now you can REALLY enjoy your new house

Okay, now I really must get some work done while DGS sleeps the sleep of the innocent! Happy weekend, All!

Last edited by Arabella; 08-08-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:09 PM   #319  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday!

And a most happy belated birthday to our Wildfire!

Reeeeally tired this morning. I have some work stress going on and last night was the first night I wasn't feeling anxious, stressed, worried, etc. and there were no thunderstorms - so I slept like the dead. Looking forward to a lazy weekend...

Zadie, too bad I'm not closer. I'm one of those freaky people who enjoys cleaning. I'm actually looking forward to cleaning house tonight - it hasn't been done in 2 weeks!

Amarantha, ok, here's where the weird part of me comes in. Sweat - if anyone's sweat on it I'm not touching it. Maybe it's from the years as a massage therapist where I *had* to touch sweat, but ew, no. I'd rather spend the extra money and get a non-sweated on bench. I guess this also explains me aversion to gyms???

Cerise, Congrats on the dream job! Sounds lovely, and all that walking? I bet within a month you'll be running up that hill! Happy 5th anniversary to you and Ramon, have a great weekend together

Kaylets, the round robin novel sounds like fun - but I'd watch Eydie, I've seen what she reads!

Frogger!

Gotta scoot!

Terri
Old 08-08-2003, 01:44 PM   #320  
Hot Stuff

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for all the birthday wishes!

I've had the most frustrating morning! I was off at 10am to drive to the next city (Hamilton) to visit the coworker and his wife who is in the burn unit. I got directions from the hospital's own website....and they must be for people who actually live IN the city, and are not approaching from the highway OUTSIDE the city! There I am, driving along watching for an exit that doesn't exist! I ended up on a stretch of highway that had no exits to make a turn around and before you know it, I was in Brantford! (WAAAAAY out of the way!) Finally I turned around and drove the 40 or so kilometres back to Hamilton....then got lost in the city for almost two hours. In DH's car that has no air conditioning, in the sun, in 33 degree Celsius heat and humidity. Finally found my way back towards the university and got the heck out of Dodge!!! Maybe I'll try again after I've calmed down and cooled down in a day or two.

She is doing remarkably better, btw. She had skin graft surgery last Friday, was off the ventilator at the beginning of the week, and two days ago was taking fluids and eating popsicles. She is eating solid food again now. Her burns were mostly to her lower body, so luckily her face will not be scarred. Her hands are burned, but she is expected to regain use of them. The worst of the burns are to her lower legs, and she had to have four toes amputated. She'll have to do PT to regain her balance when she is able to walk again. As much pain and recovery she has ahead, she is very lucky to come out of this as she is. I've got people praying for her all over the world through internet contacts, including you girls. Thank you again!

Thinking about going to a weekend-long Scottish Highland Games in a town a couple of hours north of us. One of the bagpipe bands were on a morning news/entertainment show here, and my god they're amazing! I took bagpipe lessons for about a year as a kid, and how I wish I'd continued! It was just SO totally uncool then. Now the pipes bring tears to my eyes because they mean so much about home. Clan Campbell will have representatives at the Games, and I would love to purchase an authentic Campbell Dress kilt. I think it would be very smart with a black turtleneck sweater and my knee-high black dress boots. I just have to talk DH into going with me!

Amarantha, if you ever do get to PEI, pack lots of stuff because you'll never want to leave! I still think we should all meet there someday....and could with enough advance planning....*hint**hint*...anyone game? Would a year be enough advance notice? Yes, you did wish me a happy B-day on the 21 day challenge thread, thank you!

Kaylets, I was ready to finally bury my old sewing machine, but DH cleaned it all up and oiled all the insides, and it works like new again! All the little fibres from the fabric get inside and the moving parts don't move the way they should. He vacuumed it, used a tonne of Q-tips, then squirted sewing machine oil everywhere something moved...et voila...it's working fine again!

A wee bit of advice for those taking the slipcover plunge....buy a pattern. You're dealing with about 20 yards of fabric, and upholstery fabric isn't cheap. If possible, make a mock-up from muslin, even in half-scale if you've never done it before. You don't want to make a mistake on the real fabric!

Arabella, the beach is just 1 km from the main entrance to Cavendish Beach. It's secluded and we only encountered people there once in the week we spent at the Cavendish Country Inn & Cottages. (Lovely cottages!) It was there I fell asleep on the sand listening to the waves crash and fried like a lobster! You can't see it from the road, but if you follow the footpath through the field, you'll come to stairs that lead down.

I'm getting on the cleaning wagon. I did a lot last weekend, but never got around to what I had planned this week. Enjoying being schedule-less far too much!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #321  
deleted2

Kaylets, about today's question: I have to share this story with you---Garry's mom is 86 years old [young?] and still delivers meals-on-wheels. It's a hoot to hear her talking about delivering to the "old folks" at her age. She doesn't think of herself as old and neither do I! What a sweetie!
I must say to watch myself aging is fascinating. All the physical and philosophical changes---I'm definitely nor the same person I was in my 20's. Let's just say my 'coquette' days are over and that's a good thing!

So what's this 'round robin novel' thing? Sounds interesting. I'll be gentle, Punkin!

Wildfire, I'm glad to hear that your shipper's wife is going to be okay. Sorry you didn't make it to the hospital. I'm "directionally challenged" and your trip sounded like a nightmare to me. Seriously, it's as if I'm dyslexic or something when it comes to maps and such. Very embarrassing.

Cerise, sounds like your new job suits you very well. I'm glad you're happy!

My big accomplishment for the day: Getting up at the crack of dawn and getting in a 45 min. workout before my dentist's appointment. [And no cavities! ]

Old 08-09-2003, 07:37 AM   #322  

my dogs had to get up in bed with me and lick my face to convince me to get up... I hope they weren't so loud they woke you up too!!

Today's thought is:

"We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous??
Actually, who are you not to be?"
--Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

Question of the day:
"Does Broccoli have a bad reputation?"
--Kaye

Humidity here is 96%--- Doesnt that mean its raining?? Well, not yet at least-- so you know where I;m headed!!

Take care all!

The Round Robin Novel--What's the easiest way ?? A journal? hmm, no, a thread?? hmmm maybe... what do you think ?? I am more than glad to start it but need a "management decision" as to where....
Shall we have any other ground rules?? .....
What do you think??
Old 08-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #323  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Saturday

Good Morning All!

Eydie, your MIL is obviously one to emulate, like mine. Mine has devoted the 20+ years since retiring and the death of her husband to following her bliss! Obviously, it's easier if you have enough $$ and don't have to work, but I think I'm going to try to get some of that into my own life.

Kaylets, nice quote to start my weekend thinking! I vote for a thread for the round-robin novel. Should we just respond to it as moved, or do you think we need to have any rules? Hmmm...

Have a great Saturday, everyone! I'm off to tai chi. MIL arrives at 10 tonight, and I've got a party in between, so I may not get back today.

Love!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #324  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Of course, I never have any opinions on anything, as everyone knows, but I'd prefer to have the round robin right here on the thread, for a couple of reasons. Basically, I believe we are a discussion group with an underlying theme of weight management support and the round robin is a form of discussion, ego, why not just do it here where we all are? We could change the name of our group if we wanted, but why be a new group? ... actually, THE LABORIOUS LOSERS has a sort of novel-like ring to it ...

Re the journal idea, I just find the new journals kind of time consuming, hard to read and you have to sign in and out and I guess I just wouldn't do the RR if it was a journal.

Re ground rules, maybe in deference to this being a weight management support site, we could just make one rule, that somehow each post (or at least most of them) at least has a reference to weight issues, not that we'd ban anybody who goes OT or anything .... Guess that's another reason I think it should just be on this thread (or we could start Laborious Losers #2), IMO it should be integrated with our underlying purpose.

Otherwise, I'm wondering if we'd kind of be abusing the privilege of using this site and maybe should go onto Yahoo or something ... but I think it'd be cool to do it here.

I also am dead serious about any professional writers here (I mentioned the RR idea to Red Balloon as well, who is a journalist) or any who want to be professional writers (everyone here could), not posting any specificideas they intend to use in their work, keep this for fun only. Not that anyone here would really usurp anyone else's specific ideas, but we're not alone here, guys!!! I have learned through 30 years of grim experience that ideas are the cheapest commodity of all and though one can't copyright ideas and concepts, it's best not to just give 'em away for free!!! (I could tell you stories, guys, about the many times my newsroom pals have just outright, er, appropriated not only my ideas, stories, contacts, actual written work, etc., etc., etc., and slapped their bylines on 'em!!!

I'm so serious ... but another rationale for doing the RR is THAT, the more we are posting and typing away, the less we (me) are mindlessly eating ... or :sigh: the less I am productively doing my writing for pay, but that's another issue ... I am now rambling ... need sugar

Leading to another ground rule I think we should have ... we should probably limit each entry to a certain number of sentence or grafs? Just a thought, as you KNOW how we are ...

Otherwise, I think everyone should just be free to add what they like ... maybe the kind K would agree to cut and paste the entries now and then into one comprehensive post.

Ok, gotta go ... hope nothing in this post gives offense to anyone ... just thinking out loud ...
Old 08-10-2003, 07:11 AM   #325  

Hello all!!

Today's thought is a little longer but I think you will enjoy :
His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog. There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved. "I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life.

"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied, waving off the offer.

At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel.

"Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.

"Yes," the farmer replied proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education my own
son will enjoy. If the lad is anything like his father, he'll no doubt grow
to be a man we both will be proud of." And that he did. Farmer Fleming's so
n attended the very best schools and in time, he graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia. What saved his life this time? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill.

His son's name? Sir Winston Churchill.

Someone once said:

What goes around comes around.

Work like you don't need the money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

Dance like nobody's watching.

Sing like nobody's listening.

Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

The sky this am still has dark clouds but there is a lot of blue interspersed. My garden is becoming so overgrown, I need clippers and a wheelbarrow to cut back the jungle this high humidity has encouraged. DH has lawns to mow that I imagine will be just as bad-- We both need to get out there w/ lots of bug spray and do what we can.

#####

I agree Empress, that the Journals are cumbersome-
What does everyone else think??

#####

Time for breakfast!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #326  
deleted2

Thanks for the story, Kaylets!

It's Sunday--and alot of us have the big traditional Sunday breakfast/brunch thing. I thought it would be fun to see waht everyone's having! My doctor has suggested that I have my biggest meal in the morning and make dinner my lightest meal, so I'm trying it out and I really like it so far.
I'll start: We're having a friend over and so we're probably putting on the the dog a bit more than usual.
Breakfast burritos--ww tortillas stuffed w/ scrambled egg beaters, peppers, onion and corn--topped with salsa and lo-fat cheddar
Home fries--red, blue and sweet potatoes-- boiled first, then browned on a dry griddle with seasoning salt
Refried beans [might be a bit odd!]
Fruit [peaches, blueberries, grapes]
Coffee

That'll be about 600 calories there, but if it's as satisfying as most of our Sunday breakfasts are we won't eat again until 4-5:00!

Old 08-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #327  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Angry Sunday

Mornin'

Wow that is some spread Eydie!

I started with 1/3 cantalope, 2 huge cups of coffee, 2 scrambled eggs (I use the microwave and 2 tsp of cottage cheese when scrambling). I have no CLUE what the calorie count is. Am planning on homemade veg soup for lunch. I just perused Fat Wars by B.J. King and am trying some of his ideas. Consequently, more protein. I have no prob with fruits and veggies...I love 'em, but I think I have a portion control problem. Anyway I'm with you on the no snacking after 7 thingy Eydie....I lose easier and faster if I follow that practice..and King advocates it besides. I also drank a river of water yesterday...2 litres and am off to do the same today.

Started the new Scottoline book this a.m....am almost done. It is excellent as usual...she reminds me of Evanovich in some respects....

My only activity of any consequence yesterday was an hour and a half of lawn cutting....push mower, complete with some raking. Better than nothing I guess. Watched My Fat Greek Wedding in p.m. Will watch again as I missed some

TTYL

Carpe Diem!

Ceara
Old 08-11-2003, 06:11 AM   #328  

Ah, Kaylets, as usual you have armed me with a motto de jour. I must get out there (metaphorically) with bug spray and do what I can. It's the only way I can slog on.

And yesterday's menu is the worst I've done in months but here goes. I was at dd's over the weekend for the birthday of the younger princess (She's 3 today and now wears UNDERWEAR which she eagerly displays to all comers.) Anyway, I started with a Slimfast bar and good intentions. The party was a kiddie brunch sort of thing so I had some bagel, a donut hole, oj and birthday cake. Apres party I had a ham sandwich with lettuce and a TAB. After arriving home I had a slice of ham loaf and some broccoli plus a dinner roll. And later, some light ice cream.

DS/DDIL joined us Sat. evening for much healthier eating cookout so it was a nice, fun weekend. But I'm much in need of my Monday morning Fresh Start card.

You regal personages may appreciate a quote from the 3 year old. She was dressed in a Rapunzel costume (a bd gift) and dh asked her if she wanted to be a princess when she grows up. She firmly replied "No, a QUEEN!" That's my girl - go for it!

Anyway, that part of my world is well but the decline of the dowager is a cloud over all at the moment. And I firmly know that all the calories I consumed yesterday will not help DM to recover so that is not really a valid reason to ignore my own health. I have much to accomplish today, including my pool workouts (I'm proud I got three in last week). Tomorrow I will be travelling to the nursing center for a conference on planning care, etc. The advantage of a larger family is that one (or 4) of us are there each day. The other four who are near enough to come have been there much more than I.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:19 AM   #329  

Anagram- Your Saturday menu sounds good compared to what I did on Friday- We had a "Brunch" and I went wild. Krispy Kremes, cannolis, etc etc-- I have no idea how I got back on the wagon on Saturday --- maybe it was the shock of how much I was able to put away and still want more---
-- Glad you have lots of family to help out- My family is so spread out it's only by phone or email that we can stay in touch--
In fact, we have a crisis now where my mom will have go up to MN from FL to help my great aunt. -------

It is so humid here even my desk feels sticky and "ugh"--

Feel like we're living in the tropics suddenly. Global warming really is starting to scare me....
Today's thought is:

-- I'm doing my best today
-- I am a winner and it shows in everything I do
-- Worrying is for others - I just take care of business
-- I expect to win and I usually do

Question of the day :

"Have you ever eaten a fresh fruit while shopping at the grocery store? Did you pay for it?"
--Table Topics

Got to go!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #330  
Momma Frog

Was so swamped on friday I didn't even have time to post! So, guess what, I'm down to 209! MAYBE I'll see onederland by the time the challenge is over!

LONG POST............................

A bit of bad news...My poor hubby is suffering from blackouts here recently. One last week whilst we were watching TV (I honestly thought he was asleep until I turned my head and saw his eyes wide open) (FREAKY) and one saturday night while walking to the subway from work, which resulted in him being pick pocketed. He felt very dizzy and nauseous and thought maybe the working overtime and heat was getting to him, so he sat down on the curb (in washington DC) still daylight. When he woke up he was sprawled on the sidewalk, it was well after dark and his cell phone and wallet were gone. They 'kindly' left him is ID and credit card. Took his wallet to which he had about $100 in for the train ride for 2 weeks and snack money. He was so upset and scared he ran back to his jobsite and locked the door. He didn't come home that night and I was worried to death. Here I am sitting at the subway station an hour and a half from our house for 7 HOURS. Yup, right until they closed the gates at 230am on sunday morning. He ended up sleeping in the building and calling collect in the morning. Bumed money from a good samaritan for the train ride home. I think he was more upset about the blackout that the actually losing of his wallet.

Meanwhile............

I was sitting at the station saturday night about 8pm (doors unlocked because I was sure any minute my hubby would be hopping off the train) and some guy opens my car door, jumps in and begs for me to take him wherever I'm going. I DON'T THINK SO!! I starting yelling and screaming for him to get out of my car. He ran, and there where no station attendants for help and no police around. (Which is unusual actually). So I sped off and found a subway police officer and they sent out the police to try to find him. No luck. I'm keeping my doors locked and windows up from now on!!!
Closed Thread