Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #511  
deleted2

Amarantha, in this thing that I was reading it's the fancy new frappicino flavors that are so bad, like the coconut-chocolate and [my favorite] the chocolate malt. Oh well, I have my memories....

Anagram, I have my mother's butter mint recipe that I used to make for receptions at work but found that I couldn't control myself around them, so I don't make them anymore. Good luck with yours, be strong!

Have fun hiking, Arabella! Are you camping too or is it a day trip?

About the ? of the day---I really wish that I'd been more aware of how to take care of myself physically and all that. Wish I'd been more active in my 20's. ----also, I'd go back and ammend some of the things that made me look silly or bad in past relationships. I've said too much.....

Old 08-28-2003, 07:10 PM   #512  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking Friday Eve

Hey, ladies. Sorry to have been lurking around lately. It just seemed like I didn't have much to say... Puh-LEEEZE. When does Cerise have nothing to say? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've been really dissatisfied with my eating habits lately. Just eating too much of the right thing, mostly. "Listening to my body" doesn't help much. I just don't have the willpower a lot of the time to stop when I'm full or eat only when I'm hungry.

I've gotten a little light at the end of the tunnel. It's occurred to me (with the help of O Magazine, giving credit where it's due...) that I really hate controlling my eating, apart from my constant fascination with nutrition - eating GOOD food isn't my problem. Eating too MUCH good food certainly is. I also hate exercising for the purpose of...exercising. I've got to find a sport, and that sport would be....SOCCER!!! I played varsity in college and was pretty OK, to say so myself. Not flashy - no one ever called me Twinkletoes, but consistently menacing to all attackers. Except that I couldn't run much then and I SHORE cain't run much gooder now. Drat! I huff and puff, have HUGE boobs (makes women not want to run in public) and just feel so dumb when I have to stop and pant on the field.

I want to join a league here in Seattle, but can't decide on the timing. Should I join, feel humiliated for a while but get in much better shape in the long run, or try to get in better shape right now and join later? Hmmmm. I hate humiliation.

QOD: I would have stopped whining in the past about how imperfect I was (and eating, since I was already fat and it wouldn't make any difference), stopped hiding my body, and given thanks for what a beautiful girl I was. I might be fitter now.

Sorry for the me-me-me-ness of this post. I'm just NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT, and definitely not having any fun. Help!

P.S. And don't tell me to join WW. Sorry, Punkin and others, but I had a bad experience and they are the devil to me.

P.P.S. this post is so NEGATIVE. I'm so SORRY, guys.

P.P.P.S. Anagram, still thinking about you. If I lost a loved one and anyone, ANYONE threw a Bible verse at me, ANY Bible verse, I would.....you know.

Last edited by Cerise; 08-28-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:30 PM   #513  
Empress/Queen

Ummmmmmm, chocolate coconut frappucino (with whipped creme?) ... ahhhhh .... sigh ... that sounds heavenly .... ....

Uh, I digress, Eydie, I think I'd better read that book!!!

Cerise, no being SORRY, ... you can be negative if you wanna ... your post brought up a lot of good points ... and I don't think anyone here would tell you to join WW if you don't wanna!!!

I sort of think WW is the also, but right now I'm feelin' like it's an ... go figure? I'm fickle!

Later, gators!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #514  
Spreadin' the luv.

...I just spoke to a lovely woman at the Washington State Women's Soccer Association, and she thought I should go to weekly practices for now, get in shape for the rest of the week and she was convinced that I could be in fighting shape for the spring season. "Six months, lass (she's Irish)! You could certainly have your feet under ye by then!" Hey, I tried. I told her I was heavy and waaay out of shape, but "oh, no. Just stop eatin' those potatoes, darlin'!"

I feel better...

Last edited by Cerise; 08-28-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:24 PM   #515  
Hot Stuff

Awww, Cerise... Don't avoid posting because you can't be cheery...we're here for the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, the proud, the humiliated, the you name it we're here for it moments, days, weeks, even months! And aren't the Irish the most loveable people? Even when they're telling you to stop stuffing potatoes in your face, the way it comes across you know they mean the best! It's that beautiful accent. Go to a practice, see if you're comfortable enough to join in! No harm in going to see. And listen, hon...I'm in the SAME predicament as you. I can do the food, I can do the good food even....and when I'm being conscious I can do the portions....but I'm soooo tired after working 10-12 hours a day, driving in rush hour, etc, that exercise is the LAST thing I want to think about, never mind actually do! Some days are really good, some weeks...forget it! But the most important thing is that we keep trying. If it's every morning or every Monday or every meal....it doesn't matter. It matters that we don't give up, no matter how discouraged or disheartened or depressed it all might make us. So you get a good night's sleep, give yourself a hug from all of us here, help yourself to a FRESH START and NO GUILT card (they're on the table by the door) and you start again, luv! Every good choice you make is one less bad choice.

And I have to tell you what a wonderful addition you have made to our group. Your personality shines through your posts, and if you are even half the genuine, caring person here that you are in real life, we are blessed to know you. I, for one, want you to be here with us for a long, long time to come, through the ups and downs we all have and share with each other.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 PM   #516  

Well, wildfire said it for me too, Cerise! You were a cheerleader to me the last couple of weeks when I needed to get joy vicariously. So hugs out to you. And so nice you met an encouraging person when you needed it.

Eydie, the mints went well, pink and pepperminty roses. I had only one little droplet that remained in the bowl. Dh tested and proclaimed them delicious. Would that the rest of my eating had gone as well. Not badly but alas probably also the story of too much of good for you stuff. And no exercise to speak of. So not the best day but sure not the worst either. I COULD have had to make another batch of mints (which would have meant another store run for more cream cheese, etc). So I can so far hold my head up on that one.

Frustrating, Punkin, to lose your words of wisdom. And Empress, I'm with you. I'm so hopelessly behind, I'll just have to keep jumping in and give up on trying to catch up though there were many interesting things I read while I wasn't posting much and I did want to answer all.

Hope our Wood Nymph is enjoying her trek through her kingdom. And that she's forgiven her dh for his aggravating behavior and is having a great time with him.

I'm sure the minister thinks he's taking insult for glory or something. I haven't been burning like that for a long time and maybe I'm projecting other feelings onto him but I just felt he overstepped in a lot of ways. I actually consider myself a Christian and a person of faith and conviction and partly I was insulted because he seemed to assume I was not. And like many mailings, it seemed aimed at the lowest common denominator. But mostly it was that it seemed hypocritical to offer sympathy and then use that as a means to his own ends.

Thanks for the kind word about the Irish, Wildfire. Mom was 100% and very proud of it though in a quiet way. Brother had a piper at the church and at the cemetery and there wasn't a dry eye when he played "Danny Boy" and "Irish Eyes".

Going to try for an earlier bedtime this evening. Try, that is!

I vote for Halloween too. It was a fantasy blast last year and might have been when I met y'all or maybe right before that.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #517  
Empress/Queen

Sure and begorra, Cerise, what a sweet story about the Irish lady. You reallyl should just go out there and get your feet under you!!!

Anagramatic, I love thinking about those pink peppermint roses ... Kaylets should make a pot of tea and we should invite the Irish lady for little cakes and scones and a big layer cake with cream frosting and pink peppermint roses ... no potatoes!

Avanti, again!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:50 AM   #518  
Empress/Queen

Uh-oh, they have Krispy Kreme donuts on WW's online points list, which means I can eat 'em!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #519  

Default Fabulous Friday!!!

Anagram!! I am so impressed that you were able to make your mints and only have the tiniest taste! GOOD FOR YOU!
And yes, I agree, the minister 's "marketing scheme" is in very poor taste. I can see where some folks might appreciate his approach but I believe his approach is more bad than good.
Good for you letting him know-- you might be the first person to take the time to write back... maybe he'll rethink his methods.

Cerise-- I too battle "perfectionism" -- If I can't do it exactly right, why should I?? That's part of the marketing of these at home gyms-- But Toastmasters has made me realize that the more attempts I make to prepare a speech and then actually speak, the easier it is getting. I am starting to feel more confident. Not a lot but definitely more than a year ago. I would guess that since you already are a good soccer player, you've got so much more going for you than I did when I began Toastmasters-- I had never tried to speak in front of a group-- I had to learn how.
As for the running and bouncing-- I've seen recommendations to wear 2 sports bars at a time. Not sure how it looks but its supposed to feel great- I CAN RELATE! I guess my question to you is: "Do you like Soccer?? would the "networking " experience be helpful ? Do you think you could inspire other women that sports do not make them less femininne? "(sp!)

And isn't it hysterical that potatoes are still getting blamed for extra pounds!!

SO... Empress... don't leave me hanging... how many points is a Krispy Kreme??? And yes, yes, yes, ..... even if its NOT on the WW's list, we can figure out the points value... That's why I go on and on about this plan ( sorry Cerise )-- because this plan really is ALL ABOUT ME!!!!! ( or you if we're talking about you!)

Wildfire- Thanks for such a thoughtful post. Couldnt have said it better myself-
and you're right, I'm low on NO GUILT and Fresh Start Cards too--
Let's get a fresh supply in and stock up!

Oh my goodness, look at the time... I'm gone.....

Thought of the day :

"Kind words can be short and easy
to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless. "
-- Mother Theresa

Question of the day :

" If you ask someone how you look, what answer do you want to hear?"
--Table Topics

Later!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:16 AM   #520  
Momma Frog

Hi gals!

First and foremost-Weighed in this morning. 208! I'm going with that for my official Labor Day weigh in. So I met and exceeded my goal.

Did we ever decide what the next challenge deadline is? Halloween or what?

Cerise-Don't feel sorry! You can do it, you CAN lose the weight. Give it time. The soccer team sounds fun. I would go out there and 'just do it'.

Shorty post I have work to be done!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:12 AM   #521  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wink Neverending journey

OK

QOD I think the truth. If I was wearing something hideous in the opinion of the other person I would hope that they would tell me....'cause a bunch someone elses might think the same thing. I don't think the question involves my physical parts....hopefully I'm shrinking those, but rather what I've chosen to adorn them with!

Had a great day yesterday...good water, good food intake...No formal exercise. Gotta work on that one....but I'm wearing my jeans comfortably....so the inches are diminishing!

On to Day 5!

Ceara
Old 08-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #522  
Empress/Queen

Yowza, Kaylets, I learned LONG ago never to ask anyone how I look! I do like to be told, though, if an essential button is undone or something like that. Otherwise, they can keep it to themselves! If I like myself and the way I look, that's truly all that's important. Everyone else can just bite me!

Hmmm. I didn't write down the KK points because they were so varied, just that I could have my fav meal of one iced maple raised donut and one raspberry filled for 10 points ... pretty consistent with the 50 calories per point that I've been guesstimating (the two donuts are 600 calories, 250 for the maple, 350 for the raspberry) ... I'm liking the points this time around because they are moving me to a place of not worrying as much about exact calorie counts so the math can become more second nature and I feel more relaxed about the food, knowing I'm in the ballpark, sometimes the points are higher than the exact calories and sometimes lower. This is probably pretty consistent with life ... I doubt if the Krispy Kreme employees worry much if their donuts contain a bit more or less batter or filling from one day to the next. Dunno. It's the Flexpoints that are really making me a convert this time. I just love the Flexpoints. I'm enthusiastic that this will be the game to get me to my goal!

Thanks to all who haven't pointed out that I was just complaining about POINTS a few weeks ago!!! Can't be expected to hold the same opinion for too long, can I? That'd be boring!

Still voting for a Halloween thread but either way, I'm gonna declare a goal for that holiday ... or rather the Sunday before, which will be my weigh-in day. I'll decide on that after I see if I lost or gained this week.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #523  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday everyone!

Busy day today... helping mom and the horse group get their area ready for the Rim Rock Festival and printing up all my PartyLite stuff (mailing lists, flyers, wrapping tealights...). I'm a little nervous about it - just because it's something different than anything I've ever done I guess... wish me luck!

Cerise, I wouldn't ever try to talk anyone in to WW - you either like their program(s) or ya don't (ooh, you can tell I sucked at the sales end of it when I worked for 'em!) - weight loss programs are definately not 'one size fits all'. I guess it's like any other "sales" thing - my belief is to inform then shut my mouth and let people make their decisions.
The soccer idea sounds *great*! I've played with the thought of joining a softball team or something - vollyball was my favorite, but there's no group 'round here for that. Go for it girl!

Anagram, what is it about pipers?? They had one lead the class in for their final inspection when my ex graduated from the police academy. I was teary just from the sound, nevermind the ceremony of it!

Amarantha, another reason to move to this side of Oregon - no Krispy Kremes!!!! The closest one is now in Portland - 3 hours away! I'd have to be pretty strong to keep it to one plain, glazed, 8 point KK. Yikes!

Frogger, congrats on making your Labor Day goal!!!

I'm all for a Halloween challenge too - it was a good way of keeping my fingers out of the candy last year! It's my favorite holiday (yes, it IS a holiday!) also, and the most deadly to my healthy eating habits! #%&*)*%^& Reese's peanut butter pumpkins - this year I will WIN!!!! Muahahahahahahaha.....
Do we have any takers on starting the new challenge on Tuesday??

and to everyone, if I'm not back, have an amazing, looooong, weekend!

Terri
Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 PM   #524  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking Luck o' the Irish

OK, you guys. You are so sweet!

Wildfire made me cry. Thank you for such a generous kindness you showed me. I'll never forget it.

Yes, Bernadette (the sweet Irish lady) is my new favorite person (excepting you guys, of course). I'm half Scottish, half Irish, and my family's actually a bit...clannish when it comes to such things, wearing tartan ties and things. Actually, my size sat on me better when a family member told me that the Thompson (the Scottish half) line of our family has always produced sons and daughters that are brawny and freakishly strong. Anyway, I digress. I think I'm going to try to make her into some sort of beloved auntie. Wish I had a cool accent.

Anagram, what a marvelous gift to have a bagpiper there to honor you mother. I'm proud of your family for such a thing, digging in and making the celebration of her life so special and terribly uplifting. At least, I felt uplifted when I heard about the bagpipes and people having a good cry. Crying to music is, in my opinion, one of the highest, deepest, healthiest forms of human expression. But then, I'm a musician (vocalist, the worst kind) and I cry all the bloody time, so...

Soccer's looking better and better. And EVERYONE has voted in on the "just get out there and do it" side. Thank you!! Fortunately I can practice for six months and get better before I have to find a team. I've had some daydreams of soccer games already, being able to run and run, pictures taken of me with flushed skin, sweaty ponytail flying, muscular thighs glistening, feral look on my face... I'll go to practice next Saturday and ask my sister (the trainer) for help in learning how to run again. She'll help a lot - she's kind of a pit bull that way, actually.

Amarantha, I'm with you other peoples' opinions on how I look. I wasted too much time worrying about that in my past. I like how I dress and I like my face and hair - and my body's my body and I can at least walk, dang it! However, sometimes I do ask peoples' advice on clothes and stuff, and I want the honest-to-God truth, no shilly-shallying.

Guys, I'm sorry about that nonsense about WW. It's regimenting my eating that I dislike most, and I have to work out that in the long run. It's true, I did have a very silly leader at one time that annoyed the poo out of me, but I freely acknowledge that the sensible, well-thought-out tenets of the program have helped many, many women. Just don't get me started on Jenny Craig.

Ceara, the first day I buy myself a pair of jeans and wear them, I'm going to think of you. I miss jeans...you sound like you're doing beautifully.

Frogger, you've lost so much WEIGHT since we first met! You're really plugging away at this! I feel so good about you surpassing your Labor Day goal weight. I'm so proud of you.

Kaylets, the WA State Women's Soccer Assoc. is one of the first of its kind, had to fight for field rights in the 70s, fought for equal sports opportunities for girls for decades, and rightly takes a little credit that we have a women's world cup! I'm proud to align myself with such a group, since women's rights, especially in sports, is one of my pet causes. I read "The Frailty Myth" and actually felt quite angry about the desperate fight it has been for women to shake off Victorian beliefs about their being the weaker sex and get recognition on the playing field. A wonderful moment in my life was when my team in college managed a victory over the men's JV team in a scrimmage. I got to body-check a guy...they told us after that they were just doing it for fun and let us win.

Uh, Anagram, I know this is a weight loss thread, but can you share the recipe for those roses?

Another long thread to take up your Friday time. I can't tell you what your encouragement has meant to me. My life would be considerably less bright without all of you, dearest friends.

Ramon listens to me listing off your names with affection (he loves hearing about you) and wonders that I don't know what any of you look like. I told him that I don't have any idea of your physical appearances, but that I have an image, an aura, if you will, of each of you in my mind. Anagram's is lavender nodding in a breeze, Arabella's is cool green forest with sun-dapples peeking through, Wildfire's is...take a wild guess. Punkin's is...sunshine - don't ask me why. Ceara's is a woman with a sword (I can't HELP it!) and flying hair, Kaylet's is a smiling, confident woman at a podium, Amarantha (no, not a donut!) is a tall, aquiline-featured woman you don't mess with, Eydie is a grassy meadow, Zadie is a comfortable coffee-house. I swear I'm not making these up, nor do I have any idea where they're coming from. Very woo-woo. I'm embarassed.

I know I've left out some people. I've got to think of yours later, dears, because I do have to start not writing a book every time I check in.

Thank you all again for your loving support...

Old 08-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #525  
Gonna be strong and fit!

Smile Its Friday!

Hello ladies,
Just a quick hello! I am doing very well this week. Started a 6wk challenge last week and am down 5 pounds this week!!
The first week is always good but that was better than expected.

I had wanted to lose 10 pounds on this challenge however I maintained instead. Until this past week of couse. So technically I can say I was half way there. I vote for Halloween. mini chocolate bars

Well, gotta run, you all are doing great. I am going to have to check out the new WW, even Amarantha has converted???

Talk to you all later, Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Bo-Beena
Closed Thread