UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 03:16 AM   #91  

This is my first weight loss attempt "properly" and it worries me that so many people seem to put a lot of weight back on or even go back to their original weight and more once they reach their target.

What's the secret of keeping the weight off? Has anyone got good advice? I'm still 11lbs short of my target, but at the moment I am determined never to go back to a size 20 and totally determined to keep off what I have lost so far..
Old 07-24-2002, 03:54 AM   #92  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

Nicky,yes it is sad but true that lots of sucessful slimmers get to their target weight then gain it all back and some. i know cos I have done just that. I lost 5 and a half stone and reached my target of 10-7 in 1987. I managed to keep within 7lb of my target for some years until i got married in oct 93, moved to london jan 94, lost my dad july 94, became pregnant and by the time I had my son in aug 95 I had gained about 4 stone. Unfortuneately I then went on to gain another 6 stone after his birth and after reaching 20stone + knew I had to seriously do something ....again!!
I managed to maintain my weight between 86 and 94 by being careful mon to fri afternoon and eating whatever i wanted fri evening to sun evening. This really worked for me, i also got weighed once a week and kept a check on it. If my weight ever reached 10-13 it was back to the diet sheet for a couple of weeks. Your clothes are the best guide though as long as they have buttons , zips etc. Lycra has a lot to answer for, its amazing how much size 12 leggings could stretch!!! Good luck with your last 11 lbs you are nearly there, staying slim and saying no is worth it ,its trial and error for a while but i am sure you will find a way.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:14 AM   #93  
Theres no stopping me now

I too have got below 10 stone and then changed jobs, got pregnant - twice and here I am heavier than I ever was. Think once I lost the weight I kiddied myself I could eat what I wanted as I wasn't on a diet any more and I wasn't fat any more - how wrong was I.

Good luck on those 11 pounds and when they are off, my advise would be like TQ did and set yourself a weight which if you ever reach again, it's back on the diet for a couple of weeks to get those few pounds back off. I know I will be closely monitoring my weight for the rest of my life to try and keep it in check.

I was moaning about my weight to my mum at the weekend and she pointed out that although I wasn't big as a child I was always solid and weighed a lot more than I looked like I should - as if that is some explanation of why I am this size. I don't eat that much - ok I am not an angel but I don't think I eat / drink enough to deserve to weigh 16 stone + - but then does anybody. Wiegh in tomorrow morning - last week I was 16 4 - am not expecting to see a drop this week - a holiday weigh in as is next weeks - after that though no excuses
Old 07-24-2002, 01:55 PM   #94  

Thanks, I had pretty much decided that I had to have this as a way of life rather than a diet, so that means I will always have to keeping a close eye on the zips/buttons and the figures on the scale! Fortunately my child-bearing years are over (had the op to make sure ) so I will not have that as my downfall

I totally agree with you TQ, I can't believe how much I love how my body looks now compared to last Christmas, when I actually refused to have my photo taken, I was so embarrassed. It's got to be worth living with a little close attention to my food & booze intake to keep this good feeling for the rest of my life .
Old 07-25-2002, 08:49 AM   #95  
Mistress Of My Destiny

S/C/G: 355/219/159

Height: 5ft 5.5

Hi girls
Sorry I have been MIA for so long, but I don't seem to have missed much does no one post their weight on the weekly weigh in thread anymore?

I've had not too bad a time over the past couple of weeks well the week before last TOM made a surprise appearance after only 9 days and I gained a pound, but I still lost another 2 inches so I wasn't too depressed about it and last week I lost another 2 lbs so I was very happy with that .

I am just back from a session at the gym and a long long chat with my personal trainer.
I said right at the start of this journey that I was setting my target weight at 10 stone 2 lbs because that was what was recommended from all the slimming magazines and the club I attended years ago, but that I would not go that far if I didn't think I needed to just because someone somewhere said that is what I should weigh for my height.
The one thing my trainer pointed out was that these weights recommended by the magazines and clubs only go off your height, they do not take into account muscle mass and tone and as we all know muscle weighs more than fat so you could look really good but be heavier than the charts say you should be. Well on his recommendation I have readjusted my final goal to 11 stone because he really does think that will be enough. Something in the back of my mind keeps telling me that it wont be enough and I think it is probably pshycological because of the recommended weight, but we have reached a compromise...I am now setting 11 stone as my final target, but when I reach that we will look at it again and if I am not happy then I can lose a little more, but I will definitely take his advice when I get there because I don't think my own feelings would be unbiased, I am sure I will always think I look fatter than I am and his opinion will be totally neutral. I am already getting people telling me that I have done great but that I should stop now because I am looking too thin...lol
I know that isn't true yet, but I can understand why they would be saying it...some people it will be jealousy, but others it will be because they remember what I looked like before, when they saw me then, they saw my size first and then my face...now they see my face first and that does look a whole lot different than it did before. I will defintely have to rely on the opinions of people I trust when I reach that 11 stone target because I really don't want to make the mistake of going too far.

I was interested in your comments about regaining weight after you had got to your targets...
Carol you said you kidded yourself that you could eat whatever you wanted because you weren't on a diet anymore...does that mean you went back to eating more or less the same food as you ate before you started to lose the weight...or did you just eat more of the things that you had become used to eating?
I have found that I just don't like the things I used to eat before I started, with the exception of chocolate of course, but even that, now I will have a small bar and I am quite satisfied with it, these days when I get the munchies I am much happier having raw veg or fruit than anything sweet, my palate has definitely changed which can only be a good thing
My child bearing years are over too, so I wont have to worry about that
I agree with the advice about setting yourself a weight that when you reach it is back on the diet for a couple of weeks and I do think that so long as you keep a check on your weight and take care of the few pounds that you may gain as soon as you gain them instead of letting them build up will make maintaining a lot easier.

Nicky well done on your loss so far and those 11lbs to reach your goal will soon be gone you must feel so much better I know I do. I can't wait to see just 11lbs left to go on my sig

Hope everyone is hanging in there, I'm off to catch up on all the posts I have missed while I've been away now.

Ali
Old 07-25-2002, 10:06 AM   #96  

So far today is going well - my eating has been ok, I was going to buy a bar chocolate earlier but I talked myself out of it - makes a change. Still no exercise though

Had a towbar fitted to my car this morning so I can take the tent up to St Andrews at the weekend - I must be mad it hasn't stopped raining for weeks. I had to go and buy my oldest son a pair of wellies to go with this morning - this is supposed to be summer

Another down side of the rain - the midges - there are millions of them round here at the moment, I brought yet more anti-midge cream. Also got a small bbq as well so at least we can sausages cooked healthily - well with no fat

Off to try and tidy this house a bit - Sean & Steven have pals in to play - too wet to go out and the place is like a bombsite. What will I do when I have to go back to work - am enjoying sitting about doing nothing very much
Old 07-25-2002, 01:29 PM   #97  

Sure is quite around here today - surely some one must have something to say - I promise not to slag off BB3 if some one will talk to me ?
Old 07-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #98  
diva of the diet

Ayup carol!!
Know what you mean about the bomb site, i have given up now, i seem to have a constant stream of kids in and out, still i don't mind really, am thinking about disconnecting the door bell though and leaving the front door open!!
I have had a kit kat mcflurry!! not worried about the cals as there was only about 2" in the bottom of the tub, have they got smaller or what???????
Keep at it, keep the greedy demons at bay!!
Hope the weather dries up in time for the camping trip, it will be mozzies galore where we are going but i have got stocked up on Jungle formula!!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:28 AM   #99  

Am off the rails today - took the boys swimming and had chips after with them and a twix - what am I doing ???? need to pull my act together.

It's not raining today so everybody is playing outside - now i have no excuse for not tidying up - it is a thought to get started though.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:51 AM   #100  

Ate too much cheese last night - it has always been one of my danger foods - it's going on to my once a week treat list when I come back from my camping trip
Old 07-27-2002, 04:33 AM   #101  

You may have noticed by now that I woke up in a very motivated mood this morning

And a colourful one !!!

You'll probably be glad I'm off to motivate (ANNOY) my american friends in the TPAAT thread

I promise not to be so overbearing again

Just feel we needed a bit of an energy injection

really going now - CU later
Old 07-27-2002, 04:39 AM   #102  
diva of the diet

Don't you go away carol, i need brightening up!!
went to see Paul heaton last night (lead singer of The beautiful south) he was brilliant but when i saw Sean Bean in the bar I was frozen to the spot!! he is so gorgeous, why didn't i speak to him, WHY?????
Old 07-27-2002, 04:49 AM   #103  

Just popped back from my American friends - they are all in bed - lucky them !!!

I too go off on holiday tomorrow, but we're not able to take the bikes, no room on the trailers.

But my poor friend I'm going with, had better pack her walking boots cause we are going for miles along the beach - the kids and the dog won't mind so why not

I have to walk off al the wine I know I will be drinking somehow
Old 07-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #104  

Default PLEA FROM MY HEART

Could you all make a little wish for me, that St Andrews has some of your sunshine next week. I don't think I can handle a week in the tent in pouring rain. To be honest today has be one of the better days of the summer, it hasn't rained and it has been quite warm, not summer weather though lots of big black clouds which kept threatening a downpour but it never happened - still might though

We are definately going the wrong direction for our holiday, but it is all booked so we'll just need to make the most of it - no point in being miserable over something we have no control

So if you find a genie in a bottle over the next few days, please spare a wish for me
Old 07-27-2002, 03:54 PM   #105  

Oh no two more people leaving us hurry back Carol and TQ please! Have a nice time!
Closed Thread