Old 07-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #226  

HELLOOOOOOO! I AM BACK!!!! It was such a wonderful holiday and I walked further than I have walked for years! I am exhausted today though, but missing Holly as she is at the coast with the parents... The weather was very changeable but miraculously on the days when it was important for it to be dry, the sun was out We only had to resort to wearing a pac-a-mac and using the umberella once, and by the evening it was a lovely dry time again.
The flight over was fine...I was amazed at how many people were arriving at the airport at 04:30 or trying to sleep on the terminal floor. We arrived in Salzburg 15 minutes earlier than expected and it was a perfect day. As we alighted one of the airport staff said we were very lucky, that was the first lovely day they had had for a week!
We went on three organised tours...two of the city, one which included a boat trip down the Salzer. and one into Salzammergut...the lake district of Austria.St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen are SO beautiful and the lake trip drop gorgeous.
More later...got to go to town and put the photos in.....bye bye!
teel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #227  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

You're back - hey welcome home. Glad to hear that you had a good time. Hope the photos turn out.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #228  

Default Morning

The travelling girl is back! Welcome home! We look forward to hearing your tell us about your adventure. I love it when the weather does cooperate a little bit when you are vacationing. I am hoping for better weather this weekend on my little get away! The forecast has improved in the last 24 hours so fingers crossed!!!!!
I forgot to tell mention that in the true tradition of the old west I got up on my birthday and shot my gun.....I was going to get that flicker if at all possible.....well he is still flapping his wings..... I shot at him 3 times and then he had the nerve to land right above me on the roof of the house while I was
standing there with my gun in my hand...... he is not scared of me one littel bit.........target practice may be needed!!!!
I hope everyone is well and I will try to check in if I get access to a computer this weekend....
Peace,
Nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 AM   #229  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Very nice to hear that your trip turned out so well Teel. It sounds as if everything just came together at once - what a nice birthday present. Look forward to your pictures and hearing more.

Thanks Shad for your very enlightening and entertaining explanation of accents here and afar. I will have to listen a bit more closely and will engage in playing "what's that tourist from" throughout the rest of the summer. You have bolstered my courage to perhaps even ask a few of the more friendly ones.

Peacock, nice of you to pop your head in for a bit. Guess I must come up with occasional questions to keep the discussions going strong. Will not be a problem as I never seem to run out of questions.

Thank you for the kind comments on DH's pictures. I have passed along your comments and he is smiling broadly as he is quite pleased with his hobby. Now that we have seen the Grand Canyon, we would someday (soon) like to see some of the other national parks - Yellowstone probably being tops on our list. We would also some day like to do a cruise to Alaska. But those take planning and money. Right now we are more looking down the path to belt tightening if I am out of work for a while. It does appear from browsing the help wanted ads that things are picking up ever so slightly.

I guess I have experienced once of those crushing moments you had a few weeks ago Shad - one where everything down seems to hit you at once. All those things you don't really want to face and keep pushing off to the side come bubbling up to the top and hit all at once. I have learned from past experience that although when it hits it makes for a rather devistating evening that 1) it's necessary and must happen and 2) afterwards it's always the start of getting back on track again and gaining forward momentum. After a good night's sleep I do feel a bit better about the road forward today.

And so I shall climb it as you all do yours knowing it will be accompanied by the sounds of Shad's clanging tools, the smells of Tee's English garden, the soft sounds of the great outdoors of Nae's country living, fits of laughter and amazement as Mel finds new pictures and sites on the Internet and finally some conversation that no doubt has me in stitches over the daily adventures of Linus and her family

Sieze the day as they say, I'm going to fill up the coffee cup.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #230  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Talking Welcome Home Teel!!

Glad you had such a wonderful time and the weather cooperated!!! Good for you and all that walking!!! I was wondering how you would handle the sightseeing bits. Congratulations! Cannot wait to see the photos!!!

Nae~ Hope you have good weather too for the 5 day getaway!!! Have a great time. Enjoy. Guns on the BD??? Good thing you're not in charge of getting the Holiday "meat" on the table!!! The family would starve on Thanksgiving if you can't hit the bird!!! Better luck next time. Is he on an endangered species list? Or only from YOU?

Shad~ gotta love the Google!! I can go anywhere now. Find any song. But no dice on Name That Butterfly! How goes the contracting job?!? Guess we will get a full report soon! Did I mention how beautiful all your waterfall pics were. Not just the Niagra ones but all over the world. You have captured some lovely shots. The sunset in Undurra(sp) was to die for. Lovely shot. I liked the low hanging look to the clouds. Nice.

Happy~ His pictures of the little buggers are so crisp and clean. I never saw them look so good. Even to these blurry eyes. I have always loved pics of birds and butterflies too. But then I love pictures of ANYTHING!!! I recently am going through a case of "drowning" in unsettled feelings. I think it comes from my taking the Scarlett O'Hara approach. If I dealt with it when it happens and not push it away, maybe I wouldn't get these anxious times.
I know it's tough on you and Shad too with the job situations so unstable or in her case, nonexistant. I think of both of you all the time and pray something comes along.(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) to you both.

Well Chicks I gotta go and find something constructive to do and not waste an entire day!!! Maybe exercise now while I am so full of energy Hope you all have a great one and maybe by now shad is snoozing. So I will tiptoe out of here!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #231  
Happy September

A quick question??? If we have had over 2,000 views on our thread then how come we don't have 80 chicks yet???

lol:

Last edited by MELODY525; 07-08-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #232  

i think we scare them off mel maybe if i promise to behave myself some might stop and say hello i know the first time i came on i felt very wary as you all seemed to know each other so well i felt like i was intruding but if they only knew how nice you all are and how welcome you make people feel maybe theyd stop for a chat some time
"HONEST WERE REALLY NICE AND LOVE A GOOD CHAT AND MEETING NEW PEOPLE" either that or they just log on to see what the nutters are up to today go figure
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #233  

Default Come say hi

I agree even if the lurkers just said a quick hello and tell us where they live or their favorite vacation spot in the world it would be so fun!!!!!!!
We do keep this thread pretty busy.....I have learned so much from all of you and had some great laughs and good support......I haven't left for my trip yet I got busy in the yard and have just about done myself in before my 5 hour drive..... oh well..... no hurry!
Take Care everyone...........
Peace,
Nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #234  
Choose your hard

Linus, IF you even remotely consider toning yourself down and behaving yourself, then I'm afraid I WILL be leaving. I really look forward to your antics and I agree with the part about others peeking in to see what the nutters are up to today...

I know when I first came here, I too was very hesitant to join in with a group that seemed to know each other well. However after 2 years I can say without a doubt that some stick around for a long time (me and Shad are elders here - you can tell by our fancy hats with the boobly balls and our ermine capes). Many poke their faces in for a while and then circumstances and life happens and they go away - some for a while, some forever. And there have been a few times when I've almost felt like I'm the last one standing (mostly when Shad was travelling) but there were times it was downright quiet here. It's always good to meet new friends from all walks of life like Mel and Linus and Nae.

I think the biggest thing is that because this is a "diet" forum of sorts people sometimes think if they are not focused on diets or are slipping or have no intention of talking about diets, that they can not / should not / will not post.

I have learned lots of marvelous things being here and I hope it continues.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #235  
Happy September

Linus please NEVER change or I will have to leave with Happy! maybe with all our boo boos, accidents and the rest, they're afraid it might be catching!

When I saw the amount of views I was surprised. I realize that some belong to us but WOW!!

Nae~ You better stop stalling and get into your vehicle and be on your way!!! Have a safe trip!

I have not gotten a whole lot done today. I am presently getting rid of junk and think that part may be finished. Sorted through magazines and books and made a bag up for the community room. Found some recipes on-line for summer drinks using Splenda and might give them a try. They sounded good! YUM!!

Jen is on her way to the sunshiny state of Florida. Left lastnight. Not for all the Hagan Daz in the world would I have gotten into that van with THOSE kids!

Well I better tthink what is for dinner. Maybe salad and flaked tuna from yesterday! Have a Great Night and Good Morning Miss Shad!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:42 PM   #236  

Oh Oh, that word (the D... word) has crept into the thread again. Who ever said that a lifestyle change is solely restricted to food? Yes we all came here because we need to lose weight, restrict intake and exercise, but heck is there some law that we can't have some fun on the way? Laughter is after all (well according to Readers Digest anyway) the best medicine.
As well as educating ourselves on the way our bodies digest and hold on to vitamins, minerals, protein, fat, carbs etc we are educating ourselves on how the 'other half' lives. It's a continuing education at least for me anyway. We just need someone in Asia, the Middle East and Europe and we will have covered all bases. Anyone out there from India, Korea, Dubai, Cairo, Greece, Itally or Sweden reading this ?
Having said that - Linus, I'm with Happy, don't dare change. I look forward to the doings of the Scots doggy household every day. If we seem to be close friends, then maybe it is because we are, but there is room for more. This place reminds me of one of those circle of friends - where all the little figures are holding each other up in a circle - only we are flexible and can always fit in some more people.
Mel, I am glad you enjoyed Undara sunset. That day was one of the best trips I have taken. Undara is huge, remote and so amazing. It took me nearly 8 hours to drive there from Townsville. I had booked a ticket on the bus to do a sunset and evening tour of part of the park. Yes it is a National Park. You can't drive on it, the only way to get about once you get there is to take the bus tours. Anyway, there was only me and the guide on this tour in a bus for 35 people. We toured around the old huts and water holes and saw playpus, wallabies and water fowl, then trekked up a small hill for the sunset. The guide had brought a champagne, cheese and fruit supper for my comsumption while we watched the sunset. A glorious way to see this I might add. I had champagne, he didn't. Then we went on to see a lava tube which housed creatures of the night - bats, snakes, all that sort of thing. The tiny little bats were amazing, didn't see any snakes, apparently they are tree snakes and catch the unwary little bat. On the way back, we stopped to check on the stars - since there is not a street lamp within a couple of hundred kilometres, the view is pretty darn good, I have to say. Accommodation at the lodge is cute - they have three different varieties - camping, cabin, or the old Railway Carriages - didn't put the photo up because I thought I'd run out of space - I took a railway carriage sleeper. Dinner was at the station! and breakfast as you saw was out in the bush. Billy tea, barbecue bacon and eggs, cook your own toast over the fire on a handmade wire fork/prong thing. One day I will go back again. Anyone joining me??

Nae, I laughed and laughed about the shotgun episode. I hope you haven't shot holes in your roof trying to get the little bugger! Reminds me of the time I tried to shoot a hare many, many years ago. My one and only appearance with a rifle I might add. I took aim, fired, fell over backwards, and the hare fell over sideways. When we checked him out, there were no bullet holes, no blood, no marks anywhere. We figured he died of a heart attack. The males in the group nearly gave themselves one laughing. Actually we are all pretty lucky really because I can not aim at anything and hit it. A barn door at 40 paces is quite safe from me. I'm suprised I did not shoot one of them instead.

Teel, so good to have you back. I look forward to the entertaining tales of Hofnung - or in this case Teel - in Austria. Hope they had some good music playing - oh hang on that is Vienna - and that the photos come out well so we can all see your happy face in the mountains. When does Holly come home?

Yesterday was fun (well sort of) - I went and did my weights and Jason the torturer came to check on me. So I went around again and did another set of reps just to shut him up. A warm up on the treadie and two goes on the rowing machine completed my hour. Then off to the DS house to mask up and finish sanding and clean up ready for painting. Took me so long that I didn't get to paint, instead cleaned the other two bedrooms ready for sanding today. Came home and had an hour sitting in the sun, eating lunch and reading a book. Then started on my lot. Well the fibro cutter proves to be easy to use after all and that didn't cause the problem, however I find that DS has made a slight boo boo creating the cradle for the bath and what I wanted to do just wont work. So I have to get my engineering brain out of the cupboard, dust it off and do the work around today. Glad the tool proved so easy, but then again it was invented for a bloke to use, so maybe that's why Ohhh that was low and nasty Shad!
No gym today, just some physical stuff on the house/s. And I best zoom off and do it. It's too cold at the moment to sit around here and talk.

Last edited by Shad; 07-08-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #237  
Choose your hard

Ah-ha, I caught myself. Thought I had posted for the day, went back and checked and I didn't. I suspected I've been losing my mind but now I have proof

Had to laugh at the hare story Shad. I'm the same way with a gun. At one point DH had a rifle here - for "protection" he said that I didn't have to worry about aiming because if I shot it in the house I'd nail whomever I was shooting at. Considering it was so heavy that I couldn't hold it upright for more than 15 seconds I think my own feet were in more danger than anything else. Fortunately he sold it and we've never had another in the house again. Somehow Nae I can't picture you with a gun but I suppose coming from where you've lived it's a natural part of life, isn't it. Do you fish also?

I have been checking out the Internet and things for job leads. It appears that things are indeed picking up again. Not that anyone will have me, but at least there's more places to send my resume to so I can get all excited only to get ignored or rejected again. And amongst all that rejection lies the next exciting thing in my life. I am in some serious need of enthusiam and deciding where to go with live again here... but it will come, I know it.

Well it's Friday, I will be making a trip to the office again - always good to get out of the house for a while. Catch up with you later, have a good one...
Old 07-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #238  

just a quick poke in i was reading the posts when i read the bit about freinds in the circle holding each other up and for some strange reason i suddenly thought of us all as hyrogliphics{dont know why i told you im nuts}i can just imagine shad would be the one with the tool box mel with the halo and the wheelchair nae with the gun happy the camera and teel with her violin on a scooter with the dog and me with bagpipes and a straight jacket that would give the egyptions something to talk about theyd probably think we where aliens well i told you im not normal
kirsty
ps back later if you all havent decieded im tooo nuts
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #239  

You're never too nuts Linus - ditch the straight jacket and bring the dogs. You can probably add tools to your list as well. And I don't care if you're nuts or not, it was a good day when you came busting into this thread. Nut's I can live with. Well there is a whole bunch of them just up the road a bit (peanut farm).

Happy I know where you are coming from. I'm having a fairly hard job keeping up enthusiasm for job searching. I think it maybe time for a change, I just don't have enough cash to set up in business again, and I really don't know what I want to do. A spell in tourism sounds good, but what in tourism I just don't know. But why are you saying that no one will have you? I know the message is for young, youth, and energy, and I don't know what goes on in the States, but here youth and energy is not always the answer, knowledge still goes a fair way. Although I have noticed in training that it's beginning to be a case of sex rules. The younger and more female the trainer the better they like it - even if the class learns little. The logic beats me, but there you go.

Put some more photos on the web last night - this time Chicago. If you look carefully, you may just see the back of someone we all know and love striding off up a path. No names, no pack drill!

Weight is bouncing up and down, but not that far down. I really am getting tired of this. Probably the fact that I am not drinking my water has something to do with it. Food is not too bad, exercise is constant - 4 times a week - plus home stuff, so it has to be water. More planning, more vigilance, more boring stuff. Why can't it all just go away and leave me alone.

Today I am doing the Pilates class. It is at 9.30. This is a reminder to Shad to be there at 9.30 and not at 1030 as she was last week. Thought it was Friday and not Saturday you see! Minds going here too Happy.

Then I am joining DS and the Womble in the new house to paint and sand and clean. This weekend will probably see the end of the need for me to spend time there. I said I would help out with the bedrooms and then they were on their own. They will need to spend time planning the rest - kitchens, bathrooms, etc. I refuse to be an interfering mother, but I knew if I didn't start DS off, he would be living in with that crappy caramel and brown for years. If you wonder what the womble looks like, there is a photo of the back of her head along with DS and a blonde on the Riverfire album. The blonde is considering whether to board here with me for a couple of months after the DS goes although we haven't actually discussed it much yet. She is a psych nurse. Maybe she can sort me out!!!
Anyway, heaps of housework to do here today before gym and paint and all that stuff. I'll be back to see what you are all up to on this bright and sunny Saturday or in some cases Friday. Have a good one.

Last edited by Shad; 07-09-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:43 PM   #240  
Happy September

**** Shad put her on the thread and she can sort all of us out!!! I could use some sorting out!! I'm ready!! Maybe I should move to Australia and give you my check each month for room and board!! You can start a B & B business.

Happy~ This too shall pass?? Or are you both tired of hearing that? I keep hoping someone special will see yours and shad's potential and snatch you up.

((((((((((((((((((((HAPPY & SHAD))))))))))))))))))
What is there left to say?! Still keeping good thoughts for you both and fingers and toes are crossed too!

Linus how ever could you think you're the only fruitcake in the bunch?! I may sound different on here but let me assure you am just as effin' crazy as you! I am not working on all cylinders, a few cents short of a dollar and an original Froot Loop. As they said in Brigitte Jones' diary....I like you just the way you are!

Nae~ Hope the weekend is off to a great start. Happy holidaying!!! :Lol:

Teel~ Have you adjusted to being home?? You little jetsetter you?? Are all your celebrations over with now or should we all just continue right through this weekend as well!! Seems like Nae is still celebrating.

I was going to post what I posted in my journal. But the radio went off and I found out the Maint. boss had left for the weekend and no one could reach him..... so in the end I had to go downstairs and make plumbing decisions BUT I was assured before I left my apartment that there will be an extra check this month. Possibly even next week!!! YAY. It won't be huge but any $$ is gratefully received. I think he may get yelled at too on Monday. We'll see. I won't be here cause I'm going to the Mall.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I may spent it itching!!! Bob the plumber was working on fiberglass and neglected to tell me it flies in the air!!! I took a shower, flushed my skin and scrubbed like he said but alas I still itch a bit. Hope the check will make this all worthwhile!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and take care of yourselves.