Old 07-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #196  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hello ladies,
Flurries of activities here these last few days with all the sawing, cutting, measuring and chasing of husbands, children, cats, dogs, and neighbors. Ooof duh.... my head is dizzy!

Yes, the new journals will take quite a bit of getting used to - but this is the 3rd time they've changed the journals since I've been here and each time the new ones were so complex I thought I'd never get the hang of it but I did after a while. I have decided I will start journalling again as I need to admit my sins and get serious again about weight loss.

I am just disgusted with all I have gained and it's because I have not even attempted to place any restrictions on myself since I stopped smoking. At this rate I'll be bigger than the house soon and will only be able to enter via the double wide garage door. I was trying to find something to wear for this weekend and my midsection has taken the brunt of the extra weight. Pants are uncomfortable too. I will not gain another ounce - from here on in it's downward on the scale, exercise and think about every bit in my mouth. Enough goofing off. I slouch terribly too which does not flatter the mid section so hauling out the Pilates tape is a priority too.

I am sitting here with my trusty bottle of water tho

We went to 2 nice fireworks celebrations. The BBQ with friends on Saturday was nice. My friend who had gastric bypass looks good but they want her to lose weight quickly for her back surgery so she has lost 60 pounds in one month. She looks "deflated" tho - it's as if the weight is draining from her head and shoulders first rather than an overall weight loss. It does appear to be working tho once she got past that first scare with the leak after surgery. Last night on an impulse I suggested we go to our town's fireworks show at the local racetrack. I knew it would be very crowded as it's one of the biggest shows in the area. Usually we miss it because we are at the other show by our friends house but due to the extended holiday weekend, some had their shows on Saturday and some on the actually 4th holiday on Sunday. The one yesterday was just awsome. We were on the upper level of the grandstands and were able to see a clear view of the horizon. At one point we could see at least 7 other fireworks shows in the distance. It was very inspiring, especially with the patriotic music that was playing. DH did take pictures but each subject requires a learning experience and the same is true with fireworks. He put a few fireworks on webshots but he said none of the pictures from last night came out to his liking which was a shame.

Give me strength as he is on vacation this week which means he will be underfoot and I'm sure there will be tense times. You know, the old DH habit of drop what you are doing IMMEDIATELY to tend to whatever they have going on at the moment, regardless of your schedule. I may just have to haul myself over to the office this week to keep the peace...

Speaking of which, I am being summoned right now. Best go see what it is now - no, I don't know where you laid your tools last....

Sorry to not address you all, will try to get back later tonight after I work more with the journals. Be good...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #197  
Choose your hard

Default About the new journals

I haven't messed with them much but here's what I've discovered so far.

You have to login to the journals. To do that, go to the journals page, scroll down on the screen until you see a calendar. Right above the calendar it says MEMBERS: LOGIN | REGISTER. Click on the login and sign on with your user name and password. As you are logging on, check the box AUTOLOGON on future visits so you won't have to keep logging in and out each time. This is safe to do since you are the only one using your computer at home. I wouldn't use this feature if I was using a computer at a public place such as a library or Internet cafe.

At this point, once logged in you should be able to comment on other people's entries.

To add a new entry to your journal it's a little tricky. Again scroll down to the bottom of the screen to the calendar picture. Once you're logged in you will see an option to ADD AN ENTRY. (For some reason the task commands are awkwardly placed at the bottom of the screen instead of to the left side like the old journals). Click on ADD AN ENTRY. Yes, even tho you just signed on, you have to sign on again. (Sounds like a glitch to me). Calm down and sign in again as the computer always wins. You'll see a screen with your recent entries. At the top of the screen click on PUBLISH. That will take you to a new screen where you can then enter a new journal entry. Don't worry about all those fancy buttons at this point, just type a title and your text and when ready to submit, click the SUBMIT button at the upper right top part of the screen.

It's a little goofy but we'll get used to it I'm sure. That's all I've had time to play with so far and DH is yelling for me so I've got to run. Will catch you later...
Old 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM   #198  
Choose your hard

Obviously, if you look at my instructions and the journals, it appears that Suzanne is working on making tweeks and changes as we speak...
Old 07-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #199  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Happy~ I had already tried everything you wrote. No dice. I logged in a hundred times! I even auto checked too. I called that girl who works downstairs and told her suzanne said it may have something to do with cookies. so she told me to dump all my temporary internet files and delete 3FC from my favorites and go back and try it again. Hooray!! It worked or Suzanne fixed it .....one or the other. But I finally got to post! also....my calendar picture is on the right hand side one minute and on the bottom the next!!! This last time it was on the right again! LOL

Guess the bugs will get worked out during the week. I also found my settings and changed the size fo all the fonts. Now everything is big and I can type without going blind!

Happy~ Don't be too hard on yourself. You gave up the smokes and that was one of the most important things you could have done for yourself this year. Now you can work on your weight. I hate to say this but I STILL want a ciggie once and awhile. I might have said that already....not sure. Just hang in there. I will send you all good thoughts for diet success!!(this from someone who weighed in more this morning! )
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #200  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

You know after 15 years of not smoking, there is still the odd occasion where someone will open a fresh packet of cigs and the smell gets up my nose. Then I think back in nostalgia. However the smell of a dirty ashtray generally puts that right in a nanosecond or two. Mel is right Happy, don't be too hard on yourself, one habit at a time particularly something like smoking is as much as the human body can stand. But you are also right, because if you leave the weight too long, it will become really difficult to get off.
Life just got busier again. I have 'volunteered' to help spruce up DS's place. So I have organised myself to spend 2 hours per day at his place, scrubbing, sanding and plastering the bedrooms. He and his friend ripped up the carpets on Sunday and they are going to polish the floorboards, but first the painting should be done. Since DS hates painting and will not do it properly - guess who has stepped in! He can sand and stain the floor.
The Journals are interesting - I am going to play a bit more soon. I feel for Suzanne, every time she puts something new up there, the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth is tremendous. Perhaps I should write a couple of manuals for the masses.
Linus, I'm not sure about going without the mitre box and using protractor etc. My maths - geometry included was never that good. Sawing is not usually a problem and I bought myself a good short saw a while ago - why short? Because I have problems with the long ones, probably because I am short. They should make ladies saws as well. Besides which the cordless circular saw is very handy for people like me.
Okay, its time for the gym. Running today. Then 2 hours at DS's place. Then back here for lunch and bathroom stuff once more. Might be time to look at the job boards as well. Off to go see the journals and check the overnight changes. Ciao
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #201  

Default Hello I am still fabulous and fifty and still celebrating!

How is everyone doing???? I got home yesterday so tired from my 3 day weekend that I took a little nap then got up to catch up with all the posts!
Happy 4th to everyone! I was out in the woods so far that we didn't even hear one firecracker...I couldn't believe it....and after we hosted the family get together on Sunday my cuz and I were tooooo tired to drive down and watch the fireworks...we went to bed!!!!!BORING that is what happens whne you get old
WE had a good turn out and it was fun to see everyone. I didn't even go all the way into town where my mom lives because there wasn't enough time so next weekend I will go to town and treat her to a day of fun and adventure it is her 76th bday and she still works out does water execise and walks everyday....she is my hero! My sis and I will probably take her up to Glacier park to cruise around...it is so beautiful up there!
I went swimming in a lake where the loons were swimming around and there wasn't anyone else in the water it was so wonderful....we did get some rain on and off but during our party and barbq it was just fine!!!!
Went and peaked at the new journals....nice look to them.....barely could operate the old way....but like Shad said we can all learn something new!!! Or just have our friends help us out!!!!!
Hope everyone is well....... take care!
Peace,
Nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 AM   #202  

well ladies i have been avoiding going on the scales and posting my stats because my eating has been TERRIBLE and i have done no exercise but i bit the bullet and jumped on the scales and guess what 15.3 oh god i think i might actually get to 14 stone i cant beleive it i want to cry actually i think i am back later
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:47 AM   #203  

Well done Linus. But considering all the work you have been doing around the house and the walking, I'm not surprised you have shrunk!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #204  

Morning all,

Roseblush, so good to hear that you are still celebrating. I think Mel is too. Sounds like you had a good weekend and hey I think your mum might be my hero too. Good on her for continuing to exercise and staying strong.
I need to think about NOPE again too. Weight has risen again with all this weight training. Not a lot but enough to be infuriating - when will it go away? Yes I know I have shrunk - there's not a lot left in the wardrobe that really fits anymore, but it would be nice to have a scale victory once in a while.
Yesterday I partly sanded down a room at Simon's place, but silly me, I forgot to take an extension cord so didn't get all the way round. So then I took up the carpet tack strips in the next bedroom. Today I will finish the sanding, fill the dents and cracks, wash down the second room, and maybe take up the carpet tack strips in the third bedroom. Then I will come back here and have a go at the sides of the bath - I finished as much tiling as I could do yesterday. I have to put in the bend for the waste pipe this week and we will have a go at getting the vanity in over the weekend. That will be a real achievement. Photos coming to the website soon.

Last night I put up some new albums - just a couple of photos in each as yet. Some of the older albums will have to come down shortly as I shall run out of the alloted number of albums I am allowed. Most of the new photos are off the digital camera - they don't take so long to upload, but the better ones are from the other camera. They will come some time this week maybe.

Happy, those fireworks photos from the DH were amazing. He has such patience to set up and take a few, then try a new way etc. That is one good thing about the digital I guess. I'm cross that the local big camera store (well nearly local) had a pavement sale last weekend of digital cameras and peripherals. The camera that DS and I have coveted for so long was there at half price - I forgot to go!!!! So did DS!!!!! Really can't afford it, but hey we could at least have gone halves in it.

So today, I am about to embark on the sides of the bath. This is something new. I have to have a think about how to approach the cutting of this fibro cement board. I may have to get a new sawblade for the saw. Don't think the normal ones will cut through it. Ah well, I'll just go down to the local hardware heaven and through myself on the mercy of the tradesmen down there. They all know me - they think I am nuts most of the time. Who cares!!!

Teel will be home in the next couple of days. Let's hope she has had a great time. I would love to go to Salzburg one day. Aaah well, one day, one day.

Aaah coffee is ready.

Last edited by Shad; 07-06-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #205  

someone will have to tell me where happys photos are im just going to have a peek at shads
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #206  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Talking What a day I had!

CONGRATULATIONS LINUS!!!!! maybe I better start working in the house more!!! You must be so very HAPPY!!!! Enjoy the success!! Furniture moving diet!

Nae~ Good to have you back with us!! WOW we can celebrate Mom's BD next week TOO!! :Lol: sounded like a nice time you had. I could almost hear the loons. Reminded me of the On Golden Pond Movie! Hope you and Mom have a great time together. She'd be my hero too. I love to see them stay active. Too many seniors just sit down and give up. Welcome Home!

Shad~ When you ever get to the good old USA You can come and paint my apt!!! It's only got 3 1/2 rooms!! Should be a walk in the park for you now that you're becoming a pro! I know what you mean about the DS> There are some things I do for Jen cause I know she won't do them the "right" way! I have a very hard time with that bit! Don't wear yourself out!

I had an "accident" with a shopping cart and the cart won. Bruises, lumps and small cuts. Happeneed so fast I'm not even sure how it began. Was doing some people a favor and WHAM!!
Cart hit the wall and I hit the cart. One codeine pill later the pain is tolerable. Hope it doesn't feel worse tomorrow. This too shall pass. I am hoping these accidents are a result of the eyes and not a coordination problem. Guess I will have to check it out sometime with a neurologist. But this all began around the same time as the eyes started and seems to get worse as the eyes get worse. OH well.............
Other than this the day was good. Someone asked me if I was losing weight and how I was doing it. One of my "boyfriends" at the supermarket gave me 4 bags of candy! I passed them off in the office when I came home. Got 2 tuna steaks. I love them when marinaded and broiled in the convection oven!! I think I may have said this a few times! Took my shower while Jen was here. The knee is a little weak today and the pill is working it's magic. I'm all powdered and smelling pretty and ready for bed and it's not even 6PM! Tomorrow I get to go to the waterfront if the weather is good. But I just heard rain all day. I was going to take my snack and my lunch. I could have stayed 3-4 hours! We'll see. Now that I have changed my font size, I actually feel like going on-line. For awhile now I haven't been happy with the PC. Very frustrating when everything is so blurry. My glasses now are no help at all really. Especially at night. I have tried all kinds of light bulbs and lamps. My maint. men keep coming up with new ideas so Mel can see! Can you just see me with the white cane and trying to steer the chair at the same time!!?? I have some more bad news......the rosacea came out on the bridge of my nose and couldn't be any closer to my eye if it tried. It came back again without warning and the first day I thought it was a plain blemish. By the end of the day I knew what it was and started the antibiotics. I have a dr appt for the 12th so he can see what's what. There seem to be a few too many bumps in my road!!! Grrrrr! Why I am still laughing is even beyond MY imagination! Guess that's how I deal with everything now. A few tears and then laughter. Well I must go and bid Jen and Richie goodbye. They are leaving for Florida tomorrow instead of Thurs. He has poison ivy on his chest and the Dr gave him a note to stay out of work and away from the chemicals there till next week. They have decided to leave early with the kids and grandparents to see a bit of Disney World or wherever they end up before giving the kids back to the Ex. Have a great night and will see all your bright and shining faces tomorrow. Except for Shad's sunshiny face tonite!!!

Last edited by MELODY525; 07-06-2004 at 06:34 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #207  

Linus - try this link http://community.webshots.com/user/g3forme-date for Happy's DH photos.

Morning Mel. Watch those carts. they have a nasty habit of leaping out and getting you when you are not watching.

Hey! While I think of it, there was an article on the TV the other day about Macular degeneration. Apparently it becoming epidemic here. The boffins have come up with the news that vegetable oil, including Canola oil, but not including Olive oil is responsible for the rash of eye stuff. It seems that we are overdosing on the stuff - its in margarine ( which we are told to use instead of butter), crackers, ready prepared meals etc etc etc. Maybe they are talking about hydrogenated oils. It seems that whatever ails us stems from something the doctors and scientists have told us we have to have instead of something natural.
Moderation I say, everything in moderation is good. Good for you, good for the environment, good for the animals.
I should get on my soapbox and rave about going back to basics - yes?????

Last edited by Shad; 07-06-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #208  
Choose your hard

Thanks for posting DH's webshots address Shad. I just gave him a good pounding for not uploading more pictures

Interesting concept on the macular degeneration. I was not aware of the influence of diet although I have done some research on this subject as my grandmother, mother and aunt all suffer from it. I just looked up an article and thought this was worth posting:

What can you or your loved one do if diagnosed with macular degeneration?

First it is important to modify those environmental risk factors that we know about.

You should:

1. Detail a low-fat, low cholesterol diet.

2. If you are post menopausal, you should consult with your physician concerning estrogen replacement therapy. This may have a favorable impact upon cholesterol lipid levels that play a role in worsening the disease.

3. Wear sunglasses with UV protection.

4. Try to consume at least two servings of leafy dark green vegetables per day.

5. Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondhand smoke.

6. Eat food and or supplements rich in vitamin E,C and Lutein. Lutein is a plant antioxidant found in high quantities in spinach, kale and other dark green, leafy vegetables

Some emerging theories about what may play a role in causing or worsening macular degeneration are as follows:

1. The macular contains many highly active and sensitive photoreceptors that require and consume a great deal of energy. Generating this energy requires a constant, rich supply of oxygen, nutrients and ions. Consequently, the macula has one of the highest rate of blood flow through its supply vessels. Anything that interferes with this necessary rich blood supply can cause the macula to malfunction and possibly become diseased.

2. Smoking can reduce this vital blood supply by contributing to narrowing of the blood vessels and thickening of the blood, as it does in the heart and brain where this process contributes to heart attacks and strokes.

3. A high-fat, high cholesterol diet can lead to fatty plaque deposition in the macular vessels hampering blood flow.

4. A shortage of antioxidants may also increase the tendency for fatty deposits to stick to blood vessel walls.

This is also a good website for more information including what things look like if you have the disease.

http://www.eyesight.org/Pictorials/pictorials.html

I have to run now and go to the grocery store - afraid that I did alot of goofing off over the weekend. I'll be back later tonight for a quick post.

Last edited by happy2bme; 07-06-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #209  

Default Flowers

Just thought I would upload the Orchid pics and the Flame Vine pics I took this morning. Remember - you saw it here first.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:09 AM   #210  
Choose your hard

Catching up...
Shad what gorgeous pictures. Where are they from? After I've shamed him, DH added a few more butterfly pictures to the Webshots site. I think he just added them to the back of the existing butterfly album. Just checked and yes he did do just that. Funny how I can see a big difference between the earlier shots and the later ones. Guess some things improve with practice. I will have to go check out your new albums tomorrow. Good luck with the bath. Somehow the idea of you sitting on the floor with a saw and tiles is rather amusing to me Poor tiles never saw it coming! I think you have quite the talent in renovating homes for budget conscious people. Perhaps that can be your new line of work - why train when you can have your own TV show? Renovations are quite popular here. Good luck to you tho...

Geez it's almost midnight and can you believe that there are fools outside who are STILL shooting firecrackers off 2 days past the holiday???? They have been shooting them off consistently for well over a week now. IDIOTS.

Mel, I'm sorry to hear that you've been in another accident. Metal things seem to be trying to make your acquaintance as of late, don't they? I think you just need those big coiled spring curb feelers all over your chair. We can stick some styrofoam balls on the ends and make deelie bobbers out of them and decorate your chair for every major holiday! Hope you enjoyed your tuna steaks. DH likes them too but I will stick to my salmon - good for the cholesterol but having fish on the menu several times a week is good for you so yay for you for making good choices. Is your rosacea in any way influenced by your diet? Can't remember if you were saying earlier that some foods aggrivated it.

I see that Austria's president has taken ill and passed away. Hope that will not create chaos for Teel on her trip. I really hope she is having a good time - she can well use a bit of fun in her life.

So Nae are you still celebrating? It is hard to believe that you are so remote that you wouldn't hear any firecrackers. Especially since I'm sure sound travels a greater distance out by you. Sounds though like you are getting out to enjoy a bit of the summer while it's still here. Can't believe how the time is flying by...

Good going Linus for the weight loss you've seen. It does appear that you have been quite busy lately, can that account for some of it? You must have been quite the good girl or maybe those recent drinks at the pub have just turned into a calorie burning furnace for you. Bravo woman!!!

Not to offend anyone but I was wondering... as DH and I walk about taking our photos, we obviously hear lots of tourists as we live in a tourist town. I quite frequently catch the clip of a British or Australian accent. However unless they use certain phrases unique to their country (hardly ever) - I can't tell if they are from over the pond or down under. Sometimes they assist by wearing a Tshirt that gives them away but I was wondering - any way to tell the difference between dialects/accents? I am more the shy type so instead of appointing myself good will ambassador and greeting them warmly, I am more the stalker type, prone to walking behind them just to hear them talk, that is until I find DH has gone way off in the opposite direction and is yelling for me to catch up!

Last edited by happy2bme; 07-07-2004 at 01:11 AM.