Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 AM   #211  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Had this big long reply all typed out and was about to copy it when the screen suddenly wiped out to the - this page is not available - screen. Grrrr. Been having quite a few problems like this lately. Not sure what is causing the problem.

Happy to reply to your post regarding accents etc, but first the flowers - the orchid is called Cattelya Pastoral White, but I call it Lemon and Lime. I bought it with some of the money the Canadians gave me for carting them around the other day. I call it the Canadian Orchid.
As to accents - well no one really minds when they are on holiday if someone comes bouncing up to them and asks them where they are from, but I'll try my best to sort out the differences for you.
First I have no accent - get it!!!! Since I am here and I speak both Aus and Kiwi and very few can pick me these days - I don't have an accent!!!
The English are (mainly) much more precise in their speech. They tend to pronounce things with t's & d's on the end much better than we do. Having said that, I can't understand the Liverpool accent very well. They tend to speak through the nose and say some very interesting things (I think!!!!) The English have so many accents in one small country, it's amazing. Linus will sound much different from Teel. The Edinburgh accent is soft and delightful as opposed to the Glasgow one (now linus is going to say that she is originally from Glasgow. The Irish sound different again.
Australian - sometimes known as strine - is very colloquial. The Aussie will state with total enthusiasm - He's a f****** stubby short of a f****** six pack, mate, whereas the Kiwi will say laconically - he's nucking futs! The English would probably say something like - I have some extreme doubts about the sanity of that gentleman.
The Australian tends to use the letter i as an e, the Kiwi as a u - for example six in Australian is closer to sex, whereas the kiwi is closer to sux.
The English can't often tell the difference either, except that if one is polite and says please and thank you they generally tend to ask if you are a New Zealander. However their usual question goes something like: I don't wish to be insulting, but are you a Kiwi or an Australian? They tend to look at a lot of the Australians as being loud mouthed and obnoxious, and therein lies the differences. No insult intended here, but the Australians tend to lean towards America, whereas the Kiwis tend to look back to Britain with nostalgia. I think it has something to do with the convict mentality.
I suppose we are in the same boat here as we can hardly tell the difference between the Canadians and Americans apart from the odd words which tell them apart. And then of course you have the South Africans whose accents are probably closer to Kiwi than Aus with a Dutch gutteral overlay.
Better go see if I can get this going again.

Last edited by Shad; 07-07-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:08 AM   #212  

shad edinburgh born and bred andthe way youve tapped the whole world in just a few shart sentences had me in fits !!!! my best mates mum {the big biker} is over from your part of the world just now and as her grandson stayed here last night when she comes to pick him up ill ask what bit well as i had to chase the kids to bed at 1.45 am and they bounced out of bed at 7.45 this morning except craig who is out for thee count on the setee id better go and start organising breakfast not used to anyone except me up at this time in the morning they are disturbing my peace and quiet !!!!
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #213  

Linus - when the big bikers mum comes, just stand there and say tena koe ehoa (pronounce it ten a qway e (as in elephant) whore) Now if the Mum is Maori, she will immediately declare war on the Scots and bop you one. If she is just plain ol' Kiwi, she'll say - and good morning to you too my friend. And if she is Australia, she will stand there looking at you and finally say - huhhhhhhhh? Bet you wont say it!!

Now I am off to put some more photos on the web.

Last edited by Shad; 07-07-2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:57 AM   #214  

shell just look at me really weird as she only moved out there three years ago shes originally from edinburgh her eldest son married a lady from down under nd when she went to visit met and married a really lovely guy who thinks were all mad
kirsty
ps the patio is gorge luv the warriors have three or four japanese warrior figurenes in my house {not sure what the fourth is supposed to be as hes a wee bit weird
Old 07-07-2004, 06:22 AM   #215  

Oh okay, don't say that to her then. Not worth the explanation!
Glad you liked the patio and my Chinese gentlemen (two of the few blokes in my life) One day they will get a coat of paint and so will the pillars. Just when is another story.
Bet it looks a bit different these days. I must update the garden photos. It's grown a lot in 2 years.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 AM   #216  

Default Morning

Yipppeeee! Just finish this day at work and I am off again for 5 days..... I have waited all winter and spring to get some time off to enjoy the summer months. It isn't a very warm or hot summer yet but I will try to relax a bit more on this trip. My sis and I are taking my mom for a day to ourselves on friday to pamper my mom. She is a twin and I think my cuz's are taking their mom on a little touring trip in Montana. These twins married brother back in the day so I am very close to my cousins.
I had two mule deer in my yard one doe the other a little buck and I must have looked and talked to them for about 10 minutes it was so cool. Their behavior made me think that they could see their reflections in the windows below the deck where I was standing and they were more interested in the other deer they were seeing than me. It was so fun!
Mel, I do hope you are feeling better and not having much discomfort from your collision...... how are you doing? Why does that rosecea persist itself on you??????? Enough is enough...... What are you plans for the week and the coming weekend?
Linus, you are so awesome! You have done so great with your weight and staying active. Bravo!!!!!! What are you up too for the week?
Shad, I have loaded your webshots to my favorites to view at my leisure. Thanks so much for sharing with us! You help us out on this site so much and are so constant in your attention to all of us.....What a great gal you are, so happy you are here!!!!!! Love the pics.
Happy how are you doing....thanks to you also for sharing the DH's pic they are so fun to view. I have saved that to the favorites also. You have done so fabulous with your smoking I do hope that you are able to have less cravings. Are you going on any trips this summer? The grand canyon is so amazing.... have you toured the other parks like Zion or Brice yet?
Hope Teel is having a smashing time!!! Can;t wait to hear about her trip. My coworker left for europe today...... what a great trip that would be!!!
Who are we missing here that we need to prod to come out and join us here?
Well, I can safely say that my attention to weight loss have been waylaid for the time being with all of my parties and traveling...I am not going crazy well maybe a little but I am going to several functions again this weekend!!! So I am not the best encourager am I for being steady...forgive ladies!!! You won't kick me out of here will you?????
Everyone have a great day....shad you are such a worker...... your son is very lucky to have you for a mum!!!!! Take Good Care everyone...make someone smile today!!!!!!!
See Ya,
Nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 AM   #217  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

WOW it's taken a lot to catch up with you Gals!!
i cancelled the waterfront trip. Staying home with leg elevated. Pain is tolerable and not as bad as I thought it would be. I was going to eat out in the back but there is blacktop paving and concrete pouring going on outside as I type. Best to stay indoors while the smells and debirs are flying around.

Shad~thanks for the eye info. I am trying my best to help Clara.
But the Dr said it is too late and just for her to take the vitamins and eye drops. So many of them have it in this bldg. My ex MIL too. I agree about the moderation thing. It's something I am trying very hard to learn in all aspects of my life. I think at times I need a sledge hammer for myself! The hotos were beautiful and this time I am going to the site and exercise for real. I did the pedals and never went there! Thanks for the photos they make my day.

Happy~ thanks too for the web addie. I bookmarked it and will read after pedalling I knew diet and eyes are related as is almost everything else. "We are what we eat." wherever that came from. Food does play a big role in rosacea but this time I think it was more the stress than food or both.??? I looked at my rosacea journal and saw too many stress days last week with the retirement thing and to be quite frank, when I go down to get on the bus there is still some unrest and unhappiness. I know it will end soon but one of them just got back from vacation and she is taking the burden of the mess now. It won't be easy for her to handle alone. Why am I writing a book about this?!?!?! Sorry, I am rambling now.
If we see in the papers that a woman in Illinois was arrested for stalking we'll know it's our Happy! I can just see her scurrying behind the tourists with her head tilted and listening! Now I wonder how many people were watching her watching them!

I got lost with Shad's eloquent description but they ALL SOUND ENGLISH TO ME!!! Now Canadians(the ex was one) have those words like boot for car trunk etc. I can usually pick them out.
Shad does not have an accent where she lives. But strangely develops one while on the telephone with me! I of course have no accent whatsoever! Most people think I'm from New York anyway. Even the Jerseyites!! I am a woman without a state!!
Linus has an accent even when she types! Must be the keyboard!!

I better get out of here before I get my head handed to me!
Hope you have a great day! I am off to webshots to visit butterflies and touristy photos, gardens and who knows what else!! Adios my friends and take care. Where is Nae too?
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:13 AM   #218  
Happy September

I started that post over an hour ago and went to Clara's. Now I see you here NAE!!! You are just going to **** in a hand cart with all this partying!! I want to come and join you too!!!
Loved the deer story. Jen's bird found another mirror in my bedroom and now when I go in there he flies on my head just to take another peek at the "bird" in that room too. I get a good laugh from him. I have no plans for this week other than learn moderation( I am taking lessons from Shad), how to slow down a wee bit and keep the leg up! Also trying to avoid any whiplash accidents! There are times when I feel like the world is out of control and I want to get off! This is ALMOST one of them. I am presently fighting to turn the tide away and seem to be succeeding! Hope you all have a wonderful Mom's BD time!! And enjoy all the happy summer days while you can. I am squeezing the most out of this summer too! Have a great day also and take care.
PS when the new wheelchair comes or should I say IF... The footrests are pre-attached so maybe my knees won't be getting so banged up anymore. I took them off this chair cause it makes the chair shorter and I can get into spaces easier.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:30 PM   #219  

Shad - also re accents - Aussies (and maybe Kiwis too) tends to speak with a upward lilt at the end - like they are asking a question! I have certainly noticed this. I remember a kiwi who would say sux for six and "iggs" for eggs too. My Aussie mate Jools was with me in a pub and heard a rather raucous Aussie male and went into "Strine". Priceless!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #220  

hi all how are we all ? good i hope well before i go any further i must thank shad and happy and happy,s dh for the wonderful world tour ive had today somehow when viewing it through the eyes of freinds it seems as if ive been to strange cause when i look at pictures on the web or tv or in a book they are lovely but not real somehow but with it being you pair it seems so real and so wonderfull so thankyou very much MEL its my spelling that gives me the accent i type how i speak my english proffesser would be horrified but i am who i am and its no point changing now hope the legs better soon my kids cant wait till i have to use a chair cause they are going to take me to one of our many thousand hills and let me go one very good reason for me to fight to stay out of one also i think id be a terrible driver as i tend to stop mid acction and go into a wee trance as when things pop into my head i tend to examine straight away otherwise id forget all about it ROSE you are living in party central at the moment enjoy it and go to everything my mum says when you get to 50 you can get away with so much more and beleive you me for someone who was a navy diver a nurse and a chef on a seizemographic boat {the ones that survey the oil pipes in the north sea} theres not much she hasnt already done so that leaves you so much scope my husbands gran was a twin and her and her sister married twins so his family are all really close and we all live within 30 mins of each other SHAD freinds mum comes from great ponsonbury ??? aukland she says they are westies hope that makes sense as she had me lost the minute she said aukland shamefully i thought that was in austrailia but as my son will tell you i can produce a 14 course meal for 10 people but dont ask me directions on how to do it as my geography sucks!!! HAPPY your dh must really love his butterflys as it really shows in his photos they are really beautiful and so detailed i loved them and your grand canyon pics were amazing i had such a wonderfull time looking through them so ive bookmarked both yours and shads pages so i can escape more often the only travel programs i ever watched were the ones with billy connolly ,s world tours he goes into places and meets people that your ordinary travel programs would edit out and it makes you feel like your really seeing the real place and your photos were the same thanks again well ladies ive done the housework and the cooking benjy and cleo have been brushed teeth cleaned and nails cut and now benjy is not talking to me as he hates getting his teeth done but my god talk about doggy breath the dog will not chew so he waits until cleo chews the nyla bone till its soggy and then pinches it hes so lazy the goldfish have been cleaned and the topical fish have had there partial water change so im now going to go and plat settlers for a while the kids bounced out of their beds at 7.45 this morning well conner and jd did but craig was bodily dragged from his at 1.55 so they are being very qiuet and relaxed so hopefully early to bed for them and ME
speak later
kirsty
Old 07-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #221  

Oh goodo Linus, so she's from Ponsonby in Auckland, near the top of the North Island. Not sure about the Westies bit tho! I'm from further south and to me a Westie would be someone who comes from the West Coast of the South Island. generally called a Coaster and therefore is a living being not to be confused with any other form of New Zealander. They are a wild lot on the West Coast. I have a friend who was a Policeman and he got sent down there to the Coast. Seems the only use for a copper down there is to bring on the oranges at half time in a fight in the pub. The Coasters tend to sort themselves out!!!!!
Mel, we definitely do not all sound English - even half the English do not sound English. You may well start WW111 if you lump us all into the same sound box!! Linus' lot have spent countless years trying to get away from the English, so have Mooz's mob. We managed it by coming 13000 miles around the globe. We also use words like car boot and bonnet rather than trunk or hood so the Canadians are not alone.
Peacock, the raucous Aussie male was probably raucous because no one could understand what he was saying - so he said it louder. The implication being that the listener is both deaf and daft - not the Aussie. Yes many of the Aussies have that upward inflection at the end of the sentence, particularly in North Queensland. It can be amusing and confusing. I've also noticed it in some Americans. The New Zealanders tend not to have it - instead they put eh on the end of everything. 'Just off to the boozer for an hour or two eh.' You have no idea at times whether they are asking or telling! They also use the words Bro or cuz in the sentence - particularly those who live within the Maori tradition. Hey bro, just off to the boozer eh. You wanna come and bring all the cuzzies and bros. (or maybe the cuzzy-bros) Bro tends to be inside the family or tribe, cuz is anyone.
You lot are my bro's - or in this case broesses.
Enough of this. The day is moving along. I have weights at the gym today. :I'm off there shortly.:
DS place is moving along and the first coat of paint will go on the bedroom today. Need to make a list of stuff to take over there. Son is dutifully impressed with my progress. DS friend will probably be able to move in some of her stuff this weekend. Although they will need to move the pile of carpet currently residing in the middle of the living room.
Then I am about to tackle something I have not done before and that is to mark up and cut the fibro cement board for around the bath. So wish me luck! I picked up a couple of new tools yesterday - the fibro cutter and a mitre box and saw. Jeez I'll have a well stocked tool kit shortly. Can you see me clanking around the house with one of those tool bags on my hips.

Roseblush you seem to be having such a good time. Long may it last. The time will come when you are ready to knuckle down and get serious about your weight loss. In the meantime, just try to keep it in check and keep coming back here. We love the stories of the deer and the woodpeckers and the birds and bees etc.

Peacock it is good to hear from you again. Where have you been?

Mel, shame about the waterfront, but there will be other times, I'm sure. Just look after yourself, you hear. We can't have a bruised and battered person around. I'm sure the people in the office will miss you. It's probably a bit sad that you had to give it away, however if it was the sort of situation where you had a small job that took up maybe one or two part days of your time, then I would have said hang on to it. But like most places, the more you do, the more you get to do and you just can not keep up the pace anymore. Maybe in the future, you might like to volunteer for something like Linda does, where you can strictly control the time given and the work done. It's too much to ask you to retire from life. We all need some stimulation and purpose in this world.

Linus I'm glad you liked the photos on my webshots site. I must admit that I have a lot of pleasure putting them there. Sometimes it's almost like going back to the holiday and I think of the people I met and the places I went and the fun I had.

Teel I think should be home tomorrow. I'm waiting, waiting, waiting to hear how things went.

Time I was off here and off to the gym. Weights - errrrrr yes and maybe a time on the rowing machine. Okay, thats a plan.

Last edited by Shad; 07-07-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #222  
Happy September

You may well ask what I did wioth myself all day with the leg up in the air! Well I spent 2 hours on webshots looking at butterflies again and Toronto, Tour guide Far Northj Queensland, Grand Canyon(again), Niagra falls, Undurra sunsets(my fav) and castles and teahouses. Then I spent another almost 2 hours trying to NAME THAT BUTTERFLY!!! Happy's DH had a pic there and I went in search of one to match it. No luck but I found tons of butterfly sites! I am exhaustred and feel hjungry so it's off to dinner for me. A wee bit late but I had a great day in webshots! Do we have any butterfly smilies?!?!
Peacock~ Nice of you to drop by!!! Hope you are well and happy.

OK girls, take care and have a great night. Shad will be busy with her new toys while I am in dreamland. Wonder if I'll hear the saws!! Have fun and be careful!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #223  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

butterfly smilies you say? You have to look really really close but they are smiling
Attached Images
File Type: gif icon14.gif (781 Bytes, 21 views)
File Type: gif icon3.gif (785 Bytes, 20 views)
File Type: gif icon9.gif (1.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: gif icon16.gif (785 Bytes, 19 views)
File Type: gif icon10.gif (705 Bytes, 22 views)

Last edited by happy2bme; 07-07-2004 at 07:11 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #224  
Happy September

Talking Hello To You Too!

i FOUND THIS WHEN i WAS BROWSING! i TRIED SOOOOO HARD TO NAME THAT FLY!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif HELLO.gif (19.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #225  

Neat butterflies. Mel is getting so good at butterflies and the internet, we may have to set her up in research on the web.