Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:03 PM   #151  

Hi chicks! I have been having a bit of trouble gettting notified of posts again, plus i updated my email address and that is sure a pain. I was just getting too much spam. Most all of the mail was spam and i've had it. Hope this works for a good long while.

~~LC~~ sounds like a wonderful romantic "date" you have w/DH tonite. Enjoy every second! The concert sounds fun. I don't know many people by name in jazz, but i'm sure it will be awesome. Sorry it was so tough to give up the fruit, and you had to add it back, but we all know it's still healthier than other "junk" simple carbs. YGG~ You must do what is right for you.

~~MEJ~~Have fun at the wedding. And yes, can you believe Sept is nearly 1/2 over already! It JUST got here it seems
sorry to hear any rain you do get will be too late for the crop season. I did not realise how bad it was by you. Did you just get some rain, as we now have rain here. And it might be on & off all weekend.

~~1DAY~~ good job for sticking to your new program YGG
that is gotta be tough esp. in the beginning. Good luck at your work meeting. Too funny on the 50# bag, dear! Wishing you well in all these new endeavors.

~~~CAT~~glad your kitty is doing better. I am totally with you on NOT going back to the previous weight. I just could not deal with it all if i let myself gain to that point...those 50# sacks of spuds! Stay away from us...... I guess some fast walking might keep me ahead of it all!~ Will have to try that tomorrow. Maybe after the rains stop it will be less humid. It is odd for it to stay so long into Sept. I can fit into a pair of denim shorts like i could when i was nearly at my WW goal weight last year, so i know the inches aren't all back at least! for awhile they were so tight all i wanted to do was drink water while wearing them. Now i could eat out with them on, so something is still going well. The scales don't show it yet...but i will take it.

Dr. Phil is coming on! must go chicks~~ hi to MOOZ, NITA~~
MICHELLE~~HALGAL~~everyone else! I will be back sooner next time

's to all!!
thinlizzie

Old 09-13-2003, 08:31 AM   #152  
Mooz

Good Day chickies. I am down 1 pound this morning when I weighed in so if I can keep this up then maybe I can aim for 1 pound per week. I did not get for a walk last night as it was raining and windy so we gave it a miss. It is a beautiful morning here today - very warm - unusual for this time of year.#
Orla gets home from Amsterdam today and I hope she has some good pictures to show. I will post them to webshots sometime.
Gotta go do some housework.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #153  

YAY MOOZ!!!
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°HIP, HIP, HOORAY°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Way to go on losing the stubborn stuff YGG~~ Keep thinking positive thoughts. And we will both be trying for our walk today. It poured last evening, but the sun is trying to come thru now. They don't think it will rain again till this eve.

Happy Saturday All~~
thinlizzie

PS...what did you all think of Dr. Phil last night? i was a bit dissapointed in how he would tell a heavy person to "just do it"...well, not in those exact words, but to get out and "run" was not a good choice for exercise. I could see if a person injures themself and then you stop altogether...walking or swimming would be the best way to start off getting into some kind of activity.

Last edited by thinlizzie; 09-13-2003 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #154  

11 Great Ways To Get Motivated

You know you've got to get moving. You resolve to park the car a few blocks from work, take the stairs and hit the gym after work. But a few weeks pass and before you know it parking spots start opening up right in front of the building, the elevator is already in the lobby, and you've worked late every night that week. It's not that you don't know how to get fit, you just can't seem to stay motivated. We all know people who are religious with their workouts. So, what's their secret?

We asked fitness experts and regular Joes alike how they stick with their routine. These methods keep them moving; maybe one will work for you.

Embarrass Yourself
Make a mark on your calendar every time you make it to the gym or park. Seeing your motivation,(or lack thereof) in black and white helps keep you going. Suzanne Schlosberg and Liz Neporent, authors of Fitness for Dummies, Second Edition (IDG Books Worldwide, Inc., 2000) suggest "whether you write your goals on the side of your shoe or in your training diary, glancing at them on a daily basis will help keep you focused and motivated. Some people tape their goals to their bathroom mirror or refrigerators." Do whatever works to make you remember what you promised yourself.

Join a Club that Wouldn't Have You for a Member
So you're not Steffi Graf. That doesn't mean you can't join a tennis team. Richard Cotton, chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise says "joining a club, team, or finding an exercise partner…provides a support system and someone to simply share the experience with. Often times just knowing someone will be asking you 'How's it going?' can be the difference between exercise success and failure."

Love Thy Neighbor and Love Thyself
You can't leave a neighbor standing on the corner checking her watch. She knows where you live. Miriam Nelson, Director of the Center for Physical Fitness at Tufts University, and the author of Strong Women Stay Young and Strong Women Stay Slim (Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1999) says, "When I make a date with a neighbor to go for a run I keep it, and we have a great time." She also plans a regular appointment with her neighbors. "Saturday mornings several of my neighbors come over and we lift weights together; it's a great way to start the weekend," she says.

Challenge Yourself
Working towards an event — like a 5K walk or run, or an overnight bike trip to a faraway bed and breakfast — keeps you on track. Every time you exercise you'll be closer to meeting your goal. "The minute you mail in your entry fee, you'll have a whole new sense of purpose. And the feeling of accomplishment you get from completing your event is like nothing else," say Schlosberg and Neporent.

Dance, Dance, Dance
"Music is a fantastic motivator," says Michael Olajide, Jr., a former professional boxer and inventor of Aerobox workout routines. "It can push you to do more and to exercise longer, even longer than you planned." Who doesn't get a surge of energy every time they hear their favorite tune? Plus, it's the perfect excuse to get that new CD.

Don't Count the Miles
"Do not workout to burn calories or lose weight," says Emme, plus-size model, author, and columnist. "There are more important things than burning calories taking place during your workout. Newfound self esteem and stress reduction are just two positive aspects of many that come to mind." If you're always focusing on burning off your morning doughnut, of course exercise seems like a chore. Try exercising for the sake of your health, not your body.

Find the Fun
Forget about the "no pain, no gain" attitude. "The mind, body and soul connection is very important here, don't forget to have fun," says Emme. Pick an activity you've always loved, like biking or walking outdoors. The more enjoyable it is, the more likely you'll stick with it.

Make It a Family Affair
"When I go for a run I entice one of my kids to go with me — he or she goes on their bike and I run. It's a great way to be together with my kids," says Miriam Nelson. Who better to egg you on than the ones who love you best.

Learn to Love Lycra
"Buying snazzy new workout shorts or comfy new cross-trainers can really get you fired up to work out, " say Schlosberg and Neporent. Once you realize how much better the right equipment makes a workout, you'll be loving your sports bra as much as soccer star Brandi Chastain.

Dive for Dollars
Money is the ultimate motivator. Put a dollar in a jar every time you make it to the gym. At the end of a month, treat yourself to a massage. You'll be at the gym more often than the trainers.

It's About Time
"My mood motivates me to work out, so timing is everything," says Kathy Kaehler, personal trainer and author. If you aren't up for a workout don't feel guilty about postponing. On the other hand, exercise has been known to improve a bad mood. Work out your aggressions in the gym instead of at home or work.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good afternoon ladies,

Thin - I watched Dr. Phil last evening, and I agree with you. There's a lot more to it than just getting out and running. I am interested in seeing just how he handles this program when it gets started. I am disappointed to see that he, too, is going to have drinks and bars--it seems like he is just out there to bring in the cash. I do believe, however, he is correct when he says you have to change your attitude about food.

While on the treadmill this morning another paid advertisement came on re weight loss. I believe it was called "Fresh Start." It all boils down the same--these people are getting rich off of us and frankly, I do believe we need to go back to the days when all these "drinks" "bars" and quick weight losing gimmicks did not exist. When my youngest DD was 2 years old I joined TOPS. This was in 1968 and they recommended the Diabetic program was one which we could follow. I chose to do so and got down to 115 lbs. in about 6 months. I remember taking a slice of bread and using a serated knife to have two slices for a sandwich. Tuna at that time did not come waterpacked and we had to rinse it thoroughly before using it. Regular cottage cheese was also a staple item. I also used "regular" Italian dressing in my salad.

Well I had better get off my soapbox but I just had to write down my thoughts. Tonight my DH and I are going to play cards with my girlfriend and I am looking forward to talking with her friend who is visiting from Wisconsin. She had her stomach stapled the early part of September and has lost probably over 45 lbs. I am also going to observe what she eats.

I did attend the WW meeting again this week and this is a over 50 lb. group. One of the gentleman who was on his first week lost 11 lbs. Also one of our ladies reached her lifetime with a loss of 70 lbs. I still haven't read all of the new material but I do believe WW is still the healthiest program out there. There again some of these other programs do have a lot of recipes that can be added to the WW program and some of their ideas are very good.

It finally cooled off here and now everything looks brighter living here in Arizona!

Take care, ladies,
Anita
Old 09-14-2003, 01:49 PM   #156  
Give peace a chance.

Default good afternoon

Mooz--congrats on the wt loss.

1day--hope the the SB diet works for you. Sounds like you and LC have done some good planning.

Nita--thanks for cheering on. Could you combine the SB diet with WW? I remember they had a low-carb plan. Maybe you could plug in the SB, at least after the first weeks.

Do you have a mall where your DH can walk? I know when my DM was rather frail, she said it was so much nicer to walk in the mall because you could stop to rest and people didn't say, "Ma'am, do you need help?"

Michelle--sorry for the stress you're under. Sending

Mej--hope that dress for the wedding is so loose they have to take it up! Maybe your DD will opt for a simple wedding. Nothing lovelier than a bride in a white dress, of course, but I think making things so elaborate that everyone is miserable is a waste.

In spite of stress over DH, today has been pretty good, and I am working on getting in my exercise and yoga and eating low GI.

Hal, everyone else--best to all.

Catlover
Old 09-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #157  

Hello Ladies,
My computer went out on me friday afternoon, so saturday I was busy taking it to the shop. Luckily it's still under warrenty, cause they think it's the motherboard. Don't know much about pc, but i think to replace it runs around 200-300...
I did pretty good on the SBD, the one thing I notice is i'm not really hungary... I eat, but I don't get the craving to just eat & eat... also I have to remind myself to drink water...
I also saw Dr. Phil & I was somewhat disappointed too. We'll I need to run..
Old 09-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #158  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Hi chickies. Not doing to well the last few days. Didn't see Dr Phill but wish that I did. DH and I went to the David Wilcox concert it was great. Well hope that you all have a great night. So this is so short but don't have much time.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 148.8

Hi Everyone,

It looks like our forum is pretty quiet today! Everyone must be getting things done for the upcoming week.

Well I am trying the new WW Flex Plan, and I have decided to make it interesting. I made a fabulous recipe today--it is a WW cookie recipe and counts as 1 pt. each.
1 Hershey Chocolate Bar 1.5 oz.
1/4 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of Fiber One Cereal

Melt bar and peanut butter in microwave until smooth at 30 second intervals not to burn. Stir to mix chocolate and peanut butter. Add cereal and gently coat. Drop on wax paper or foil making 9 cookie size pieces. Freeze for 30 minutes and then put in zip lock bag and refrigerate.

I already had one for a snack and it was absolutely wonderful.

I put the scale away again because I know it doesn't make sense to weigh each day. The new plan allows me 20 pts. based on my weight range plus I get 35 pts. per week to use however I want to. They can be used each day or all in one day--it is entirely up to the individual. Now their journal starts out with your total pts. and each time you eat you deduct those points until you get to zero. So far it does make more sense. Also the fact that I walked on the treadmill this morning for 35 minutes I could also add 2 pts to my day's allowance. I will keep you apprised on how this new program works.

Well ladies it's almost time for dinner so I will wish all of you a very "successful" week!

Anita
Old 09-15-2003, 08:50 PM   #160  
Give peace a chance.

Goodness, we are a small group.

Nita--glad you like the WW plan, and 1`day the SBD. Hi there LC also.

Think I did pretty well today--walked before work and did about 1 minutes of yoga.

Dissappointment was my storytelling class was cancelled, but maybe I was overbooked anyway.

Prob. will not check in tomorrow as will be over at KC for DH's surgery.

Best toa ll--
Catlover
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 AM   #161  
Mooz

Good Morning Chickies.
Just a quick call before work. My eating is not too bad although I did have some more of that Dutch Chocolate yesterday. I did not get for walk yesterday either so I need to do something today for exercise. I did give blood yesterday ........ my blood is O Negative and they were short of it so I felt oblidged to go. I wonder how many calories that used up ................ better go get ready for work ...........

Have a nice day all

Anne

Old 09-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #162  
Give peace a chance.

Off to the hospital--wish us well.

Catlover
Old 09-16-2003, 12:05 PM   #163  

Cat - Saying a prayer for DH & sending over to watch over him..
Old 09-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #164  
Got Cat Style!

Hello Everyone! There's time before Canadian Idol comes on so I will try to relieve the boredom around here. Not that I'm exciting or anything, but I'll give it a shot.

Message to little chick: Hynotizin' boogie....hypnotizin' boogie...sure feel's good...can't dance but I wish I could!

I will start off with some good news: I weigh 165 and it's going down! My lowest weight to date. Wooo-hoooo! Might not seem like a great achievement but I had been stuck around 167 - 169 lbs. for weeks and it didn't seem to want to come off anymore. So I bumped up my exercise a bit and switched to fruit and carrot sticks for some of my snacks, and that did the trick.

I'm sure most of you have heard about that little storm out there in the Atlantic. Apparently it's likely headed straight for us hurricane challenged people here in Ontario, and should arrive late in the day on Friday. In case some of you don't know, the last time this happened was in 1954 and it was a terrible disaster in Toronto. Eighty-one people died, and I recall reading that an entire subdivision was basically washed away when 241mm of rain fell in 24 hours. They are saying that Isabel has the possibility of being every bit as bad as Hazel was all those years ago. So you would think that people would be a little bit concerned, wouldn't you?

I have been watching the news and they haven't said boo about what kind of precautions people should take in the event it should escalate into a very bad storm. Apparently once the hurricane hits land it loses strength, but when it follows the path of this storm and continues up to the Great Lakes it can suddenly worsen , as was the case almost 50 years ago. Perhaps they don't want to alarm people, but don't you think they should be spelling out exactly what we can expect? I would sure like to have some advice beyond by extra bottled water, food and batteries, which is all I've heard so far.

So if any of you ladies have had hurricane experience I would love to hear of your experiences. Luckily I am on high ground in a relatively sheltered area so I don't have to worry about my house turning into Noah's Ark...I just have to hope it doesn't blow away!

Last edited by tambolite; 09-16-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #165  
Got Cat Style!

Just thought I'd add that I heard on the TV that the storm should go east of Toronto, which is good because I'm west of Toronto. However we will get a huge amount of rain.
Closed Thread