Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #91  
Give peace a chance.

Good morning--

Mooz did you see that chocolate can actually lower your blood pressure? What we all need is to control our portions (sigh).

Did I mention that I ordered the electronic calorie from Avon? I hope this will help me journal.

DS is feeling better, tho with still a cough. DH is feeling pretty bad--he can only go an hour or so, then has to rest. Of course, with the holiday, he won't even get the results of the test until Tue.

My printer broke (No, I think I broke it, trying to unjamb it.) Fortunately, I suppose, we have another printer because Earl's computer broke. Such a pain!

We're getting some serious rain, which we needed so badly--and it's cooled off significantly.

Hope eveyone has a good day.

Catlover
Old 08-30-2003, 01:08 PM   #92  

Something I wanted to share with all my chick sisters:

by Maya Angelou
When I was in my younger days,
I weighed a few pounds less,
I needn't hold my tummy in
to wear a belted dress.
But now that I am older,
I've set my body free;
There's the comfort of elastic
Where once my waist would be.
Inventor of those high-heeled shoes
My feet have not forgiven;
I have to wear a nine now,
But used to wear a seven.
And how about those pantyhose-
They're sized by weight, you see,
So how come when I put them on
The crotch is at my knee?
I need to wear these glasses
As the print's been getting smaller;
And it wasn't very long ago
I know that I was taller.
Though my hair has turned to gray
and my skin no longer fits,
On the inside, I'm the same old me,
It's the outsides changed a bit.
But, on a positive note...

I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these Three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.

I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life."

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Please send this to five phenomenal women today. If you do, something good will happen: You will boost another woman's self-esteem. (If you don't ...the elastic will break and your panty hose will fall down around your ankles.)
Old 08-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #93  

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Yesterday I took the day off, to have a long weekend. Ran lots of errans. Today I am cleaning house. I have a good size house for just me, but my kitchen is very small. I don't think I have enough cabinet space. We'll actually I do, but one set of cabinets has dishes that I never use. I don't want to get rid of them, but I want to use the space for things that are on the counter. So I decided to put the dishes in a storage container..(those rubbermade containers) & free up some space. So yesterday I went to our home depot & got the containers & also that bubble insulation so I can protect the dishes. I have had those dishes for 10 years & have never used them. I don't know why I just don't donate them to a womens's shelter, but I don't like getting rid of stuff. Anyway today is basically house projects.

Cat - hope your dh gets to feeling better. I think we're due for some rain this weekend too. We could also use it. I hope the avon calorie counter works for you. I have got to get back to journaling too....

Mooz - I forgot to get the book yesterday, but I have it on my list for today.

we'll I need to run... Hope everyone has a great weekend..
Old 08-30-2003, 01:29 PM   #94  
Groovy Canadian Chick

Good Morning!

Another beautiful day here in BC. So DH and I are going to take advantage of it and go to the lake and relax. We went bowling last night...boy am I rusty! But it was fun. Then we went to Boston Pizza for a bite with our friends. I resisted and ordered a chicken salad while my husband and friends had pizza and appies. My husband compliment me after...he was impressed with my willpower. It's hard, but the end result will be worth it.

A group of us are going to a friend's tomorrow to have a bbq and watch Lord of the Rings: Two Towers. We've all seen it 3-4 times already in the theatre. But now that it's on DVD, we're having our own private release party It should be fun!

As for Monday, no plans yet. I think relaxing is in order. Or maybe a little shopping

Do any of you chicks scrapbook? I do and my girlfriends are getting interested. I love shopping for scrapbook stuff. My DH just shakes his head when I come home with more stuff....hehehe.

Nita- Congrats on your weight loss...that's great Let me know what you think of the new WW plan.

Mooz- I enjoyed looking at your pictures. They're great. Thanks for sharing them. And your not alone with the chocolate thing...I'm the same way. That's why we don't have chocolate in the house

Thin- It makes a difference when you exercise with someone. I workout with my girlfriend and it makes it a lot easier.

Cat- Can you send some rain our way....we could use it too! Part of BC is in a state of emergency do to forest fires.

Chacha- Hi...welcome back from Vacation

1 Day- Did you get to see Mars yet?

I hope that everyone has a fabulous long weekend!

Jodie
Old 08-30-2003, 06:04 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good Afternoon to all you Chicks!

Well it still is another hot day in Phoenix. Besides being hot it is also humid. However, I did manage to go to the Mall and walk around for a couple of hours. They have such great buys but I really don't need anything at the moment. I really need to get rid of a lot of stuff I don't use, especially those bigger clothes.

My DH is going to go watch me practice my bowling and then we will go for dinner. I really don't enjoy going out to dinner because there are too many choices, however, I feel bad because he is stuck at home the whole week. He says he's content to watch TV and play with our dog so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

My friend at bowling yesterday gave me a copy of the 1972 WW program. Both she and I did very well on this program back in our younger days. It's most interesting and one of the most unique things about it is that there were no "fat free" "lowfat" items to choose from because they just didn't exist. They even suggested you eat white bread--can you imagine that? I am going to try and follow their menu for one week and see what results I get. It's all coming back now how we used to make desserts with ordinary ingredients.

Well I had better get off the internet so we can get moving here. I hope everyone is having a fabulous holiday weekend!

Anita
Old 08-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #96  
Give peace a chance.

Default good evening

Jodie--yes, we've heard about the terrible fires in BC. Sounds like they must be some distance from you and yours. Sure hope you get some rain. It was much cooler today--but because of the rain we only got a short walk in.

I got SO frustrated, too. For the second time I've tried to finish off the convention program for the Kansas Authors Club, and for the second time the stupid computer ate the graphics. I asked my partner in this--who's quite computer savvy, he actually edited a computer magazine--and he can't figure it out and neither can my son. Does anyone have any ideas? Michelle?

Oh--I did some scrapbooking a few years back, nothing very elaborate as some people do, but still I enjoyed it, but somehow dropped it.

I have to keep reminding myself that I get Monday off, an actualy PAID holiday. Doesn't happen in the security biz.

Must get to bed. Good night all.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:01 AM   #97  
Got Cat Style!

Talking

Good Evening ladies! Finally I have returned. In case anyone wondered what happened, well, one evening I started up my computer and it went completely screwy. Ever since we got a new printer it started to go hay wire, and eventually it got completely jammed up and we couldn't get it going at all. To make a long story short we ended up buying a new computer this morning, and it's a wonderful contraption...way better than the old one. My only problem is the keys are slightly off the position of the old ones and I keep making typos. This Windows XP sure is a huge improvement, and we now have a flatter liquid crystal screen that I really like. Wonder of wonders, everything is now on one desk and there is room to spare.

Since I last visited Movin' and Losin' many things have happened which I will mention as time goes by. I don't have much time this evening so I will just tell you the most important thing. My weight loss is going well. The last time I weighed myself I was down to 166 lbs. and I was thrilled because I had been stuck at 168 for several weeks and was getting frustrated. Of course it is that wonderful time of the month right now and I tend to retain water and get puffy...suddenly zippers that closed two days ago have no intention of meshing. I now have a policy that I stay away from the scale until it's all over and my puffiness has disappeared. I love my elliptical trainer and have been faithfully burning off calories every evening and most nights I shoot for 200. I find it helps to watch an interesting program while doing this because the time passes faster and I've noticed the exertion is less taxing if I am enjoying myself. My husband was really surprised to note that I am actually using the equipment faithfully. I guess he thought I would buy it and it would sit there gathering dust.

So I am doing well and on track to reach my goal. I figure it will take until my birthday in March to get down close to the weight I would like to be. Currently I am just about down to a size 12. Some 12's fit and some don't. My weight loss has just been noticed by a co-worker so I must be doing something right! I haven't been whistled at yet, but perhaps I'm just too old now to attract that kind of attention. Well, maybe not...we'll see! Maybe there's a few good years left in this old girl. I'm not ready to be put out to pasture yet. When I get into the 150's I think I may reward myself with a sexy new haircut. I love longer hair but I have been told when my hair was shorter that it takes 10 years off my face. I have been thinking of going to a place that has real stylists and getting a short, stylish cut and perhaps changing the colour somewhat just to shake things up.

I will try to check in here regularly in the coming weeks and hope to catch up with everyone. It was awful not being able to get on the Internet and let everyone know what happened to me. Most people assume that when you disappear it's by choice, but not in my case. The worst thing was that I have been making myself a cookbook and I lost all the recipes I had typed into a file, and the graphics I had downloaded for the same book. I guess I learned a lesson the hard way...from now on I will print them out as I type them in!

Last edited by tambolite; 09-01-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #98  

Mornin' Chicks~~

TAMBOLITE~~~sooo good to hear from you. And with all the good news too! I am so proud of you for doing so well on your program..it just motivates me to hear of it! I have always heard the best all around piece of equipment is that elliptical. Keep on working out! and that size/weight you desire is attainable. Plus you will have developed some "fun" and good habits that will sustain you at your goal.

The haircut sounds great! and a new color too YGG~~that would be awesome. And yes, it does take years off the face to have it cut shorter. I say yes! Go for it. And take a pic and show us pleeeezzze~ that would be so nice to see.

Glad you were able to get such a nice new computer. With XP and all the new gadgets. Poor CAT~~lost all that stuff on her computer too. That is what i dread the most. I am working on a cookbook too. I do save to disk pretty often, but one just never knows. This computer is getting pretty outdated too. I need to get a laptop for our travels, but the prices for what i "require" are still up there over 1,000. So i keep waiting. It's very hard to do on this fixed income now.

My GF and i have been able to get together for walks more now(well we are making an effort! and it's great having a buddy!) For 2 days we did 2 miles each time. We've got our pedometers "tuned up" and now by walking a track at the school we were able to get them to show the miles accurately. Then yesterday it was hotter and we only did one mile. She gets alot of cramps in her legs and ankles and when they don't stretch out we just have to cut it a little short. I don't know if she's lacking something or if it's her diabetes or ? But she gets in alot of pain.

We are heading for the lake today. Got to finish staining/waterproofing the deck today. So i will get some exercise and perhaps i can get in the lake too for a good swim. It is not getting as hot anymore, only in the mid 70's if we are lucky like yesterday, and the lake is getting colder by the day, so it will have to be extra hot (or should i say I will have to be extra hot) to get in that cool water probably. The one bad thing about losing weight has been that i am not as able to tolerate the change in temps. Whether it be in or out of water! My DH teases me about it, but it sure would not be worth gaining it back for! I will just dress warmer! Plus he takes me to Arizona for winters now so i don't have to be cold for long.

Well, a happy healthy Labor Day to all the good chicks! Hope you are having a wonderful day and i will check back later on Tues.

thinlizzie
Old 09-01-2003, 10:08 AM   #99  
Give peace a chance.

Oh, no, just lost the message.

Wll write later. Phooey.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #100  

WELCOME BACK TAMBOLITE -- It's great to hear from you again and congratulations on your determined to get those extra pounds off. Like Thin, it gives me incentive to hang in there. I still have 3-1/2 more pounds to lose before weighing in this Thursday. However, since I didn't weigh in in July or August I will need to pay the $12 but that's okay because they have come up with a new program and it seems each time this happens I get really enthused again to get with the program.

I am going to start working one day a week this Thursday--that way I will have a 6-day weekend. I thought it would keep me up with the times and I didn't think I would ever say this--but I miss working! It's probably the interaction with people that I miss the most.

We finally sold our other car today so we are down to a one-car family and that is okay because from now on I am the only driver.

I thought I would share this WW breakfast with everyone. I used to make this in the 70's when we didn't have lowfat/fat-free products. All you do is toast two pieces of whole wheat bread. You then put enough cottage cheese on each piece and sprinkle cinnamon and some sweet n low. You then pop it in the broiler for a couple of minutes. If you use the lowcal bread you only have 2-3 points at the most depending on the amount of cheese you use. I also eat an orange as well. This is very filling and it is the WW's idea of a cheese danish! Try it, you will enjoy it!

Anita
Old 09-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #101  

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

I hope this finds everyone enjoying an extra day of free time this Labor Day weekend. I've always been of the thought that free time is worth more than all the money in the world.

School has been good, as we enter our 4th week of the year. We have changed our progress reporting system from midterm to tri-term - so the first grade reports went out last Thursday during our open house to the parents/students. I had 2 students come without their parents, they wanted their progress reports! Cool, huh? We have a rather wicked influenza virus making the rounds within our schools, and doctors say it is a 10 to 14 day virus. This seems early, as they usually tend to appear toward the Thanksgiving holiday. Anyway... I caught it, and have been vegging since coming home Friday evening. Today I can breathe and feel I am bouncing back, but oh my gosh. I've just been forcing all the fluids I can stand, and sleeping and sleeping. Most school days are 10 to 13 hours long, and that definitely sets the stage for low immunity from germs and viruses.

Add to that, my classes at UK begin this week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am only taking 4 hours, the Tuesday class meets every other week. It is a practicum course for administration and supervision.

The good news is the Adkins plan is in good shape. I love this plan. I actually do not feel deprived. I made some stuffed mushrooms last week (stuff with chopped mushroom stems, pepperoni, cream cheese and spices) bake at 350 degrees until hot. Oh my gosh... I put a few in foil packets and took to work. I have 6 ovens in my foods labs, so I am lucky. These things were so tasty. I use the mini food processer that came on my blender to chop the mushroom stems and pepperoni. I also added some vadalia onion.

Bush is on CNN live talking about the economy and lack of employment opportunities. Can you say clueless? I am not sorry...I've got relatives that have been in and out of work for the last 2 years due to the struggling economy. Only as the re-election campaigns begin does he notice??? Oh, it is Labor Day and he is speaking about productive America.

Michellez: Thank you for posting your website. I marked it as a favorite to share with my friend when he comes by to work on my computer. I am going to have him install a CD writer, and fix my scanner (missing a driver). I honestly believe this is a growth industry and wish your husband the best of luck!

OneDay: Thanks for the Maya Angela quote. Very nice! I have a small kitchen also. I keep all my kitchen toys (crock pot, rotissery, cappacino machine, larger serving dishes and such) in a large storage close in my garage. My garage is attached to the rear of my enclosed deck. Ahh... to be organized.

Nita: Great picture of you. You look wonderful. I am very interested in reading the South Beach book also. Adkins works for me. The more I read and hear about other recommended eating plans I am seeing a reduction in over all carbohydrates with an emphasis on whole foods/carbs. I totally agree with you, when I am off of sugar, the cravings and highs/lows that leave are well worth the effort. Now to shop and plan so I can stay on the plan. That is key... I saw pancakes made on The Today show with 2 eggs, ricotta cheese and some vanilla whey powder, but I used the Adkins baking mix. I added some baking powder, splenda and a dash of vanilla. Can you say yummmmm.... I topped them this weekend with fresh black berries. You have to make them silverdollar size due to the ricotta cheese being a tad heavy... but they are really good.

Thin: Always good to hear from you. Red peppers are on sale here for .68 a piece. How they determine that price I have no idea, but I love them. Add to salads, stir fry with sweet onions and other peppers, I wonder how they would be stuffed? Hummmm???? Now that Rocky is weighing in at a solid 4 and a half pounds we need to begin walking. I know he would love it, and to get me out there. He can now jump up on the sofa! He is growning and learning every day.

Tambolie: Welcome back, we always can use a good word, and it certainly sounds like (other than your computer problems) you are doing very well. I collect low carb recipies, and have printed them along the way. I like you learned the hard way a few years back things on the computer can be gone in a FLASH...!!! Share some of your favorite recipies with us!

Jodie: Welcome, welcome, welcome... you will love this thread. Most of us have been here for quite some time, and feel the support here is priceless. I have a feeling your added support will make this thread even stronger! Thanks for sharing!!!

Well I do hope everyone has a wonderful holiday! Nothing like a short work week!!!

Old 09-01-2003, 09:07 PM   #102  

Good Evening Ladies,

Spent most of the day, laying around the house. Yesterday I woke up with a very sore throat & major headache. I belive with all the cleaning the dust irritated my sinsus. Anway it was my day of rest.

Tambolite - so good to hear from you. I'm so glad you are doing well on the elliptical. I tried that a few months ago & it was hard. I think I was up to 13 minutes. How much have you lost since you started on the elliptical?

Hal - Wow, Rocky is up to 4 1/2 lbs. He is growing. My dog just loves to walk too. In fact when once we got started on a walking routine in the evening he sits by his leash just waiting for his walk. I"m glad your feeling better & glad to hear that Adkins is working well for you.

Nita - I think i'm going to try that receipe tomorrow morning. Keep the receipes coming.

Thin - Sounds like the the lakehouse is going to keep you pretty busy. Glad you were able to get your walks in with your GF.

Jodie - WTG for skipping the pizza & the appts. I know that is hard when everyone else is eating it. Hope you ejoyed the movie & hopefully there were some good snacks to enjoy.

Cat - Hope you were able to get your computer problems fixed. I'm afraid I am no help.

Mitchellez, Chacha - Hope you all are doing ok.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:49 PM   #103  
Give peace a chance.

Default good evening

Just a quick explanation--on the project I'mdoing, I have the graphics, and the text changes I made--they're just not in the same file .

Pretty good day--got my walk in and yoga and did pretty well on eating. Of course, there were a hundred more things I'd like to have done. Dh really can't do any housework so that makes more with less time.

I should get my Avon calorie counter tomorrow. Hope it helps!

Welcome back Tammy!!!

Good night to all
Old 09-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #104  

Good Afternoon Ladies

Wow I can't believe I was the first to post today. I know everyone is back to work, school etc.

Cat - Sounds like you have your hands full, with cleaning, cooking etc. Hope the Avon calculator works for you.

We'll I need to run... I going to check out the SouthBeach web site.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #105  

Hi Everyone,

Well it is still hot here--110 today. I can hardly wait for this summer to be over!

Yesterday and today I opted to eat cereal for dinner and as of this morning I now have 2-1/2 lbs. to go to my weigh-in goal. I only have two days and I may not make it, however, it will be okay because I will at least get the new program and it seems every time there is something new out there it seems to work very well to get me started on the right track.

We were very lucky and sold our 2003 Ford Focus on Sunday. The couple came over this morning with a cashier's check and would you believe they brought over three boxes of Ceretta's Chocolate candy. I'm not sure it is sold anywhere else except in Phoenix. I have opted not to open it and I will take all three boxes back home in October. I believe that's the best way to handle the situation. They also brought a chocolate red rose just for me. This has been quite the day! I am truly excited we sold the car because with only one driver in the house it made no sense whatsoever to have two new cars.

I hope everyone is doing well and striving for their individual goals. I am going to go back to the gym tomorrow after having been gone for almost 3 weeks.

Take care,
Anita
Closed Thread