Old 03-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #136  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning all,

Yesterday we took a drive into the bigger town an hour away to check out the home improvement store. DH needs to replace his toilet so we had about 30 models to choose from and narrowed it down to one. We stopped for lunch - he was starving - and much to my surprise he suggested the Chinese Buffet. Last time we were there it was not very good. They must have new owners because the food was delicious. I do make sure I eat as many vegetables as I can get in there - chicken with mushrooms, steamed green beans, broccoli, etc. I had one plate of food and a plate with a spoonful of about 4 desserts most of which I didn't like - the rice pudding had a weird taste and I drank unsweetened ice tea so it was not the calorie bomb it could have been. We were not that hungry for dinner so we just had sandwiches - I had 1/2 a sandwich of deli chicken meat and some fresh berries I bought the other day. I am trying to cut my portions and eat cleaner - I've gained back about 5 pounds over the last 4 months and I'm having a hard time getting it off. I pretty much have to go to 1,000 calories to lose any weight and that's not a lot of food which is tougher during the cold weather when I tend to be hungrier. I am pulling another shift at the thrift shop today to be a nice person and relieve our relief worker who is coming in pretty much 5 shifts a week - several people are out "snowbirding" to warmer climates right now and the other ladies won't work more than their one shift a week. I did spend time yesterday when I got home gathering some things to take into the shop so I'm trying very much to tidy up things at home but it's slow going.

Ceejay - I smiled at your comment about seeing the tall buildings - growing up in Chicago and working downtown I was used to seeing super tall buildings all the time and I guess I take them for granted. It's true that they don't have really tall stuff down south - I was nervous working on the 10th floor of our office in Memphis - I always thought about earthquakes As far as deferring Medicare - that's always an option, depends on what's cost effective for you. Just make sure if you pass on Medicare right now that you do it the correct way because you can get penalized or maybe they can refuse you later on if you don't do things the right way at the time of your birthday. We were fortunate that at the time we were fact finding on what to do, many seminars on Medicare were available around town - both from the senior center and private insurance companies (October is general enrollment). And yes, we got bombarded with 3 grocery bags worth of brochures too - in fact we are still getting them in the mail. Sounds like you are doing well handling your finances. Stick with what works for you. We had paid 2 financial advisors and are doing much better with DH making the investment decisions. I agree with the not putting all eggs in one basket - you need to diversify a little because the market affects things like stocks, bonds, annuities differently. Just sometimes a lot to keep track of. As far as Zumba goes, even in my little town (pop 2600) we have Zumba although I think it's a trend that is losing it's popularity. You can always try it out on You Tube or they have a ton of DVDs. I know Michelle really liked it, I did not.

Just got a phone call I have to take. I will be back later this evening to catch up with the rest of you.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #137  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Thursday!

Santa and I had a good time at the dog park yesterday. We took my friend's dog with us. Then it was home for dinner and a relaxing evening.

I'm looking forward to seeing the play "M. Butterfly" tonight with my friends. This same theater company has West Side Story coming up in July/August...I really want to see that show!

I may go to the gym before the play. I've been slacking off for several days (except for my walk on Tuesday). I need to do some cardio and strength training on my legs.

Tomorrow it's up early to work with my trainer doing arm, chest and back strength training.

==========================
Shad - Thanks for the kind words. I still want to lose 30-40 more pounds, and I expect it will come of slower the closer I get to goal. Insurance is frustrating. If you dont' use it, they raise your rates. If you do use it, they raise your rates more. Still, I'm happy with my insurance. They paid for a very expensive surgery that has improved my life immeasurably...and I want to keep the insurance because I've got post-op follow up appointments coming up at 6 months and one year.

Ceejay - Glad you got home ok and it wasn't raining for your drive. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Dallas and Houston! Zumba is fun and you might like it. Since you live in a fairly small town maybe you could start with a Zumba DVD to try at home? I'll see if I can find a beginning Zumba DVD among my workout dvds. If you look on your own, I would suggest either Zumba Gold or Zumba basics. I can understand your sister and bil being concerned about your finances for retirement. They are concerned for you. But you're right, the details are none of their business. I need to learn more about Suze Orman's advice.

Susie - Good for you for getting his expense report done. So nice of you to help your co-worker find a new position! I'm glad the cortisone shot is helping your knee. I hope the the other shots work as well or even better so you can get the gel shot. I'll keep you in my prayers for your derm appointment tomorrow.

Laura - Normally I don't have asthma attacks even when doing cardio. There was just some pollen or something blowing around that really shut down my lungs. Glad there was no rubber flooring for the yogalities class. I'm not a fan of networking events either. I'm sure you look fine though. I'm a little worried about my wardrobe for tonight. I know most people at least wear business casual (or dressier) when attending live theater...but the only pants I have that fit are jeans (since I can wear them to work - why buy two pairs of pants I can only wear for a month or two. I'm not about to buy new clothes if I don't need them. So jeans and a nice top will have to suffice for tonight regardless of what my friends are wearing.

Happy - Glad you enjoyed the Chinese buffet. Sounds like with all the "snowbirds" having flown south, you and the relief worker are doing the lion's share of the shifts. Don't overdo it, girlfriend.

Well, gotta get back to it.

Much love to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #138  
Creating a Healthier Me

Just got laid off at work. The company is in real financial trouble and they can't afford a full time in house webmaster. So my to do list now looks like:

1. Apply for Unemployment
2. Update resume and get it on the job boards.

I'm not surprised by the layoff....I mean they did cut back some employees' hours including my own to cut costs. And they aren't getting the revenue they'd hoped for.

I'll be ok.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #139  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi girls, I'm sorry I've been MIA since Monday. I've been working 10 hour days all week to get my clients into their home. Tomorrow I'll get all their window treatments installed & I'm finished. When their home is ready to move into, there will b a openhouse for all the contractors to celebrate.

I'll b back Saturday for personals. R is going to Milwaukee w our Ds1 @ 5pm Friday for the weekend to help get his home finished to b sold. Ds1 moved back to Michigan w his job transfer 2 weeks ago & is staying w a friend & can't buy another home until his home is sold. He's looking for a apartment until then. I hate the long drive to Milwaukee just for the weekend, so I'm staying home alone w our 3 doggies. It's the first time I'll b home alone since R was in the hospital 4 yrs ago when his cancer returned & metastasized & I don't know how I can fall asleep without snuggling w him. Maybe I'll set the doggie beds in my bedroom @ night, but they do snore sometimes & they talk when they have dreams.... Maybe I'll try to stay awake all night & take a nap in the daytime ?

Tuesday after R had gone to work the electric went out & it was in the 30*s. I had my mamo/US appt. & I had to use all my strength to pull the emergency cord down, to open the automatic garage door & get my car out to leave. I was happy that when I got home our electric was back on. I hope nothing bad happens, so w all the car wrecks caused from deer/turkey, I'm not going to risk that happening & I'll stay home & start my spring cleaning on my b-day, the first day of spring. It's supposed to b cold in Michigan this weekend back in the mid 30*s again

Have a wonderful Friday everyone

Last edited by miniDoodles; 03-19-2015 at 11:58 PM.
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #140  

Height: 5'7"

Michelle: I am sorry that you just got laid off. I am sure that you will be ok..because you are a survivor but still...it's not fun at all. You will be in my prayers and thanks for keeping me in yours about my derm appt.

Dee: I'm sorry that you will have to sleep without DH for a bit. I would feel the same way with my DH gone. What day is your birthday?

Ceejay: It's nice that your sister is concerned about you, but I don't think I would like them asking about my finances. It sounds like you handled it well.

Laura: I was looking at my spring clothes and shoes and I feel that I have some shopping to do. But before that, I'll go though what I have and if I don't like it...it's gone. Life is too short to not like what we are wearing...it should make us feel fantastic!

Happy: The Chinese buffet sounds yummy. I'm glad to hear that you found it better this time. I am usually hungrier when it is cold outside.

I need to head to bed. DH was up watching the basketball games..but I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

See you all later.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #141  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

TGIF Ladies....

Yesterday was a fiasco! 4 explosions in the downtown area (4 blocks) from my place of employment. They were undergroud and it blew the manhole covers up in the air, thank God no one was hurt. There were underground fires also. All power was out, including the parking garage, which I just went the opposite direction and went out the entrance. Anyway got to go home with pay yesterday and did not have to use PTO.

My cousin from Michigan is coming to town this weekend, so I suppose I will be out of pocket all weekend. My aunt is coming also. It should be a great weekend.

I will come back for personals.

CHELLE...sorry to hear of your lay off. Good things come from bad happenings, we have all learned that in the past. I will be praying for you.

SUSIE...I will also keep you in my prayers for you doc appt.

Have to get busy, will try to come back later for the rest of the personals. Can't promise anything.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #142  
Hi, I'm Danielle!

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Happy Friday Ladies! How are you all? Thank goodness for the weekend, huh? I am sorry I kind of went MIA for a bit this week - it wasn't my plan and I will be taking the time to do some personals today/tonight but I did want to do a little bit of an update and talk, too.

On wednesday I was typing up a post for you all.. I had an awful night on Tuesday night and wanted to share with you guys, and was so busy at work I couldn't type anything up... so I was going to finish it all up for you wednesday night at home, but then of course that night was even worse! (Nothing to do with my dieting, eating or anything.. more emotionally) and I think it just kind of was meant to be that I didn't post the post I was going to because it was probably too much detail for all of you anyways, I probably would've bored you.

I want to get into the good stuff first. Wednesday morning was my first official weigh in from weight watchers.. I signed up in the afternoon Tuesday the 10th, when I weighed myself on that day I was 208.. but of course it was in the afternoon so we all know how off our weight can be at that point. Anyways, it throws things off a bit for me with my signature/ticker. So last Wednesday morning I was 207lbs exactly, so all throughout the week I was losing which is fantastic, besides the one day I was up .2lbs haha, on wednesday morning I weighed in at 199.4lbs which adds up to 8lbs or nearly 8lbs lost, now I am down 9lbs, but again I can't get my hopes too high because I have to wait til next wednesday! hehe, but I know no matter what I will have a loss, just probably not nearly as big as my first weeks. I am very happy with the loss but I am kind of nervous because of the fact that I am prob. going to be expecting so much more next week, but I'll definitely stick with it no matter what. I didn't celebrate and be as happy as I wanted to be because of what was going on in my life other than that... but it's alright, I'm still proud of myself.

Of course like us all we have been back and forth, we try one exercise/weight loss/dieting program and it doesn't end up working out or we lose motivation and we step away from it, etc, but the thing that is different with me for this try is that I actually find myself saying "When I am maintaining," or "When I am at my goal weight," which makes me really feel like I am officially going to do it for real this time.. it is going to happen because I am going to make it happen, I need to do it for myself because I deserve it, WE all deserve to get our goals, we all deserve to do what we want and to live a healthier lifestyle. I am so sick of my weight holding me back from doing all of the things I want to do but feel too insecure or too uncomfortable doing. Who cares what other people think when they see me go sledding down a huge snow pile! I am going to live my life.. and you can't stop me. :P

Last night I went to the gym to the workout class that I enjoy... the step and kickboxing class. I love it so much! I always feel so great afterwards but the hardest part for me is just GETTING there... I would much rather go home. (who wouldn't?) The workout totally kicked my butt, and I was expecting my legs to hurt me a lot more than they do right now.. maybe tomorrow - although I guess I have to be careful about what I wish for :P Things I hate about the class.. just the class in general I hate watching myself look like a fool in the mirrors, uck. Also this class is step and kickboxing but the woman does an abs class as well, so every time we start the class she asks if people want to do abs and most of the class is like no! and then theres like 3 - 5 people who are like YES and then of course we end up doing it, and I'd much rather do more kickboxing or stepping because I am not at that point in my journey yet. (I had heard from a girl at my work that if I do ab exercises then I build muscle behind my fat and it pushes my fat out more.. who wants that? Is that true? Anyone know?) Anyways - so when she started the ab stuff after we already cooled off and whatever we went and actually sat in the sauna, which I had never done before.. it was truly amazing and I want to make it a ritual even if I have to go alone in it just for 10minutes, it made me feel so fantastic after, have you guys ever tried that after a workout?

At my work the medical assistants have to rotate between our 2 offices... we do 2 weeks in the danvers office each so it ends up working out that I'm in danvers for 2 weeks and then 4 weeks in our beverly office. I used to always be in the Danvers office and then things got changed and we now rotate. Anyways - in the danvers office right up the street is a place called Bagel world, where they make homemade bagels (lots of kinds) and you can have sandwiches with them... my favorite is the turkey, roast beef & cheese with light mayo and lettuce and tomatoes on a vegetable bagel. Wednesday night I didn't eat dinner because I was so upset, so I knew I had lots of points left over from Wednesday - so I decided I was going to treat myself, along with the work out after work I knew I'd be safe, plus a light dinner, as well. The hard thing is I felt like I couldn't really track it with weight watchers so I was just going to skip tracking all together but then when I got home from the gym I decided to kind of do like an estimate, so I did... I used the highest points for everything that I was in the bagel sandwich and it wasn't even that bad. With my dinner and everything I had for the day I had 6 pts left over! So I ended up having a little 2pt icecream still -- YAY! * Do a little dance!!! hehe I am enjoying this tracking thing because it is definitely giving me something to focus on, you know? P.S I got 10 extra points for my activity at the gym but I haven't touched them just like I also haven't touched my 49 weekly plus points they give you. OH! But I do want to add that I did extremely horrible with my water intake yesterday.. but today is a new day!

I'm sorry that this was so long, I still have a ton I want to post, too! o.O I hope that all is well!

Last edited by Savemykissesx; 03-20-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Savemykissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #143  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

Spring has arrived. Birds are singing even though it is cool and overcast outside and I'm sure Mother Nature has at least one good snowstorm left in her BUT ... we are at the time of year when things will turn around more quickly. I'm looking forward to it.

First of all I have to say that I am very sorry about the job Michelle. How is this going to affect your insurance and post operative care? Will you do COBRA? Most health care people take most insurances so hopefully you won't have to change anything of significance. And being where you are now, I'm sure there are (or I would hope) that there are more jobs available to you. Not so sure you will luck out with the short commute again, but keep hope alive. Good luck to you! Whatever happens, I hope you can stay strong and not let this blip affect your emotions too hard. I'm sure that part of your success is all the work that you have been doing with the trainer - I hope you can find a way to continue that, perhaps under the circumstances she would be willing to work out some sort of arrangement. Have you considered thrift shops or Good Will for supplementing some transitional clothing right now? Some places have really nice stuff for just a couple of bucks - you just have to find a higher end place. I WISH I had some size 10s to send you

Danielle - I always wished my Mom had named me Danielle Congratulations on your loss so far. It sounds as if you have the right mindset for weight loss right now. Many people said losing the weight was easy but they struggled with maintaining the loss - if you get into good habits like tracking and making good choices now, not only will you get to goal, but you will have an easier time staying there. Michelle is a testament right now about how much more energy you can get as the weight comes off. I think my downfall is I look at what I'm giving up, not what I am "gaining" by making different choices. Negative thinking! Try not to look in the mirrors at the gym when you are working out if you don't like your reflection. I think the same thing - look at that blob but then I refocus on just doing the best that I possibly can in class and push away the negative thoughts. I always say 60 or 30 or 20 minutes of something is better than 60 minutes of NOTHING. You are in class - that is important. As to your question about the abs and fat - what I heard was that if you have some belly fat, it might take longer to see the definition of a "six pack" on your abs - never heard that building a stronger core will push your abdomen out farther and make you look heavier, so banish that thought. I guess I might be inclined to talk to the kickboxing teacher before or after class regarding the abs work, if you feel it is taking away from the time you'd be doing the aerobic step or kickboxing. It just might be that she feels the ab work is strengthening the core and that's part of the kickboxing development. Then again, sometimes it's time to find a different class if our needs don't mesh with the instructor. That's why I had to change my yoga class. Sorry you are having a tough time emotionally too. Sometimes I will write my feelings down to get everything "off my chest" and then I delete the document. It helps me to cool down and sort out my feelings.

Annie - good heavens - what happened downtown yesterday? Gas leak with all those explosions? That's scary. Have a wonderful time with the rellies this weekend - hope you have good weather or just fun times to sit around and enjoy each others company.

I guess today would be your birthday Dee so What a bummer that the family will be away this weekend but sometimes business interferes with life plans. Instead take a restful "girls" day or two in between all you are doing for your clients and at least get a massage or pedicure or take a nice bubble bath. Glad your power came back on - the winter is the worst time to lose electricity I think.

Susie - what kind of spring shoes do you like? Sandals, colors? I would be a bit miffed on the director using cash for payment instead of the credit card - unless there was a good reason to do so. I'm sure if HE had to do his own expense report he'd change his ways, but if you do it for him, he feels no pain, right? How nice the person you helped out sent you flowers. Even nicer that someone acknowledged the help - I'm sure she was most grateful for the help and that's what it's all about today - tough going doing it on your own - a word through the network can do wonders. Thanks for explaining about the knee - that makes sense to wait a bit longer. I was just looking at an article from the Cleveland Clinic - they are coming up with new alternative methods including a super hot needle type thing that blocks the nerve pain receptors and seems to be quite successful. Sending you continued good thoughts for your dermatology appointment Have fun bike shopping.

Shad - I hope you are home for the weekend and getting a bit of rest. Probably not as there is much to do on your short trip at home but at least dealing with weeds HAS to be easier than dealing with consultants

Laura - maybe you need to have a wardrobe consulation with Shad. When she came to visit I was amazed at her tiny suitcase but her style allowed her to take several pieces and mix and match them into many looks. I agree that we feel better when we like how we look. That's why I was never quite a fan of jeans to work. I had mostly black pants with a pair of dark green, brown and navy to switch off. Sweaters or knit jackets and basic tops, mostly in white. My accents were either pin jewelry or scarves. I'd always get a few new pieces when the seasons changed just to switch up the look as I hate wearing the same things all the time. Sounds like you need a shopping trip - too bad you hate shopping There's always online unless you have a hard time with a fit and need to try things on. I hope your networking event went ok - I found those things PAINFUL to attend. Ugh.

Hi Terra and Ceejay

I guess I need to get off my duff and finish going through the papers I messed up all over the living room. DH and I are going to a blues (music) performance tonight at our local live theater. I am no fan but I will sit, smile and tolerate it because I am a good wife. I remind him I will do this for him even though he would not extend the same courtesy of taking me to see Barry Manilow. Have a good weekend everyone and again, Happy Birthday Dee.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #144  
Choose your hard

Annie - how is your son doing after his surgery?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #145  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi all,

Super quick check in as I should be working on updated another resume. I got the "Programmer" one done yesterday...now I have to do the website content management/writing one done. Then I have to create my online portfolio of the sites I've worked on. Apply to jobs. Purchase new interview clothes since my old one interview clothes don't fit. (going to check out thrift stores). And somewhere this weekend, do some freelance work (for income) and my taxes (hopefully I'll get a good refund).

I'm a little down...but I can't let it get to me. I've got a lot to do...no time for the blues.

I had a great workout session with my trainer (I prepaid for sessions...might as well use them up). She was very kind and supportive about my job situation. I am really blessed to be surrounded by supportive people.

My cousin whose wife just had bariatric surgery on Tuesday contacted me when his wife (who is on FB) told him about the lay off. He emailed me lots of contacts for various companies. The attachments he sent over have a weird file name...so I'll have to figure out how to open them. He also sent me info about another job site called The Ladders. And we talked at length on the phone about the ways he expedited his job search when he was laid off last year.

A recruiter has already called me and wants to submit me for a 6 month contract at LinkedIn.com. The money is good enough that I'd be able to put a little away for any between job time, and also cover insurance.

Speaking of insurance, my company is giving me two weeks severance pay (since I was only there a little over a year). Not much, but better than nothing. Normally, when one is terminated, the insurance lasts through through the end of the month, but my company is covering the cost of 1 month of COBRA (which is darn expensive) - so essentially I have insurance through the end of April. Thankfully, I don't need much post-op care at this point. I've got a 6 month check up and a 1 year checkup. I would definitely like to stay with my current insurance plan and doctor/hospital network, but if I can't...that's the breaks.

I am seeing the doctor about my shoulder which even after several months has not gotten any better and is affecting my sleep and hurts off and on during the day.

I had a really good time at the play "M. Butterfly" that I went to with some friends. The acting was really, really good as was the story.

Well, back to the resume stuff.

Much love and much gratitude for all your caring and support,
Old 03-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #146  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Birthday, Dee!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #147  

Afternoon all. TGIF!!

Ceejay – So glad you enjoyed your time in Houston. I’m amongst all the tall buildings daily, but yesterday I was at a symposium on the 66th floor of Sears/Willis Tower and the room had a great view facing north, so we could see both the lake and the city views to the north and NW. I agree with the others – no need to share your finances with anyone. And I also agree – don’t keep all your eggs in one basket!! I watch the Suze Orman show regularly, and I also listen to a podcast of another woman who discusses personal finance. I hope you can find a Zumba or another dance workout you want to try.

Happy – Must be hard staffing the shop at this time of year with all the snowbirds. For paid employees, it’s one thing to say one of your job requirements is to work extra hours to fill in at certain times and offer OT pay. Unpaid volunteers…what can you do? You’re nice to take on the extra shifts. I’m glad you warned Ceejay about the potential issue with not applying for Medicare right when you turn 65 – I don’t know the particulars, but I’ve heard the warnings. I don’t even know what employers do with one's medical insurance when an employee becomes Medicare eligible – do they still get to stay in the company-sponsored plan? What if the employee share they pay in the company plan is more than they’d pay for a Medicare supplement? You’d think they'd opt for Medicare…guess I don’t have to worry about that right now. Enjoy the blues music tonight.

Susie – Good idea to go through your clothes before buying more - less guilt from buying more if you've gotten rid of those items that have had a full/overfull life. I have a tendency to not want to toss anything mid-season (strange, huh?), but maybe an early start before (okay, at the beginning of) spring will help me.

Michelle – I’m so sorry to hear about your layoff! Thank goodness your surgery was over and done with. You’ve got great skills & experience and have gone through this before - I’ve no doubt you’ll be employed again very soon!! Nice you have pre-paid training sessions still left. Glad you have insurance for a while longer before you have to take on the hefty COBRA payments. Nice of your cousin’s hub to send you the contacts… I’m sure you’ll figure out how to get into the file. Oh, bummer about the shoulder – I hope the doc has some other ideas for treating it. I think we did a pose called reverse table or something in yogalaties the other night and my shoulders don’t like that at all (they didn’t like it when I did it while using my Method pilates dvd either, duh)– I need to avoid that one altogether, having had rotator cuff issues in the past. Glad you enjoyed M. Butterfly.

Dee – I’m sure you’ll be fine by yourself over the weekend. Try to enjoy all that extra “me time” you’ll have. What a PITA with getting the garage door open without electricity. Grrrr. Enjoy your birthday – will you celebrate it when your hubby’s back in town?

Annie – What caused the explosions – sewer gas, or gas lines? Gosh, scary, glad no one was hurt! Have a good time with your cousin and aunt this weekend!

Danielle – Congrats on the great weight loss!!! Keep it up girl! : Good for you not to put life "on hold" until you get to your goal weight – if you can physically do it, do it now, when you want to!! Re the ab work – you need to have a strong core to be able to do your daily activities and help with your balance. And you want to develop muscle because that will help increase your metabolism. I haven’t heard about muscle pushing the fat out…when you burn calories doing exercise and cut calories in your diet you’ll lose weight, including fat, and fat takes up more space than muscle, so work on both. That’s why I like the interval- and circuit-type classes because it works the muscles and gets the heart rate up as well. Yes, I’ve gone into the sauna for a few minutes after a workout and it does feel so good. Ahhh. However, I’m almost always wearing contact lenses and I always think the heat is too intense for them and I’ll dry out my contacts, so I probably never sat in there more than a few minutes. But for you, that’s a good way to keep yourself motivated to workout – think of how good you feel after you did the exercise, and then you get to treat yourself to the sauna!! PS – I hate the mirrors too, but it’s good to be able to see that your form is correct. PSS – I agree with Happy, and I know personally that a strong core really helps with the kickboxing.

~~
So glad it’s Friday. Yesterday morning was busy with a hot project we have going on right now at work, and a meeting to boot. Then it was the symposium, with lunch followed by sessions until 4:30. For the most part, it was worthwhile to attend, and thankfully there wasn’t much time to network between sessions, and even better, I ended up sitting next to someone I’d already met (and like). By the end of the afternoon though, I had a headache (thanks TOM), and knowing I definitely wasn’t going to attend the networking event following the symposium, I headed back to the office to take some ibuprofen. I checked e-mails and then headed home.

I didn’t do much after work – besides the headache, I felt weak in the legs and didn’t want to do much of anything.

I woke up around 4 am this morning with another headache and took more ibuprofen.

Today was more work on the hot project, and yet another headache. Bleh. This time it was the weird “back of the skull” pain, so I took the excedrin migraine stuff and by now the pain’s pretty much gone. I’ll be glad to get out of here when the workday ends.

No plans whatsoever this weekend. I’m feeling very slacker-ish…not considering a workout tonight or even one tomorrow…shame on me. I better go and buy that punchcard so I’ll be motivated to not waste the $$’s, LOL.

Despite the desire to slack off this weekend, I do need to get some cleaning done around the house. I also need to do some grocery shopping. I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t bring a lunch from home even one day this past week. Not that all my lunches out were terrible – I had a load of salad and veggies at the symposium lunch yesterday – but I definitely do better bringing lunch from home.

I think that’s about it for me, so I’ll get this posted. Have a great weekend everyone!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #148  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Home and catching up on sleep and chores. Fortunately the grass is not growing as fast anymore and there are other things that need doing anyway. I have my list - growing by the day.

Annie - I hope that the DS is recovering and gets his mojo back in action shortly. What happened with the underground explosions. I haven't seen the news in days so if it was reported here I haven't seen it.

Michelle - so sorry about the job situations. As if it wasn't hard enough already. However I am sure you will find something and meantime maybe you can build up your website business somewhat. Always good to have Plan B. Can't comment on your health insurance since I am about to ditch mine for having put up the price yet again and yet again I have not had to use it. Can't I get a discount for good behaviour and clean living????

Laura - Happy is spot on - my wardrobe tends to be mix and match and usually in black, red and white. However from time to time I do branch out into other colours - mainly either turquoise, blues and greens or as at the moment, khakis with white, black or a pattern containing khaki. But when I go on holiday, like when I was in the States last, I tend to pack only the one colour scheme. After all you are only in one place for a couple of nights and there are laundries everywhere so you don't need large quantities unless you want to build up the shoulder and arm muscles from dragging large suitcases around. The suitcase I have now is much smaller than the one Happy saw.

Susie - it's good that the knee is recovering or the shots are doing the trick. Time to get the weight off - it's one thing you can do to take the stress of the knees and hips. Good idea to think about the wardrobe before spring actually arrives

Danielle - some people get some strange ideas about how the body works. The girls here have given good advice. Abs are the lazy muscles, they need a lot of work but that doesn't push out the fat already there. Generally muscles tighten and tone when they are worked which drags in the fat as well as getting rid of some of it. Good posture helps as well. You should find that as you tone those muscles, you may not lose as much weight, but you will get smaller. Measuring is a good way to check on progress and also how your clothes fit are just as good as the scale sometimes.

Ceejay - seem to have missed some of the family/ wedding posts. The only person who has to deal with your finances is you. You should know or should seek advice from someone qualified to give advice about where your pension is put and how it increases. I've heard from lots of people about what I should do with my money however, being a financially conservative person, I tend to do the traditional - banks, blue chips shares, superannuation account for the general peace of mind of knowing if one goes down, the others will keep me going. My nest egg may not be as big as some around, but at least I have one, unlike some of the people I know who invest big time on the stock market and go down with every crash.

Terra - whats up in the school kitchen this week? Good food?

Dee - if it is your birthday - then happy birthday or maybe I missed it, happy belated birthday. Hope you have a good celebration when R gets back.

Happy - Nice of you to step in and relieve the relieving shift worker. It's good to know that the new shop has brought in extra customers and extra cash. Maybe the way that the old one was set up had something to do with that as well. There are times when you just have to take things down and clean behind the bits and pieces to ensure the place stays clean and fresh. One thing I hate about some of the 2nd hand places here and in NZ is that they smell. It's a dry dusty old smell and I think of some of the places that these things might have been - yuk.
Good on the DH for ensuring your finances are on going and growing. Pity that the saga of the health insurance continues. Guess really, the only one who cares about your continuing good health financially is you, which is why you should really take care of it yourself.

DS2 brought around a long street pole yesterday. He left one in my yard. I have a solar panel powered gate opener and it doesn't like being in the shade of the big Poinciana for much of the day - and then doesn't want to open. So we are going to install this pole beside the tree and put a slightly larger solar panel on top. Shouldn't be very visible from either the house or the road. We will also install a yard light on it to light up the path when someone comes to visit. DS's partner has difficulty seeing the path in the dark. So another thing to do in the yard.
We had a long chat about things as we do from time to time. He is so busy these days. He has bitten off much more than he can chew and this last house is taxing his (phenomenal) strength both physically and mentally. So when he can get to this pole and some other things I need done around the place is debatable and I am not going to push it. I have enough to do without arguing with him.

Okay, I'm off. I've been here longer than intended. I think we are about to get some rain, so that puts off the weeding and poisoning along the fenceline (again) but it doesn't stop the rest of the list being crossed off.

Have a good one
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #149  
Hi, I'm Danielle!

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/130

Height: 5'1

And now onto some personals:

Annie - Thank you for cheering me on with getting my weight controlled, I am going to try my hardest that when I get down to my goal weight that I do not fall back into old habits and regain.. my motivation is my life. I have everything to lose! You can do it, you can lose the weight you want to lose Sassy sounds adorable, I love hotdog dogs One year for our block party my boyfriends brothers friend brought a dauschund named Sparky, it was the cutest and most funny thing ever to see him running around - he was having a blast visiting all the neighbors. I *sometimes* wish I could leave the door open for my dogs but my cats are strictly indoors and it just isn't going to happen! Glad you enjoyed your night grilling and the weather sounded nice. Can't wait for the better weather!

Happy - I am glad I am not that much of a milk drinker because I'd be bummed about putting points in for drinking a glass of milk, haha. I try to not drink ANYTHING that'll be any points because I'd rather EAT points haha. & yeah, I am not slogging pizza and then eating nothing for dinner, so I'm fine I am fine with sugar free stuff thankfully. I haven't been weighing in with friends giving me stern looks, just been weighing in on my own.. although I guess I could have my boyfriend but I feel like I need to be at a much lower weight for me to even want to do that. O.O I'm sorry to hear about your Kundalini yoga class instructor ending the class.. that's a bummer, I hope you find the motivation to work on it at home. I am sorry that you have to deal with all that insurance crap, that's not fair and I totally agree it sucks a LOT when you have to go through automated systems. UGH. Chinese buffet? Omg my absolute favorite food.. in the summer time when we go to our camp we will sometimes stop at the chinese buffet on the way home and it's so yummy but just soooo bad for me because I am such an overeater, ugh. Good for you for doing pretty good with it, though! I can't exactly not look at the mirrors since they're right in my face infront of me, if I am lucky enough someone else will be right infront of me and they can block me but that doesn't happen for the most part, esp because we need to give eachother so much space due to the step, etc. and of course all the kicking we do - haha. I actually didn't feel like I wasn't doing much in the workout I was totally sweating and did a great job but I just hate my fat tummy in the mirror and how I look like a silly girl while others look fine! haha but the instructor actually talked to us before and said to not worry about other people thinking about what you look like because they are more worried about what they themselves look like, so that made me feel better but I know I did a full 45mins of crazy high intensity work out so it made me feel great Unfortunately there aren't many classes I like that they throw that work out with my work schedule ... you know? So I probably wouldn't ever NOT go to the class because of it, it's more because she teaches an ab class and muscle strengthening class too so she does it all and she just includes it as like a full body workout, but it's easier for me to just leave when I don't want to do the exercise since it's at the end anyways haha. I have a journal that I write things in..

Michelle - That was so nice of you to take your friends dog to the dog park and you got to enjoy a nice dinner with her and she also got to give you even some to go! how awesome is that?! I am jealous.. wish I had a friend so close by that was so amazing. I am also hoping Snowy will cut it out when it comes down to Winston, but I do not think it'll ever stop.. it's just her history and she is protective of her space, very territorial, she does it to the other animals they are just bigger than her so it doesn't affect them like it does Winston. They just look at her like "Ok...? and?" How is your boyfriend with Santa? Is he more of a cat person or is he turned into a dog person as well now that you and Santa are around? You got very creative with his name I see, and I love it! I'm sure he appreciated that you didn't make his name change too drastic. I am so sorry to hear about the losses of your Mom, Dad and best friend and more recently your good friend.. how old were you when you lost them? Just wondering... seems like something I am going through right now... Cancer sucks, obviously we all hate it. I am not sure how much I've seriously gained in the last 6+months since my loss but I know that the last time I really looked at the scale I was down to the upper 180's, so I pretty fast got right up to the 200's and that is scary to me... which is why I am trying to get a handle on it now, of course. Emotional eating is the worst -I remember when the first guy I ever loved (my last boyfriend before this one) broke up with me and I was devastated, I actually LOST weight, so I always thought I wasn't an emotional eater, and maybe I'm not. I think with what is going on now its just that I don't care what I am eating or how much I am eating, you know? if that makes sense? It's not that I am so sad I grab food it's just that I want to find happiness in the food and eat something SO delicious which usually ends up being easy things like ordering pizza, or chinese food, or whatever it is I am craving/wanting. I wish you luck on sticking to your good way of eating and not being an emotional eater in this time. *hug* I really enjoyed seeing your progress pictures, great work! I hope you enjoyed your play - I love theatre like that, it's so fun! Did you end up going to the gym before? and omg about being laid off - hugs & I wish you luck finding a new job and hope that its an easy transition for you.

Terra - Thank you for the welcome.. is this in the 300+ chat thread? I didn't think it was, but I've never weighed that much so maybe I'm in the wrong place? Was just looking to make some friendships and of course you ladies have all been wonderful. I am definitely liking it here. Looking forward to getting to know you as well.

Laura - I always feel so out of breath and out of shape when I try to ride a bike, and then I start to think that it's just the gears because I am so young and I didn't at that point feel THAT fat to be THAT out of shape, but I guess you could be skinny and be having a hard time riding a bike, I give you major props for enjoying your bike riding! way to go! The icecream I was talking about having is the weight watcher low point ones, I like to have like a 2pt one or a 4pt one at night if I have extra points.. I know you don't want to eat TOO little of your points so sometimes I feel like I need to be a little closer to my goal and that is when I give myself a treat. It's mostly because I haven't figured out the proper balance just yet as far as how many points to have for breakfast, how many to have for lunch... so then I end up having a ton for dinner, lol. Salads are basically zero so it doesn't add up for me too much! I hear you right there, when I was just simply trying to eat healthier and eat better I would still fail because I stink with bringing my own lunch to work and of course prepping to make sure I eat more meals at home, too. But I am getting better with this now atleast with weight watchers because I can't figure out points for things I don't make myself so it's easier for me to just bring something from home, make something at home.. atleast for now. I can't wait for the nicer weather so I can take the dogs for more walks and make it more of a habit, I am even a bit more motivated now to walk my dogs more now that it's lighter out for longer at night. I would LOVE a fitbit friend, I have a few now and I do some little challenges with them.. how many steps a day do you usually do? my email is [email protected] please add me! if not I can add you if you want! Let me know I'm also really glad I talked someone out of getting the bunny for their kiddos as a gift/pet.. I just know it would've ended up being a bunny that would've been looking for a new home and would've been traumatized. I am not coordinated at all! so with Zumba, and step/kick boxing I am not 100% with it.. theres a lot of the times I'm standing there trying to watch the instructor and am just completely clueless. I am going to start going to the gym no matter what now.. I really like that class and am contemplating trying a bootcamp class that is at 5:45am.. just not sure if I can handle it as I am just not a morning person - but it might make me feel so good! haha. I'm glad you're back where you are happy at the recplex. I'll have you know I did go to my class last night! How was the movie Cinderella? I want to see it! I agree with needing to

Shad - thank you! I hope you're finding some time for yourself in all your busy work-life. I did go to my class and had a fantastic time, my buddy came with me though! I think it's just so much more motivating when you have someone going with you, of course, but yes I am doing this for me and I am going to go with or without her more. Part of it is me being unmotivated and now that I am focusing more on eating better I should also be getting my motivation back to exercise more, too.

Susie - Thank you for your words of encouragement as well. How nice was that, what a wonderful surprise with those flowers Good luck with your appointments!

Of course Hellos to all the other ladies out there! <3
Savemykissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #150  

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I am so happy that it is the 1st day of spring. It was cool here in Ohio but the air feels different and I can feel the earth renewing.

Thank you for all the well-wishes, positive thoughts and prayers for my appointment today. They said nothing looked suspicious, and used liquid nitro to "freeze" some of the spots. I also have a cream to use for the next 3 weeks and then will go back for a re-check in 3 weeks. I was glad to hear that nothing looked suspicious----being so fair and freckles, and with my blue eyes and red hair and having sunburns as a child, I check everything that pops up on my skin.

After the appointment , DH and I went out for brunch and then to Sears where I purchased a NordicTrack recumbent bike. It will be delivered April 2! I am pretty excited! I am using the treadmill for 10 min in the morning and 10 min in the evening to keep my "walks" short like the Ortho said but when I get the bike I can get a proper 30-45 min aerobic exercise in!

I don't think I mentioned that when I went to PT on Thursday, the did my measurement to see how my hip is coming along and I passed on strength and range of motion. I have doubled it from when I started. I am still a bit behind on core strength so I have some new exercises for that that we tried and I will do for 4 weeks there and then most likely be released from PT.

My therapist is just amazing. She knows that sometimes traditional sit-ups and crunches can flare up the IC, so in addition to the ball exercises I am already doing (where I sit on a ball, and lift alternately lift one leg and then the other (think slow marching). 15 times each for 3 sets and then do the same thing with a low kick. In order to not have that ball roll around when you are doing this you must engage your core and have good posture (like Shad mentioned in her post about strengthen the core).

The therapist also gave me 3 other exercises to, one that includes a modified plank, the other is stability ball lower trunk rotations, abdominal draw in-alternating upper and lower extremity lifts and leg circles with belly button pulled up and in and legs out 45 degree, raise top leg up so hip level, then draw circle clockwise with your heel and then counter clockwise--two sets of 10 to start.

At TOPS last night I had a small loss but a loss is a loss and in the right direction so I will take it! We had a good topic about setting Smart Goals. The thing I got out of it was to say/think, "I will" not "I want". I will has action to it. I always so I want..so I will now switch to I will.

My first I will is: I will lose 15 lbs by my 50th birthday (in 12 weeks)

Now for personals:

Dee: Wishing you a birthday that is as special as you are.

Terra: How is the bus schedule working out?

Annie: I didn't hear about the explosions. I am glad that you were safe and how nice to have a paid day off! Have a great weekend with your visitors.

Shad: I saw your post on FB that you must new some new clothes because you have some coat hangers left over....I LOVED it! I hope you have a weekend where you get things done and also get some rest.

I know what it is like to work those long days and then you look around and see that you have a lot to do around the house because all you have been doing is working (my office looks like a war zone at the moment!)

Happy: I like sandals for spring and summer, also some cute flats to wear with no socks. I have been looking at some shoes from the Jessica London catalogue as they have wide widths available and also on line at DSW. I usually by in bulk and they last me about 3 years. I buy them for work, church/and other places I dress up to go, and then for casual. I'll buy 2 black, 2 white and 2 brown for each of those categories. I like to have choices! I get flats, wedges and something with a low heal.

Danielle: Congratulations on seeing those scales go down. It's good to keep yourself motivated with workouts and your WW meetings. Those are your "tools".

Kickboxing is quiet a workout for sure and I think it would give you a lot of core work. When you are doing the kicks and punches thing about keeping your core tight by thinking about your belly button to your spine and pulled up.

One thing I have learned from PT. When you do a movement in good form and at a controlled rate of movement you get more out of it and work the appropriate muscles. It makes a big difference.

I saw you said that your write in a journal. I do too..off and on..and I have found that I do best in my weight-loss effort when I journal.

You asked if this thread was in the 300+ 3 fat chicks sub group and it is not. It is in the support group sub group.

Laura: Did you go get your punch card? What will you shop for to take for lunch? I didn't take my lunch much last week as there were a lot of meetings with food. I am back to packing lunch this week.

Ceejay: Any luck finding a zumba class or a dance type workout class? When I did zumba I loved it..it didn't feel like a workout because it was like dancing to me and I love to dance. Don't get me wrong..I sweated and got a good workout but it was fun and the time went fast!

Michelle: Glad to hear that you got two weeks of pay and that you have insurance until the end of April that you don't have to pay for. Also it sounds as if you have things churning on getting back out there to look for a job. It's nice that you also have some free-lance work. and prayers that you find the right thing for you soon
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote