Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: From the list below, which salad dressing would you pick if only given these choices?
Caesar 4 12.90%
Ranch 5 16.13%
French 1 3.23%
Thousand Island 0 0%
Blue Cheese 9 29.03%
Italian 1 3.23%
Vinegarette 4 12.90%
Honey Mustard 2 6.45%
Creamy Garlic 2 6.45%
Oil &/or Vinegar 3 9.68%
None, I'd eat it plain 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #76  
Little Engine That Could

Pancho--I have a regular Cuisinart that I?ve had for years. Got it when food processors were all the rage. I like it better than a blender because it mixes more and also grates, slices, etc. If I want to have things cut perfectly, then I use a knife. But for soups and things that don't matter if they are perfect, a food processor is really good, especially when doing a lot. The "texture" of the smoothie or shake is different in a food processor than in a blender. Things definitely get smoother. In fact, it fluffs everything up so there is a lot of air in my protein shakes. They are almost foamy. It's like I?m drinking a big glass of smooth thick flavored foam. If you keep your eyes out, maybe you can find one at a good price at Walmart or similar store.

My DD had dinner with us again. She has a lot of "bad" stuff in her fridge that she doesn't know what to do with. She had a half-gallon of really good ice cream and she hates to throw it out. I told her to take it to her office. She also has a week's worth of Lean Cuisines, so she'll have a few days before getting on track. I hope she finds success.

I did really well on the French exam this afternoon at the University. They gave me two parts. One was all reading and filling in the blanks with the best answer. There were multiple choice answers and I filled in a scantron sheet. They checked it right away, and I made a good enough score to be allowed to take the listening part of the exam. I knew I'd "fail" that part because I never had a language lab--I just studied from a book. In fact, most of it I didn't understand. I'd catch a word or two, and that would be how I'd guess at the right answer. Amazing--I got a high enough score to pass that, too. So I am proficient enough to have 1 year of French under my belt. I can take classes starting at the 2000 level. I hope to sign up this week for the fall semester.

Did well on my eating today. And also got in some unexpected exercise. We got to walk after dinner and did 1.5 miles. Not as much as usual, but enough. I had ratatouille for lunch, along with spinach and steamed shrimp and a little melted butter with lemon. It was good.
Dinner was baked chicken, collard greens, and a tomato and lettuce salad for a first course. I normally buy a baked chicken at Costco or Sams, but they now sell organic, hormone free chickens at Publix, so I bought one because of the better health issue. It was good and moist and tender.

Well, I didn't weigh today. Maybe I'll weigh next Monday. I try to only weigh one day a week and Monday has normally been my day.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #77  

Default Wednesday evening...

Greetings everyone! Its been a busy day! I am rather tired, but wanted to post before I hit the pillow. I forgot to weigh this morning, and when I did step on the scale, I was up two pounds from my low. This is not bad, considering it was after lunch, and I usually weigh in the morning, nekkid! Eating has been ok..not stellar. I had a couple items of whole wheat, but not 100%, bread the last two days. I have not gotten into cake, or cookies, or other no nos though....

I feel bad that I have not been able to post replies for a while. Makes me feel out of the loop or something... I am trying to keep up with reading the posts and will try and get in replies tomorrow afternoon.

Friday, I am off, and meeting TALITHA and Selah for lunch! WOo Hoo! Can't wait! We are going to hit Harry's/Whole Foods too.

Its been raining way too much here the last couple days. There was a sink hole on I-85 that was pretty bad! (Right near Jimmy Carter Blvd, Yellow Rose! ) What a mess! I heard there was some flooding in areas, and my back yard sounds rather marshy when you walk across it. The pool is just mere inches from overflowing!

GATOR: ANA antibodies are anti-nuclear antibodies, or antibodies to the nucleus of your own cells. In other words, you develop antibodies to your self. This is what happens in auto immune diseases, like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Scleraderma, MCTD. It is related to the thyroid in that many thyroid problems are actually caused by auto immune problems. I have not had antibodies to my thyroid found, but it plays in. And yes, it is an ongoing process. Any doctor that gives you T4 (read that Synthroid) and gets you into the 'normal' zone and feels like his work is done, is not very knowledgeable about thyroids! Do make sure you share with your doctor how you are feeling, especially if you are feeling more tired. Your dose may be too low. I took 60mg twice a day when I was on Armour. The conversion from Synthroid to Armour is not a set formula, since we are all different. Hopefully, it will not take long for your new doctor to get it right. I am just so glad you have someone who knows what they are doing! Keep me posted! My hubby got my new T3 prescription filled today, and was floored...the higher dose is 50% more than the last dose I was on! Since it is a special formulation, it is not covered by our insurance...so it is $60 a month, and worth it, if you ask me!

DEB: Now that school is not in session, you should get just as much computer time as your kids. You don't want to let them be selfish! You must be much nicer than me. If my kids tried to take the computer from me for anything other than school, I would make them wait their turn! Yep, I am a meanie! How far is Miami from Naples? We may be there for a few days the first two weeks of July. If its not far, do we need to drive over to Miami for a day or so?

BOB: We are probably going to be in the Sarasota area sometime around the end of the first week of July, or beginning of the second week. Will you be around then?

TEENSY: I am so excited that you are losing! Jealous too! You deserve the loss...you are doing so great! You will be at goal in no time!

FILLISE: Glad VBS is going well! Glad you are feeling better too! Need anything from Hotlanta?

Ok, gotta go to bed.... to all I missed, I am sorry! I just have to get in bed, or I won't make it tomorrow! Know I am appreciative of all the great friends on here, and the wonderful support!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #78  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Thought I could get on the computer tonight-didn't happen Was busy with MICHAEL and his 9 friends who came over to watch movies-running to get soda then out to get pizza.

THEN my father called me only to tell me that my MOM is in the hospital Seems she has a good case of pnemonia I knew she was sick and when she gets sick it usually effects her voice and her lungs, but she gets over it, not this time! So, tomorrow, I'll be keeping her company all day, as my DD has a temp. job to go to tomorrow and my sister and her brood sure can't go there to keep her company (they'd ship my Mom to the physco ward afterwards).

So with that, I don't know when I'll be able to get on here to do a real post and I truly hope you will all understand. I want to get on here in the worst way and it drives me nuts when I can't but it doesn't seem my luck this week is panning out.

Will check in when I can!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Debbie
Old 06-19-2003, 12:32 AM   #79  

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing ok. I have been so busy lately. One more week of school and then on the 30th I start the summer semester.

I don't know if you all have seen all the news about riots in Benton Harbor, Michigan. But where I live, St Joseph, is the twin city of Benton Harbor (connected). It has been really bad the last two nights. Tonight it has been quiet so far. They think in part because of the weather and also the show of police. I hope that it stays that way.

I weighed on Wednesday and still weigh the same. I am going to stay off of the scale for a while. I think that I do better when I am not concentrating so much on the scale.

I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.

Sheanne
Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #80  

Debbie didn't see your post. Hope that your Mom gets well soon.

Sheanne
Old 06-19-2003, 01:28 AM   #81  

Wednesday night-- Evening ladies... hope the scales were good to those of you weighing in. I was down again. So I am at 174 now. HOLY COW, only 4 more to go!! I think I am sweating it all off. It has been pretty warm here and I am still doing most of the yard work. I know when I mowed this morning, the sweat was just pouring off my head. I was even sweating during my lower body work out, and that was 7:30 this morning. I have a lot of strength in my legs, so it usually doesn't make me sweat too bad. I think we may get a storm tonight, because it is really cloudy, and muggy. We usually don't have much humidity. But I was dying today.

My sister and her husband are here visiting from Boise. So I will spend tomorrow over at Mom's. She (my sister) will be staying on til Sunday, but her hubby is leaving tomorrow to meet up with a buddy to go diving with.

Deb-- Sounds like you are still busy as a bee. I don't know what I will do when I have to start sharing my computer. Dh has never even turned one on, and he is saying that he wants me to teach him the basics!! I just want to scream "NOOOO, this is my toy. Find your own. Ha ha!!" Post when you can, and know that we are thinking of you and your Mom. Hope all will be fine soon.

Jack-k-- Sorry to hear the scales were not too nice to you this morning. Sounds like you are getting back on track with the exercise. Next week will be better, I am sure. Thanks for the support Jack-k. I don't think I could have kept on with out all of the support here.

Gator-- That is so cool that you are doing this with your daughter. I so wish I had my best friend closer, so that we could do ours together. She does WW, but it would be so much fun to work out together in the mornings. I think sharing the ups and downs with someone is very supportive. It is nice that you have the clothes that you can give to her for her job. Dressing for corporate can get very expensive.

BOB-- Glad you got the rain. Congrats on the 15 pounds, that is awesome!!

Want-- Hang in there. I didn't lose anything for three or four weeks. Then a couple of pounds every other week or so. Now it is almost every week!! It will happen.

Jenn-- Hello!!

Pancho-- I know what you mean about the critters. We had to put up a six foot fence. We have a lot of white tail deer out here. Right now it is just lettuce, but it sure makes a good salad!!

Heart-- Glad the extra baggage from your camping trip is gone. My little nephew used to do the same things to his older sister. He could be a total terror at times, and then be just the sweetest little boy you ever saw.

Cherylco-- Thanks for the great info-- I don't mind the WW pasta so if it is lower on the GI, I will probably just stick to it. The only problem is that all I can find here is spaghetti noodles. I might use the other in a Minnestrone soup though. Or just break up the noodles?? Awesome job on the loss, you will soon be under that 200 mark, and then some!!

Fillise-- Congrats on the loss!!

Monet -- I just can't thank you enough. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't be here. Or having this much success. You were my push, when I was so frustrated. You are my saving grace!!
Sorry to hear that your Lupus is acting up, but am glad the toe is all better. And we miss you too when you are busy. But you are a working girl now, so we will just have to be more patient!!

Sheanne-- Sounds pretty scary-- hope things will calm down soon!!

Well, that is about all for now. See you all tomorrow sometime.

Last edited by Teensybean; 06-19-2003 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:25 AM   #82  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning

Figured I was up and had a couple minutes before I have to get LAUREN up, or more like yell for her to get up. Have to make her lunch - one thing I hate about camp for her, making lunch. At school I don't have to bother because she usually ate their food-now I have to scurry around to not only find something to make (which she usually complains she doesn't like anyhow).

I'm going to try to get in a shower before I take her so I don't have to come home again, not that we're far from the camp, which is at the community college a straigh shot up the street, about 3-4 miles. I'm going to head straight up to the hospital and just stay there until I have to p/u LAUREN today. She's staying a little extra for a half hour of voice lessons so I'll be putting a full day in at the hospital.

Was suppose to have a board meeting tonight, not sure if I'm going to go, would only stay about a half hour and really don't feel like coming all the way home and then going back all the way out again. Want to be home by 8pm to watch MICHAEL on the telly. Can't remember if I mentioned it or not (brain freeze) but MICHAEL is going to be on PBS this evening at 8pm on a show called NEW FLORIDA. E-mailed those on the board here in the Sunshine State because we were told it would be on in other areas throughout the state, just not sure if it's the same time frame or the right episode. I looked at the PBS site and it didn't list his segment, but maybe they only list the bigger segments, as we were told his was only a 4-5 minute piece. He's not the only one interview, so if you are able to watch, don't blink-we may miss him! I see where tonight it says MR STINKY is part of the line-up, not MICHAEL'S alter-ego, about a local plant that stinks really bad when it blooms once in a blue moon. Anyhow, PBS called here on Monday and said it was airing tonight, and Sat. at 6pm and Sunday at 5pm. So, if you didn't get an e-mail from me, live in FLORIDA, try to watch and if you do get to see the show, please LMK

I hope you don't mind, I haven't had a chance to read the board, much less find the time to respond to all the posts from the beginning of the week. I'll just have to hop on when I can and give you updates throughout the weekend. Here's hoping next week will be better all the way aroun - posting and life in general.

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 06-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #83  

Thursday Morning

Hello everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I really must apologize that I haven't been on the board all week. We've had so many things going on. I taught two evening classes this week and that makes for very little time to do my fun things.

I had a good weigh in Tuesday night at WW. Down 1.2 pounds which puts my total since January to 20.8 pounds. I'm so HAPPY to be over that 20 pound marker.

Hope you all are having a good week. I'll try to check in later. Things will calm down soon, I hope.

Take care! Sorry I can't respond to everyone. I see there are so many new people. Welcome! I hope you are enjoying getting to know everyone here. We've got a great bunch of people here.

Gotta run to work!
Kim
Old 06-19-2003, 08:38 AM   #84  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--Thanks for the info on ANA antibodies. My new doctor had a thyroid antibody test run for me and the numbers were over 90!!!!! Very bad. So, I am beginning to understand this antibody stuff. Your description of a doctor who simply prescribes Synthroid and feels satisfied if the numbers look good is a good pix of my internist. I am feeling a LOT better today. Actually, I have been waiting on some new vitamins to come in--in liquid form, so stopped my others for a week or so. I started them again 2 days ago and feel better already. I weighed this morning and have not lost any weight in the last week, and I have been perfect, plus walking almost 3 miles every day. So I would not be surprised if my dose of Armour gets raised. I feel fine and have never felt generally tired all the time. It seems to be the metabolism issue. I have 6 more weeks until my next blood test.

Well gals, I already got my walking in for the day. I was out the door by 7:15 and did my 3 miles. It is very muggy here today and probably will rain off and on. I will probably study some French to start getting me up to speed for my class. I have to get UF to send my transcripts to UCF so I can finish registering. The class I want to take only has 2 spaces left in it and so I need to get this taken care of so I can get in the class.

Hope everyone has a really good day.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #85  

MORNING EVERY BUDDY!!!

Thought I had better check in...

KIM....HOW'S YOUR MOM?????

MONET....are y'all staying in Sarasota or Venice? I'll definately be around, I got a JURY SUMMONS yesterday in the mail...it's for the
9th of July..In Naples..you're about 1 1/2 hrs from Debbie....

WHERE IS EVERYONE???? I'm beginning to think that EVERYONE has gone to VBS with SUSAN....

BOB
Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #86  

Angry Thursday Morning!

Hey ladies! I am awful cheerful to be at work this morning. Last night I ate tuna salad and ran out of eggs, so this morning I had to order by breakfast from a local coffeehouse. I ate scrambled eggs & cheese with bacon and water. Does any one know of any orange juice with no added sugar? For lunch, I plan to run to the grocery store for some needed items and eat the rest of my tuna salad on toast. We are having dinner tonight with a couple from a local church, they are youth pastors as well and in fact are the youth reps for our district. The man has been called into duty and is being shipped out next week. So we are having dinner with them tonight at a local italian place. Really good grilled chicken salads there!

Deb: Sorry to hear about your mom, hope she feels better soon. My mom had that in January and refused to go to the hospital. SHe had an infection in her lungs (she's a smoker) and she could not smoke anymore could not breath. So, she was forced to quit. The infection lasted like for 2 months. Well just recently I learned she started back up again (will she ever learn) but now she is lying about it. (my Dad spilled the beans, but I swore not to tell) All **** would break lose if she knew he told. Anyway, all I can do is pray for her. I always tell her, I would like for your to someday met my grandchildren! I don't even have children yet.

Well 3 days in a row, lookout I exercised again. I did 3 miles on my nifty tony little machine. Hopefully, I will see some difference in the scale soon.

Okay ladies, I am outta here.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #87  

Hey,

Not good news at the doctor's office yesterday. The xrays showed that there has not been any bone healing since the surgery 4 months ago. He wants to try a device that straps to my shoulder and is suppose to stimilate bone growth. There is a 50 % chance this will work but if it doesn't, they will need to go back in and replate the collarbone and use bone from my hip to help get the bone to get going again. I have 3 to 6 months to let this new therpy work, so, wish me luck out there. In the mean time I am suppose to be very careful not do anything that will stress the plate that is already in place on my collarbone or it might break. There go my plans to play in my garden and help with work around the house. He did say that I could walk but no other exercises. I bet I will find plenty to do once I get over being mad about my situation.

Bye for now.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #88  
Little Engine That Could

Lynn, I know someone who used one of those machines to stimulate their bone growth. It worked, so I hope you have the same good result.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #89  

Good morning all:

I am on borrowed time, as my baby is still asleep, so I'll try to get everything in while I can.

I weighed in this morning at 129.5. I know so many people don't like to weigh every day due to fluctuations, and I used to be the same way, but I now look forward to getting on the scale every morning (thanks to a 22 pound loss in the past 3 1/2 months). It really keeps me on track. I was up to 131 yesterday after having that large Mexican Food meal on Tuesday evening, and now I'm back down to 129.5. The reason I like to do it every day is to nip anything in the bud early. If I see that I am up a bit in the morning, I will only allow myself one starchy carb that day to help me out, and almost certainly by the next morning I'm back down. I'm afraid if I weighed once a week like I used to, too much damage may be done by then. Anyway, that's why I like to do it every day.

Have a busy day planned; lots of errands to run to get prepared for our big trip. Plus, my aunt is flying in Saturday from Texas and will be spending all day with me on Sunday and Monday.

heartmom: Thanks for all the clarification. I was out of shredded wheat one morning and ate some of my daughter's Cheerios (but I had already thrown away the box - it was one of the giant ones from Costco), but I thought the sugar listed was only 1 gram. I am also glad to hear about the Triscuits...they taste the same to me, so I will stick with the reduced fat ones now.

Gatorgal: Thanks for the info. on the food processor; I would have never imagined using a food processor as a blender. I will keep my eye out for one; I don't like icy shakes. Congrats on your exam; what a feeling of accomplishment!!

Debelli: So sorry to hear about your mom; I will pray for a speedy recovery. I will see if we are able to get the PBS show on here so I can see Michael. How exciting for him and you.

Teensy: Great job on the weight loss; keep up the great work!

Kim: Congrats on the weight loss; doesn't it feel so good to shed those awful pounds?

wanttheoldme: Way to stay OP with your eating; it's when you truly commit to this way of eating that you will start to see the losses.

YellowRose: What awful news. So sorry to hear about your dr's visit. I will pray that this device works well for you, and no further work has to be done. God Bless.

Well, I'm on my way out soon. Everyone have a fabulous day!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #90  
Wannabe skinny babe

Default It's Thursday!

Hi everyone,

Not much new with me, really. Still tired as all get-out, and my symptoms come and go. It's hard trying not to worry, but I keep reminding myself whatever will be, will be. (Isn't that a song? )

More car problems - DH's van broke down again. Luckily the car repair place had a rebuilt thingy, so it wasn't as expensive as if we'd had to put in a new thingy. Can we tell I'm technical?

So his van came out of the shop today, and mine went in - but mine was scheduled for service already, so that was an expense we were expecting.

Only a few more days left until I have my first OB appt. Time is flying by! I really hope it's good news this time, since we're going to a baseball game that evening and I want to be happy. And the next day (Weds) I have my finals for my class. So think positive thoughts for me!

Deb - sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's doing better. Of course we understand about you not being able to read and post. Life happens!

ttfn,

Jenn
Closed Thread