Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: From the list below, which salad dressing would you pick if only given these choices?
Caesar 4 12.90%
Ranch 5 16.13%
French 1 3.23%
Thousand Island 0 0%
Blue Cheese 9 29.03%
Italian 1 3.23%
Vinegarette 4 12.90%
Honey Mustard 2 6.45%
Creamy Garlic 2 6.45%
Oil &/or Vinegar 3 9.68%
None, I'd eat it plain 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #46  

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Today is going to be a semi-quiet relaxing day, for once. I am going to take some (6-7 bags) baby clothing to a consignment store around the corner and see what they would be willing to give me for it. It sure adds up quick to clutter. I also plan to exercise at home while my daughter sleeps this afternoon (probably do a Tae-bo tape). My 5-year old has a tumbling class at 4:45 this evening, and then I am taking my dad out to eat for Father's Day (another meal out, yikes).

onmyweigh (I think I will start using OMW too) - No real secrets here; I'm willing to share with anyone. I am totally motivated and committed to this way of eating/way of life/way of feeling fantastic, etc....My mom just told me yesterday how proud of me she is and how well I am doing. She is surprised that I am going to take my dad to a Mexican restaurant and only order the chicken fajitas. I am totally satisfied without the tortillas. I just add sour cream, guacamole and lettuce and tomato to the chicken stips, onion & peppers and it's yummy! Once you start to see those pounds fall off (and buy some smaller clothes), you know you don't want to see the scale go back up. I was at 129.5 this morning, and that makes me sooooo happy! I workout 3-4 times a week. I do the treadmill for 30 minutes (fast walk, not run), and then I work on the machines. I work my upper body one day and then my lower body the next time. I do take some supplements. I take L-Glutamine (which helps with sweet cravings & also repairs your muscles - best to take at night before bed or after a rigorous workout). I also take L-Carnitine (this is supposed to aid in weight loss) and is a natural enzyme that our body loses as we age. I take fish oil, Co-Q-10, multi-vitamin, & calcium. That's it; that's enough isn't it? Ha Ha! I think you can lose the weight before the reunion; you have 5 months. You just have to stay motivated and driven; you can do that! So, you are about 5-7 years older than I am, and that can affect things too. The older you get the slower the metabolism. I have my 20 year reunion coming up in a few years. But, once I got into my 30's things got tougher. It used to be so easy to get into shape if I fell out for a little while. I guess I was outta shape for too long, and just got older in the process. Take care of yourself while you are home with those kids this summer.

Talitha: How cute; Selah got her first tooth. Get ready now...they'll really start coming in. Both of my daughters got their teeth early. My 11-month old has 4 top teeth and 4 bottom teeth and has one of her 1-year molars that has broken through and one trying to come in now. It really changes their looks too. She is so cute; she has all these teeth and very little hair. We call her fuzz-bug since she has just a little fuzz on her head.

Fillise: I hope you got a good night's sleep and are feeling refreshed this morning. I've known so many people to get sick this spring/summer season, and usually that nasty stuff takes a hike during the hotter months. My 11-month old has a red swollen throat with blisters on it right now. The doc said it could take 7-10 days to clear up. I'm sure, as Murphy's Law will have it, my 5-year old will come down with it just as we are leaving on our 2-week vacation.

Well everyone, I will check in later. I am starting to get anxious over this trip we are taking (we will be leaving on the 27th). Like I said before, it will be easy to stay on plan during the driving part of the trip, but once we get to my husband's parents house, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want to eat the rich, fattening "illegal" foods. I'll take it one day at a time, and do what feels right then, I guess. I will probably get back on the board around July 11th, saying that I gained 10 pounds that I have to re-lose. That would be a bummer!

Oh well, take care and have a great Tuesday!
Old 06-17-2003, 12:12 PM   #47  

Tomorrow is my surgery, trying to tidy up and get some errands done. I'm at 169 today so down 1lb from last week. Take care all, I'll be back as soon as I'm feeling up to it!

Today's thought is:
There is no failure except in no longer trying.
- Elbert Hubbard

If we fail at something it means we took a risk. If we apply for a job
and get turned down, if we try out for a team and don't make it - these
things tell us we bothered to take a risk. When we were using, we only
risked what we didn't value - our lives. That requires nothing like the
sober courage it takes to risk so-called failure. So now, when we fail at
something, instead of feeling like a failure, a part of us can feel like a
winner for having taken the risk in the first place. Now we can begin to
treat ourselves to the small successes that used to be invisible.

Today let me be gentle with myself and simply be willing to try.
Today's meditation comes from the book
Our Best Days by Sally Coleman , Nancy Hull-Mast copyright
Old 06-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #48  

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your tips. After reading PANCHO's reply to me, I realized that I am aging myself by 5 years. I only have my 20 yr reunion coming up. Gosh--why would I want to make myself older?! This lack of sugar must be affecting my brain. Anyway, I'll post more later--I've got to get my daughter in for a nap!

Thanks!
OMW
Old 06-17-2003, 01:48 PM   #49  

Default Tuesday

Wow everyone has been so busy!

Hubby gets off call tomorrow thank goodness! Poor guy. Everyone in his shop had to work over the weekend because of the air show, but it was worse for him and the other guy on call. He got called around 2 Sat. morning, I have no clue as to when he got home, and had to be back up at work at 8, then after he got in, he had time to eat and then got called again and was out pretty much the rest of the night. He didn't get called at all on Sunday, and even got the whole night to sleep. They were off yesterday, and he got called once in the morning and then again sometime around midnight. At Barksdale they had it set up where he didn't have to do the call thing, so it's been a year or longer since he's done this mess, that is until we moved to this crappy place. They have 2 people on call at a time, and every ding dang time something goes wrong, both of them have to go work on the problem. Geez, I know different places do things differently, but holy cow, this is the military we're talking about here, and they don't do a whole lot of things different in "their way" of doing things. It just frustrates me to no end!

Eating has been ok, although Sunday I did have too many starches, but other than that, I've done good.

I swear renting a house is about more trouble that it's worth. The house we moved from is a tiny 3 bedroom, 1 bath. We had a $450 deposit, and then $450 for rent every month. We have been out of that dang thing for a month now, and the heiffer that owns it is trying to say that we can't get our deposit back because she's got this "list" of stuff she had to do to it after we left. I want to know just what she had to do to it that didn't need done before we moved in there. I do know that they replaced the carpet after we moved out, but heck that needed done a long time before we even moved into the place. All the bedrooms had that 70's shag carpeting, and that stuff is so hard to vaccuum, plus all of them had stains on them before we moved in there. Then the carpet in the living room and hallway was old as dirt too. The only thing I know we did, was run some cable into the bedroom, which the guy that owns it said we could, and then the girls bunk beds hit the wall and put a very small hole in it. They did mess up 2 blinds that we replaced before moving out. That place was cleaner when we left then it was when we moved in. And I dare her to say anything about the yard or the shed in the back yard. We didn't even touch the shed, and the yard was cleaned up and looked nicer than ever when we left. If you can imagine, the end of November, this place's grass was still green and needed to be mowed, but it was also covered in snow. It just makes me mad for her to say that.

Ok, enough of my complaining, I honestly think some of it is hormones due to TOM being about a week away.

I've got laundry going and a kid in the tub, so I gotta go so I can get her out, she'd be in there all day if I don't. Talk to y'all later.

Jenn
Old 06-17-2003, 02:23 PM   #50  

Thumbs down Good Afternoon

Okay boss is gone! Whooo Hooo What do I do know? Perhaps I could start on all this work he left me Anyways, I just came back from lunch, I ate a cobb salad with no carrots and blue cheese dressing and decaf crystal light tea. It was good!

Jack K: to answer your question about by fruit and veggies consumption. I have not really tried to add fruit yet. I am really not much of a fruit eater (although I am quite aware of the importance) and as for veggies the only thing I like is green beans and other no-no veggies) I do love to eat salad and eat quite a bit of it, which normally includes romaine lettuce, red cabbage, etc. If I have to force myself to eat things I do not like this will never last. I have been this way my whole life. So many nights mom and dad sent me to bed because I refused to eat my veggies or anything else for that matter. However, I did say in my earlier post that I will incorporate some fruits ( really only strawberries and cantaloupe)

I do plan to exercise today! We have youth service tonight, so I will have to exercise late. I must, I must. My life is just so busy. I sure wish I could stay home all day perparing "legal Meals" I basically have two -three nights home a week, so time is limited. I do the best I can. I used to get up at 6:00 to exercise, but man that takes tons of motivation.

Okay gals, chat later
Old 06-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #51  
Little Engine That Could

Been a busy day here. Did my weekly volunteer work and then grocery store stuff. I had a 4 oz. steak for breakfast along with some ratatouille. My DH ate out last night and had the steak left over, so it made a good breakfast. I had veggies and hummus for lunch: tomato slices, green beans, spinach, and celery stuffed with the hummus. I "cheated" and had a few sesame sticks when I was in the Health Food Store. Tonight will be poached chicken breast and roasted veggies.

My DD is down in the dumps because she had lost some weight and then put it all back on. She says she can't fit into any of her clothes. So she is coming over tonight and we will make some plans together so she can get on some sort of track, foodwise.

Gotta go. Dinner needs to be fixed now.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:35 PM   #52  
Goddess

Default Good Tuesday Afternoon!

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. The cold is finally starting to break up and I have a little more energy. VBS was good today--the kids loved the "whale." Three more days to go!

My eating has been really screwed up due to being sick. For a lot of the weekend I didn't feel like eating anything at all, when I did eat, it wasn't good. I, however, lost weight. Go figure. Trying to be better today and get back on a regular schedule.

Gator---I hope the new restrictions are helping you. I sympathize with your DD--I've been there myself!

Wanttheoldme--I know what you mean about getting up early to exercise--never been on for that myself. Sure wish I could though. Have fun while the boss is away!!

Jecrites--sounds like you are having a frustrating week with DH on call and your evil old landlady! Good luck on getting the depoist back!

OMW--Let' not make ourselves any older than we have to be!!!!!

ldblonde--good luck tomorrow--will be thinking about you!

Jackie--You have been trhough an awful lot in the last month. It's no wonder you've gotten off track. It's understandable, but perhaps one of the ways you can regain a sense of normalcy is to get back to your "normal" (meaning good) nutritional habits.

Pancho--Do the best you can while you are away. Can you pick around the starches to eat the meats and veggies?

Teensy--Durum Semolina is a type of wheat. It is made from the hardest part of the wheat kernal and, as such, produces a lower GI. I then to eat WW pasta at home, but if I'm out I donn't worry about it (actually I don't eat past out that much).

Kim--Glad to hear that your DM is on the mend! Try not to wear yourself out!

Arc--That's so cool about the sheets and the fan! I bet it was nice. I'm snacking on peanuts right now--I love nuts.

BOB--sorry to hear that you have more tests--at least you are starting to feel a little relief!

OK got to catch up on some work.

Have a great evening everyone!

Susan
Old 06-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon ladies.

This day is almost over. Heading home to first get my walk in (sure hope it doesn't rain on me again) and then fix my dinner. I have a meatloaf almost cooked. No big plans for tonight unless we just run some errands.

Since Deb hasn't been on the board today, I will remind everyone:

CHAT IS TONIGHT AT 9:15 EST. HOPE SOME OF YOU CAN JOIN IN.

Pancho, not only is it harder to lose wt as you get older, you skin loses it elasticity and now all the skin just sags. It has nowhere to go. So do it now while you are young. Sure wish I had done it 10-20 years ago. I guess better late than never.

IDblond, good luck with your surgery. Let us know how it goes.

Jecrites, I think nowadays you can almost always forget about those "deposits". I think they seem to make up things for them to keep them. Don't blame you for being mad. You ought to call and tell her about it.

Tonya, I basically only like starchy veggies. But you don't have to eat things you don't like, but it might surprise you on things you might happen to like. I never ate aspargus until SB. Can't say it is my fav, but I like it. I'd much rather have corn than broccoli, but I eat the broccoli knowing it is good for me. I really don't liek green beans, but I eat them. THe secret is to change your eating habits and get new habits so you don't gain all your wt back. I'm not much on many fruits either, peaches, strawberries, sometimes oranges, grapefruits and maybe an apple. I can eat apples better if I nuke them with cinnamon and splenda. Variety is the key.

Gator, it will be nice for both you and DD to be dieting together. It is nice to have a partner and some support.

Good luck on WIW to everyone.

Have a great evening. Hope to see you at chat.

Jackie.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #54  

Bob,
How would I get on the chat tonight?

Thanks!
OMW
Old 06-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #55  

Halllllooooo!!!!

I am back from the doctors... He pronounced my toe cured, and took the bandage off. It barely bothered me today at work! Hooray! Too bad every other joint and muscle in my body is screaming! My lab work was back and not very happy. My thyroid meds are not right, and he had to increase my T3, and reduce my T4. He is a bit frustrated that it is not normalizing like he had hoped. The bad news was that my ANA antibodies were positive, though not at a very high titer. This explains why I am so tired and sore, and possibly why my thyroid is so wacky. Basically, my lupus is flaring. We will keep an eye on it, and see what happens.

I am going to scoot...I want to lay down on the bed, rest and read for a while! I hope to make it back for chat, but since I have to work tomorrow at 6, I may not!

Old 06-17-2003, 07:02 PM   #56  

Good Afternoon Sugar Buster's!! Beautiful hot day here today. Our garden is growing like the weeds in my flower beds. Have to get at them in the mornings, because it gets too darn hot later to be able to do anything. We have baby tomatoes, and cucumbers!! Have already had some fresh lettuce in my salads, and green onions!! I am just amazed at what a few days of hot weather will do.

Dh took our boat down this morning. We will try to get down sometime this coming week to do some fishing. We fish all summer and then can the fish. It is better and has more flavor than the tuna you buy at the store. This is rainbow trout. Have to get the racks down for the truck. Need them to haul the dogs down, ha ha. (Cattle racks to haul three dogs!!) We have two Bassethounds, and one Shar Pei Chow mix. And I kid you not, they rule the roost around here.

Eating has been good. I can't believe how good I feel now, and how the weight just seems to be melting away again. I do make sure that I exercise 5 days a week, and am trying to get the time down for more of a cardio with the weight training. I try to go from each set to the next as quickly as I can. I am so close to my first goal, that I can actually see getting there finally. 25 months, and 94 pounds later.....hoping for even more tomorrow for WIW. I actually am wearing a large top (love the new stretchy ones) now instead of a 3X. I never thought I would get down past an XL because of my bust, but I have.

I don't have much more time, so will get replies in later. Hope all of you are having a super Tuesday!!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:37 PM   #57  

Hi All:

Deb was called away to be with her visitor from out of town, and was unable to post... Tonight is chat night. Deb won't be able to make it, but feel free to get on there!!!

If my computer allows me on it, I will be there as well

Eating some sugar free pudding I made with skim milk - had a terrible sweet tooth!!!!

Take care all!
Sabrina
Old 06-17-2003, 10:52 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Well, I'm still here but I haven't been a good girl. I had chocolate yesterday and then today I was legal but I had too many starches and WAY,WAY too much sodium enriched foods. I'm already swelling. Not a good sign- so I will be foregoing WIW. Tomorrow, I promise I will do better!!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:59 PM   #59  

Here is my eating for today.

B: 1 c. Uncle Sam's Cereal w/ 1/2 c skim milk, 10 blackberries

S: 3 melba toasts (whole grain) with 2 slices of summer sausage.
3/4 c. skim milk w/ 1 t. NSA choc syrup

L: Salad with turkey and FF mozerella, Ranch dressing seeds
sunflower seeds sprinkled on top

S: p-nuts in shells, 1 handful
grapes

D: Tossed Salad
Eggplant/spinach Parmesan (homemade with a little WW flour)
WW couscous

S: Orange Jello

Anybody like to critique?

I've got to get some sleep, but will post more tomorrow.

Goodnight!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 AM   #60  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Geez, if I don't get up at the crack of dawn it doesn't seem like I can make it on the computer! I just have a couple minutes now, have to get LAUREN lunch made for camp and then take her-I'm not even able to get in my walking!! I hate not being able to get on here and it's driving me nuts. Thanks to TRANQUIL for posting for me, just wanted to get you all a message that I was still alive, contrary to current myths. ELI's sister is leaving today, so I'll have a little more time, though it doesn't seem to help when the computer is involved-MICHAEL isn't doing anything outside the home at this time BUT be on the computer, need I say more I try to get on for 5 minutes and I am asked to vacate the seat. Tonight he's planning on having a bunch of kids over for movie night-hoping MAYBE I can get on then.

Hope WIW is good for you all-me, I'm still on strike with the scale!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Closed Thread