Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: From the list below, which salad dressing would you pick if only given these choices?
Caesar 4 12.90%
Ranch 5 16.13%
French 1 3.23%
Thousand Island 0 0%
Blue Cheese 9 29.03%
Italian 1 3.23%
Vinegarette 4 12.90%
Honey Mustard 2 6.45%
Creamy Garlic 2 6.45%
Oil &/or Vinegar 3 9.68%
None, I'd eat it plain 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:51 PM   #16  

Default south beach diet

Charlies Angel--
This is sooo weird. I just got back from the food store where I picked up the latest Prevention Guide Weight Loss Magazine. It is all abt the South Beach diet. It gives you menus and recipes. I haven't a chance to look through it thoroughly yet, but from glancing at it, it looks similar to sb. You can find it at checkout in the food store(mine was Safeway.) It costs $3.79. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #17  

Hi, all. My hubby is out of town for 8 days and I'm "surviving" with the twins on my own. I had a job interview this morning and it's a job I'd REALLY like to have. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Onmyweigh - no, that yogurt is NOT okay. Fructose, sucrose, sugar - they're all the same. Bad bad bad! I know, it sucks, doesn't it?

Charlie's - I haven't read south beach, but sugar busters and Atkins differ like this (at least, this is my personal assessment) You give up fatty, calorie- rich proteins in exchange for 2 servings of whole wheat (aka, low-glycemic) bread/pasta/rice and low-glycemic fruits. While you can go gangbusters with hot dogs and cheese and pork rinds on Atkins, you cannot necisarily do so on Sugar busters. This is what I've figured is the difference. I was on Atkins for almost 8 weeks and couldn't take the food anymore - much less the thought of that way of eating for the rest of my life.

Jackie - hey, when you fall off the wagon, you sure go in style, eh?

Tonya, nice to have a diet buddy!

Talitha - every day is a new day. German chocolate cake... hope you got it out of your system!

Zanne, I think I need to take a hint from you and see my work outs on a piece of paper. Perhaps that might help me get my butt in gear!

Jenn - are you pregnant? How far along?

Gator - nothing like seeing someone motivated so early on a Monday to make me feel like a slug!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #18  

Adrienne--
IT really does suck! I love that yogurt. Other than the stuff fr walmart, does anyone know a "legal" yogurt? Good luck with the twins this week. How old are they? My husband went out of town for 1 month once when my kids were 6months 6 and 9. That was tough! Also, good luck with the job. What kind of law do you do?? I used to settle accident cases with ins companies.

Karen aka on my weigh
Old 06-16-2003, 02:21 PM   #19  

Default Hi all

I had an absolutely wonderful weekend with my chicks. I did not eat well yesterday at our fathers day celebration but I am okay with that. Back to Curves at lunch today and ate really well so far.

I cannot post to everyone as I am heading home for the day.'

Take care

Katie
Old 06-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #20  

Okay I have read the sugar busters book and have seen no restriction to how much cheese, pork rinds, etc we can eat???? It just has it on the list of allowable foods. Now don't get me wrong, I am not eating alot of it barely, but just wanting info for reference. So confusing! I mean I am eating the same thing as atkins but adding more beans and 1 slice of toast daily? Seems like everyone is having their own way of doing this.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #21  
Enjoying a new beginning

Hi everyone...I had a lovely weekend. My hubby turned 50 and we had a great party for him. I did eat a little bd cake and had a beer. But I extended my treadmill time and refuse to beat myself up!! It is such a victory for me to know with the odd detour this is a food program I can follow for life.

For the new gals... the ole pros here reccomended getting Michiel Montignac's book " Eat yourself slim". It is a wonderful resource and really answers the issues not fully explained in the SB book.

I have a appt with my onocologist tomorrow so shall be off the board for a couple of days. I'm expecting to hear only good news..then I will definitely Grin and Share It!! Have a great week...Lori
Old 06-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #22  

Dang! I lost my response! How did that happen?

Anyway, I was saying that I thought the SB book does, in a way, have you modify calories because it frowns upon fatty cuts of meat, discourages eating skin on chicken, etc. It says you can eat cheese, but it should be reduced fat cheese. If you look in the back of the book it has sample "menus" for different types of people. One is for a woman trying to lose weight, another is for an active woman, one for a man, one for an active man... and the difference is calories. I tried to stick to that 'meal plan' and found I was starving. I don't think SB would like you to eat pork rinds because they're fried and adding fatty (ie: high caloric) foods thwarts the purpose. They frown on fried foods as a whole because of the fats. On Atkins, one day I realized that I ate 200 fat grams! Granted, I only had 12 total carbohydrates, but I'm pretty sure SB wouldn't like that!

I'd sure like to read that book that was mentioned because I really think the SB book lacks in the "whole picture."
Old 06-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #23  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON BUDDYS!!!

Just got back from the Dr....the MRI was inconclusive except that he found a buldging disc on the left side....trouble with that is ....it's the wrong side!!! It's not bothering me, so he won't do anything about that right now...I now have to have a
CT, Myelogram and Nerve Condusive testing....SO all I got from this visit was and order for more testing and a new script for PAIN PILLS He did put me on a new anti-inflamatory twice a day...the VIOXX raised my blood pressure and I had to stop taking that..BACK TO SQUARE ONE!!!!

I have the SOUTH BEACH BOOK ...it's very easy to read, the Cardiologist that wrote it did so mainly for
the Miami Heart Institute...they use it at the hospital for all patients...it's low fat, low carbs. They do a two week induction like Atkins, then it's basically like SUGAR BUSTERS...
There is a lot of good info in the book, so it you can get your hands on it to read...do so!

I'm proud to announce that throughout my drug stupper, I've lost 15lbs....I'll take it....anyway I can get it!

BOB
Old 06-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #24  
Wannabe skinny babe

I was under the impression that the Blue Bunny Lite 85 NSA Yogurt was legal because there IS no added sugar, and the good bacteria eats the fruit/milk sugars.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #25  

So, BIG ORANGE BABE, would you say that if I followed South Beach after the induction phase of Atkins, I would have something close to the same success as doing Sugar Busters after? I want to stick to the induction to get the weight off (only 8.5 more to go!) and then get a hold of something that I can do 'for life' - I don't see Atkins being that.

This is difficult going in and scanning around to read everyone's stuff when you're looking for something specific --- what's the deal with doing this like this versus posting a new thread? A space issue??? I don't get it.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #26  

Default Anyone in Maryland

Does anyone in Md. know which food store carries the Blue Bunny Yogurt? I rarely get to Walmart.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2003, 05:25 PM   #27  

Hello everyone:

I went in for my nutritional consult at my new gym today. I thought I was doing so well, but I still have some work to do. I am almost 5'5" and weigh around 130. Sounds great, eh? Well, I still have too much fat and not enough muscle. My body fat is at 29%, and the good range is 24%. I guess I will get there. What do you expect after having a baby 11 months ago. I guess that excuse is getting lame since my little baby will be 1-year old next month. The thing is, everyone tells me that I look toned. Well, I am happy with my efforts so far. I have lost 22 pounds in over 3 months. Not too shabby. I hope to lose a few more and then tone, tone, tone!!!

I hope everyone had a great weekend and fun Father's Day. We spoiled my husband with taking him out to dinner on Saturday and making French Toast on Sunday. I took the girls to a pottery place a few weeks back, and my oldest made a car night light for him, and we took a tile and painted it, and put my youngest daughter's hand and footprint on it. The pieces turned out nice, and daddy liked them.

Charlies - SB is far better off for your health in the long run than Atkins (I feel). I think you could easity lose the 10 pounds you are looking to lose on SB and keep it off. The problem with Atkins is so much fat! With Sugar Busters, it is such a well-rounded program. You can have your whole grains and fruit too. I did Atkins for 2 months and lost about 11 pounds. I have been on SB since the beginning of May and have lost the same amount as I did on Atkins (in less time). When I was on Atkins, I didn't lose when I was working out. I also gained a lot back if I had one food that was not allowed. With SB, I can splurge once in awhile and it doesn't affect me too much. You can have red wine on SB. You can also have pasta if it is whole grain (you can find it at Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, specialty stores like that). I found some at Wild Oats that has the ingredients listed at 100% whole durham wheat & water. I was in such an Atkins frame of mind, that the first time I had pasta, I feared weighing myself the next day. Well, I wasn't up at all, I was the same. I still am seeing losses or maintenance when I eat my whole grain stuff. Good luck.

Tonya - Good luck; hope your efforts (or lack thereof) pay off for you. You will be filling up that nursery before you know it. It is really tough to get out of the Atkins frame of mind, but you really should. It is really tough to incorporate Atkins with SB, because you will probably gain weight or surely not lose if you are allowing yourself 2 starchy carbs a day in addition to all the fat you are eating on Atkins. I will almost guarantee you if you lose the weight that you are looking to lose on Atkins, you will gain it back very quickly if you get pregnant. If you do SB, you can continue doing it while pregant and stay healthy for you and the baby.

Jackie: Our mind sure has a way of helping do us in doesn't it? It was funny reading your post because I have always been the same way. Why not just splurge on one thing and be done with it? Because our mind tells us, "you already screwed up, you better do it BIG." After having my first child over 5 years ago, I did nothing to lose that baby weight because I knew I'd be having another baby. Why lose it just to gain it again? How dumb was that? It took us nearly 4 years to get pregnant again. I was at my daughter's end of the year party for her preschool class, and someone brought in fresh hot chocolate chip cookies. They looked and smelled so good, I had to have one. As I was scarfing it down, I said to myself, "I already blew it...I may as well have a few more." But, I didn't. I reasoned with myself and said one is better than none, and don't eat anymore. I was so proud of myself. But, when we have a day or two like that, we have to put it behind us and move on with a positive attitude that today is a new day, and we're going to do better! I know you will have a better week this week.

Onmyweigh - Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt made with Splenda is a good choice. I find it at Albertson's here in Phoenix. I think it is good to set goals, but maybe expecting to see a 2# loss per week may be setting your sights a little high. I don't know how much you have to lose, but sometimes hoping to see a certain number on the scale just tends to discourage us when we don't see it. I wish you all the luck though, and hope that this way of eating makes you feel healthier. It makes me feel so much better!

BOB - So sorry to hear about your doc's visit. It's discouraging when you are unable to find out what the problem is. BUT, congrats on your fabulous weight loss; 15 #'s is a lot of work, and you should be very proud of yourself!

Well, my daughter is about to tear out of her room. Quiet time to her seems to be punishment. I will check in later.

Take care.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:29 PM   #28  

Perhaps I am reading the wrong book? I do not see anything at the end about specials menus, nor do I see anything about low fat cheese, In fact, it says to stay away from low fat foods, due to they raise the sugar content to compensate for the fat. Oh well, We shall see.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #29  

Hi Pancho!

You should be so proud of your weight loss. I am soooo jealous. I am 5' 4.5" and weigh 154.4. I want to weigh 130. I wonder if I am eating too much fat and protein. Any tips? Do you mind telling me one day's meal plan? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #30  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

I thought this might help some of you who have questions!
SOUTH BEACH DIET is DEFINATELY healthier than ATKINS...it promotes lower fat protein and healthy carbs...PLEASE go to the library and check out the book...you won't be sorry!

Learn about the carbohydrate content in foods

The more you know about what carbohydrates are and which foods contain
them,
the better your low carb success will be. Many “healthy” foods you’re
eating
right now may contain high quantities of carbs, such as rice, potatoes,
breads,
cereals, rice cakes, low fat crackers, and soda.

Carbohydrates are ubiquitous! Even foods you wouldn’t think contain
carbohydrates do, such as milk and yogurt. Most people consider count
these
dairy foods as protein sources, and they do contain 7-8 grams of
protein, but
if you look the food label you’ll see they are primarily carbohydrates.
Skim
milk contains 13 grams of carbs, 12 of which are sugar. Low fat yogurts
contain
anywhere between 19 –40 grams of carbohydrates.

Even foods such as ketchup, tomato sauce, and salad dressing can
contain a
significant amount of carbs. You don’t have to totally eliminate these
foods
from your diet, just make sure you are counting them as carbohydrates
and
adjust the rest of daily carb intake accordingly.

Learning to read a food label is a must! Don’t just look at the
calories and
fat grams. Look at the carbohydrate grams and the fiber. The less carbs
and the
more fiber the better.

Be sure to read the ingredients as well. Maltodextrin, sucrose,
fructose, and
dextrose are sugars as well. Beware anything that ends in “ose!”

Tip #2: Increase your FAT and PROTEIN consumption to compensate for the
carbohydrates you are removing.

Cutting down on carbs without replacing them with fats and proteins
will
ultimately lead to low carb failure. Eating fat and protein will ensure
that
you’re getting enough calories and will also satisfy your tastebuds.

Choose heart-healthy fats such as olive oil, canola oil, nuts, and
peanut
butter (don’t bother with reduced fat peanut butter – the fat is
replaced with
sugar!). Eat more fish and seafood to increase your consumption of
omega 3
fatty acids. If you can’t stand fish take a fish oil supplement daily.

If you find that you’re too hungry or don’t have enough energy on your
low carb
diet, chances are you’re not eating enough fat. We don’t have to be
afraid of
fat anymore! Eating fat will not make it turn into fat on our
bodies--unless we
couple a high fat diet with a high carb diet. When we limit our carb
intake on
a low carb diet, we become much more efficient at burning dietary fat
and our
own body fat. That’s a promise!

Eat high-quality proteins such as lean meats, chicken, turkey, cottage
cheese,
and eggs (including yolks!). Watch for the sodium content in foods like
bacon,
prepackage lunch meats, and sausage.

Make sure you eat frequently throughout the day. This will keep your
metabolism
revved up and also ensure that you never get ravenously hungry. Aim for
four to
six small meals a day, no more than four hours apart.

BOB
Closed Thread