Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: From the list below, which salad dressing would you pick if only given these choices?
Caesar 4 12.90%
Ranch 5 16.13%
French 1 3.23%
Thousand Island 0 0%
Blue Cheese 9 29.03%
Italian 1 3.23%
Vinegarette 4 12.90%
Honey Mustard 2 6.45%
Creamy Garlic 2 6.45%
Oil &/or Vinegar 3 9.68%
None, I'd eat it plain 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #31  

Thank you for all for info Bob!!! It is very helpful. I'm on the board so much today. Can you tell I am a "stay at home" mom. That is how I got into this predicament (sp). The kitchen is never far away. Have a great evening!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:24 PM   #32  

Hi All:

Made this delicious eggplant - sliced the eggplant up, crushed tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, onion, garlic, kalamat olives, oregano, pepper, and chicken sausage I bought....baked for an hour till eggplant mushy - delicious!!! Shared it with Gram who came over to watch About Schmidt - I loved that movie, so bought it Big fall off the wagon on Saturday night! Just in drinks - went out with a friend to St. Augustine, and had such a good time and yet I did not eat anything illegal - I drank it!!!! I suffered with more than the fall off the wagon - my head hurt! Learned a big lesson hahaha Met a lot of interesting people too. Tonight I had leftover eggplant... I have nuts, cashews, on hand for munchies at home, but I do my best to not over do it - just for those weak moments when I have to have something crunchy and salty.....

Got to run, Take care and Have a good OP week!!!

Sabrina
Old 06-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #33  
Little Engine That Could

YellowRose--I found all the info on the South Beach Diet online by Googling. I typed in "South Beach Diet" and selected what looked like the best option, which was the article in Prevention Magazine. It pretty much explained the whole diet, with sample menus, GI lists, etc. Hope you can find it. If not, let me know and I'll try to find it and send you the URL. The article that onmyweigh mentions, the one in this month's Prevention magazine, is fully covered in the online article.

onmyweigh--I don?t know if anyone answered your yogurt question yet, but forget that flavored yogurt. The fructose is a sugar. The 10 gms is a lot of sugar. Just buy plain, unflavored yogurt and add cut up fresh fruit or unsweetened applesauce, or something fresh.

Lawyer--I agree with your assessment of the difference between Adkins and SB. The new doctor I'm seeing referred me to the SB book, but she also wanted me to forego all grains right now. So I'm doing something between Adkins and SB. Trying to keep the fat fairly low--no pork rinds (ugh), fatty meats, etc. but also no bread or cereal. I did have a nectarine today before lunch, but she wants me to cool it on the fruits too. I'm just trying to keep things in moderation. The no grains, and high protein and veggies that the doctor wants are the reason I had what looks like a weird breakfast.

Want the Old Me--See Lawyer's analysis of the difference between Adkins and SB to find your answer. If you are gonna eat the pork rinds and stuff like that, then don't eat bread, cereal or pastas, and limit the fruit.

I did pretty good following the doctor's orders today. I worked out with weights this afternoon and ate pretty well. Lunch was chicken salad. I was still satisfied from the nectarine snack I had earlier. Tonight I'm having "spaghetti" (Ha Ha--really zucchini julienned and sauteed) topped with clam sauce, and ratatouille. I made the ratatouille about an hour ago and it is good. Tomorrow it will be even better.

BOB, hope they find out what they need to in those tests. They can be an aggrevation if you have all the tests and they are still stumped. Take it easy, girlfriend.

Last edited by GatorGal; 06-16-2003 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #34  

Onmyweigh - I, too, am a stay-at-home mom of two girls. How many children do you have and what are their ages? I have 2 girls (5 yrs & 11 mos). This is where my weight came from. I was so lazy after having my first since I knew I was gonna get preg. again. I didn't want to put the effort into losing the weight to gain it again. After a miscarriage and failing our attempts at trying to get preg. I finally decided to lose the weight. I got down to 138 and then got pregnant. I only gained 33 pounds during that last pregnancy, but still came out of the pregnancy weighing 152 (very close to where you are). Our stats are very much the same. I am just under 5'5". Everyone was telling me that I looked great (for just having a baby). I wanted to look great without just having a baby, but still put it off until she was nearly 8 months old. I started Atkins on Feb. 24th & got sooooo sick of it by the end of April, and started to investigate "diets." I was so happy to find SB, and know that I will always eat this way now.

Here is a typical menu: I was told by a nutritionalist at the gym today that I should incorporate more protein into my breakfasts.

a.m. - small bowl of strawberries or cantaloupe.

30-40 minutes later - bowl of shredded wheat OR a slice of whole grain toast OR a whole grain blueberry muffin (that I found on the board here).

mid-morning snack - either Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt with no-sugar granola OR sugar-free frozen cappuccino OR boiled egg & cheesestick.

Lunch - usually some type of salad with a protein (chicken salad or turkey or grilled chicken) OR half a whole grain pita with sliced turkey, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes.

mid-afternoon snack depends on how many carbs I've had during the day already: May be Triscuits with Lite Laughing Cow cheese OR yogurt OR fruit.

Dinner - I rarely ever eat any starchy carbs for dinner. If I decide to have pasta (whole grain), I make sure that I eat dinner early (5:30 - 6:00). If not, I usually always make some type of meat (chicken, salmon, pork, etc), a salad, and another veggie. I usually make rice or potatoes for the rest of the family as a filler. If I do have pasta, I don't make it the main course, and usually limit myself to only one cup.

I am not a evening or late night snacker, but have occasionally enjoyed a cup of popcorn (not SB legal though), or a Blue Bunny Health Smart (no sugar added) fudgesicle (these are yummy; they are low in calories, have no fat or refined sugars.

I hope that helps some. I will check in sometime tomorrow. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope I can help others the way the ladies (& BOB) have helped me out!

Take care.

Last edited by Pancho; 06-16-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:03 PM   #35  

Default Pancho

Hi everyone!

Pancho--I have a 11 yr girl, 9 yr boy and 3yr girl. I have gone up and down with my weight all my adult life. I got very thin after my son was born and then again after my 3yr old. I started w/ww and then used phentermine. I was about 125 lbs. Unfortunately, when Sept 11 occurred, I was so anxious and depressed that I let myself go foodwise, but still went to the gym. Last summer I was 20 lbs lighter. Since about January, I have been training with a trainer and dieting. Nothing was happening so, I also started looking for alternatives. SB seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. The only problem that I have is that I eat too many nuts. I have my 25 yr high school reunion Thanksgiving weekend and really want to have 30 lbs off of me. What kind of exercising are you doing and how often? I really need to see something happen either in my clothes or on my scale. I get discouraged easily. I've been really good so far...
Thanks for posting your menu. It really helped alot. Do you take omega 3 vitamins. What is your secret for getting it off so quickly?

Thanks--
On my weigh
Old 06-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #36  

Hello everyone.
I didn't do so well today. IT's almost TOM, and I"m still in binge mode from the camping trip. Does anyone else ver have a hard time snapping out of it? I mean, I know what to do, I just can't get myself to get back on track. It's like "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!!' Part of it is because I haven't had a chance to go grocery shopping. There was nothing here, so I ate bad while I was babysitting today.

Breakfast
3/4 C Apple Juice ( I have GOT to learn to eat breakfast!!)

Snack
12 peanuts
2 oz. Cheddar cheese

Lunch
1 rottiserie chicken leg & thigh, skinned (breast was already gone)
Diet Caffiene Free coke

Snack
at least 3 handfuls of Fruit and nut trail mix (WAY too much)
1/2 C grape juice

Supper
2 oz turkey polish sausage
1 c. veggie medley
3 Tb. brown rice (I felt sick and didn't finish_

Grazing - mixed in today VERY BAD
3 bites of mac & cheese
2 sips of cherry slushie
several of my brother's nachos

So I told you I was going to post everything. I just feel really gross because I overdid it on the nuts. I did get about 85 oz of water in. I got in the pool to swim some laps, and thunder started before I had even dunked, so I didn't get to exercise today. I'm going to walk first thing with Selah tomorrow.

Jack-k I know how you feel. I am in super binge mode. Seriously!!

Onmyweigh - this may not be what you want, but I buy plain lowfat yogurt (NOT vanilla) and mix in my own all fruit spread. It's really good, and I actually prefer it now, to the really sweet yogurts. You could try it

Zanne _ I think I should start writing down my workouts. That's a great idea for motivation! Thanks!!

Grin&ShareIt - I think I might check that book out, too. I need some structure.

Oh, Selah got her first tooth today. Not even 6 months old yet!!!!!

Sweet dreams all.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 PM   #37  

Evening! This is going to be short, as I am just too exhausted to write much. Worked this morning...the toe held up ok, but I was sure glad to get my shoes off! I feel like some one beat me today. I ache all over.

Eating has been ok. I did have a few Skittles, but other than that, I was pretty well on program. Now if I can just stop the small nibbles, I will be back OP 100%. Tomorrow, I have a doctor's appointment to get my lab results. I am not looking forward to it. He will probably want to get me on the scale, and the way I feel right now, I just might kick him.

Time to hit the pillow...five am just gets here TOO early!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #38  
Goddess

Hello all! It's me dragging myself in to say a qucik hello!

VBS started today and will go on the rest of the week. I'm the director, so it will be a hactic week for me! Everything went well this morning (though we were late getting started getting everyone registered). Before we left this afternoon we had to build a whale so our kiddies can climb into the belly of the whale like Jonah! (It's real cute--tape a big sheet of plastic to the floor tape one end around a box fan, pleat the other end and tape it to the floor. Turn on the fan and watch your whale inflate! Cut a slit in the top for an opening and presto--you too can go inside the belly of a whale! The whale was working when we left this afternoon. Let's hope he behaves tomorrow!

I'm still feeling kind of puny. The cold is hanging on and really sapping my energy. I had to come home a crash for two hours this afternoon before I could move again. Looking forward to my Nyquil and bed tonight! I'm also dehydrated. I am drinking water like it is going out of style, but my lips and mouth stay dry. I haven't been running a fever, but my body is sure behaving as if I have been running high ones. I've been checking regularly and it got barely over 100 one time on Sat night--other that that is has been perfectly normal.

I see there have been lots of discussion of the South Beach diet. I'd like to look at that more closely since I read the article in prevention. But no time right now.

I hope everyone has a good week! I'll pop in when I can.

Susan
Old 06-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #39  
Goddess

Monet--When you kick you Dr.--do it with your good foot! ;-)

Susan
Old 06-16-2003, 10:48 PM   #40  

FILLISE:<<Before we left this afternoon we had to build a whale so our kiddies can climb into the belly of the whale like Jonah! (It's real cute--tape a big sheet of plastic to the floor tape one end around a box fan, pleat the other end and tape it to the floor. Turn on the fan and watch your whale inflate! Cut a slit in the top for an opening and presto--you too can go inside the belly of a whale! >> My middle sister and I used to make summer "tents" to sleep in this way,with sheets tucked into the handle of a box fan, and then tucked onto the other side of the bed. It was so wonderful... I'm smiling just remembering it.

OMW: I love my nuts too!! I probably eat too many of them, my peanuts in the shell, almonds, cashews and pistachios. I have to have something to nibble on, I also liike cheese and my oranges. Unsweetened applesauce, and macintosh apples when I can get them. I detest most veggies, so salads are out of the question for me. I just figure, I could be eating Doritos, cheese puffs and chocolate, and drinking Coke. At least I'm snacking healthy and I'm hoping that my appetite will start to slack off as I get smaller!!

And,, I tried to watch my exercise DVD. It put me to sleep I'll try that again tonight!! Hugs and encouragement to everyone!!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:24 PM   #41  

Monday Night Quickie!

Hello everyone. Well I've been busier than that popular one-armed paper hanger. Whew! Visiting Mom on the weekend took the majority of the weekend. She is doing lots better Trying to master that walker so she can get about on her own.

I'm well, just too much to do right now. Just getting on here at 11 p.m. on Monday. Taught a class tonight, so still winding down from that. Eating has been pretty good. Felt lousy last Wed so laid off my exercising. Got the stomach blahs and just felt icky. (I think my week three makes me sick every so often.) So I will get back on tomorrow morning and see what damage I've done by not sticking with it. MONET, time to give me heck!!!!!

Hope you all are well. So happy to see that we are already at page 3 before Tuesday arrives. Way to go you all!!!! Keep it up. You all are THE BEST!!!!

I'll try and read and respond later. Have to teach again on Wednesday night. I'll be glad when this week is past and we can move on to another with not so many items on the "to do" list.

Take care. Hugs to all.
Kim
Old 06-17-2003, 01:26 AM   #42  

Monday night--hello ladies, I have been reading with mixed feelings tonight. I am going to add my two cents, and hope that I don't step on anyones toes.

Re: Atkins (I have never done this WOE, just read the book, I did the Protein Power.)--- To do this right, you need to do a two week induction period. Carbs are to be kept below 20 and no fruits or peanuts during this time. AFTER 2 WEEKS, increase your carbs by 5 grams per every couple of days until you find where you gain weight, DROP back by 5 - 10 grams to where you will continue to lose weight. After induction, berries, and or melon is okay, as is low carb breads. Atkin's even makes one. Atkin's does not really allow you to eat ALL the fat you want. He really does advocate lean meats. But during the first couple of weeks, your carb counts are down so low for detoxing that the fat will probably not hurt you. In the new book ATKINS FOR LIFE he advocates lowering your fat intake, because as you go into maintenance, you will be adding more carbs. This makes sense to me, just as the SB woe does. I think that they are more similar than most realize.

I am very happy with the SB wol. I am still losing weight, when I stalled on PP. But I think alot of the Atkin plan is misunderstood. In one interview he had, he stated if after a few weeks you are still at 20 grams of carbs, then you are not doing the Atkins WOL!

As I said, this is just my two cents, and I am not on here turn anyone from SB---because I honestly believe that this is a wonderful way of eating, and I plan on doing it for life.

Now then, I have heard you people talk about semolina pasta.

Quote:
Teensybean
I don't eat WW pasta, I do make sure it's 100% semolina which I understand is legal because its actually durum wheat? Someone correct me if I'm wrong K?
I found this in our store, but wanted to double check before buying any. What is durum wheat? And why is it okay? I would love to be a little more creative with some dinners, so if anyone could fill me in here, I would be forever in your debt!!

Enough from me for one night, I hope you all have a great night, and see you tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:52 AM   #43  

This is a TERRIBLE picture of me. I just tried to take it in a dark room and it's really grainy and blurry. But... it's me.

Sheanne
Old 06-17-2003, 09:31 AM   #44  

Angry Good Morning Ladies!

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday. Yaaaaaaaa, my boss is out Wednesday-Friday!!!! I will be all alone to play! Don't be surprised if you more messages. Well yesterday went well. I am so proud, I did my machine for 35 minutes and did 3 miles burned 360 something calories (which I would question) this machine seems to give out those calories burned ike nothing. My legs are feeling sore, Love that Feeling As for my eating I did well I think

AM: 2 eggs, 1 SF toast, 2% milk
Snack: about 5 Nuts
Lunch: 2 skinless chicken legs and beans
Snack: about 10 nuts
While cooking snack, 3 tristcuits with 1/2 slice of cheese
Dinner: 2 skinless chicken legs, green beans and sweet potatoe
tiny bit of diet sprite and of course lots of water!

How does this sound? And for the record, I do not eat pork skins. I did buy them when I was on Atkins and had few but they are still in the cabinet. I felt gross buying them In fact, I recently tried to give them away. I still have yet to venture out to buy fruit. I am pretty limited on what I like. Strawberries and cantaloupe are about it, I think.

Okay Ladies Have a Wonderful day! Perhaps I will post some more pics while boss is out since I know how to do it now. On day I will take a picture of the nursery (when its done!) It is just beautiful if I may say so myself.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:00 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Tuesday Morning,

Hope everyone is doing good today. Made it yesterdayh OP. With the exception of 5 pieces of my DD popcorn. Big salad with steak for dinner.

Had a piece of Deb's cheesecake for breakfast and a fruit smoothie. Getting ready to have some celery and pbutter. Have a chef salad for lunch. Meatloaf and veggies for dinner.

onmyweigh, I buy Kroger LITE yogurt. It is sweetened with aspartame (sp) and Wal-Mart carried Blue Bunny that is sweetened with Splenda. You might want to try soy nuts. I love them (salted) and they contain fewer calories than nuts.

Yellow, good to hear from you again. Jump on in that wagon and hold on tight.

Lawyer, good luck on that job interview. Sounds like you will have your hands full for the next week with DH out of town.

Cathlaur, WTG on getting right back on track and into your curves.

Tonya, are you adding fruits and veggies with your beans and toast? Those are so important. Moderation is the key with the cheese and pork rinds.

Grin, good luck with your Dr. visit.

Bob, sorry you didn't get any conclusive results from the MRI. But 15 lbs is awesome. You ahve been holding out on us.

Pancho, Baby fat after 11 months is great. I still have my baby fat and my "baby" is 20 years old. Yes our minds seem to control over better judgement. I think I was very weak due to the emotional rollacoaster my life has been lately. I'm ready to buckle down and things seem to be back to normal. Congrats on your will power over those cookies. I seem to have tons of willpwoer over sweets, it just the other stuff the calls my name.

Tranquil, you and I have the same problems,love those drinks. And when I drink I want something salty. I can't seem to learn moderation so I think I need deprivation.

Gator sounds like you are getting a handle of this new way of eating. Hope you can keep it interesting enough.

Talitha, I know everyone says this and its easier said than done, but if you don't cheat, then you don't have any problem getting back on track. I didn't cheat for at least my first year and I lost so great. The first little cheats weren't bad and got right back on track, but then they start getting more frequent and bigger. Then it's hard to get back on track. So be prepared always with legal foods, find alternatives for those things you crave.

Monet, glad your toe is feeling better. Get some rest and take it easy.

Fillise, I am impressed you are so creative. That whale sounds so cute. Hope you start feeling better soon. Don't get too worn out and get sicker.

Arcayne, got a laugh aboaut your exercise DVD putting you to sleep. You are supposed to participate. That will keep you awake!

Kim, I was just about to send out an APB for you. Sounds like you are running ragged. Glad you are still eating good through all of it. Take care of yourself.

Teensy, I buy the 100% semolina. Just don't like the ww. Don't really know what duram semonlina is, but I like it.

Sheanne, thanks for the pic. Love to put a face with a name.

Deb, where are you? We are missing you.

Have a great OP day.

Jackie.
Closed Thread