Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/137

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
I've contemplated trying to make some kind of treat by freezing the unsweetened almond milk in an ice cream machine with a bit of stevia (and cinnamon). Has anyone tried anything like this? And if so, do you have any suggestions?
Deetermined- I have not even thought of this, but it does sound good. I wonder though if there is enough fat in it. Doesn't there have to be fat to make it freeze well? I'm not sure about that. Maybe mixing almond milk withe cream would work? Or maybe on its own? I have wondered what to do with the usam because I can't drink it all within a week either. I hate cow's milk, but this stuff is pretty decent. My how I have missed cereal (lactose intolerant and just figured it out a couple of years ago - fine with cream though -doesn't make sense) and I am enjoying now with usam. Any breakfast ideas - I hate wasting one carb on a whole serving - Cup of cheerios is 20 and 1/2 cup usam is 1. I feel like I am wasting my carbs if I stop there. I suppose I could eat 3/4 cup of cheerios instead of a full cup and save a whole serving.
TheSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #242  
.::Loren::.

S/C/G: 184/174.5/135

Height: 5'

I did some research last night and found several people om several different forums who froze the almond milk in ice cube trays. So, apparently you CAN freeze it. I will be using it mostly for baking anyway, so if the texture changes it won't bother me.

Holding steady at 170.6. Better than gaining. I really need to track my eating better at home. I'm just not tracking it at all. I am sick sick sick with some kind of head cold right now, and don't have any appetite. Made myself eat breakfast, two eggs, two slices of bacon, and my laughing cow cheese. Ate about 3/4.

How is everyone else doing?

Last edited by Lnm130; 02-22-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Lnm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #243  

First of all I want to say that I love the BFC tracker! I'm having issues adding new foods to it so that they can auto popluate. Any suggestions on how to add to it easily?

In regards to the servings, in the back of the BFC book when it says for example: Pasta, angel hair, barilla plus, Barilla serving 2oz S/C 2/2 How do you all estimate about how much pasta that is? I'm terrible with estimating. SO, I take some and put it on my plate, how do I guess how many ounces it is? Anyone have a method they use?

I'm just starting today. I've taken my measurements and weighed myself yesterday so we will see! Excited and hope it works. I want to lose 30lbs in total but at least 15lbs by April because I'm going to Miami!

P.s How do you make the diagram at the bottom in your signature to track your weight loss?

Thanks!
misslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #244  

misslady...what tracker are you using?

To find an accurate 2 oz of pasta, you would have to weigh it.

We can't get signatures until we have been active members for 20 days, and I think you have to make 20 posts as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #245  

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

I've been on BFC now for 9 days. Before I started, I had not weighed myself in over 3 years. I knew I hadn't gone up, since all of my clothes from then to now still fit. Well, on Monday morning, I bit the big one and weighed myself. I actually weighed less than I did when I last weighed myself, just before I had to have "female" surgery.

I can tell that I've lost some as I've dimples where before were nicely rounded plump spots on my tummy. I've got a lot to lose and I've made to promise to myself to see this through to the end. Now to encourage my teenage son who so desperately needs to lose weight to start with me. He's recovering from knee surgery he had last Thursday and just doesn't want to commit to anything now.

I found a new product at my local Winco Store yesterday that I hadn't seen before. It is called FlatOuts and are flat bread. The light original flat bread equals 1/1 and can be used as a base for pizza. Am going to try it soon!!!

Continued success to everyone!
VinoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 173.5/151/130

Height: 5.4

So happy to hear everyone is doing so well... Today was weigh in day for me... sadly only .5 lbs down.. I know I should be happy it wasn't a gain--but this is 3 weeks later and I am only down 1.5lbs.. I added lemon to the water last week.. Cut back on bread carbs and still can't seem to get this thing started... I really beleive its too early for a plateu

I averages 3 carbs a day and 8 sugars-- so I know I am staying on plan. The only thing I can think of is portion size. I will work on that this week.

I know there might have been one day last week that I went over due to mushrooms--hubby made scrambled eggs for dinner and didn't measure them out (ughh thanks for helping) but I guess if you are going to go over a veggie is the best way right?

As far as the pasta-- yes you have to measure. If you are having elbows its generally about 1/2 cup uncooked that gets you 2 oz... in my opinion not worth the carbs (but then I love pasta!) Estimating gets you in trouble especially if you are estimating when you are hungry!
dancingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #247  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfish View Post
I averages 3 carbs a day and 8 sugars-- so I know I am staying on plan. The only thing I can think of is portion size. I will work on that this week.
Jorge says in his book that we need to get all 6 carbs in, I'm pretty sure. I know that I rarely get al 6 either. I'm ALWAYS under on the sugar as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I've read lots of posts in different places on the internet and jorge's 120 grams of carbs per day is kind of high for sustained weight loss unless you are just starting. I did lose at first with higher amounts of carbs but stalled for about six weeks and I was following everything to the letter. I'd get on the scale every week expecting a loss to no avail. I know I wasn't losing inches either as my skinny jeans were still tight.

I lost 2 LBs last week by cutting out all grains and just eating vegetable carbs. I understand that his new fast start program cuts out all grains even metamucil.

I think we all need to pay attention to what results in weight loss for each of us and adjust our carbs accordingly. I have friends who have low carbed long term and it seems they need to eat fewer and fewer carbs to keep on losing. So if that is true a person wouldn't want to restrict carbs too early on as you will probably have to restrict gradually to keep losing.

Jorge has a face book page I think jorgecruise will pull it up. I have read some interesting posts there from longer term BFCers.

dancing fish you would have to eat a lot of mushrooms to go over on carbs 1 cup would be eight grams of carbs. You would need to eat 2 1/2 cups to really go over unless you had a lot of other carbs with the meal.

lmn130 All six servings could be as few as 30 grams of carbs. I know when I first started coming here someone posted that most BFCers don't try to max out their carbs.

I have been thinking about this carb cycling that some people in other areas post about to keep weight loss on track. I don't know if it is the same thing as calorie cycling. I guess the idea is to keep the body guessing with some higher carb days and lower carb days as we can go into survival mode. Our bodies do adapt to what we are eating and try to hang on to that darn fat.

Hope this post wasn't too much of a bummer. I do like the WOE as all the protein and fat are really satisfying and I have been able to stick with this plan long term. So I guess even though the weight loss has slowed to a crawl I am maintaining. In the past if I would have felt deprived I would have gone off the diet and been gaining. Because I wouldn't think I was losing and it wasn't worth it. I was probably white knuckling it every single day.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 166/166/140

Height: 5'5"

I was suppose to weigh in yesterday but didn't. Don't laugh at my reason, but it's because I haven't had a bowel movement for two days! Needless to say I'm feeling rather bloated! I'm going to have to go buy something to fix this situation. I think I overdid the cheese this weekend :-)
Fatlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

lulu, I do it all the time. LOL. That can have a huge impact especially if you are losing slowly. What works the best for me is smooth move tea. I drink it and then the next day I just go normally.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #251  

Lulu, I do the same thing, lol! I started taking psyllium husks, two pills twice a day, and probiotics, twice a day. It's only been about 2 days, but there is definitely a difference.

Kitty, thanks for that info (on the carbs). Now I don't feel so bad about not getting all my carbs in.

Last edited by Lnm130; 02-22-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #252  

S/C/G: 166/166/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks forth suggestions! I'm going out at lunch today in search of that tea and psyllium husks. :-)
Fatlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #253  

I generally take inulin or Benefiber in my first cup of coffee of the day. That usually helps.

Mark Sisson of The Primal Blueprint says 50-100 carbs is the ideal fat burning zone. Above that is maintenance. Below 50 carbs should not be done for more than a day or two with sufficient protein, fats, and supplements. He is in favor of getting all of those carbs from veggies and fruit. Something I think Jorge's Fast Track is leaning toward.

Finding over 50 carbs from veggies and fruits while watching sugars is tough!!!

Is anyone only doing veggies and fruits and reaching 50-100 carbs while staying below 15 grams of sugar?

If so, what are you eating?
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #254  

Default Warning! Do Not Give Up Grains Lightly!

WARNING!

Do not give up grains lightly, unless you think it is something you are willing to do long term. I went on the original Atkins for 6 months and avoided grains. When I went off of it, I could no longer eat wheat without it having adverse effects. I think I may be intolerant of other grains, as well.

Eating out is a hassle, though there is more awareness of wheat intolerances. Being entertained by friends is even more problematic. Wheat is EVERYWHERE!

If you do decide to give up grains to lose weight, but hope to eat them again when you are slimmer, make sure you have CHEAT DAYS where you eat them at least a few times per month.

You do not want to end up like I did, ALWAYS having to watch what you eat.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #255  

So instead of counting servings, would you count actual carbs? Because that would get confusing.

Still stuck at 170.6...granted its only been a couple days. At least I know that it's my actual weight, not just water weight.

EDIT: I don't think I could ever give up grains, I just don't think I would be successful really.

Last edited by Lnm130; 02-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.