Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I never went through the not hungry part. I guess I would describe it as satisfied. If I'm hungry I eat something on plan. I eat at least every three hours. Before I got the BFC book I bought Jorge's Three Hour Diet Book which dealt with balancing blood sugar levels.

I eat bacon all the time. I think some of the tastier meats are the higher sodium ones. I think that as you adjust your eating things will taste different. I had a couple slices of deli ham today for lunch and it tasted way too salty. I do like the hard salami though. I never feel the urge to salt anything any more. The only draw back to eating higher sodium foods would be some water weight. Which I think balances out in the end. When I look at the sodium level of all those diet sodas I drank whew.

It's nice to see so many new people. You bring energy to the thread.

Txalupa it's good to see you back.

Last edited by kittycarlson; 02-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #122  

dancingfish,

For one of your Super Bowl snacks you can make Amber's cauliflower crust pizza. You can find the recipe on her blog www.meandjorge.com. Some suggestions if you choose to make this. Use a pan with sides. Never use a pizza pan with holes for browning the crust. The easiest way to grate the cauliflower is using the grater blade on a food processor. (I started out grating it by hand but was afraid for my knuckles.) You can make the crust ahead, then top when needed.

Cucumbers make good dippers. One of my friend's blanches asparagus for her veggie trays. Pepper slices. Mushroom slices.

Some of the Nut Thins are relatively low carb. 23 carbs, 0 sugars for 16 of the almond crackers, for example. You can check the different varieties out on-line.

You can also stuff mushrooms with something interesting.

Who are you rooting for?
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #123  

kittycarlson,

I'm in NH. Thankfully, the midweek storm only dropped 6 very heavy inches on us, rather than the 18-20 that they were originally predicting. However, we're suppose to be getting more snow late tomorrow.

I am not sure I've been kind to Ferguson. I got to the egg white omelet and counting coffee, if you add cream, as a snack, and took a break from reading it.

I'll have to look at it again when I'm feeling more open-minded.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #124  

Ferguson - Installment 3

Always eat within 1/2 hour of getting up. (exceptions and rules to follow if exercising then)

Always eat at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs per meal.

You may have 3 snacks per day of 100 to 200 calories each.

You may actually eat one whole egg if female, the rest should be egg whites.

Slightly better. But I'm still wondering about the coffee.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/137

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Ferguson - Installment 3

You may actually eat one whole egg if female, the rest should be egg whites.

Slightly better. But I'm still wondering about the coffee.
Sorry, deetermined2 to be nosy, but what is this? Is it part of bfc? I do feel (for me) that one whole egg plus however many egg whites is a good idea. I love eating the bfc way, but the multitude of whole eggs I think would raise my cholesterol if I ate them every day.

On another note, just have to cheer myself on about the sweets in the house. My husband and oldest son buy sweets and a lot of them. I used to always give in and have ONE and one turned into a whole bag, it seemed. Somehow eating how we eat, I have no interest in the ONE they offer me. I know if I ate just ONE, I would still eat the whole bag. Temptation is hard sometimes. We are going through some stress right now (middle son has CP and got the worst of our flu and always takes a long time to recover) and I don't seem to be emotionally eating like I used to. Hooray! Before I would graze on a bag of chips or whatever until they were done because of stress. Maybe it is all of the cleanup I am having to do because of his flu? I don't have time to think of eating? I don't know, but I like this mini-milestone!
TheSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #126  
Shopgirl2011

S/C/G: 251.5/251.5/199 (Goal #1)

Height: 5'8"

Help! I made the BFC shake for more fiber, and it has 52.5 gms of carbs!! The psyllium husk I have is 5 gms carbs per TEASPOON...the shake calls for 2.5 Tablespoons. So I have used up almost half my carbs for the day on this shake. Also it is 37 grams of fiber! Is that a lot at one time?

Does anyone have a rec for psyllium husk?? I bought a big jar of the GNC Colon Pure. Do they all have that many carbs??

I made it with the Sobe water. I could use plain water which will cut 15 carbs but that is still a lot.

I am back up 1.5 lbs. I attribute it to needing more fiber, water, and that I was over in sugars.

Last edited by Shopgirl2011; 02-05-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Shopgirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 173.5/151/130

Height: 5.4

So if I am reading this right-- a whole cucumber is 4 sugars and 1 carb-- and 4 spears of asparagus is only 1 sugar???

The problem is mushrooms-- nothing in the book for plain old white mushrooms and the 5 they have listed are all different!

ohh and pasta they have it listed in 2oz-- is that pre-cooked or cooked???

Sometimes all this drives me nuts...

off to check out the califlower pizza reciepe
dancingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #128  

Shopgirl2011,

37 grams of fiber is a lot! Even the more extreme fiber diets usually aim for 35 grams per day, versus 37 in one drink.

TheSquirrel,
Ferguson is another WOE that has some things in common with BFC and some things that are not. I've plateaued and am looking to find a way to make BFC more effective for me. Therefore, I'm looking for tweaks to BFC. Ferguson focuses on food combining for optimal weight loss. As stated, he suggests at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs per meal. Those numbers put the carbs somewhere around Jorge Cruise's per meal, though Jorge doesn't emphasize a minimum number of grams of protein per meal even though reasonable amounts are recommended.

kittycarlson and I've been exploring ways to speed up results, and we've been looking anywhere we can, and sharing what we've found.

You can ignore anything related to Ferguson.

That being said, I plan on incorporating some of Ferguson's suggestions into BFC, hoping that they help break my plateau.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #129  

Hi everybody, 37 grams of fiber is HUGE especially if you have been eating a lot less than that. For some reason lots of fiber constipates me. I know Jorge doesn't figure net carbs but supposedly the carbs in that type of fiber aren't digestible so if you can handle it I wouldn't worry about the carb part. You could probably subtract the fiber from the carbs. The amount left a lot of nutitionist consider to be NET Carbs. I think the reasoning for not counting them usually would be to not get too many carbs per day by shaving off fiber to have larger servings.

There was an article in the paper yesterday about new food recommendations. They separated the amount of fiber for men and women. I think women under fifty-one were recommended to get 25 grams and women over fifty-one were recommended to get 21 grams. Men were more in line with Jorge's recommendation.

Dancingfish check online nutritional sites for the mushrooms or anything else you can't find. I usually just type in mushrooms nutrition or whatever on the search bar and it bring up various sites.

I'm happy to say that my weight dropped back down to 196 today when I weighed which was my post holiday low. Maybe I can squeeze another LB off before I go back to work on Monday AM. I'd like to see 195. Even if I am stalled I see myself as eating really well and maintaining my loss so I really can't complain.

I have a confession to make. I was at the store yesterday and saw Carb Smart Bars which I had seen advertised. They have spenda and sugar alcohols. Well anyway I proved to myslf what I already knew and that is as soon as I ate something like that I really started craving more. When will I learn.

Last edited by kittycarlson; 02-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #130  
Shopgirl2011

S/C/G: 251.5/251.5/199 (Goal #1)

Height: 5'8"

If I look at the label of my physillium, a serving is one "rounded" teaspoon.
1 rounded teaspoon=5 g carb and 5 g fiber.

So maybe 2.5 T would not quite be 37 gms of fiber? Has anyone else tried making this shake?

Last edited by Shopgirl2011; 02-05-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Shopgirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #131  

Yes when I first started I bought the husks and drank it about three times. It got thick really fast and made me gag.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #132  

First, I finally broke my plateau. Down 1 pound. Yeah!!!

This just before we go out to an all I can't eat buffet with friends. How ironic.

I like plain Benefiber in terms of texture and taste. I add it to my morning coffee, and it thickens it ever the slightest bit. Though I'm out and keep forgetting to buy more. In the meantime, I've been using the unsweetened Metamucil which is made from inulin. When I looked that up, it said it is usually a vegetable fiber made from chicory root, the operative word being usually.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #133  

This week's tweaks.

Start the morning with a cup of just hot water with a slice of lemon squeezed into it.

Squeeze lemon into my green tea. It's suppose to aid the absorption of whatever I'm trying to absorb. Drink more green tea. I'm not nearly where I should be. I've added another cup or two.

Eat within 1/2 hour of getting up.

Eat at least 15 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs at meals.

Cut back on cheese.

Something worked!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #134  
DESTINYRIDER

S/C/G: 253.6/253.6/187

Height: 509

Default Do I need to stick to the menu's in the book?

I am in my 3rd day of BFC and I have just been doing my own menus using the 15/6 is this ok or am I supposed to do a menu Jorge has in the book and later branch off. I really want this to work for me.
destinyscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 185/179/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi all! Thanks for the welcome and advice! I'm on day 5 and have never used any of jorge's meals...just make them up. I'm down 6 pounds!!! I am never hungry and don't have any cravings and have even exceeded my alcohol alotment...by a lot...this weekend! YAY!!!! I am so doing the happy dance.
shetide1 is offline   Reply With Quote