Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #316  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Can't believe I never realized this before but I found a new "bread" choice last week. Saw some Holland Rusk in the store - got curious, one piece is only 30 calories. It's about the size of an english muffin, very dry & crisp. I used to eat them when we were stationed in Holland, just never looked at calories. They were with the cookies & crackers. Not as much nutrition as my usual double fiber bread, but a nice change of pace. They're imported by Reese.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Holland-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Last edited by Meemo; 07-22-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #317  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelish View Post
Personal note: still plateaued, trying to watch every little thing just like in the beginning. I saw the male counsoler yesterday and he really tried. We looked at my food log and really the only suggestions there were cut down on the cheese and weigh and measure everything. But, he gave me a lot of great ideas with new foods to cook etc. He also printed off the recipes from the most recent cooking class, I will post them here, they were for chinese food Yummm!!

Quick question - I'm thinking about adding either MRC6 or Enhancer...(they have both in a 30 day trial size) anyway what would you suggest! Thanks
When I plateau, I cut out the cheese and it usually helps.... Could luck.

I take both the MRC6 and the Enhancer, but if I had to pick one.... try the Enhancer.... it's a thermogenic. That would help kick up your metabolism...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #318  
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in grad school View Post
Oh, I almost forgot. One of my professors looked at me today, cocked his head, and said, "You're literally disappearing!"
Congratulations!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #319  
Judy

S/C/G: 174/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Bummer!

Dang! WI today and I was the same AGAIN! At this rate, I will never get to stabilization with those last 11 lbs.

I was measured again and am down another 8.25 inches, for a total of 45 inches. BMI was at 25.5 but the damn body fat is still at 35.5%, even with staying strictly on plan (except for the lentils and nectarine screw up). I know, I know...I keep preaching that the scale isn't the only way to measure success, but it is sure a bummer when the darn thing doesn't move!:

And I don't even feel better after ranting and raving here.

Judy
Gma to 4
Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #320  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/125ish

Height: 5'2''

Wow everyone was busy posting today - took me a minute to catch up.... went for my very first WI, and I lost 1.5 pounds !!!! My ticker wont show the .5 though ! Anyway, I was happy to see even a teeny loss. I go Friday for my first class and will get my NHS then too. Ok I can do this!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #321  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma to 4 View Post
Dang! WI today and I was the same AGAIN! At this rate, I will never get to stabilization with those last 11 lbs.

I was measured again and am down another 8.25 inches, for a total of 45 inches. BMI was at 25.5 but the damn body fat is still at 35.5%, even with staying strictly on plan (except for the lentils and nectarine screw up). I know, I know...I keep preaching that the scale isn't the only way to measure success, but it is sure a bummer when the darn thing doesn't move!:

And I don't even feel better after ranting and raving here.

Judy
Gma to 4
Oh boy, you sound like me as I s-l-o-w-l-y work my way out of the 180's. In my head I KNOW not to get concerned about it, but I guess we are so conditioned to live by the scale numbers! Congrats on those inches, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmemom View Post
Wow everyone was busy posting today - took me a minute to catch up.... went for my very first WI, and I lost 1.5 pounds !!!! My ticker wont show the .5 though ! Anyway, I was happy to see even a teeny loss. I go Friday for my first class and will get my NHS then too. Ok I can do this!!!

***YEA***
Good for you! That's a great start to the program!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #322  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 206/187.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Two dumb questions:
1. Do you weigh your meat before or after you cook it?
2. How do you boil an egg? I know...I know...is there anything easier than boiling an egg? The answer is YES! I have never been able to get the shell off of an egg that I've boiled without destroying the egg. I know this is user error because boiled eggs from the cafeteria come out of their shells quite nicely.
These are not dumb questions at all! I had this same question at my first class and this is what they told me to do: weigh everything, meat and veggies, after they have been cooked. I remember this because I remember thinking, I better measure fast before the food gets cold lol.

As for the eggs, I think that is the effect of over-boiling, I know I have made the same mistake before. But I'm not an expert at boiling eggs to be honest! I just put the eggs in water and boil until I think they are done, then put them in cold running water until they are cool enough to eat, or just put them in the fridge.

(5 minutes later) Ok so I was curious about the eggs so I looked it up:

Mr. Breakfast's How to Boil An Egg
The following instructions are for large eggs.
HARD-BOILED
Note: Extremely fresh eggs are not recommended when making hard-boiled eggs. They are very difficult to peel. This is the best use for eggs (ah ha that explains it! I never knew!!)

1. Remove desired number of eggs from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. Place eggs in a small sauce pan and add just enough water to completely cover eggs. (Note: the smaller the pan; the less room the eggs have to jump around and crack into each other).
3. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Covering the pan will lead to a quicker boil and is recommended.
4. Immediately reduce heat to simmer and remove the cover from the pan.
5. Let the eggs sit in the simmering water for 12 minutes. (11 minutes for medium eggs; 13 minutes extra-large eggs)
6. Carefully remove the pan from the stove top and place beneath the kitchen faucet. Run cool water into the pan for a minute until the water is cool to the touch. Give each egg a little whack to the side of the pan, so each egg has one or two cracks. Some will tell you that this lets pent-up sulphur escape. More practically, this allows a little steam to build between the cooked egg and its shell to make peeling easier. Let the eggs sit in the cool water for 2 to 5 minutes.
7. To peel the Mr Breakfast way: Place hard-boiled egg on a hard surface such as a cutting board. Roll the egg back and forth - applying a very slight amount of pressure. Remove the cracked shell beneath a faucet of cool running water.
8. If peeling multiple eggs, place peeled eggs in a bowl of cold water while you work the others. Refrigerating peeled eggs is not recommended. Hard-boiled eggs - still in their shell - can be stored in a refrigerator for 5 days.

Quick & Dirty Method Of Hard-Boiling

When Mr Breakfast was in college, a vibrant yellow yolk wasn't nearly as important to him as chasing skirts and getting stoned on beer. I - me being him - would simply bring water to a boil, place my eggs in the water and remove them all when the first crack appeared in any one of the eggs. The eggs would naturally be slightly over-cooked. But the negative effect of slight-overcooking was one of appearance. The yolk was more of an off-yellow, just-short-of-green color. The eggs still tasted great.

What's Up With Green Yolks? Is That Bad?

A greenish grey film will form on the surface of the yolk when the temperature of the yolk exceeds 158 degrees Fahrenheit. This discoloration is not unhealthful. It's just a visual indicator of a natural chemical reaction... hydrogen sulphide from amino acids in the white of your egg (or albumen) is reacting with iron from the yolk which causes a film of ferrous sulphide to form on the yolk's surface. If the film is thin, your egg will still taste fine.

Why Do You Say Fresh Eggs Are Harder To Peel Than Older Ones?

I'm not a scientist, in the pompous go-to-science-college sense of the word, but I have a theory. Egg shells are what those fancy scientists call "porous". Basically, that means it has tiny microscopic holes that allow the egg to absorb air. I believe that the air that enters the egg over time creates - what I call - "a little wall of air" between the egg and its shell. Super fresh eggs have hardly any little wall of air at all. Therefore, the egg is all smooshed up against the shell. In the end, it's like a shoe. A tight shoe is hard to remove. A shoe with some room slips right off. Wow, maybe I am a scientist. Is there a test I can take?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #323  
Jennifer

Wow you all are too busy for words. Just one day and there have been about 5 pages of posts, I feel so behind!

Meemo - I'm so glad you caught yourself and re-started. You always have the best advice, I have definitely learned a lot from you.

DKriley - WOW what a difference! You look wonderful!!

Quote:
Strawberry-I just looked at Bariatricchoice (recommended by Crystal) and they have the tomato supplement. I also asked about it when I stopped in my center this past weekend, and they told me that the current tomato supplement is in the process of being replaced by a new and improved version.
Oh cool, thanks for thinking of me! Ordering from Bariatricchoice is on my to-do list, I just bought 5 more boxes at the center for $58 ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoredonuts4me View Post
I ran a 10K for father's day, and plan on running a half-marathon in September. Who would have thunk. Me running a half-marathon! Can someone pinch me? Alright, back to the lurker's closet for me. TTFN
I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to be a runner - I mean, how many 'fluffy' runners to do you see out there? LOL. BTW have you ever read any books by that penguin guy - 'the courage to start' I think is the name of one of them. I have 2 of his books, started to read both of them but never finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTUCKLY View Post
Ok so now that I found out u have to drink the supplement before food and not just 10 & 2 I feel full!!!!! Wow.....lol
Yup, you can drink them right before, during, or right after. And then you can add them in between meals too, up to your maximum allowed. If you are on the yellow or blue menu, you have to have at least 2 a day, for breakfast and lunch. Then you can also have up to 3 more, in-between the meals. I'm happy to hear you are feeling full now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigan View Post
So you guys are drinking soda other than the Diet Rite? Or does Diet Rite hav a root beer flavor? I am not a fan of their cola. Maybe I just need to get going on this program more before I can start drinking normal diet/caffeine free cola?
This has already been answered already but the other soda that we can have is diet Hanson's, I find it at Hyvee in the health food section. As for Diet Rite, I have found that the black cherry flavor is the best. I don't like the raspberry and the tangerine/orangey one is ok. Those are the only 3 flavors I've tried. I'm not a huge cola drinker, I used to drink coke zero but it was mostly for the caffeine.

Judy - Don't be discouraged, remember that plateau's are not only normal but are to be expected! Look at all those inches you are losing, even when the scale doesn't show a loss! Our bodies have to 'catch up' to the weight loss. Hang in there!!

theycallmemom - congrats on the loss!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #324  
Jennifer

A quick update on me - I went to weigh in yesterday morning and I was up a half (.5) pound. Well what else could I expect when I had cheated, even if it was a small cheat, every day last week. Funny how you can let stress get to you huh. I never told you all what all is going on in my life, right now I am not only working full time and taking 2 classes, but I am also planning a trip to go see my family in Alaska... and, they are all spread out, from Minto (north of Fairbanks) to Homer (south of Anchorage) and... well it's a long story, but it's been pretty stressful trying to plan this trip!!!!!

In other news, I've been totally OP today. I want to lose at least a few more pounds before my trip, on August 10th, so I'm trying to stay focused.

Namaste, I'm going to read your blog as soon as I get home! I can't wait, I read just a little bit and it looks good!!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #325  
Bonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
Good Morning! Thank you for all of the wonderful compliments!!!! Peer inspiration was wonderful. I've included the speech on my 3fatchicks blog. Here is the link. I was going to paste it, but it's really really long!
Thanks for all of your support, everyone. I couldn't have done it without you!
Denise

http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/nam.../22/my-speech/
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story, Denise! I loved your promise to do yourself no harm - so much that I'm adopting it as my own

Last edited by bomaze; 07-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #326  
Bonnie

A NSV to share with ya'll today...Had a great day today in our beautiful Colorado sunshine. I went with friends to a small water park with a couple of water slides (H2 O'Briens in Parker, for the locals). Last year, I sat like a bump on a log because I felt like a big blob. This year, my legs will be tired tomorrow from the 20+ times I ran up the stairs to race my kids down the water slides. What a difference 50 pounds makes! I'm sunbaked, tired and hungry but happy! Off to go make dinner...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #327  
Shannon

Can we have grated Parmesan cheese? It would be hard to measure out a sprinkle. I think it would be great on the cooked veggies with some seasonings.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #328  
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaze View Post
A NSV to share with ya'll today...Had a great day today in our beautiful Colorado sunshine. I went with friends to a small water park with a couple of water slides (H2 O'Briens in Parker, for the locals). Last year, I sat like a bump on a log because I felt like a big blob. This year, my legs will be tired tomorrow from the 20+ times I ran up the stairs to race my kids down the water slides. What a difference 50 pounds makes! I'm sunbaked, tired and hungry but happy! Off to go make dinner...
Water Park!!!! That is on my freedom list! LOVIN' it!!! So happy for you!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #329  
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaze View Post
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story, Denise! I loved your promise to do yourself no harm - so much that I'm adopting it as my own
You're welcome, thank you! That quote is open for all.... adopt away!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #330  
Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
A quick update on me - I went to weigh in yesterday morning and I was up a half (.5) pound. Well what else could I expect when I had cheated, even if it was a small cheat, every day last week. Funny how you can let stress get to you huh. I never told you all what all is going on in my life, right now I am not only working full time and taking 2 classes, but I am also planning a trip to go see my family in Alaska... and, they are all spread out, from Minto (north of Fairbanks) to Homer (south of Anchorage) and... well it's a long story, but it's been pretty stressful trying to plan this trip!!!!!

In other news, I've been totally OP today. I want to lose at least a few more pounds before my trip, on August 10th, so I'm trying to stay focused.

Namaste, I'm going to read your blog as soon as I get home! I can't wait, I read just a little bit and it looks good!!
Back on plan! Congratulations! You can totally make it my the time of your trip, no problem. Stay focused on the goal!
Closed Thread