Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #301  

Inspiring post, Dagmar. I made a hummus that was about 1/3 steamed broccoli to 2/3 garbanzos on Sunday. Then I ate it all last night, like 2 cups worth. I was grateful for the broccoli content. It was really delicious.

The few lbs I though I had put on temporarily were solidified by the holiday weekend. Dang! But oh, well. That's how it goes. It's not too much, I'm only 1.5 lbs above "top healthy weight" now. It's funny how it feels so urgent and desperate! That said, my joints would be happy with me if I could end up 10 lbs less.

I'm feeling a little "stuck" with my self care. I'm not doing any exercise, other than walking to and from the bus stop to work (1.5 mile round trip). It doesn't feel like enough, but I haven't found an option for working out that I like. It's hard to be willing to invest the time, with so many other things I'd like to be doing.
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #302  
Workin' It

Well, back from two weeks with vacation and Thanksgiving and up about five pounds from before I left. Back on track this week - water, logging food, keep on keeping on. I did do my yoga and headspace every day while on vacation and exercised every day last week, so that is good.

Georgette - I have found that I have to take the time even when I want to be (or feel like I should be) doing other things. It helps me to actually put the exercise time with an activity listed on my calendar.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #303  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Shannon on this! Exercise has to be scheduled like any other appointment, or it's too easy to skip.

My weight stayed the same over the holiday weekend. It's still "too high," of course, but for me, not gaining is always a win.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #304  

JayEll, Shannon, you make very good points. I definitely need to schedule exercise for it to happen! When I decide what I want to do, that will be the thing! Going to check out gym class schedules now...

OK, I did that and the old problem came up...I don't want to give up my morning "me time", but I feel bad being gone longer during the day. My husband is a stay-at-home dad, and every extra thing I do weighs heavily on me.

I know I'll figure something out.

Last edited by Georgette; 11-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #305  
Workin' It

Georgette - I feel you on the not wanting to give up the "me time" in the morning, I really do. I HATE getting up and around earlier to exercise, but, I also don't want to take time away from family time in the evenings. So, I had to choose to use my me time to do yoga and exercise in the mornings. You may find yourself having to make that same choice, or finding a way to work around the weight of being out longer during the day. Good luck, not the easiest thing either way.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-28-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #306  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Winter weather has arrived here and I'm really hungry after a day outside in the cold. The usual afternoon snack of 2 samosas is not doing it for me. I've ordered 4 boxes of a protein bar that works for me https://www.simplyprotein.ca/. These bars are not as sweet as granola bars, nor do they have any kind of "chocolate" or other coating. I find they get me through that 5 p.m. "must have dinner NOW or die" time. Much better than a hit of caffeine which will then mess up my sleep/wake time.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #307  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Georgette-- I agree you have to schedule your workouts. I understand you don't want to take away family time. Working out at home works well for me. I get up at 4:45 and do 30ish minutes of cardio or dancing before work. After work, I do longer workouts and follow particular programs. I use Beachbody on Demand which I stream to my TV and they have hundreds of workouts, but there are other similar ones out there too, depending on what you want.

I just restarted 80 day obsession (finished day 3 yesterday) and I forgot how sore I am when I do the program! I already feel much less fluffy. I've also started using the LoseIt app and loving it, so hopefully dialing in my nutrition will also help. It's amazing to me the difference 10 pounds looks on my body and how it makes me feel.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #308  
Workin' It

Michele - I started a new program on Monday, also. Yesterday I was having a hard time sitting down and standing back up. It is amazing how fast it gets us, isn't it?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #309  

I'm fortunate in that my job is exercise every day. I also find the yoga/stretching enjoyable and do that willingly 3-4 times a week. But I find I really have to force myself to do the additional weight training sessions twice a week. I picked 2 days and have stuck to doing each workout on these 2 days. No other sports in winter - too tired.

Dagmar
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #310  

Acch! The forum ate my post! Darn.

Inspiring to hear how you all make your workouts work with your schedules. I know you are all correct, that scheduling is the key to doing.

I put a "want ad" on the neighborhood facebook page, looking for a morning walking buddy, but no takers. I'm thinking now about joining a gym for the winter months. Seems silly, since all I would be doing there is walking, but I know that if I pay for it, I will do it. We can afford it, but I still don't like the expense.

Nighttime eating has been a recurrent problem for me. Last night, I made something that was fairly low cal to much on through a movie. But I also had 3 cocktails. That's just plain too much. Might be time to revisit the whine and rage thread?

Never giving up!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #311  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar and others who live in the cold climates-- I will be going to the Grand Canyon for the first time ever over Christmas Break. I didn't realize how cold it is there!! I am not a fan of cold whatsoever!! And I don't have clothes for it. What do you recommend that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Preferably something I can buy on Amazon for shopping ease. I bought some boots at Marshalls that are all weather so I think I'm good there. I know we are taking a walking tour so I will be outside....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #312  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If you're going to be out walking, you need some serious outdoor wear! Windproof gloves, a warm hat, a hood on your coat to go over that. You need a scarf as well, one that you can wrap around not only neck, but up over nose and mouth if needed. Look into lined pants as well. And heavy socks. Your clothes should be windproof as well as warm. Try for a Thinsulate-lined coat, if they still make that.

I faced a similar problem when I moved to Massachusetts years ago from California. I had grown up in the Rockies, but had forgotten what real cold is like.

You can always use these items again when you go on a winter trip!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #313  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Dagmar and others who live in the cold climates-- I will be going to the Grand Canyon for the first time ever over Christmas Break. I didn't realize how cold it is there!! I am not a fan of cold whatsoever!! And I don't have clothes for it. What do you recommend that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Preferably something I can buy on Amazon for shopping ease. I bought some boots at Marshalls that are all weather so I think I'm good there. I know we are taking a walking tour so I will be outside....
I buy a lot of my outdoor gear from LL Bean. You might want to look at their site for inspiration and examples and then get stuff from Amazon if you prefer. I rely on light hiking boots in fall/spring for footwear, Smart Wool socks, and layers in the colder weather. Since I'm outside with dogs there is no style or fashionability (cromulent word yes?) to my outfits. I wear cotton blends next to my skin, fleece outside that, and Gortex jacket and pants on top. The cotton blends aren't necessarily the best thing but that is my preference as I don't like moisture wicking synthetics next to my skin. I wear wind resistant fleece gloves of several different weights, depending on how cold it is. I think they used to be sold in running gear stores but the last batch I think I got on Amazon.

Dagmar
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #314  

Had my first "controlled" portion of chips last night. Put about 1/2 the bag into a bowl and sealed up and put the rest back in the cupboard. Didn't go back for the rest of the bag.

Dagmar :
Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #315  

Dagmar, I'm interested to hear how your chips experiment goes over time. My dream is to be able to eat all foods without being dysfunctional with them!

Michele, what's the occasion for the trip? I have never seen the Grand Canyon. I've seen the Eiffel tower, Angkor Watt, and the Amazon Basin, but never the Grand Canyon! Being from a mild climate similar to yours, I can't advise you, but I can commiserate. I hate being cold.

I have fun news! My girlfriend asked me to officiate her shotgun wedding on the 21st of this month. She is 41, first time being pregnant, this will be her 2nd marriage. She wants a tiny private ceremony, and she told me "we're going to do it at the courthouse unless you know someone who can officiate." I officiated for my SILs 5 yrs ago, and do lots of public speaking, I offered, and she and her man have officially asked me! It's going to be at 3pm on the solstice on her cousin's tree farm. So fun!

I came to a realization that I mentioned over at my whine and rage thread. Before bed is an anxious time for me for some reason. I do not do well with transitions historically. For example, I often have mood problems right after transitioning from work to home. I never really noticed that this is happening for me at bedtime too, which is what is feeding the drive to over-eat and over-drink at bedtime. Now that I have named it, I hope it's going to be easier to cope with. So far, so good. I'm noticing when I'm trying to stretch out the transition in the kitchen, and then I've been able to do something else.