Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Michele, I think of her often. <3

I'm here. It has been a tiring week so far, but I'm making it.
Shannon !

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I think of Saef too, but I think more often of everyone still posting! I'm enjoying our long stretch of perfect fall weather, although it's not helping the drought here. My food has been mostly good except for yesterday. My weight is stable but I'm not losing the 3-4 pounds I'd like to get rid of. Placing the peanut butter in the bedroom closet has worked. Now I am going to write a note on the cabinet to remind myself how lousy I feel when I eat crackers or other snacks at night. I think the upcoming midterm elections have me on edge.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #243  
Workin' It

Alice - I've been nothing but on edge since November 2016. Srsly, I gained 20 pounds in the three months after the election. It would never work for me to move the peanut butter or snacks to the bedroom closet. Though, as I think about it, I might move the pretzels to the office closet that we keep locked for Christmas gifts for the boy storage. Or, just throw them right out. I've not done well with them the last two weeks.

We went down on Monday for my grandmother's 85th birthday. Her dementia has gotten worse, so she repeated herself and asked a lot of the same questions, but she did have a great birthday over and over. They had a little party for her with some of her friends. She was so excited.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a big snacker these days. Usually if I want something I'll eat a dozen pistachios and that is enough. That said, I have this recipe for nacho cheese dip that sounds so wonderful I ended up buying a bag of tortilla chips last weekend. I haven't made the dip so the chips have not been opened. My DD and possibly SIL are coming tonight (homecoming game at her high school) and she may stay for a few days. That might mean making the dip for sharing.

DD has applied for two teaching positions. One in Bellingham, WA and one somewhere in Wisconsin. Being from the southwest desert both will be a huge change. She has her first interview in early November for the WI job. She sounds like she's excited for that because housing costs there are a lot less than California or WA and they might be able to afford a house. I just worry about how they'll handle the snow.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

What would dd be teaching, Allison? And what level? High school, college? Hubby can move with his job?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #246  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
What would dd be teaching, Allison? And what level? High school, college? Hubby can move with his job?
Truthfully, I am not sure. She is currently teaching one class in communication at her alma mater, Cal State Fullerton. Her PhD is going to be in evaluation studies which is a kind of psychology. She does work currently in evaluating after school studies to see how well they are serving the students (usually elementary level students).
Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Where in Wisconsin? Some parts are better than others, I'm sure. I once thought about moving to Madison, WI, but the winters were killers.

Bellingham is where I spend the hot part of our desert summer. It's so close to a whole lot of fun places. Lots of hiking places, lots of biking trails, the Alaska Ferry leaves from there, Canada is less than an hour away, Seattle is close (can take the train both places), a wonderful Farmer's Market, museums, plenty of parks, San Juan Islands are close as is Whidbey Island, ski area an hour away. Yes, it probably rains more in the winter, but better that than snow, IMHO.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:24 AM   #248  

I prefer snow to rain. You can have a lot of fun in snow. Not so much in rain. And driving is not difficult once you get snow tires and have a bit of appropriate instruction.

Dagmar
Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #249  

We went to my FIL's funeral yesterday. It was a quite social event and I caught up a bit with both of DH's sisters and one of DH's nephews and one of his aunts. We did a bit of a pig out when we got home. We are both introverts and it's hard to be so social for any extended length of time. I find I'm always tempted to eat after an event and this time I gave in.

Back on the wagon today for me. Christmas is coming and I have a goal in mind for DH's office party on Dec. 14. It involves a pair of black velvet jeans which I can barely button at this point. :

Dagmar
Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #250  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Back in the late '90s, snow ceased to be fun... thus our move to Florida 17 years ago. There is, however, this problem with heat and humidity here. I'm happy to report that the temps are finally cooling off here--it's been summer for too long this year.

Weight remains steady for me. Generally, I don't restrict and I don't indulge. One can't go off the rails if one is not on rails to begin with. I'm still holding on to the idea of a downward trend, though.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #251  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Where in Wisconsin? Some parts are better than others, I'm sure. I once thought about moving to Madison, WI, but the winters were killers.

Bellingham is where I spend the hot part of our desert summer. It's so close to a whole lot of fun places. Lots of hiking places, lots of biking trails, the Alaska Ferry leaves from there, Canada is less than an hour away, Seattle is close (can take the train both places), a wonderful Farmer's Market, museums, plenty of parks, San Juan Islands are close as is Whidbey Island, ski area an hour away. Yes, it probably rains more in the winter, but better that than snow, IMHO.
Menomonie. I don't know what university it is there that she has the interview with. She's excited but not certain she'll get either job. And if she doesn't, she has other avenues to pursue.
My neighbor behind us has their summer home on Whidbey Island. She posts some beautiful photos of wildlife there.

We moved from snow county at age 27 and have never looked back. Yes the summer heat here can be oppressive, but at least it's a dry heat most of the time (we do have a monsoon season that gives us a little humidity but little rain).
Old 10-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #252  

I don't think there's anywhere in Canada that you can really get away from the snow. Parts of the west coast I suppose. Apparently it's rainy and gray there a lot of the time.

Going out to dinner with my cousins tonite. Mexican food. Should be fun.

Dagmar
Old 10-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #253  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good Samhain to you all--the beginning of winter for the Gaelic peoples. It begins at sundown.

Try to stay out of the sugar! It's never a good thing. I have succumbed already at my chiropractor's office, where treats were in evidence.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #254  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Trying hard to avoid it all at work. So much willpower.... must. stay. strong.....

The team that is in the room next to my library just invited me to their delicious lunch they brought. I didn't succumb. yet. They have the most amazing looking chocolate chip cookies (not to mention other stuff). I took one cookie for dh and hope to stay away from the rest.

Looking forward to dh being home for Halloween so we can pass out candy. When he's away, I can't manage the dogs and the candy. So, tonight I'll get to see the cuties in costume :-)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #255  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Trying hard to avoid it all at work. So much willpower.... must. stay. strong.....

The team that is in the room next to my library just invited me to their delicious lunch they brought. I didn't succumb. yet. They have the most amazing looking chocolate chip cookies (not to mention other stuff). I took one cookie for dh and hope to stay away from the rest.

Looking forward to dh being home for Halloween so we can pass out candy. When he's away, I can't manage the dogs and the candy. So, tonight I'll get to see the cuties in costume :-)
I am dog wrangling tonite while hubby gives out the treats. We change it up every year. I had a crown put on at the dentist yesterday so I'm not eating any of the leftover candy. Fear of damaging the crown seems to be working!

Dagmar