Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

It's Sunday morning here Georgette, here's hoping today goes on plan for you, In fact, I know you can make it so! Feel strong! Choose to stay on plan! OK end of pep talk, but we all need it once in a while. I need to reign in my fresh nut habit. We buy around $7-800 of freshly harvested nuts at this time of year and store them in the cold room. Problem is, the cold room is also our ingress/egress point during the fall and winter to keep most of the bad weather out of the rest of the house. And how easy is it to reach into the boxes and bags for a handful after we pull our shoes off? TOO EASY!
OK, no more nuts today (or tomorrow, or the day after etc) Once I am used to the idea of them being there whenever we want them, they will become less attractive in the moment.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #287  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Ugh, travelling michelle, I feel for you, it is -3C here right now (24F) and it would suck having no heat at work. The fires in Cali are horrible... we live in an area that also gets major interface & forest fires every year so I can totally empathize.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

We ended up with school cancelled on Friday.
Air is still bad here but dh and I walked yesterday and today. Couldn’t stand being cooped up anymore!
We took the dogs with us today and they acted like fools- they haven’t been out either. It’s interesting because some folks are wearing masks and others are jogging.
The air is definitely making me tired as it’s more of an effort to breathe...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #289  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

First time after a dog sit that I didn't put on any weight. Probably because I didn't watch any TV while there. My clients have two really nice reading chair/lamp/ottomans set up in the living room and i took advantage of that. I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Unsheltered" and liking it! https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...h-end-of-world

Dagmar :
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #290  

Dagmar, I love it when I finally get around to unplugging. It's so good!

Michele, are you getting any reprieve from the smoke yet?

Liana, thanks for the pep talk! I hate calorie counting. I did it for 7 days, then scrapped it to go visit family over the weekend and I haven't picked it back up yet. I'll probably go back to it soon, though.
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #291  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Dagmar, I love it when I finally get around to unplugging. It's so good!

Michele, are you getting any reprieve from the smoke yet?

Liana, thanks for the pep talk! I hate calorie counting. I did it for 7 days, then scrapped it to go visit family over the weekend and I haven't picked it back up yet. I'll probably go back to it soon, though.
All the reprieve in the world.... flew to Texas yesterday for Thanksgiving with the family.
But, yes, as of today we are getting rain for the first time in many months, which should greatly improve the air there.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #292  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA! I won't be online tomorrow.

We are also supposed to get rain tonight. Our air is rated bad too, and it's been hazy, but I'm sure it's nothing like the air farther north. Hooray for rain!

Next week I'm going to Arizona to hike part of the Arizona National Trail in and around Saguaro National Park. One section of the trail can't be done as a day hike because there is no vehicle access for 25 miles, so we'll be doing it as an overnight backpack. It will be my first backpack since I had all my pinched nerve trouble in June and July, so I'm a tad bit apprehensive, but I've been feeling okay. It might be in the 20s where we have to camp, so I need to haul all my cold weather clothes. If the days were longer, I'd try to do the whole thing in one long day, but there is over 4000 feet of elevation gain and I know I can't do that very fast. You can probably tell I'm a little nervous about this trip, but it will be an adventure!

Georgette, I always mess up when I don't count. Good luck sticking to your plan!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #293  
Workin' It

Back from vacation to a hectic week. My husband's estranged father died right at the end of our trip - on our anniversary, actually - and that has created some emotion. Busy week at work - a lot of small things went wrong at work last week, trying to fix those hasn't been going well. Took MIL to a doctor visit yesterday - he basically told us that there is no fix for what is wrong with her. While I knew this, she has been hopeful that there was going to be some magic finding on some of the tests. She has bronchiectasis, decreased volume in her lungs, thickening of her lung and airway walls, all bad things that cause extreme shortness of breath and fatigue. She had some infection early this year, but as of right now there is no active infection. Every doctor who looks at her tests says "looks like xxx infection". Well, it isn't any of them. Basically, we just have to survive it and keep her airway as clear as possible. She's pretty down about it. One more reason for why I have to eat better and keep active now - every doctor tells us that she would be in a better place now if she weighed less or had been more active and built up more endurance before it started. You just never know.

Thanksgiving tomorrow at my grandmother's house - my grandmother with mostly full dementia. I'm a little anxious about how it will go, she times out quickly these days. This is probably the last event we will have at her house. That is making me sad.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate! Safe travels, etc. I'll be back around on Monday.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #294  

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Lots of good living and wisdom here on this thread today.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #295  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

JayEll's tips for a sane Thanksgiving! These are all just about keeping it real.
  1. Avoid pre-meal snacks and drinks. This is a no-brainer. OK, you can have some green olives and maybe some celery... but skip the nuts, chips, beer...
  2. One plate. A full plate. No seconds.
  3. Eat turkey freely--or whatever protein you are having.
  4. Eat root vegetables and starchy vegetables sparingly. I didn't say none, I said sparingly. Yes, mashed potatoes and gravy, but not a double scoop.
  5. Skip the bread. Seriously.
  6. Green vegetables are good! But limit salads dosed with dressing because that's where the calories are. You could just skip that.
  7. For dessert, avoid having a little bit of everything. Choose the dessert you like most, and have a small helping of it. Again, no seconds.
  8. Limit your alcohol intake. Not only is alcohol empty calories, but it destroys your ability to make good choices. Getting a buzz on makes it a lot easier to just toss restraint out the window. You know what I mean.
  9. Focus on what you're thankful for instead of on the food.

Last edited by JayEll; 11-22-2018 at 08:01 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #296  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Such great tips! Just the encouragement I need as too much food is getting prepared in our kitchen.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all. Ours will be a frozen one as the temperature outside is 14 degrees F right now.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:06 AM   #297  

I hope all the Americans enjoyed their Thanksgiving and good luck to those of you seeking Black Friday deals today!

Dagmar
Old 11-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #298  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

JayEll, thank you for the tips! I did #1 and #8. The rest, well, I'll definitely keep them in mind next year!! In fact I will save them and put a reminder on my calendar. Happy Black Friday for those who enjoy such days. I hate shopping, even online shopping.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #299  

I also survived the meal. Yes, I ate my weight in stuffing. This is the food I most look forward to at holidays. But I supplemented it with lots of rutabaga mash and brussell sprouts. I had turkey for protein.

Although I definitely did overeat, it didn't feel out of control. I didn't eat to avoid people. I didn't keep piling food in after I was uncomfortably full. Yay!!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #300  

I went to my local IKEA store yesterday and stocked up on Swedish style Christmas snacks. I tried one of the almond ginger cookies last night and they were pretty awful. Then I ate another 5 or 6 to make sure I seem to crave sweets at the end of the day, rather than the savory things DH and I have been trying to eat for "TV snacks". Last night we had greek yogurt w herbs and we dipped celery sticks into it. It was good but apparently I'm so used to having something sweet in the evening that it'll take a while for my brain to reprogram.

The cookies were also a lot easier to prepare.

I'm going to have to work on this. that's what maintenance is to me - work! But it's worth it.

Dagmar :