Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I need everyone's input. My fitbit died this morning. Should I replace it or not?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #422  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Not.

Do you really need to know your body's "statistics" every second of every day?

What is the upside? Does it actually change your behavior? Does it feel like just one more set of targets that unknown experts tell you you need to meet, thus adding to your stress?

Rant over.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #423  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

I also wouldn't replace the Fitbit. People are usually really gung ho when they get it and then it just peters out (by people I guess I mean me!!!). If you really think it has helped you meet your goals and you haven't become obsessed by the numbers, though, it might be worth it to replace it.

Thanks for the welcomes and hellos!

Today is a day off for me but I'm working overtime 3:30 pm-10pm (I'm a 911 dispatcher in San Diego). I did my weights for today; I try to alternate weights and cardio (that sounds so much better than what I actually end up doing sometimes but I guess the operative word is "try!).

I have had a real problem with sugar since I've been in menopause. I used to like sugar as much as the next person but now I feel like a fiend.

Hope everyone has a great day

Jane

Last edited by greatchoice; 01-26-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: puncuation obsession!
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #424  

I did like how it took the number of steps I took and put it in Chronometer which in turn put it as a negative in my overall calories per day. And I liked how it tracked my sleep. But it was a hassle having to wear it to bed. I think I'll go a few days without to see how it goes. And actually, it wasn't a fitbit but a garmin vivofit. They're pretty inexpensive and you never have to charge it (it goes on one battery until it dies--you can't replace the battery or recharge the battery).
Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #425  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I did like how it took the number of steps I took and put it in Chronometer which in turn put it as a negative in my overall calories per day. And I liked how it tracked my sleep. But it was a hassle having to wear it to bed. I think I'll go a few days without to see how it goes. And actually, it wasn't a fitbit but a garmin vivofit. They're pretty inexpensive and you never have to charge it (it goes on one battery until it dies--you can't replace the battery or recharge the battery).
IMO one less gadget to fuss with and have to maintain.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #426  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchoice View Post

I have had a real problem with sugar since I've been in menopause. I used to like sugar as much as the next person but now I feel like a fiend

Jane
I was binge eating bags of jellybeans and litres of ice cream. I gained 22 lbs. during menopause and most of it was due to sugar consumption. I finally talked to a woman who ran a health food store around the corner from me. The supplements that everyone was taking - black cohosh and one other I don't remember - weren't helping me at all. She advised me to take B12 and more Vitamin C. I did and the huge sugar cravings stopped within about 2 weeks.

Not saying that will work for you - we are all different is the one constant that keeps coming up - but something to think about.

I also found that things with aspartame or the equivalent sweeteners were actually triggering sugar cravings, rather than alleviating them. That one took me a long time to figure out. I was mostly getting those from diet pop. Once I gave up my diet Pepsi - I actually had withdrawal symptoms I was drinking so much of it - the sugar cravings I got from it stopped as well.

The positive about the weight gain was that it did lead me to 3FC and eventually maintenance.

Dagmar
Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #427  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all,

I'm still standing - but just barely. Family life is still too hard, I'm sure you remember the story. It is such a struggle to move through the day, the combination of anxiety and depression is paralyzing. We are also in eternal limbo thanks to the government disaster that calls itself child services. Plus SAD from winter life in the PNW is not helping. The last week or so I've been mindlessly binging and I need to stop, because the last thing I need is another reason to hate myself.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #428  

Hiya, Jane! Like you, I used to post here AGES ago (like in 2003!) and just recently came back looking for a place to land. I've had sugar issues at times. Not now, thank goodness. I think it's like any addictive substance, once you are hooked, the pain of the come-down keeps you using. Maybe going cold-turkey for a while to reset your tolerance?

Alinnel, I started using a fitbit just a bit ago, about 2 mos. I am still enjoying seeing that I've had a lot of steps (or not) and the sleep tracking HAS encouraged me to change my bedtime behavior lately. So, I would replace mine at this point. That said, I think if you have regular habits, you might not need it now.

Hi, JayEll

JZJ, I'm sorry you are suffering. I feel you with the SAD in the PNW. I'm right there with you right now. I don't know your story, but my sis is involved with CPS right now (her adoptive son is too violent to live at home) and there have been times when it has been very very antagonistic with the agency.

As for me, you may remember that I went for about 4 weeks not eating or sleeping. That all seems to have improved, and sadly, along with that, my mood is no longer super elevated and freaky (ok, that's probably a good thing) and now I am settling into seasonal depression. Thank heavens I have a walking partner 3-4 mornings a week, without that I might descend into complete madness!!!! (LOL, it probably wouldn't be that bad.)

Bonus side effect of my mood flare (saw a doc this week, BTW, got some bloodwork done and a referral to a therapist that I may or may not use)......I lost 4-5 lbs and so far have not regained it. Puts me back in "normal" BMI range-24.5.

Last edited by Georgette; 01-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #429  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

JZJ, I'm so sorry things haven't improved more.

Dagmar, your post made me go do some research, and that's when I found out that Pepsi had put the aspartame BACK into Diet Pepsi last year! That explains a lot! I thought I was getting the symptoms from something else, but no, it's the Pepsi. OK, that does it. Diet sodas are finished in this household. We'll get by just fine with plain seltzer with lemon.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #430  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Thanks Dagmar and Georgette for the info about the sugar/fake sugar/menopause. I'm going to try both of your suggestions!

Alinell, that is so interesting that you just use the Garmin until the battery runs out. How long did yours last?

Going to work soon. We work four 10 hour days so this is my Monday
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #431  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Hi all,

I'm still standing - but just barely. Family life is still too hard, I'm sure you remember the story. It is such a struggle to move through the day, the combination of anxiety and depression is paralyzing. We are also in eternal limbo thanks to the government disaster that calls itself child services. Plus SAD from winter life in the PNW is not helping. The last week or so I've been mindlessly binging and I need to stop, because the last thing I need is another reason to hate myself.
JayZee

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #432  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Dagmar, your post made me go do some research, and that's when I found out that Pepsi had put the aspartame BACK into Diet Pepsi last year! That explains a lot! I thought I was getting the symptoms from something else, but no, it's the Pepsi. OK, that does it. Diet sodas are finished in this household. We'll get by just fine with plain seltzer with lemon.
Good choice re the seltzer rather than the Pepsi. I don't know if it's true for seltzer but most sodas, if they are carbonated, contain acids which can erode the enamel of your teeth.And anything with "caramel colour" has cane sugar. I'm not sure if Men's Health magazine is an entirely credible unbiased source but this article does provide a breakdown by each ingredient on the label.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...our-diet-coke/

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #433  

Winter came to Toronto! Each year I hope it won't but each year it does!

Most of my days for the next few months will be some combination of the following:

I'm hoping most nights I'm too tired to eat. And I'll head off to bed at 8:30 p.m. if I have to to avoid starting to snack to stay awake.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #434  

I realize I accidentally attributed JZJ's comment above to Dagmar. Ooops! I've edited that post.

I had a good day yesterday. I was depressed in the morning and through mid-afternoon, then things kinda turned around and I had a nice night. Had dinner planned and made that. WIN!
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #435  

JZJ, I'm so sorry for your troubles. It's got to be difficult. I hope things improve for you and your family.

Greatchoice, I think my Garmin lasted a little over a year. I'd have to go back to Amazon and search for when I bought it. I'm pretty sure they say the battery lasts a year.