Old 08-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #586  
PurpleSunshine

Sommer - I truly hope your day gets better and that you don't even think about the comfort food at all!! I'm sorry your day has starting out so hectic!! - HOpe things get better when you go to COD and get your official plan.....

Praz - Thanks!! I love purple too - Yes, normally I would've enjoyed the pizza - I've just been in a weird place. I should've just eaten something totally different - but I gave into convienence more than anything last night. Digger is just too darn cute!!! Lovin' him too!!!

Barb - Sounds yummy!! Hopefully you can use some of the not so good recipes and adapt them into the program!! Variety is definitely the key!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #587  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Morning chickies

Sommer- Here's hoping the day gets better for you. I had a day kind of like that yesterday, only it was everybody elses screwups that I was getting yelled at for and having to fix. Had to go get a tall light mocha frappachino from starbucks for my comfort food. Anybody know how to count that???

HeatherPP- You crack me up. Drink you up some hot lemon water to get rid of the pizza sodium.

Jenni- Glad you are getting better. Don't let the scale get you down until you are back in your groove again. It's better to take care of yourself when you are feeling ick than worry about staying POP.

Shannon- Glad you had fun camping, and staying OP too. YAY!!

Stacy- I know it's hard not to get frustrated with a gain, but you are not going to lose every time you go in. That is just life. There is a counselor at my center that if I even gain .2 she always goes HMMM- let's see what happened here....... OK whatever.

Pearl- Your baby is just to stinkin cute!!!!

Cassi- WTG on resisting those BLT's.

Barb- How's it going? You are SOOOO close to your goal!!!!

Katie- Hope that new job is being good to you.

HeatherCP, Barb, Rebecca- Where oh where are you at????????

Everybody else, have a super wonderful day. I am off to teach my beading class, then off to work.

MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #588  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everybody. Happy Hump Day...

...and a happy 13th birthday to my oldest DS!

Feeling a little bit harried this week, what with the new school schedules, aftercare for my little guy, forms to fill out, practices and then my own schedule. I was supposed to go to the COD last night for WI, plus they are having some sort of open house. I am hoping to make it there tonight. My DS wants to go to Steak N Shake for dinner and I will oblige him, but I need to go out to their website to figure out what I will be able to eat from there. Wish me luck y'all.

Pearl - Digger is a DOLL!

Cassi - Good for you! Your determination will show on the scale.

Lea Ann - Glad to hear that yesterday turned out to be such a good day for you!

Katie - How was work yesterday?

HeatherPP - You know you've come a long way when you consider a perfectly legal CC meal akin to a "cheat." You GO lady!!!

Sommer and Jenni -

Sherri - Those last days just before school are crazy aren't they? Good luck with your errands, and remember, the end is near!

Barb - Those mashed potatoes sound delish. Thanks for the tip.

Beanie - You out there, Girlfriend?

To Everyone...we are awesome and WE CAN DO THIS!
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #589  
Mom of 3 little boys

Good morning, all. (It's still morning here on the Left Coast)

My oldest boy started first grade today, the middle one is at preschool, and I'm at home with only my 2-year-old. I didn't even have a chance to cry when Joey went into his classroom because I was too frazzled from the whole drop-off process. The preschool teachers were late because they were dropping off their own kids, so by the time I could drop off my preschooler I was almost late getting the first grader to his school. I'm going to have to figure out the best way to do all of it. But, hey, I only have ONE kid in the house right now!

Do the rest of you always have someone helping themself to your food? I usually put four fruit servings in my smoothie because I know a quarter of it is going to be "stolen" by my kids. Likewise, I just poured myself 1 cup of Kashi cereal because I knew the 2 year old was going to come and help me eat it. I figure I got about 3/4 cup total.

Confession time: I intended to have a salad for dinner last night before class, but I ended up getting there late and didn't have time to run in the grocery store before class started. Then, I planned to get the salad during break and eat it later in class. My professor's views on just about everything are polar opposite of mine (and I was getting irritated with her), so when breaktime came and a friend asked if I wanted to go for an "attitude adjustment" at the bar down the street, I went! Then I was so hungry and I didn't have time to go get real food, so I ended up at the vending machine. I wound up having a rum and coke and a Snickers for dinner. I'm so glad I don't have a current diary because I would hate to have to explain it to a counselor at the COD.

Then, to top it off, I was down .4 this morning. Am I to be rewarded for making such an awful food choice? Please, somebody, tell me I did bad!

I hope you all (and I) have a better POP day than I did yesterday.

I'm going to try the WordPad idea for personals. Thanks for the tip!
ChristineS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #590  
One pound at a time...

Good Afternoon everyone! Well I went into my COD last night and was up 2 lbs from Saturday. Not unexpected at all, as when Satruday showed 4.2 loss from Thursday I knew something was up. I guess my weight really fluctuates during the day. I am looking at it from a weekly point of vew even though I will go in 3 times a week. Overall,first week, down 4.2 lbs. I will take it.

Today was my first challenge since starting LAWL. We went to a restaurant for lunch that was NOT in the program listing, a fish restaurant. I am surprised/pleased with myself. I ordered the grilled Mahi Mahi with vegetables, and I stayed away from the bread and pasta. I also did NOT clean my plate as I am wont to do. So I came away feeling satisfied, not too stuffed and not too scared to go into the COD tomorrow.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #591  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

FINALLY, the scale moved down 1.2 pounds after a full week of not budging an ounce. I guess it's true that if you stay POP you really will lose on this program!! I'm doing a virtual happy dance.

Pearl - I think Digger wants to come and visit Charlie (my boxer) in Woodstock, GA. I never heard of Yoshon - he's too cute for words. I like your frugal thread, although lately, frugal seems almost impossible!
Sherry - thanks for the Word Pad tip --
Stacy/Jenni - hang in there; we're all in this for the long haul....
Heather PP - hope the PT was kind to you.
Sommer - I hope you get past the bad morning you had; you've got a lot going on wtih classes, etc. Be good to yourself!
Debster - looks like your pups have a tough life! I had the goofy counselor at COD today; she's a nice gal, but is way too basic for me and talks to you like you are 2 -- oh, it's annoying just thinking about it. I think I prefer professionalism over cutesy; actually, I think a really good counselor needs to just know how to deal with all sorts of people are all different levels. I think if she were to just act naturally, I'd like her better.
Christine - I hate when that happens (being POOP but the scale goes down!!). Let's just hope it sticks and that it was a one time deal!! You've done quite well on the program. Funny about your food thieves. I don't have that problem. I just get sad looks from puppy dog eyes.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #592  
Shannon

Congratulations Joni! I guess consistency is always the key.

I have managed to find today and tomorrow to do take off. I have been looking into doing a full detox. Just comparing a few products right now.

Congratulations to all the losers and even greater congrats to those that didn't but are sticking to their programs.
Shannon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #593  

S/C/G: 223/176.0/170

Weigh in was good today - down 1.8 lb yahoo! the scale is moving in the right dierction again after a yo-yoing July! Only 4.8 pounds until goal! I had been craving chocolate most of july - had some small pieces but it didn't seem to help. I mentioned it to the councellor the other day and she said try a piece of the thins chocolate bar in dark chocolate. So I had half a bar and the craving for chocolate & starches went away. She said that when youare craving chocolate you are missing magnesium and dark chocolate has that in it. Hope everyone is having a POP day
Barb
kicker_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #594  

S/C/G: 243/238/160

Height: 5'10

Question Help, I'm new

I am new to LAWL and need help!! I just finished my two day express thing and am having trouble eating everything they want you to eat. I just can't get it all in! Is it really necessary to eat all of the food groups everyday? I'm so full and I have dinner mapped out and still have several categories left to fill!
butterfli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #595  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Butterfli - Welcome!

We've all been there! Once you figure out a "schedule" for how to eat, you will be able to get it all in.

I was always missing fruits. I would plan a fruit for breakfast with my starch and protein, but then I wouldn't be hungry after eating the starch so it would wait until later, when, at lunch, I did the same thing. I started eating my fruits and veggies first before my meal. And if I have a snack of fruits or veggies planned that I did not get in, I make sure to eat that before my next meal.

Your body needs each and every exchange listed. If you don't eat it, you will find your weight loss stalling out in a week or so. This plan is a big adjustment, but it DOES work. Just commit to doing it. Also, try looking at the beginning of your book for suggestions on how to fit what exchanges in where.

You don't say what plan you are on. You can look in the daily menu thread for some ideas, too.

Good luck!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #596  
Shannon

Butterfli,
It is necessary to eat all the food everyday - your plan is designed for your, your current weight and activity level. In order to lose pounds, we need to feed our bodies. When your body doesn't get enough calories it goes into starvation mode and everything you take in gets stored as fat. (thats the quick and dirty explanation)

I know the first few days even weeks I had trouble getting everything in at first. Now I plan better and make sure that come the end of my work day I have drank all my water and have just enough left to have dinner and a small snack in the evening. Breaking the day into 5-6 meals makes this easier.

This is my typical breakdown (I'm on purple with lites):
Breakfast (Fr,D)
serving of fruit, 1/2 c yogurt, 1/2 c milk, some ice - blender drink

Mid-am snack (Lite, Fr)
la lite, fruit

Lunch (P,S,2V)
fish, rice, baby carrots, cucumber slices
or
Lean cuisine meal, side salad (make it 2V) - if salad my fat goes here
or
chicken, 1/2 bagel, 2 veggies - usually raw

Mid-pm (lite, Fr)
lite, fruit

Dinner (P,S,2V,fat)

eveing - I tend not to snack as I am full - but if it is the weekend I will leave a fruit, veggie or a starch for the night dependent on what we are doing. I only leave the starch for the evening if we are doing a movie or something and I want to snack then I snack on a la lite snack or 100 calories snack from walmart.

Hope this helps.
Shannon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #597  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Hey chickies!

I've had a busy week! I had y nephew for the last couple of days-did the zoo, movies, and spent all day yesterday at an amusement park. It was fun, if not exhausting.

I always tell people that I do one moronic or embarrassing thing every day. And this last weekend was no exception. Of course, you may remember last weekend's wrist slicing incident, in where I stuck a pen into the coils of the fridge in order to clean them out. (BTW-it's finally healing up-although I can tell there will be one heck of a scar. The stitches come out monday.)

So- on Saturday, we had another 20 mile walk. This one comprised most of the marathon course (minus 6.2 miles of course!) Not my fave walk. The folks who organize the marathon picked a long section of absolutely ugly roads. Industrial areas, the shoulder of a highway for MILES! Anyway-apparently runners don't care about the scenery on a marathon, the way walkers might. However-crossing the St. John's bridge is worth the effort. It was awesome! I didn't get to walk over it last time since it was under construction and you had to be across the bridge by a certain time or you had to take a shuttle over when the opened the bridge back up to traffic. Anyway-at about mile 16 or 17 or something (in 90-95 degree heat no less!), my shoe caught on the uneven sidewalk and I did a completely face plant. Well, a boob plant really-since my "girls" absorbed most of the impact. My phone too-since it was clipped to my pack in front. Luckily I wasn't hurt too bad, and my stitches were still intact.

Then on Sunday I went to a baby shower. We were standing in the little foyer making intoductions and my back was to the living room. The hostess pointed out an end table where we could put the presents, so I stepped sideways/backwards into the living room to do so. Except it was a sunken living room. I hit the floor hard, wrenching my knee and getting throughly humiliated in the process. Of course, I made several jokes at my expense . And it was pretty funny.

So-2 falls in 2 days. Pretty good, no?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #598  
Mom of 3 little boys

Yup, Butterfli, I have to agree with the rest. You do need to eat everything on your plan. I find it easier to blend all of my fruit servings into a smoothie, which I usually have for breakfast. It seems easier to drink a big glassful than to eat each individual fruit. I have no idea if it's the "right" way to do it, but it works for me. (I also usually include a 60 cal yogurt in the smoothie so that my dairy serving is out of the way too.)

Also, if you find yourself too full, try steaming your veggies because the cooked portions are smaller than raw.

And, make sure you measure everything at the beginning. I was amazed at how inaccurate my measurements were when I "eyeballed" it. 4 or 6 ounces of meat might be a lot less than you expect.

Good luck on the program. This board is a really great source of information and motivation for me, even though I generally lurk instead of posting. The ladies here seem to know as much as (many times more than) the counselors at the LAWL centers.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #599  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLEPIRATE99 View Post
Good Morning my chickies!!! Well, I totally had the best day yesterday and had planned a total POP dinner - well then the DH got home late, so we ordered pizza - I ate some thinking I would just have a CC - didn't eat much, but I just felt sick to my stomach. The scale wasn't friendly this morning, but I'm hoping it is just some water retention - I go see the PT at lunch today - so I'm sure he will get me to sweatin'

Barbara - oh where oh where is our west coast friend?
Hi Heather, thanks for thinking of me. I'm been doing good, not perfectly on plan, but am up to exercising 4 days a week. I was working strong with my trainer, till I told him I'm putting him on hold for a few to do it on my own. My DD joined the same gym and we are motivated each other. I didn't want to go yesterday, but she talked me into it. I'm still trying to get used to being in pain most of the time I'm up in lbs, but I'm not tripping on it as I know I'm losing inches and that is more important to me at this time. I think of you and others on this board often, but haven't made time to post. I barely get home and were off to work out or run around. The center gets a little frustrated with me, because I don't want to go in. To me I'd rather go work out where it's going to help me, then here the same stories. Could you hear me saying I'd prefer to exercise a few months ago

I'm glad your hanging in there and still trying I can feel your frustration at times. It's hard to be perfect all of the time. Can you get a buddy to work out with you I think it really helps. Know I miss you and wish you nothing but the best. I've learned so much from you thanks my friend.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #600  
Mom of 3 little boys

Oh, Juliemarie! I'll tell you one that might make you feel a bit better...

When I was 8 months pregnant with my second son (and DH was deployed to the desert) I was on my way in to pick up my 1 year old from the daycare center. One of the kids on the playground kicked a ball over the fence. I, forgetting that I had 40 pounds hanging off the front of me, thought I could just skip into the street to get the ball. Unfortunately my 2 1/2 inch heel (yes, at 8 mo preggers) caught on the curb and I went down straight onto my belly/baby. I was okay, but half the people who worked there saw it happen and they were very concerned. They helped me into the building, made me sit down, tried desparately to get me to go straight to the hospital, and almost wouldn't release my kid to me! I felt sooo dumb, both for looking like a dope and for endangering my baby. Thanks goodness it was all right.

That fetus is now 4 years old and loves amusement park rides. I like to think that the fall was his first scary ride.