Old 10-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #346  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello, Sidhe,
Well, I didn't know I was being brave! My reasoning for checking my calories was to see if I could actually lose weight while doing this. I wonder if I'm eating more or less than I did before I became so hyper-conscious of my eating habits. If I'm eating less calories than I did before, then I figure I will lose weight. If not, then I guess I won't. If only I had a day of eating written down from before so I could compare. I think I am actually eating less, but I'm not sure. I feel pretty good. Today, I figured it up again and I think I had about 1200 cal so far. I think writing it down has helped.

And, I know you probably won't believe this, but after breakfast I came to the same conclusion as you. I decided to put less lunch on my plate. I told myself I could go back and get the rest if I was still hungry. It almost worked. I was full for an hour, but then I ate a cereal bar because I was hungry again. I'm having to relearn everything again on this "not-diet". I remember doing this before. I remember my MIL complaining because I didn't put much on my plate, and I also remember getting angry with her! I guess I'm going to have to go through all of that again.

Good luck on your house offer! Hope it comes through!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I've actually had some success lately with not eating food just because it's there and "reasonable." For the last three days, I've had uneaten bites left of my breakfast Swiss muesli. Tonight I didn't finish my sushi and barely touched the sumi (cabbage) salad. I've eaten part of an apple without finishing the rest. Not that there weren't other things I finished without particular attention to hunger (although definitely not until over-full). Feels good. Now I need to start moving more. I really feel the need for it, I'm just world-class at procrastinating for no apparent reason.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #348  

I don't usually bounce out of bed. ha! Last night we went to a Mexican place with 13 of our family. I don't usually like Mexican but my DH and I shared carne asada and it was wonderful! Can't wait to go there again. We are working one day a week at my son's who is remodeling a house to sell. Poor guy...it has taken him a lot longer than he thought it would. Now today all I can think about is that carne asada and how I can't have it again for a week. Probably not good to think like that.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #349  
War Eagle!

Hi, Julie,
I am a fellow procrastinator! I have the 8 Minutes in the Morning book and I started using it again this week, but I have been thinking about doing it for weeks. I like the book because I actually saw results and it didn't take a lot of time, although it does take longer than 8 minutes! He lies! I don't bother with the diet info he gives out. I just do the workout.

Carol,
I love Mexican food. We don't go out to eat much, so I sometimes make it myself. Hmmm. good idea for dinner tonight!

I think I'm doing better with IE this time because I found this site. I didn't have any support last time and I think that is why it fell apart. Thanks to everyone, and hope you have a nice weekend!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #350  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

My goodness, I couldn't live without mexican food!! I (mostly) grew up in Southern California, 20 miles from the US/Mexico border. Mexican food is just...part of the culture. We have mexican (either out, or homemade) several days a week. When I lived in London it almost killed me! They don't have mexican...even the last known Taco Bell closed, and I could find only refried beans and taco shells in the stores. That was 10 months of pain.

Now, hotdish...I could live without that. Corn on the cob, too. I'm very picky about the texure of my foods, actually, and there's a lot of midwestern foods I just can't touch. As for the east, well, I've never been there except when I was too little for it to matter (I was born in Connecticut) so I have no real idea what the food is like there.

Carol--Maybe you dragging out of bed is a sign your body needs food/fuel? Dunno. I have sleeping issues so I can't judge by when I'm tired/not tired, but if you don't have problems with sleeping then maybe it's an indication that your body is slap out of fuel and needs more.

Julie--For some reason the idea of leaving part of an apple seems very odd to me. I don't think it ever occurred to me that I could! Leaving part of any fruit, really...for some reason I can't imagine it. I mean, can you picture leaving half an orange? For some reason that's just a revolutionary idea to me. What a novel concept!

CandEs--I agree, you guys are wonderful! I've been feeling so good, emotionally, lately. I look forward to coming in here and seeing what's new, and checking in myself. I think I've finally found my place.

I had a bit of something for breakfast then went to the gym this morning, and then got dressed to go to high tea. I go every saturday and it's a wonderful part of my life. The place is http://www.theaubreyrosetearoom.com, if you're curious. I didn't eat everything by any stretch of the imagination and felt really good when I left. Aaaaahhhh.

I'll eat when I get hungry, but I don't anticipate that being for another few hours yet! Have a great saturday, all, I'll check back later.

Last edited by sidhe; 10-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #351  
War Eagle!

O M G, Sidhe!!! I would sooooo love to go to tea there! But, I live on the east coast, so I don't think that will be happening any time soon. I grew up out west, too. We lived in Nevada when I was little, so I understand about Mexican cuisine being a part of life. I really am making tacos for dinner! And Spanish rice with fat free refried beans (you can't tell the difference!).

Talk later!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #352  
Becoming myself

Doesn't the tea room look lovely? I assure you, it's just a lovely as you can imagine it is! It's owned by a former patient of mine. I was telling her today that it's like Disneyland: nobody is unhappy there, and there's a sense of happiness and peacefulness (okay, maybe that's not like Disneyland ) and joy there. It's my sanctuary. I go every saturday, take my book and just sit and drink my tea and soak it all in. There is peace there, and for 2 hours I Don't have to take care of anyone else, worry about anyone else, I can sit and read my book and be taken care of. If you ever come out to this coast I will TOTALLY take you there!!

Dinner sounds good, I want to invite myself! Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #353  
War Eagle!

It looks so beautiful! I know what you mean about it being like Disney. I'm always amazed by how wonderful it is there. If I'm ever out west, I'm looking you up so we can go. I will even bring a book! I wish they had something like that here, but as far as I know, they don't. Hmm.... maybe I could start one? That might be a good business idea.

Dinner was good, even if I do say so myself!

Last edited by theCandEs; 10-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #354  
Becoming myself

It's a deal, CandEs. (is your name Candice? Just wondering...) Glad to hear dinner was good. I've got leftovers that I'm really looking forward to for dinner. It's a recipe my family always used to make when I was little for scalloped potatoes with ham, and I looooove it.

I just had lunch, and I was really quite happy with myself. I had a doner kebab with a side of french fries, and I left a bit less than half of both. Now, I'm not congratulating myself on how much I left per se, but I'm very very thrilled that I managed to honor how my body was feeling and just leave it when I had had enough. I also intentionally "saved room" for a piece of baklava. It seems like such an exotic, "rare treat" kind of thing, one of those things that I'd glance at and not even consider a posibility for myself. So I bought it. And I ate it. I could taste all the different parts--the phyllo, the honey, the butter, the nuts. It was amazing and exquisite. In retrospect I think I had one bite too many (I ate the whole triangle), but on the whole I'm comfortable and content.

I remain, though, absolutely terrified of trying ice cream of any description. I haven't had actual ICE CREAM in nearly 3 years, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the idea of going anywhere near it. I try to avoid even looking at it in the grocery store! So maybe that's an issue I need to deal with. I don't know. Do you guys think it's okay to keep some foods on the "do not touch" list? Ice cream and cake/cookies...I just don't feel like I can cope with those, and I don't see where they need to have a spot in my diet. I mean, it's not like I'm cutting out some exclusive source of some vital nutrient! I don't know, what do you think?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #355  

sidhe, I think that's perfectly fine if you're doing what feels right to you, and not what you think you *should* do. And that goes both ways. Having ice cream because you think you *should*, even if you feel in your heart you're happier, at least at this point, without it, isn't being intuitive, in my opinion. I don't think it's the actual action chosen that matters, but the reason behind it.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-11-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #356  
Becoming myself

Julie, I think that's a fine, logical, very intelligent perspective. Thank so much!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #357  

Honestly, when I allowed all foods at home, they lost their appeal. They are all the same now and many times I just don't want ice cream or candy or even cake which used to be my favorite but somehow lost its glamor.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #358  
War Eagle!

Right now, I have ice cream, cake, cookies, uncooked cinnamon rolls, and it does not bother me at all. My family, on the other hand, has been going nuts. I think my husband is gaining weight. I didn't tell them I have started my "not-diet" again. I thought if I could have it around, then any cravings I had would dissipate. You know, it is there if I want it, and I really don't want it right now for the most part. I think it is somewhat relaxing for me to have it there. However, I think Julie is right. If you don't think you can handle it being around, then you don't have to have it there.

P.S. no, my name is not Candice, but I kinda like that. No, really, I tried to get my user name as The C & E's, but it would not let me have that for some reason. I didn't think about it saying "candees" until I saw it later on my posts. Someone I know works in a church, and she said they call people who only show up on Christmas and Easter "the C and E's". I thought it was funny. Now, I've been going almost every Sunday, so it doesn't apply to me anymore.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #359  
Becoming myself

Hmmm. Given what's going on today, I don't know if I can let ANYTHING I feel unsteady about back in my life!!

Today was a total FAIL in terms of IE. I got up late--I had problems sleeping last night, fell asleep after midnight and was up from 4am-6:30am, then slept from 6:30am-8:30am--and woke up hungry. I grabbed some nuts on the way out the door (hubby was late getting to work). Got a message from our realtor telling us that the house had one offer on it over the weekend: all-cash, but significantly less than our offer. It's Columbus Day, so the banks are closed and we won't find out what the bank decides until probably wednesday. Um....imagine a string of ugly words here.

Made it to the coffeehouse to meet my friend and ordered cranberry-orange-cinnamon toast spread with ricotta cheese and topped with strawberries, and a chai latte made with soymilk. And chocolate macaroons. I put the macaroons in my purse and ate the toast, drank the latte and was off to do tasks for the day. Went back to my friend's house while she took care of some stuff, ate the macaroons even though I definitely, assuredly was not hungry. Then we went to lunch with my husband.

Half a mile walk to lunch from the parking garage. At lunch I consciously thought, "aaaah, screw it" and ordered a hamburger with french fries. I ate most of the meat, left the bun, ate all the french fries. Hubby went back to work and my friend and I sat and talked, and I gave in to the urge to order dessert. I ate most of it, with her son (3 years old) helping. Walk half a mile back to the car on a miserable right foot (strained my right plantaris yesterday), head off for more errands.

Hubby calls and asks me where I am, and can I easily come get him? I said no, I'm halfway across the city and we have my friend's car, I'd have to take her home, get our car, then get down to his office. He tells me he's not feeling well and he'll get a workmate to run him home. Um....okay.

Friend finishes her things, we drop her off and trade cars and I head home.

Hubby is home already and is bundled on the couch in a blanket, burning up to the touch and tells me he feels sweaty, cold, and nauseous, and his workmates all agree that he's caught whatever's going around the office right now. It's a 2 day thing, apparently. I go to the store, get him orange juice and other bits&pieces. I wandered around the store for a long time. I was thinking about ice cream, about the fact that I could HAVE ice cream, or wait I could have cake...or cookies...or cheesecake...wait, macaroni and cheese in the deli case!! The I realized I didn't actually want any of it. I totally was ready to buy something, but I really didn't want it. I asked myself what I wanted, if I could have anything in this world, and the thought, "a hug" (as corny as that sounds) came to mind. So I got my husband's things and left the store.

Now, hubby is sick. And hot. And REALLY does not want me close to him. Which I respect. So the hug thing is out of the question. I decided to order pizza, instead. Oi.

Let's just say that my tummy hurts now (Too much wheat, too much grease, too much FOOD). Because I didn't stop at two pieces. Oh no. I stopped at FOUR pieces. And a glass (maybe 4 ounces) of blackberry honeywine mixed with Asti.

I was going to make gluten-free pineapple upside down cake, too. Even went to the store, AGAIN, to get vanilla. It's still all in the packages sitting on my counter, though, because really, I'm just exhausted. Cuz really, baking a cake on top of a day dealing with insomnia and lack of sleep, housing woes/stress, my friend's very hyper and unruly 3-year-old, very sore feet from the 7-mile hike yesterday, a sick husband, and general run-a-house stress is just more than I can deal with.

I'm going to bed. Yes, it's not even 8pm. I'm going to bed anyway. Hubby's already dozing. I'll curl up in the spare bed and see if I can sleep at all.

I feel really hot, too. I am NOT getting sick!!!!

Last edited by sidhe; 10-12-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #360  

sidhe, your post reminds me a lot of another thread today about the snowball effect.

But what I mean by snowball effect is that it started (maybe; this is just me speculating) when you ate when you weren't really hungry, and got worse from there.

I'm sure some of us are more affected than others, and even the same person may be more affected one day than another. I bet your sleep deprivation was probably a big part of it (especially with all the other stressors). I bet on another day those macaroons might have just hit the spot and not set off a whole cycle of worsening. On another day maybe *resisting* the macaroons would set you up for problems. Today, maybe resisting, and instead consciously recognizing that you're sleep deprived and need *extra* care of your healthy today (and still fully giving yourself to have what you want when you know your body isn't out of whack), would have worked.

Maybe not. Just thoughts. Goodness knows I've been there and not always followed my own advice!

My answer probably reflects issues I'm working on - telling the difference between what I superficially want, and what I *really* want, if that makes any sense.