Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #376  

I don't think so, CandEs. It just takes time. So if you go about your everyday life and don't dwell on losing weight, one of these days you will find that you have....eating between hunger and satisfaction, that is.

Last edited by carolr3639; 10-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #377  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think you have to consider how/why you're using the terms "good" and "bad." IE is not really about that. It can really be hard get past that or find a way for it to be healthy for you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #378  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Carol and Julie, I know you are right, but I guess I just want to lose weight so desperately, I can't help but think that way. I know it's years of the 'diet mentality' that has caused me to think that way. Maybe I need to take a look at the book again. Thank you!

Last edited by theCandEs; 10-19-2009 at 11:25 AM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #379  

theCandEs, I know it's hard! I think most of us struggle with that. It's so ingrained. As an example:

I went a little overboard last night with the big bag of Jelly Flops my dad like to give to all us kids now and then. I've now given the rest to my nephews . Mostly the problem was that I kept eating them even though they're too sweet for me. It was kinda (not severely) compulsive. If I had been more mindful, I would have eaten a few, and put them away because they were too sweet to really enjoy.

So I mostly think of that as an IE success. But probably I'm fooling myself a little bit. There's a little bit of good/bad thinking in there, and a little bit of dieting mentality. It's everywhere in our society, so don't feel bad about having trouble with it.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #380  
War Eagle!

Hi, Julie!
Thank you so much for your support! It helps to know that I'm not alone with this. I look at the rest of the boards and I get sucked in to the "diet" way of thinking, so it makes me feel bad if I overeat or eat the "wrong thing."

I do think it was a success that you gave the candy away. Before IE, I would have kept my salt water taffy (from a few weeks ago) and eaten it, even though I don't really like it that much. Giving it away to my son's class was so freeing, and I don't even miss it.

Right now, it's the things I do like that are tripping me up, and my husband is overjoyed that there is so much "not-diet" food in the house. He's been going a bit overboard, and lately I've been right there with him.

I'm going to find time to sit down with the book today and go over some points. Maybe that will help me feel more in control.

Hope you have a great day, and thank you again!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #381  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Carol--Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm trying really hard not to dwell, too.

Julie--I'd call that a success! You recognized it, and you stopped. Sounds like success to me!

CandEs--How timely!! This is the same issue I've been struggling with for the last couple of days, and I've been really trying to get all the ideas down in words. I also have been struggling with having gained a few pounds (I don't know how many, I haven't weighed myself) and a large, uncomfortable bloat in the last couple days since it's nearly TOM. I've been sore, uncomfortable, and PANICKED!!

Oh, yes, the panic. The panic has been relatively pervasive. I've been unable to think of much else, honestly, except "oh crap going through this AGAIN?? I can't diet again I can't I can't Ican'tIcan'tIcan't..." The thought of counting calories or Points or fat grams or veggie servings or pounds or ANYTHING makes me feel like I'm going to just lose it--and not in the good way!!

So basically. Given that I can't go back to dieting, what's my option? I have several, actually.

a) Eat entirely according to what my emotions want--which means a lot of empty calories, too many calories overall, and foods that make my body feel horrible. Guaranteed weight gain, and guaranteed deepening panic and disgust with myself every day.

b) Continue on the approach I am on. Stay with this level of effort and understanding of myself and my relationship with food, and how food affects me. Deal with the occasional bouts of panic and guilt. Generally be comfortable, in a certain definition of comfortable.

c) Accept that I still have a lot to learn about my body and how it responds to food, and work hard to deepen that relationship. Really be conscious of how food is affecting me IN ALL WAYS, and be conscious also of how I'm affected emotionally. Attempt to orchestrate both outcomes to my highest benefit.

So, I've chosen C. I've been keeping my notebook, but I've also been thinking long and hard about the idea that excess weight IS input from my body, and part of the way my body is trying to communicate with me about the food I give it. Not necessarily about the food itself, mind you--nothing so direct as being lactose intolerant or anything like that. But still, if I'm carrying excess weight then I am eating too many calories for my body and lifestyle right now. Which I've mentioned, but, um, never toward myself. Anyway.

I AM NOT DIETING. I'm not counting anything. I had one hysterical moment yesterday morning when I wrote down everything I had had for brunch, and that pushed me so far into the realm of browbeating myself that it pretty much cemented that practice as a bad idea. What I AM doing is:

*Notice that either I'm thinking about food, stomach is growling, I'm craving something, whatever. The topic comes up. I write it down.
*If I decide it's time to eat, I accept that my body needs food right now and look around for options.
*Of my options, I think really hard about how it will make me feel physically and emotionally, if it's something I need to be careful with, and what feedback I anticipate getting from my body after I've eaten whatever it is.
*If something is screaming at me to eat it, I kinda figure there's something else going on. So I try to figure out what's going on. I go back to my journal and write it out until either the craving goes away, or I have figured out that my body will be okay with me eating whatever it is.
*I eat it. I try to pay attention as I'm eating to when the food stops tasting marvelous (there's usually a point). At that point I go very, very slowly, bite by bite, to try to figure out when I've had enough. I'm kinda figuring "tummy full" is a feeling that's gotten me in trouble in the past, so I'm really trying to pay attention to how things taste.
*As you already know, I write, after I've eaten whatever it is, about how I feel. I kinda compare notes, to see if how I THINK I will respond is how I ACTUALLY respond.

Yes, this is a laborious process!!! But I kinda figure, if I want a different life then I have to live my life differently, right? I'm also pushing myself and challenging myself at the gym and with my activity level, but really that's not what this post is about so I'll leave it at that.

I also wanted to say that I spend a lot of time...talking myself down from the ledge, basically. In both directions. I try to be gentle and nonjudgmental, and just get myself to slow down so that I can hear myself think. I spend a lot of time thinking about consequences. I'm trying to be understanding and supportive of myself and my panic, right now, but also realistic. Do I want to regain weight I've lost? Well, no. Is it worth that risk and that fear for 5 minutes of candy? No, it's not. Do I want to go back to obsessing about everything, to browbeating and abusing myself about every single bite of food I put (or don't put) in my mouth? No, I don't. Then I'll put my energy into IE, instead.

Last edited by sidhe; 10-20-2009 at 07:25 AM.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #382  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
or I have figured out that my body will be okay with me eating whatever it is.
That's a nice way to put it. It's not whether something is bad according to someone's rules. It's whether we're paying attention to what our bodies tell us. Sometimes they say that junk will make you feel awful - and then sometimes we ignore that. Sometimes they say, a little bit of that will really hit the spot and won't make me ill - and sometimes we ignore *that.* Neither one is right

Quote:
*I eat it. I try to pay attention as I'm eating to when the food stops tasting marvelous (there's usually a point). At that point I go very, very slowly, bite by bite, to try to figure out when I've had enough. I'm kinda figuring "tummy full" is a feeling that's gotten me in trouble in the past, so I'm really trying to pay attention to how things taste.
Quote:
*As you already know, I write, after I've eaten whatever it is, about how I feel. I kinda compare notes, to see if how I THINK I will respond is how I ACTUALLY respond.
I think both of those are things that we will probably spend a lot more time on at first, but necessarily forever. I think it will get easier. Like any new thing we learn.

Your whole post is great. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #383  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Julie--Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to keep telling myself that I'm learning. Now granted, some people know this stuff from the get-go, but they're not me and I'm not them. I guess I was so busy learning other stuff when I was little that I missed this part!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #384  

I think we all still have days when we eat for other reasons than hunger. I do. Last night I went a long time without eating and finally had a BLT with DH at home. Wow did that taste good. Hunger is the best seasoning, as they say. I'm off to the dentist today. Hope this is the last visit for awhile.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #385  

Quote:
Julie--Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to keep telling myself that I'm learning. Now granted, some people know this stuff from the get-go, but they're not me and I'm not them. I guess I was so busy learning other stuff when I was little that I missed this part!
You know, I know the stuff mentally. But *really* knowing it is a different thing.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #386  
War Eagle!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I'm feeling much better today. DH finished off the strudel and that has helped me. lol
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #387  

Hi. Haven't posted here in a while. Well, I now take mood stabilizing medicatons who's main side effect is weight gain. It's been difficult to swallow, I just wanna go on a diet. I really have to ell myself that the weight gain isn't my fault, and, as long as I exercise, it will not be too bad, and, more important, I'll be healthy. When someone asked me what was more important, my weight or being happy, I actually had to think about it, which, sadly, shows how brainwashed I still am by diet mentality.
I enjoy food more than I ever have, and don't find myself binging, like Iused to. I made a huge batch of cookies, and only had one. It's good to be back.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #388  
War Eagle!

Hey, Amie, nice to meet you. I know some medications can cause weight gain, but if you need them, then what can you do? I took Lexapro after my youngest son was born, and it really helped me get through the "baby blues." If you feel better, then it is worth it. Plus, you might even feel like exercising now, too.

I'm still trying to get used to this IE thing again. I tried to do it a few years ago. I'm really hopeful this time.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #389  

Hey, Candes. Yeah, I definitely feel better. Sometimes this IE thing takes some time to stick, it runs counter to the messages that bombard us from everywhere, about how we must be thin to be successful, and dieting is the only way to get there.
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #390  

Hi Amie. Yes, IE is contrary to what you've always thought. I'm getting close to a 50lb loss but I'm not in any hurry. That is just opposite of what I used to feel. I want to start a thread on exercise but not for weight loss. I am procrastinating. I started exercising just lately for blood pressure and to improve my kidney function. I feel better.