Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  

Default Intuitive Eating #10

Since there are 500 posts in the old IE I'll start a new one. Intuitive Eating is eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied. Well, it's a little more than that. When you feed your body regularly, it gets the message that you are no longer in a famine (diet) and will lower your appetite. You'll lose weight slowly but surely. It really is amazing. Somedays I'm hardly hungry at all and others I am. I even passed up Culver's cappachino almond fudge ice cream Sat. because I just wasn't hungry.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Just saying hi on the new thread
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #3  

Thanks, Julie.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #4  

Here is a really amazing blog about IE.

http://eatwhenyourehungry.blogspot.com/
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #5  

That *is* a nice blog . She seems very genuine and real. I don't remember seeing her book in the store.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #6  

I thought it was interesting what Maggie Miller had to say on her blog about eating at a certain restaraunt. That has definitely happened to me.

I share this story with you because I want you to know that every meal isn’t going to be perfect. Some meals may be so dissatisfying that you stop eating them with hunger pangs still in your belly. Other meals will be so disappointing that you’ll want to stop mid-way through, but you won’t because you’re hungry and there’s food in front of you, and you have to get to Costco, get the kids fed and bathed, finish a PPT and put the next meal on the table. So you eat it.

And if you’re like me two weekends ago, it may very well ruin your entire morning. In fact, my mood didn’t turn around until about 3 in the afternoon…….when I got home from the store with a palette of strawberries, a container of blackberries, my favorite yogurt and a new box of granola. Guess what I ate for breakfast every day last week?

So, just remember that even a “seasoned” intuitive eater like myself sometimes has gross food. And sometimes it even ruins my day. But, it’s all a part of this journey. Every meal is a learning experience. You’ll notice that my disappointing meal at CF did not lead me into a binge-fest (though it did lead to a week’s worth of yogurt parfaits for breakfast, and I enjoyed every bite!).

One other little nugget for all those nay-sayers out there who say, “Intuitive eating? Doesn’t that mean you can eat anything you want? All I’d ever eat is donuts and cheeseburgers!” Guess what, sometimes all you’ll want is fresh fruit.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #7  
Intuitive Eater

Hi everyone!

I've been out of town for a while but I'm back now.

Welcome to those of you who I have not yet met ... CatholicCajun and nickyci! Nicky, you sound like you're on your way. I truly believe that IE is the only way to break free from the diet cycle you speak of ... like most of us, I am all too familiar with that! CatholicCajun, snacks have always been hard for me eating this way too. I would usually overindulge in them and that would set me up for binging. Only recently since I started keeping an eye on my carbohydrate intake have I been able to keep the snack binging under control. Seems the more carbs I eat, the more I want and can't control myself. I do eat the "junk" food as well as the "healthy" snacks you mention, just within my own limits, that's what works for me. Great to have you both with us!

And Hello to everyone I haven't mentioned. Not much time for posting right now. Will check in later.

Have a great one!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #8  

Hi Blue. Julie, the book by Maggie Miller is $16.95 for an 82 page paper back which I thought was a bit high. I think I can wait until they have some used ones for sale even is it is a few months. The hard back book was $25.95 and the E download is $9.95. The last would be the best deal but still a bit steep. But, hey, she's from CA where everything is expensive.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #9  

I looked up IE on Wikipedia today and was surprised to read this.

An early promoter in the recent wave of interest in intuitive eating is Lynn Donovan who published in 1971 a book called The Anti-Diet: the pleasure power way to lose weight. But actually, intuitive eating is not a recent idea at all. "Fletcherism" is defined in dictionaries as eating according to hunger, and is named for American nutritionist Horace Fletcher (1849-1919).
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Hi Blue. Julie, the book by Maggie Miller is $16.95 for an 82 page paper back which I thought was a bit high. I think I can wait until they have some used ones for sale even is it is a few months. The hard back book was $25.95 and the E download is $9.95. The last would be the best deal but still a bit steep. But, hey, she's from CA where everything is expensive.
I might pay $10 for the ebook. But I'd want to see the TOC first.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #11  

Michelle May, MD has several great videos about IE. I was surprised to find these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEcd...eature=related
Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #12  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I looked up IE on Wikipedia today and was surprised to read this.

An early promoter in the recent wave of interest in intuitive eating is Lynn Donovan who published in 1971 a book called The Anti-Diet: the pleasure power way to lose weight. But actually, intuitive eating is not a recent idea at all. "Fletcherism" is defined in dictionaries as eating according to hunger, and is named for American nutritionist Horace Fletcher (1849-1919).
That's interesting Carol!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #13  

Lots of company this weekend and then leaving, Lord willing, for Portland and Seattle next Tues to see our kids. We're taking 2 grandkids with us. Coming home July 17th. Oh, the thought of all the weeds in the garden! I just won't think about them. ha!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #14  

carol, Have a great and fun trip.. getting to take the grandkids how neat. i am still here just been hot and not in here much. but thinking of everyone. i am still losing and exercise. with curves now and love it. losing those inches to. good luck to all. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, ladies...Just checking in on the new thread. Carol, thanks for the link to the new blog, and to the You Tube videos.

Have a great trip! Everyone else, hope you have a great day!
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote