Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #196  
Intuitive Eater

Me too, Carol. I don't like that stuffed feeling anymore. It seems to be easier to listen to my fullness now than it did early on. Sometimes I never even reach full, but just stop at satisfied.

I've been eating a lot of bready stuff lately for convenience and I need to go shopping (been too busy for whipping up meals) and so I've been craving veggies. Once again, breakfast was a bread (a bagel w/cream cheese) but it just didn't satisfy me even tho it was a very good cinnamon raisin bagel, so I had a few baby cut carrots to top it off and that seems to have satisfied me, even tho I'm not full. Intuitive eating is fun!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #197  

Still having trouble stopping when satisfied. Can't wait to get home.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #198  

Hello there, I am fairly new and very interested in intuitive eating. I feel really good when I eating with hunger and fullness, but I am beginning to see a problem with this eating.

This post may be a little long, but I am hoping there is someone out there who has experienced the same problem.

I have done this intuitive eating a couple of times before. The first time with Weigh Down Workshop back in the last 90's. I felt great and for the first time in control instead of food controling me. I continued eating intuitively on this program until I stopped due to a very stressful move out of state which ended in abandoning the program. I did work the program well for at least a year, but I never saw the weight loss that a lot of other people did. Just a couple of pounds here and there and it was discouraging. Looking back I realized that althought I ate small portions of the foods that seems most appetizing, my menu consisted of mostly sweets and carbs.

A few years later I started working an online program that was based on intuitive eating called Setting Captives Free. I faithfully worked this program for 3 months following their guidlines and I lost a total of 5-6 lbs. Basically they accused me of not being "obedient" and I was really mad and disappointed.

I recently started reading the book "Intuitive Eating" and I love it and I have been working hard at doing it. The same thing is happening, I find myself eating mostly sugars and carbs, but small amounts, and I seem to have gained weight.

I am starting to believe that I am insulin resistant, and that is the reason I cannot lose weight. Insulin resistance causes cravings for carbs and sugars and although I am only eating small amount of these foods, I crave them.

The other day I decided to try something. Even though I wanted a couple of my favorite chocolate cookies when I was clearly hungry, I decided to make a simple fruit salad with fresh peaches, bananas, and blueberries, topped with about a 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt. Now my taste buds were not telling me this was truly what I wanted, but I ate it anyway. Well, it turned out that it was sooo delicious and way satisfying!

This got me thinking that I am continuing to crave carbs because I have some type of imbalance with sugar and this is what is keeping me from choosing healthier foods, and losing weight.

Any comments or encouragement is welcome! -Mary
praterteaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

praterteaches, I just have to laugh at the irony of a group calling themselves "Setting Captives Free" accusing you of not being "obedient."

I mix IE with some choices about healthy eating. To me, *what* I eat strongly affects what I *want* to eat. Sure, if I eat nothing but junk, I eventually crave some veggies, but the key word there is "some" . I think for most people, the IE logic that you'll eventually eat healthy without trying is flawed. It's complicated to say that you have to balance IE and making healthy choices, but I think it's true.

When I eat whole grains and beans and veggies and nothing sweet - that's what I crave. I can think of sugar during the week and truly prefer something completely not sweet. Seriously. I find that I can have dessert about once a week, really enjoy it, and not crave more. But if I have more sweets than that, I want more and more and more. Junk is even worse.

Plus, my whole grains and beans and veggies keep me so full. Refined grains don't do that. If I'm eating until I'm satisfied, it takes a whole lot more refined grains to get me there.

So, in a way, I am eating intuitively. I'm at the point I truly do prefer healthier foods. But I don't really think it's fair to suggest to people that they will start preferring these foods, magically, and that then they will start eating them intuitively. I think it's the other way around. You eat them, and then start preferring them.

But the process and balance is tricky. I think IE has some very important concepts. But I do think it's lacking in the recognition of just how much *what* you eat affects what you *want* to eat.

That's just my take on it. We all have different eating backgrounds, and I'm sure IE exactly as written is exactly what many people need. Some of the concepts are stellar and pretty universal, and I keep working on them (as we all know, it's a lot harder than it sounds to everyone else!)

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-30-2009 at 08:21 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #200  

Julie, thank you for your imput. Truthfully, I was thinking the same thing. The book says to just go with your true desire of what sounds really good. I have been doing that and find myself eating a cookie at lunch, another two later on, and then a Dove bar at night. That is what sounded good to me, so I ate it. I didn't overeat, I waited until I was hungry. But, the more sweets I eat, the more I want. I tried eating one sweet a day, and that didn't last too long. I eat other healthy foods as well, but when I started thinking about what I was eating it seemed to be close to half of what I eat is sweet. It's not like I just started a month ago and I am not intuned with what I desire.

Your comment has made me realize that I have to adapt my IT eating to make sense for my life. I will never lose weight eating sweets all day long.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #201  

I think Julie put it well. My mom always taught me to eat sweets at the end of a meal so basically that's what I still do. But most people get tired of things they eat often and that's what I think IE teaches. When I get home I would really like to exercise more because sometimes I feel like and old lady at 60. I can't be in the sun so I usually garden at sunset. But I think I need more.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 245/245/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey everybody!

I would LOVE to just eat as much as my body needs for fuel then stop! So I hear people talking about a "program," so what else is involved other than only eating when hungry, and then only until nourished? Also, did I hear that some blend this program with others? Anybody (for example) count calories or go to OA at the same time?

Since I have close to 100 pounds to lose (OK, if I lost 100 pounds I would be at the perfect weight really) it will not be easy to exercise vigorously until I drop 25 or 30 pounds, which I have done in a short time in the past following pretty balanced eating programs. But like most who lose weight quickly, I've put every bit back on along with additional pounds.

So I am new here today. Any suggestions?

Thanks ~~ Julie
seattlejules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #203  

Julie, Welcome, I am new as well. Chances are if you need to lose 100 lbs you have been on lots of diets. I need to lose close to 50 lbs and I have been on every diet on the planet.

Intuitive eating is not a diet plan, but a way to stop dieting. You eat when you are hungry and you stop when satisfied. Simple concept but not as easy when you have been used to rules all your life.

There are many books out but the one I am reading is called "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

seattlejules - welcome

I'd recommend reading the Intuitive Eating book. It does have a program. But more than structure, it provides a philosophy or new outlook on eating and our relationship with food.

I think no matter what "diet" or "program" you talk about, people customize it to fit their needs!

Also, you can explore a bit on an online site like Amazon or Barnes & Noble - there are a lot of other books out there addressing "not" dieting, mindful eating, intuitive eating, "normal" eating, and so on. One I liked was "The Slow Down Diet," by Marc David, which despite the title, is also not about a diet.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #205  
Intuitive Eater

Hi everyone! I'm going to do lots of quotes in this post so I'll post my own comments in blue within the quotes I'm posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praterteaches View Post
Hello there, I am fairly new and very interested in intuitive eating. Welcome praterteaches! I feel really good when I eating with hunger and fullness, but I am beginning to see a problem with this eating.

This post may be a little long, but I am hoping there is someone out there who has experienced the same problem. Yep!

I have done this intuitive eating a couple of times before. The first time with Weigh Down Workshop back in the last 90's. I felt great and for the first time in control instead of food controling me. I continued eating intuitively on this program until I stopped due to a very stressful move out of state which ended in abandoning the program. I did work the program well for at least a year, but I never saw the weight loss that a lot of other people did. Just a couple of pounds here and there and it was discouraging. Looking back I realized that althought I ate small portions of the foods that seems most appetizing, my menu consisted of mostly sweets and carbs.

A few years later I started working an online program that was based on intuitive eating called Setting Captives Free. I faithfully worked this program for 3 months following their guidlines and I lost a total of 5-6 lbs. Basically they accused me of not being "obedient" and I was really mad and disappointed.

Your experiences match my own. I, too, did the Weigh Down program and the Setting Captives Free program. I lost about 7 pounds with WD and nearly 20 pounds with SCF. Did I keep the pounds off? No. I think the problem I had with both programs was I still treated them like a diet. (Note the use of the word "program" I use with each.) I was either following *their* rules and being good or I was not following *their* rules and being bad, which only reinforced the whole diet mentality. It has taken me a very long time to get to a place where I no longer consider myself as being bad or good or eating bad or good. Instead, I now listen to my body really closely. (Well, with a few slip-ups here and there.) Yesterday happened to be a slip-up day. I ate way too much and felt bloated and gross all day. But I don't feel "bad" in the sense that I failed yet again, like a diet keeps you thinking, I only felt bad physically and have learned from my mistake and don't want to repeat it.

I recently started reading the book "Intuitive Eating" and I love it and I have been working hard at doing it. The same thing is happening, I find myself eating mostly sugars and carbs, but small amounts, and I seem to have gained weight. This sounds very natural. I gained around 10 pounds when starting IE. That weight has come back off and I seem to be holding pretty steady for now. Until it finally clicked that I'm not on a diet or program or following any set of rules, I still struggled in this area of gravitating towards all those foods I had been avoiding or cutting back on while on diets. And struggled a lot with diet mentality and diet backlash. I know ... the last thing anybody wants to hear is that it's natural to gain weight when you're eating intuitively. But, if you allow yourself to get past that and stick with it you could find that the scale starts going in the other direction.

I am starting to believe that I am insulin resistant, and that is the reason I cannot lose weight. Insulin resistance causes cravings for carbs and sugars and although I am only eating small amount of these foods, I crave them. Here's where I'd like to toss out another book (program) it's called "YOU: On A Diet" ... now I'm not recommending this "program" if you're trying to go the IE route, BUT it wasn't until I read this book that I realized that it is very true that if you eat carby foods and sugary foods all the time, that's what you're gonna want to eat. I had experienced this quite often, but the YOAD book really gets down to the scientific reasons why this happens to our bodies. I can remember days when I would literally stand in front of the pantry snack after snack trying to get satisfied on low quality carby "junk" food, and I couldn't. Not until I was stuffed and bloated did I want to quit eating. There is a perfectly scientific answer to why that happens and how to stop it from happening. It stops when you eat better foods. More on that later ...

The other day I decided to try something. Even though I wanted a couple of my favorite chocolate cookies when I was clearly hungry, I decided to make a simple fruit salad with fresh peaches, bananas, and blueberries, topped with about a 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt. Now my taste buds were not telling me this was truly what I wanted, but I ate it anyway. Well, it turned out that it was sooo delicious and way satisfying! Satisfying ... this is very important.

This got me thinking that I am continuing to crave carbs because I have some type of imbalance with sugar and this is what is keeping me from choosing healthier foods, and losing weight.

Any comments or encouragement is welcome! -Mary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
praterteaches, I just have to laugh at the irony of a group calling themselves "Setting Captives Free" accusing you of not being "obedient."

I mix IE with some choices about healthy eating. To me, *what* I eat strongly affects what I *want* to eat. Exactly. Sure, if I eat nothing but junk, I eventually crave some veggies, but the key word there is "some" . I think for most people, the IE logic that you'll eventually eat healthy without trying is flawed. It's complicated to say that you have to balance IE and making healthy choices, but I think it's true. Yes, I agree. And there's a chapter in IE about "gentle nutrition" that backs this up.

When I eat whole grains and beans and veggies and nothing sweet - that's what I crave. I can think of sugar during the week and truly prefer something completely not sweet. Ditto. Seriously. I find that I can have dessert about once a week, really enjoy it, and not crave more. But if I have more sweets than that, I want more and more and more. Junk is even worse.

Plus, my whole grains and beans and veggies keep me so full. Very true. Refined grains don't do that. If I'm eating until I'm satisfied, it takes a whole lot more refined grains to get me there.

So, in a way, I am eating intuitively. I'm at the point I truly do prefer healthier foods. And it doesn't necessarily happen over night. It has taken me quite a while to get to a place where I can take or leave a Reese Peanut Butter Cup! LOL But I don't really think it's fair to suggest to people that they will start preferring these foods, magically, and that then they will start eating them intuitively. I think it's the other way around. You eat them, and then start preferring them. I think you're right. Although I love just about all kinds of foods, so it was really easy for me to reach for "healthier" choices.

But the process and balance is tricky. I think IE has some very important concepts. But I do think it's lacking in the recognition of just how much *what* you eat affects what you *want* to eat. Agreed. That's why I mention the YOAD book for anybody interested in the whole physiological aspect of eating. It even has lots of comical illustrations to help you visualize how your body is handling the food it eats. A good read.

That's just my take on it. We all have different eating backgrounds, and I'm sure IE exactly as written is exactly what many people need. Some of the concepts are stellar and pretty universal, and I keep working on them (as we all know, it's a lot harder than it sounds to everyone else!) Yes, it is harder than it sounds.
Back in a few with more quotes. This post is getting kinda long!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #206  
Intuitive Eater

More blue quotes from Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I think Julie put it well. My mom always taught me to eat sweets at the end of a meal so basically that's what I still do. I like to do this, too. It feels like you've topped off your meal and can lean back and let out that satisfying "sigh" after a meal well enjoyed. But most people get tired of things they eat often and that's what I think IE teaches. When I get home I would really like to exercise more because sometimes I feel like and old lady at 60. I can't be in the sun so I usually garden at sunset. But I think I need more. I think this is exactly why my own weight is kinda stalled. When I was on the SCF program they stressed getting in exercise and I strove to walk 1/2 hour daily. (Didn't always happen.) I think this kept the weight coming off steadily for me. I'd like to get back into that and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlejules View Post
Hey everybody! Welcome seattlejules!

I would LOVE to just eat as much as my body needs for fuel then stop! So I hear people talking about a "program," so what else is involved other than only eating when hungry, and then only until nourished? Also, did I hear that some blend this program with others? Anybody (for example) count calories or go to OA at the same time? I tried to count carbs for a while while eating intuitively but it backfired. It only reinforced the whole diet thing and it didn't work for me. Now, I just try to eat what I like, and eat a variety of foods. "Junk" foods have taken a back seat to healthier choices because I just tend to enjoy them more but they do have their place and I do still eat them. I think the old adage "everything in moderation" applies here.

Since I have close to 100 pounds to lose (OK, if I lost 100 pounds I would be at the perfect weight really) it will not be easy to exercise vigorously until I drop 25 or 30 pounds, which I have done in a short time in the past following pretty balanced eating programs. But like most who lose weight quickly, I've put every bit back on along with additional pounds.

So I am new here today. Any suggestions? IE is really a lot of trial and error and lots of patience to see what will work for you. This thread is a great resource for seeing how others have walked this walk. My own experience with IE is pretty well documented here at 3FC. I've experienced a lot of lows along the way and have shared many of them. And lots of victories are shared here as well. I would have to say that IE is not another "program" to lose weight but rather IE is about getting back to normal eating. Weight loss can be a result, but I think most people eating intuitively tend to lose it slower, at least that seems to be the case.

Thanks ~~ Julie
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

I haven't read this thread in awhile, but there are some very interesting posts here recently.

I think once our systems get messed up from too much dieting, we tend to get that way--where we crave the junky carbs, and can eat them endlessly without getting full, and without ever really craving natural, whole foods.

I've found that to be true for me over the last few years. I could live completely on grains, baked goods, candy--and I've gone MONTHS without a single craving for protein, veggies, or fruit.

I do notice that when I make a point of eating "real" foods, I crave junk less.

Blue, you've got some very good insights there.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #208  

So good to see you Becky and so many cool posts to come home to. Sooooo glad to be home and back to a routine. We've just been on too many vacations this year. The cool thing is, I haven't gained weight through it all. That has never happened before. Now if I can just get back to exercise.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #209  

Just found this article in the NY times.

To Eat Well, Be Instinctive

Article Tools Sponsored By
By MANDY KATZ
Published: July 15, 2009

WE all knew how to eat intuitively once: Infants don’t binge or starve themselves, and presumably, cavemen didn’t either. But instincts become twisted in an environment where you can hold a Twinkie in one hand and the remote in the other, surrounded by images of skinny starlets.

After near-lifetimes of restricted consumption, practiced dieters find it takes a concentrated effort to learn how to answer to their appetites through a practice often called “intuitive eating.”

Intuitive eating involves returning to basic drives, dispensing with the notion of “good” or “bad” foods and rules about when to eat. Absent a fear of deprivation, the philosophy holds, one’s hunger and taste cues — rather than cognitive rules — provide the most trustworthy guide toward balanced, healthy eating.

Kate Harding, an ex-dieter and an author of “Lessons From the Fat-O-Sphere,” said eating intuitively did not come easily for her at first. But eventually, she said, “If you’re actually listening to your body, instead of the voices in your head, you won’t be inclined to eat yourself sick very often.”

Intuitive eating works only when coupled with weight-neutrality, Ms. Harding said. “The first step is to take away all the moralizing and shame,” she said. To that end, she suggested, “Why not buy some clothes that fit you and turn off the TV a little bit?”

At bottom, eating is, or should be, “a basic process,” she said.

Last edited by carolr3639; 09-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #210  

Wow, thanks Carol, Truffle, and especially Blue.
Very interesting stuff. I'm glad to hear others thinking and feeling the same way I do.

I really feel better when I eat healthy and I'm more satisfied. Now I just have to incorporate that into intuitive eating. It's tricky because the moment I think about eating healthy, I then feel guilty about eating sugar.

I am starting a "program" called Women to Women. It is for women who have trouble with peri and post menopause. Besides overeating I have entered menopause with all kinds of problems, (another reason make healthier choices). I am hoping to include their guidelines for eating into intuitive eating.