Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Carol, I read that the other day and was going to post a link to it. I thought it was another great post.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #407  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Thank you so much, Carol! Great article! And, I needed it after I just ate a midnight snack of leftover pizza.

P.S. I bought some new jeans today in a smaller size. I knew my old jeans were getting too loose, but I didn't know I would be able to go down a size. I'm thrilled!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #408  

The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens is another book that is IE and to the point.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #409  

I can relate with the gentle nutrition chapter problems. I'll never give up my honey sweetened full fat Greek yogurt, but, I don't eat the whole container either. I love Geneen Roth! I'm rereading IE the book. I'm still exercising two or three times a week with my trainer, and really enjoying it. I plan to look up size acceptance on google, and see what kind of blogs they have. I need to come to terms with my size, and really get that the weight gain from the meds isn't my fault, which I'm struggling with. Overall, I put way too much emphasis on my physical appearance, and neglect other areas, like my music and relationships, and how much I love my daughter and many pets. I am alwys fighting the temptation to restrict, even though I know it will lead to a binge, I guess it goes back to punishing yourself for being overweight. I have some comfortable clothes that actually fit, and routinely eat food I like. My Bf's a great cook, and believes in eating real food. So, overall, I'm pleased with my IE progress.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #410  
War Eagle!

Thanks, again, Carol! I looked up the book and read the first chapter and I need to have that book now. Anyone who wants to can read the first chapter. It was very good, and written by someone who has done it and understands what it is like.

Amie, I understand how you feel about appearance. I'm struggling with that, too. Right now, I'm trying not to bust my bubble. Usually when I get to feeling good about my appearance, something will upset me back into beating myself up. I will see a picture of myself, or my reflection in a full length mirror, and then the self-loathing comes back. Right now, I'm trying to stay in the bubble. Want to stay here with me? lol
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #411  

Candes, I'll take a seat in tat bubble. It's said that between 70 and 90 percent of what we say to ourselves is negative. Diets reinforce everything bad I've ever thought about myself, when dieting, I waited for that magic day when I'd be the right size. I was there for a few months, and, I still wasn't happy, in fact, I don't remember ever feeling so empty. I worked so hard for something that didn't make me happy. I've been much happier singing jazz with my best friend backing me up, to a small but appreciative audience, or having my boyfriend read me a favorite book, or drinking tea, while listening to Benny Carter records and petting my cat.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #412  
War Eagle!

Here we go. This is our bubble(s). lol I'm not going to let the outside get in and ruin this for me again. I want to feel good about how I look right now, and it will help me feel good at any weight. I'm trying my best to keep a positive attitude. I suppose if I could get it down to 50% that would be an improvement over 70-90.

Last edited by theCandEs; 10-26-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #413  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to all our newcomers! I look forward to reading what you have to say.

CandEs, yay on the jeans! I'm glad you're happy.

I've been hanging out and holding on. Fighting this battle against old voices and old habits is hard, let me tell you! I made the mistake of reading an article on the differences between omega-3 and omega-6 fats and THEN reading the new Shape magazine that came on the mail, and that threw me right back in to "good food/bad food" "have to make perfect choices" thinking. I've been fighting my eating behaviours for days. Add that to the fact that it's been over a weekend (and spending more time with my hubby) and it hasn't been pretty. (Full disclosure: I love the man dearly, but we've had some rough times in the past and those have reinforced in me that it's best to keep my feelings to myself and deal with them privately any way I must [ie with food]. We are overcoming that but it's a long, hard relearning of old lessons.) So anyway. Journal is sitting on the couch beside me and I'm off to write things out, but I thought I'd stop in and touch bases before I did.

Still here, still trying!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #414  

Sidhe, I have a little of that keeping your feelings to yourself, too. My Dh and I are so opposite. He is constantly working, never resting and seem that's all I do. I have been tired a lot with a chronic disease since age 28 and also had ten kids so maybe tired is ok. When I'm tired I rest. He pushes himself. So I sometimes can't express to him exactly how I feel. But I'm sure my weight problem is from years of dieting and even fasting. I look back and think if I had just known about IE years ago........ahhhhhhhh. But at least I finally found it and as far as I'm concerned it is the way God made us....hunger and satisfaction........so simple.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #415  

S/C/G: 230.8/171/150

Height: 5'8"

Good morning! Just wanted to say hello!! I recently joined the board and this is my first post!! I know IE is the way to go. But it's a struggle to let go of the old ways and to deal with my emotions. Especially since our lives have been in upheavel for the past two months. I'm out of work and haven't been able to find a job. But I know the Lord will provide in His timing and not mine. I'm reading Thin Within now and I would like to get a copy of intuitive eating and read it again. I read it several years ago, but I need to refresh. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Blessings,
Lenise
amazinggrace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #416  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, amazinggrace! I'm so excited about all the new folks lately

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-27-2009 at 11:55 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #417  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I know it's a little overdue, but to everyone who responded to my questions, thanks for responding
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #418  
War Eagle!

Sidhe, thanks for the jeans compliment! I'm sorry you've been having trouble lately. Hope things get better soon. I find writing it down does help.

Carol, I think you know my husband. He is constantly doing, too. Even on the weekend. I feel lazy compared to him. You have every right to be tired with ten children. I have 2 and that is as much as I can handle. My weight has kept me from having more. I had gestational diabetes with my youngest and I don't want to go through that again.

Hello, amazing grace, and welcome! I, too, am looking for a job. It's tough out there, I know.

Skyra, you're welcome. How are you doing?

Well, I'm still plugging away. I've realized I cannot eat pizza without some physical distress, so I may need to stay away from it for awhile. Still haven't eaten breakfast today because I don't know what I want. I need to decide soon, though. Lots to do this week! Halloween party for my youngest son's class, soccer tournament for oldest son, trick-or-treating, and youngest son's birthday party on Sunday. Good grief! The great thing about IE though, is I will have some candy and cake, and not feel guilty that I'm cheating on my "diet."
Old 10-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #419  

Welcome Amazinggrace. Sounds like your are getting the hang of it, CandE. A little tired today and have to go to a funeral. A young man, 25, from our small town took his life. Everyone is in shock. So sad.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #420  
War Eagle!

Oh, Carol, I'm so sorry. That is so sad when a young person, or any person, takes his life.