Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #346  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Mellow,

It depends on the person... Im like fithappy, Im really nfrom 11am and on... and usually really crazy hungry at 7 pm to 9pm. It teaches me to be more disciplined and fight through it tho. I find things to do, cleaning, laundry.... ironing. etc.

This is hard, bit it works. After my first week, starting at 135, I'm at 131.7. YAYYYYY
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, I'm feeling that it is a mind over matter thing. If I have other things to do I'm not as focused on it. I keep telling myself that the hardest part was getting started and I just don't want to go back to day one. This is officially Day 4 and I feel pretty good this morning. The headaches have been mostly in the evenings right before I go to bed. I'm down a few pounds from the day that I signed up, so I'll keep pushing!
mellowyella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 244/223/160

Height: 5ft 4in.

Good evening all, my first end of week one weigh in I've lost 8lbs. Delighted! It's going well. Roll on s successful week two. Summer's coming. I have a beach holiday in July and I would love to feel comfortable and confident.
TwoTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #349  

Hi everybody. I'm back from my trip to see my husband it was amazingly wonderfully. I tried phasing off before I went and I'm going to be really, really honest. I failed miserably. Phase 2 was fine. Phase 3 was horrible. I don't know what my deal was but I just threw all the rules out the window and went right back to ALL my bad eat habits the moment I hit phase 3. I gained at least 5lbs over the last 2 weeks. Probably more, but I can't remember my last weight for sure.

The good-ish news is that, after some prodding, my husband said he could see a difference in my weight and that my stomach and legs look smaller. He says he didn't say anything before I asked because he's gotten in trouble for commenting on my body in the past. -_- Not sure if I'm buying it.

We had a really good visit and after my extremely exhausting 30 hours of travel (3 countries, 3 planes, 11 hours in layovers, 19 hours in the air - yes I'm whining) I jumped right back into phase 1. Today is day 2.
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

A reminder to those with headaches! Low carb food plans cause the body to dump sodium which causes headaches - up your sodium or eat a couple pickles to cure a headache.

http://www.all-the-news.com/health/6...o-avoid-them-2
4. Sodium Requirements go Way up on Low-Carb Diets
A high-carb diet raises insulin levels. That we know.

One of the side effects of elevated insulin is that the kidneys start hoarding sodium, which leads to bloating and excess water weight.

This is the reason people lose so much weight when they start a low-carb/ketogenic diet. Their body “sheds” the excess sodium and water follows along.

This is a good thing, but it can become too much of a good thing when your kidneys keep dumping sodium until you become deficient.

Sodium is a crucial electrolyte in the body and cells require it to remain within a tight range.

If you ever feel “lousy” on low-carb; headache, fatigue, lightheadedness, even constipation then you should add some sodium to your diet (if you have a medical condition, consult your doctor).

There’s no need to fear a little extra sodium on a low-carb diet. Your requirement goes up and you are simply replacing what is lost via urine.

What you can do is simply put more salt on your food (salt = sodium + chloride).

Or better yet, you can drink a cup of broth every day.

What I do is dissolve an organic (no MSG) bouillon cube in a cup of hot water and drink. Adds 2g of sodium to my daily intake.

It’s delicious actually. Like a low-calorie soup in a cup. Yum.

5. Not Supplementing With Potassium And Magnesium
Another two electrolytes that may need to be supplemented are potassium and magnesium.

According to most of the low-carb/keto experts, including Dr. Petter Attia, Dr. Michael Eades, Drs. Volek and Phinney and Lyle McDonald, supplementing with magnesium and potassium is a good idea.

Personally I take 200mg of Potassium with each meal and 400mg of Magnesium Citrate in the evening, about an hour or two before sleep.

Dr Phinney's Nov 2016 talk on low carb with inclusions about the latest studies on sodium requirements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0U006YZ2w

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

Great information, thanks for sharing Liana our supplements are different here in Aus, will go and check them as I am pretty sure I am lacking something as I always feel a bit dodgy.

Huskiesbabiesmama Whine away lol sounds very 'whine worthy' to me very interesting about the phase 3 challenge. I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. Great job getting back to protocol. Glad the visit went well & your hubby did say he could see a difference even if you had to prod it out of him. My husband comments randomly but I do basically make him and I had to tell him I find it encouraging when he comments.

Fantastic results Twotots! We are the opposite, we have a winter holiday booked for July.

Still plugging along here, not sure if it's happily or not funny thing is I am almost at the smallest clothes size I have been but still 9ish kilograms from my goal (I was aiming to be in this size which was when I was 60kg previously). Am thinking of re-evaluating my goal to 65kg. to be honest I'll just be glad to be done with this program -which I do think is awesome & very effective- and get on with exercising and maintaining.
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

fitnhappy, it could be that you are recomping. Lost fat and then replace with less bulky muscle means you can weigh more but be smaller - this is where the tape measure (or a favorite slim fitting non-stretchy garment) helps to see the progress. I wouldn't worry about an actual number... what do your clothes and mirror tell you?

Liana

rereading my prev. post it sounded like I'm the one taking the mag citrate and potassium but the quote was from the blog post. I do take potassium and mag bisglycinate but not those same levels as the poster.
sorry for any confusion
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #353  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

I thought I'd share something I had recently discovered...

When I make eggs as my protein, I would always choose to poach them because it is the only way I found that I could have them be just as good on this protocol because poaching requires no fat; although, my favorite way to eat eggs is scrambled. Poaching left me with a problem which was what I was going to use as "toast" to sop up the egg yolk. So, I would make bread out of the Quest multi-purpose protein powder but this would cause me to subtract how many eggs I could have so as to not go over my protein allotment.

Well, I watched a Gordon Ramsay YouTube video for the proper way to make scrambled eggs and lo and behold, it works while being on protocol (I had to adjust how he did it but I realized the way to get creamy eggs is not because of fattening or shortening or dairy (cream) added but how you prepare and cook them).

I have made these multiple times and they are just delicious, not the dry, unappetizing scrambled eggs I used to make on this protocol or the awful omelette packets!

1 - Spray non-stick spray in pan
2 - Heat pan until it sizzles
3 - Crack the eggs directly into the hot pan (I used to scramble my eggs in a bowl first by whisking them and then pour them in but he says this causes them to break down)
4 - Spray a little oil into the pan (I use a Misto Olive Oil spritzer)
5 - Stir the eggs - remove from heat when they are not quite ready as the hot pan will finish them for you.
6 - I found that I used to overcook my scrambled eggs also. Take them off the heat while they are still a little wet. Continue to stir and then put on plate.
7 - Now, add salt and pepper (I used to do this in the bowl when I whisked them but he says this causes the eggs to break down too)
8 - They should appear and taste as if you used some sort of dairy for creaminess but you didn't and they are so creamy and delicious nonetheless!

Last edited by Ro22; 04-16-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #354  

Great info for the egg lovers! Thanks Ro

How did everyone fair through Easter?

We went out for lunch to a restaurant for the first time since I started IP (we used to eat out 2-3 times a week!) and to be quite honest I found the whole experience very challenging. The family ate all our old favourites and I kept to steak and salad. I was silly and didn't think about dressing so I had none. The salad also came out with the finest shredded carrot all through it you've ever seen even though it was a 'green salad'. I sat there picking off the carrot and ate very little lettuce as I felt rather hard done by and over it by then. Silly me!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 188/180/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Easter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnhappy View Post
Great info for the egg lovers! Thanks Ro

We went out for lunch to a restaurant for the first time since I started IP (we used to eat out 2-3 times a week!) and to be quite honest I found the whole experience very challenging. The family ate all our old favourites and I kept to steak and salad. I was silly and didn't think about dressing so I had none. The salad also came out with the finest shredded carrot all through it you've ever seen even though it was a 'green salad'. I sat there picking off the carrot and ate very little lettuce as I felt rather hard done by and over it by then. Silly me!
Easter killed me! I went in on the fence to begin with, and when a cousin confided in me with some terrible news, it was the excuse I needed to start eating and drinking. Yesterday was no better, honestly, but today I'm going to really try to jump back on. I was thinking of jumping ship altogether, but this diet really works if you can get your head into it, so I'm going to try again.
LucyLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #356  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Ro22
Quote:
Well, I watched a Gordon Ramsay YouTube video for the proper way to make scrambled eggs and lo and behold, it works while being on protocol (I had to adjust how he did it but I realized the way to get creamy eggs is not because of fattening or shortening or dairy (cream) added but how you prepare and cook them).

I have made these multiple times and they are just delicious, not the dry, unappetizing scrambled eggs I used to make on this protocol or the awful omelette packets
I whisk my eggs lightly with a little water -- and then cook just as Gordon says -- I think that the eggs themselves continue to cook from their own heat when you remove the pan from the heat - I watched Martha Stewart do scrambled eggs and learned that trick of removing from heat early. The water I add creates a bit of steam to help the final product be light and stay creamy. Either way - I am glad you found a good method that you are enjoying. Eggs are my lifeline on this program and I know they will be on a keto WOE when I get to maintenance.

Fitnhappy
Quote:

Oh so sorry you had a less than fun restaurant experience!! I have to advise you that you should not be afraid to send stuff back and ask for the salad without the carrots. Especially when they were so finely shredded and hard to remove!

Also - I do this all the time in restaurants -- ask them to bring you vinegar (they always are prepared with bottled vinegar for those who want just vinegar and oil as dressing), and I ask them to bring me a small dish -- I mix about 3 or 4 teaspoons vinegar with equal parts of water, and I add salt, pepper and a couple of splendas -- this makes a very nice tart dressing with no oil -- and even though you were not prepared, you would have enjoyed the salad a lot more. I use this dressing at home all the time and make it with liquid Stevia (NOW Better Stevia is the brand). It allows me to use my oil for other stuff including adding to muffins or breads made from packets.

LucyLoo
Quote:
Easter killed me! I went in on the fence to begin with, and when a cousin confided in me with some terrible news, it was the excuse I needed to start eating and drinking. Yesterday was no better, honestly, but today I'm going to really try to jump back on. I was thinking of jumping ship altogether, but this diet really works if you can get your head into it, so I'm going to try again.
The inner saboteur manages to convince us to do what we know will not take us in the direction we want to go... I highly recommend Elizabeth Benton's podcasts on beating the mind game to reinvent your relationship with food -- she has great messages and motivation -- www.primalpotential.com is her website and her podcasts are on iTunes too. The other good source of help in winning the mind game is The Beck Solution by Judith Beck -- I think someone mentioned it in another thread recently and it really is a good source of ways to build better habits when it comes to making good choices, despite emotional situations, boredom, or being overly tired. The Beck Solution is applicable no matter what food plan you are on -- it's about the mind game. And it is the mind that convinced us to eat our way into being fat in the first place. Check out these resources -- they can be a big help for the long game.

I was on one of the IP facebook pages this morning and I saw screen shots from the soon to be released Ideal Protein app that can be used to log food diary and track losses. It looked ok -- I hope it includes a way to record time of meals -- that's a biggie that my coach is looking for whenever she reviews my diary.

Hang in everyone! We can do this!!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #357  

Great tips Oneuh, thank you! I really should have sent the salad back. I will be more organised next time and ask for some vinegar and oil for sure.

Lucy Loo, sorry that Easter was rough for you. How did your day go getting back on track?

Yesterday was the first time I've actually 'exercised' since beginning IP. My husband had the day off and said he'd like to walk the lake which is 6km. We used to do a lot of walking before we had kids and there's nothing nicer then a nice walk and talk I think so I agreed. Did it easily then late in the afternoon we had a builder in our driveway whose car had broken down and totally blocked our cars from getting out and I had to collect my two youngest boys from the sitter so I had to walk. It wasn't too far (about 2km) but I was going really flat out as I didn't want to be late and then I had to carry the toddler home in the baby carrier UPHILL lol I weigh daily and I was up 400grams this morning and I'm never more than 200grams up no matter what so I'm thinking all the exercise did me in! My body felt so good moving again though and I felt so much lighter on my feet and fit.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #358  

S/C/G: 188/180/150

Height: 5'7"

Oneuh2: Thanks for the recommendations: I'll look them up! I'm especially interested in the podcast. I've been listening to the Half Size Me podcast on the way to work in the morning, and listening to other people talk about the same struggles that I'm having has really helped.
My Back-on-Track day went well: Thanks for asking, Fitnhappy. I had to get up early for a Doc apt over an hour away, and I managed to pack a bag of good food before I left so that I was prepared for lunch...which I ate on the highway driving home, so it's a good thing I had it with me because I was starving. The first time that I did IP, my husband did it with me. This time, I'm going solo, and it's harder because "the other food" is still in the house. If I am not prepared at all times I risk grabbing a handful of nuts or chocolate chips...just because they're there. That kid carrier ordeal sounds like an awesome workout: You should market it! I need to get back to the gym. (Busy busy...)
LucyLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #359  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

YAY!! Easter is behind us and we are heading on toward Summer... great time to be losing excess pounds and I am glad to be in such good company!

And in case you did not notice - Ishbel started a new thread today and posted the link to her IP photo album and her story -- check it out - Ishbel is a real inspiration on Ideal Protein -- 5 years since reaching goal she is still at goal, except she had a baby and made the successful journey back to her goal weight. What a challenge!!!

Last edited by oneuh2; 04-19-2017 at 10:19 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #360  

Will go and check out that thread Oneuh

LucyLoo, glad the day went well & good on you for being prepared!

I swear it seems I only post my whinges here and I am actually really happy in real life and with IP but here goes.... toddler woke at 1am this morning so having only been asleep maybe an hour I begrudgingly trudge into his room, carry him downstairs and as I'm walking he began vomiting. Urgghhh!! All over me, him and thankfully the tiles. I'm standing there totally bewildered as he'd been totally fine all day, had to strip him off and me too so I didn't bring any grossness upstairs and woke the husband up who went and cleaned it up and put a load of washing on while I jumped in the shower with toddler.
I sat up with him until 4.45am when he was finally in a deep sleep and hadn't vomited for more than an hour (he only vomited twice, so weird) so i risked a cot transfer and went to bed myself. Biggest son has soccer clinic so I had to be out of the house by 8am all on less than 3.5hrs total sleep. Feel like garbage husband rang at lunchtime to see how everyone was and I snapped 'tired but fine' and basically hung up on him urghhh! Such a crappy crappy exhausting day. Toddler has been his normal self. Husband doesn't get home until after 6pm and it cannot come quick enough because I am going to bed.

I'm fighting the 'I need to eat junk' demons really badly and reminding myself what I need is sleep!

I'll have to really try and find some positive updates to share. Sorry