Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #436  

S/C/G: 153.00

Height: 5.4

Default I'm thinking about giving IP a try

I hope I did this right...am I in the right place? I'm so glad to have found this forum. I am really thinking I am going to do this program. I just heard about it and met with the coach last Thursday. The cost is a tough one. I've had a couple other times in my life where programs like this have worked well for me. Anyone else new, just starting? Where do you hang out on the forum?
reedkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #437  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedkat View Post
I hope I did this right...am I in the right place? I'm so glad to have found this forum. I am really thinking I am going to do this program. I just heard about it and met with the coach last Thursday. The cost is a tough one. I've had a couple other times in my life where programs like this have worked well for me. Anyone else new, just starting? Where do you hang out on the forum?
Hi Reedkat,

There isn't much activity here any longer because of Facebook so there are typically few threads each day with new activity so it should be easy to know where to hang out here in Ideal Protein.

Regarding the cost, you can use alternatives to greatly reduce the cost. You can get protocol compliant products at GNC or Amazon, Nashua Netrition (online). There is an alternatives thread here that you can go through as well as a large Facebook group who do this.
Personally, I have done both but I find IP to have the best tasting packets so I feel cost is worth it. For me, I used alternatives out of convenience but I prefer the taste of IP packets.

If interested in alternatives, you could just ask questions here and we'll answer.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #438  

S/C/G: 285/274/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedkat View Post
Welcome! I'm pretty new as well - not quite three weeks in - but I'll give you a few thoughts since I was recently in the same boat

I did a ton of research and reading before joining IP, and I also had a couple of doctors recommend it to me. So I was fairly comfortable coming into it knowing that it would work if I put the effort in. I've never read of anyone who followed protocol who didn't lose weight (some have felt it was slower than they would like, but they were still losing). Keeping it off can be more difficult, but I think if you peruse the rebooters thread, you'll see that it's not something (like the HCG program) where people tend to put the weight back on immediately. LOTS of people keep it off for good, and those who don't typically don't backslide for quite some time after. This program really does (at least from my reading) do a great job of helping you change behaviors and discover new ways of eating that make losing weight and keeping it off feasible. And while my second WI wasn't awesome, averaging it with what I lost the first week and what my home scale says I've lost the last few days, I'm definitely moving in the right direction.

Of course, depending on your starting weight and how much you want to lose, you may see slower results to start. For instance, a friend of mine started IP around the same time I did and really only had about 10 lbs she wanted to lose. Whereas I lost 10 lbs the first week, she only lost about 2. Big difference is I had a LOT more to lose. She, however, pretty quickly transitioned to a modified IP diet that works better for her, but is still helping her achieve a healthier diet and lifestyle.

As for the cost - it is expensive! I'm averaging about the same cost as I used to with food b/c I had a horrible habit of eating out all the time. But I'm not saving money on the program. I personally like several of the IP packets (bacon & cheese omelet, nacho dorados, the chocolate soy puffs and chocolate caramel mug cake are my favorites), but there's a GREAT list of alternatives a few threads down that can help make things more cost effective. For instance, I buy Premier Protein shakes at Costco at a fraction of what the IP equivalent would cost.

A lot of people seem to do alternative products only, so that's an option. But I like going in weekly(ish) to get weighed but mostly measured. I, personally, like having that milestone every week, and I think it helps keep me accountable. But there's no right way other than to do whichever works best for you.

The net/net of all of this - do what you think works for you! I'm all in favor of full on following the IP protocol b/c I think it's a sure fire way to get to where you want to be.

Hope this helped!
leslied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #439  

S/C/G: 234.8/227.8/185

Height: 5'11

One week in down 7 pounds but its tough. Both the headaches and the um back-up.....
Mark1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #440  

S/C/G: 153.00

Height: 5.4

Thanks everyone -

RO - I'll go look around on FB then and see what is going on there. I used this forum when I did HCG 7 years ago, so I was looking forward to this again but ya, FB has changed a lot.

Leslied - Thanks so much, very helpful. I haven't researched it much so I appreciate you did! I think the full protocol is what I am going to do, do it right the first time. Then later, maybe if I need a small reset, I will use all the alternatives. Makes sense about the weight loss and how far you need to go. I think % weight loss is a good indicator maybe.

Mark - Thanks, that's awesome! What are you finding tough about it? Headaches and back-up...water water water! I use Smooth Move, its always done wonders for me.
reedkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #441  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1962 View Post
One week in down 7 pounds but its tough. Both the headaches and the um back-up.....
Headaches are often cause by insufficient sodium. The body flushes water and sodium out while you are eating low carb and unless you have specific reasons to eat less sodium we really need to be getting more - a minimum of 3-5000 mg/day. Here's a legitimate link to the latest studies on sodium needs for people eating a low carb diet:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-war-on-salt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4
Also if you've cut out grains and dairy you will have an opiate withdrawal from gliadin derived peptides and alpha casein called exorphins and this will cause headaches, brain fog, depression, anxiety, and other symptoms. (Journal of Biological Chemistry)
http://www.jbc.org/content/254/7/2446.short
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #442  

Hi All,
I'm new here. I started the Ideal Protein Diet Officially on August 18, 2017, My weigh in was on 8/17. My starting weight was 227.9.

A little about me. I am 6'2 228 lbs (Hoping to be 185-190) 50 Year old divorced Dad of 3 (18,20,22) who is now a full time emptynester. I am an Web Developer/PM and also a Biker. (Harley Road King)

Although I am not overly over weight, 40 pounds is a pretty good amount over weight. I am going to be doing the IPD though a clinic. I need the weekly accountability.

Honestly, I know how to eat properly. I know how to exercise properly. It is lack of execution, lack of accountability that has held me back. I am happy that there are "packets" of food to take the thinking out of this for me because it I am given a choice, even though I know better, I make the wrong choice.

I have timed the starting of IPD with my youngest going off to college. I have had him Wednesday night and every other weekend. We would eat out a lot or order Pizza. With him gone, it is only me that I have to make happy.....and right now, losing weight will do that.

Any way, Thats enough of my rambling, What do I do or where do I post next?

Thanks for Listening (reading),
Solo
solorider67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #443  

Oh another Question, Is there a Daily Accountability thread?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #444  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Hi Solo,

Welcome! Feel free to post in any of the threads. These boards are kind of quiet as Facebook has attracted people away but I prefer this one.

Some people post in the what are you eating today as they feel that helps with accountability but feel free to post in anyone or even start a new one.

Good luck and if you have any questions we are here.

You'll lose the weight in no time at all, btw.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #445  

Did anyone else experience back aches the first week? The area between my shoulder blades seems to be sore all the time. My lower back gets sore during the evenings. I am not doing anything different in my routine other than eating the protocol.

Tomorrow is my first weigh in. I am excited for it. I am curious as to how much I weight I lost beause a woman at work asked me if I had lost weight. Also I stopped by the clinic to pick up more food and my coach saw me and she made a comment about the weight coming off fast.

One thing that I was surprised about was how easy it was for me to give up my Diet Soda addiction. Seriously, I would easilly drink 4-5 20 oz bottles a day at work. When I have tried stopping the diet coke cold turkey within 2 days, I would get bad headaches and they would go away almost instantly when I gave in and had a soda.

I will post my week 1 weigh in results some time tomorrow. (right after my weigh in I baby sint my 11.5 months old grandson.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #446  

S/C/G: 237/237/150

Default Alternative phase 1 ideal protein

Hi there,

Quick question for everyone about the alternative program phase 1. Are you supposed to weigh the items in groups 1, 2, and 3 (if applicable) before consuming? For instance, oatmeal or pasta? Weight it before cooking? I emailed a clinic but she kept saying "generally" (too vague) and brushed me off to another clinic so I'm at a loss with what to do. Thank you.
sweetheart614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #447  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart614 View Post
Hi there,

Quick question for everyone about the alternative program phase 1. Are you supposed to weigh the items in groups 1, 2, and 3 (if applicable) before consuming? For instance, oatmeal or pasta? Weight it before cooking? I emailed a clinic but she kept saying "generally" (too vague) and brushed me off to another clinic so I'm at a loss with what to do. Thank you.
Sorry I don't know the alternative protocol. However, I suggest try searching the boards here as there are threads on this topic. Also, you could try to Google the answer- I'm sure you will get it in one or both places.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #448  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart614 View Post
Hi there,

I did Alternative Phases and the measurements for the groups aren't by weight on a scale but by cup/grams/oz. measurements COOKED and for fruit it's average sized. ie. 1/2 c beans or 125 grams/ml cooked/canned beans. I don't have the sheet in front of me (I'm at work) so my example may not have the correct amount but I'm sure you know what I mean.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #449  

S/C/G: 192/162.8/118

Height: 5'1"

Hi there! Started IP in June and am down almost 20 pounds on it (I had lost 10 before I started). I had reached the highest number I've ever seen in my adult life on the scale. Suffer from PCOS so I've always been a curvier girl, but relationship weight and starting law school tipped me over the edge. Getting married in July and trying to stay accountable! Love seeing y'alls posts and success stories! Gonna need accountability this weekend to not have some wine while stuck inside from the hurricane.

Also, can anyone tell me where to order products online? I can't seem to find a page anywhere that lets me do more than just view them. I will be out of products in a few days and want to get some coming so that I'm not in trouble with roads being flooded here. Anything you can point me towards helps a lot!

Last edited by Sunnygirl0675; 08-26-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Sunnygirl0675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #450  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi Sunnygirl! Welcome!

I'm not sure where to order IP products online, but I buy Alternative products from Nashua Nutrition. You would need to check each product with the calorie/carb/fat content that can be found on one of the threads on this forum. (Alternatives)

I find the Healthsmart Products and Proti-Thin Brands are good and many are comparable to IP products.

Best of luck!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote