Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 206/186/160

Height: 5"2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyjean View Post
Happy Saturday all! Had my WI and gained a pound. Oh well.

Some of you have asked... I have 4 kids: Dd, 30- with 3.5 kids. New on is due in feb. they live in GA. Second DD is 26, just moved to England, she has a 21 month old. Then Dd #3 is 25. She lives in GA and is engaged. Then we have DS, 23, married, lives in GA.

Found out yesterday that I have lupus. They took 8 more vials of blood to figure put which kind. I don't feel terrible, sounds like it has for years been misdiagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis. Anyway, I am reacting to this better as I am nearing then end of my weight loss. Guess I am deer in the headlights until I figure out what this means, and if it will change my life at all.
Sorry to here about the lupus, will add you to my prayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Alright all my dehydrator heros and dehydrator wish listers... why hasn't anyone suggested dehydrating cauli rice? I'm a lazy cook and the biggest hold back for the cauli recipes has been.. *sigh* first I gotta make the cauli rice.. THEN I can move ahead. (Yes yes, I'm the youngest child and even at 50 it's all about me ) But seriously (and the first part was joking of course) do you see any issues doing that? If it works I'd gladly do 2 or 3 heads ahead of time and use as much as I need when needed. Soaking the dried "rice" a bit ahead and use as needed etc.

I only had 1/2 a small head of cauliflower in the fridge, so I got out the cheese grater and just "riced" what I had, put it in a bowl and microwaved it for 2 min to try and blanch it some. Then I put it in the strainer and washed it off (not sure why - I just did - made more things to clean up after that way) and let it drain. It's now in the dehydrator so we'll see what happens. I might have gone to a bunch of trouble for something that's a no-brainer to begin with, but I feel like I'm planning ahead for the week this way at any rate. Also made more room in my veggie drawer.
Halfagain, this sounds good, I've been begging for a dehydrator fr DH, if this works I may just have to go over his head, ha. Good news I got all fixed up for MFP, turns out I was already signed in along time ago but never used it because it was on my phone, too hard to see but now I have my iPad that I love, so now I'm ready,set, go! And I've already asked you guys to be my friends ok.

Today has been a little hard for me, I have had two tastes of illegal stuff, so upset with myself, wish I could just spit it back out, lesson learned eat on time and you'll be fine , totally not worth this I screwed up feeling, but it's over nothing to do now but go forward and BE GOOD! I did go to 3 craft fairs today and got some homemade pot holders, scrubbers, and plastic bag holders for christmass gifts, so cute. So I'm officially started x-mass shopping.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #377  

Location: Mountains of East PA but originally from New Orleans

S/C/G: 240/206/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
awww how sweet. I'm a knitter - well used to be. All my stash is stored away hoping someday I'll get a hankering to knit again. The great news about loosing weight now is:
  • All those sweaters I have the lovely yarn to make will take me 1/2 the time to knit them!
  • Since I didn't get them done, ripping what I did do out and starting over will be easy.
  • I'm getting colder more, so I would wear the sweaters more
  • There are more cute patterns written for normal size ladies than plus size ladies - while i can modify a pattern, it's so nice to just knit without doing math to make it work
  • I have lots of extra yarn purchased for the larger size garmets - which means I have less chance of running out of a hand dyed colorway that I can't find again if the project takes more than expected
  • I have a good 5 months before i get to goal weight yet, so I can procrastinate starting a new sweater project until I know what size I'll want to knit
  • During procrastination I can shop for more yarn (ooo hope hubby isn't reading)
  • Oh hey.. ultimately I will buy less yarn overall because I don't need as much per project...once again IP saves money!
Okay much of that is joking about buying more. My stash of yarn would choke a elephant - or rather if you were in to felting, you could felt an elephant out of it. Hmmm speaking of felting.. that burns a lot of yarn fast for a felted hat. It's a nice big chunky knit to make a monster hat that you wash until it shrinks into a cute little wool cap... and my head shouldn't get smaller.. maybe I'll do that! Hubby would swoon if I made him another.. he loves a felted hat and he's deserving putting up with my stash in his garage.

I am somewhere between laughing really hard and totally identifying with what you are sharing. My husband always asks, when I'm working on a project, so how many times have you ripped it out now and started over?
He is spot on... Sigh.

My stash varies from the really good stuff to YAY AC Moore just had a 30% off sale! That was last weekend so I stocked up on a number of skeins for crocheting projects. I am crocheting at this time (and thinking about a little tatting too) in that the back surgery I had recently makes knitting positioning hurt. How odd! But, that's ok. I have yarn in my hands and the hook feels ok. I love knitting and spent a few weeks last year learning Continental style rather than what I call Normal knitting. LOL. Or did I get that backwards. Anyway, it was fun to switch back and forth and keep the stitches looking the same.

Today marked 72 hours with no pain med from the surgery and then this evening I had (in tears) to throw in the towel. I'm on a minimum but want so desperately not to have to take anything. I do battle with fibromyalgia so I should probably cut myself some slack. Ah well. I am thankful there is a relief to turn to when so many have not even the opportunity for surgical solution. Smile.

Thanks again for talking about knitting and stashes! You made my day!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #378  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykatcooper View Post
I am somewhere between laughing really hard and totally identifying with what you are sharing. My husband always asks, when I'm working on a project, so how many times have you ripped it out now and started over?
He is spot on... Sigh.

My stash varies from the really good stuff to YAY AC Moore just had a 30% off sale! That was last weekend so I stocked up on a number of skeins for crocheting projects. I am crocheting at this time (and thinking about a little tatting too) in that the back surgery I had recently makes knitting positioning hurt. How odd! But, that's ok. I have yarn in my hands and the hook feels ok. I love knitting and spent a few weeks last year learning Continental style rather than what I call Normal knitting. LOL. Or did I get that backwards. Anyway, it was fun to switch back and forth and keep the stitches looking the same.

Today marked 72 hours with no pain med from the surgery and then this evening I had (in tears) to throw in the towel. I'm on a minimum but want so desperately not to have to take anything. I do battle with fibromyalgia so I should probably cut myself some slack. Ah well. I am thankful there is a relief to turn to when so many have not even the opportunity for surgical solution. Smile.

Maycat- I love that you enjoy knitting so much that you are willing to change things up in order to continue. That's awesome.
About the meds- don't they say that if you need meds, just take them, because you will heal faster? You know what you can handle! I just want you to get back to "normal" ASAP
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #379  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
http://www.easy-food-dehydrating.com...uliflower.html

~ Dehydrating Cauliflower ~
...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sooo going to try this tomorrow!!!
Awesome! Thanks for the info... I thought the blanching was a plus, glad I didn't do it "just because" afterall :-) I wasn't sure. Since I wanted it rice size, i blanched it after I riced it. I suppose I could dump the riced bits into boiling water for a little while, then drain them in the strainer easily enough (would save the mirco wave and heat spots). The dehydrating is still underway, and of course the smaller they shrink the more they will fall thru the screen. So I put the roll up tray (solid sheet) under the one tray I have going in case they fall thru. I didn't worry about making them spread out a lot so they are sort of drying clumped in parts, but I'll see if they disengage in the end to make dried rice looking stuff... I'll get a photo out of the end result tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
This is a belated introduction from a forum lurker. ....
After 3 weeks, I had my bloodwork done. Spectacular numbers! I had worked with a nutritionist in my doctor's office a few years ago and the more I followed her program, the worse my numbers got. These numbers were awesome.

I started Alternatives at 193 pounds. After 4 weeks, I'd lost 12 pounds. Now I'm at week 6 and have lost 15. This plan is the first time I've truly believed it's possible to 1) get back down into a normal weight range and 2) stay there. .
Welcome WebRover! I'm going in to have some bloodwork done, to ensure all is well after loosing 80+ pounds. I'm tempted to wait till 100 lbs gone just to be at that mile stone, but I guess 1/2 way is a good enough one to use as well. I'm feeling confident in the alternatives I'm using and my resolve to follow this thru to the end (and beyond.. with maintenance). Hmm it never really ends... it just changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesmyqueen View Post
Halfagain, this sounds good, I've been begging for a dehydrator fr DH, if this works I may just have to go over his head, ha. Good news I got all fixed up for MFP, turns out I was already signed in along time ago but never used it because it was on my phone, too hard to see but now I have my iPad that I love, so now I'm ready,set, go! And I've already asked you guys to be my friends ok.

Today has been a little hard for me, I have had two tastes of illegal stuff, so upset with myself, wish I could just spit it back out, lesson learned eat on time and you'll be fine , totally not worth this I screwed up feeling, but it's over nothing to do now but go forward and BE GOOD! I did go to 3 craft fairs today and got some homemade pot holders, scrubbers, and plastic bag holders for christmass gifts, so cute. So I'm officially started x-mass shopping.
Hooray for the MFP setup! Glad you got it straightened out. I hear you on temptation. I was sure to eat a good lunch before I went to Costco today, and yet I still tried a couple samples. One was a Stabilize protein bar. It looks legal for IP to me, but I wasn't thrilled with the taste, so glad I tried it. The other was http://www.costco.com/Qunol%e2%84%a2....11678293.html which I didn't think I needed, but the sample tasted great, and they made it sound all good.. yah I got suckered into that one... especially when he said i could bring it all back in two weeks for a full refund if I didn't feel the benefits. We'll see...
Craft fairs are awesome! That was nice you supported the homemade crafter out there too! What fun
Quote:
He is spot on... Sigh.

LOL I knew other crafters would get the stash comments. I have to laugh about it really. I heard some men talking in a restaurant - they had went to help an elderly man move his deceased wifes belongings. I know that's sad, but I had to stop from laughing out loud when they said she must have had dementia because she had totes and totes full of yarn! LMAO.. they could have been talking about ME! I can't die now until I use up some of my stash They are lucky I didn't jump into their conversation and say "what did you do with it!?" Hahaha some of my silks, alpaca, or hand dyed treasures had better not get pitched out as acrylic yarn might.... I will come back and haunt the guys who do that!
I totally get wanting to get off the pain meds, but if you need them still, take them. I'm happy you can still do some crafting. I'm sure the pills may be part of the frogging (aka ripping out projects "rip-it" "rip-it") :-) I know I have to stay away from lace if I'm even just tired - or in a group and having conversation.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #380  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
After reading Twindy's comment, I finally decided to check out Downton. Could definitely become addicted... Only season 1 is on Netflix. How do I get more when I finish that??
You can watch season 1 instantly on Netflix, but to watch season 2 you have to get the DVD from them, they have it. You will love the series -wonderful acting and I love the costumes. Maggie Smith is a kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I usually just watch the talent-type shows, like Project Runway, Biggest Loser, Top Chef, Dancing WTS, but after 9 or 10 years I'm a bit burned out. I started watching re-runs of Mad Men and loved it, but mainly because I remember so many of the ads from when I was a kid. And they have so many references to the way people thought (or didn't think) back then - like smoking and drinking (even when pregnant), careless remarks, or littering on the highway. We see that today and are aghast, but at the time it was just the way people were. I wonder what people will think about our behaviors 50 years from now.

Time to see what the other side of the pond has to say...sign me up for Downtown!
I really don't watch a lot of TV, but I am hooked on Downton Abby and Mad Men is on my list next.

Quote:
This is a belated introduction from a forum lurker. I'm 59, married, two kids, but we're empty nesters. About a year ago I watched one co-worker lose some weight on IP and now she has kept it off for a year. About 3 months ago 2 co-workers started losing weight on IP. I listened to their IP chatter in the breakroom and was encouraged that it might be possible to lose more weight. I'd lost 30 pounds and kept it off for several years. A year ago I went on a trip to Europe and started slowly gaining weight back - about 12 pounds in a year.

I started lurking in these forums and gaining information about the program. I went to an introductory presentation by the woman who is running the IP program my co-workers have used. It didn't seem very informational. I do better when I'm working on my own and accountable to myself anyway. So I decided to give it 4 weeks on my own with alternate products. If that didn't work, I'd sign up officially.

After 3 weeks, I had my bloodwork done. Spectacular numbers! I had worked with a nutritionist in my doctor's office a few years ago and the more I followed her program, the worse my numbers got. These numbers were awesome.

I started Alteratives at 193 pounds. After 4 weeks, I'd lost 12 pounds. Now I'm at week 6 and have lost 15. This plan is the first time I've truly believed it's possible to 1) get back down into a normal weight range and 2) stay there.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information sharing. You know you're helping the folks who speak up. There are probably many more, like me, who lurk and are helped as much.
So happy you are joining us and coming out of lurkdom. Congrats on how well you are doing and look forward to hearing more from you.

Quote:
:
As the nurse told my husband after his surgery, "If you need the pain medication TAKE IT. Eventually you won't need it, but don't try and be a hero in the meantime." Hope you are feeling better.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #381  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Lots I want to comment on here especially the STASH comments.

But I have a BIG problem which you will see in my siggy.

I thought maybe there was a prize for the most snow with the earlier snow talk. Just kidding I know there was no prize. But I rushed outside this morning and snapped a pic of my house.

Then downloaded it and it is HUGE. Not only that when I looked I realized there are Christmas lights there. I must have clicked on an old picture to download because they are identical except for the lights.

So I had to smile about the overheard comment about dementia.I think I'm a candidate- I have a huge stash of yarn, I can't tell the difference between Halloweén and Christmas (although they look the same here) and I can't getting the blinking big picture to delete!

So any help would be appreciated as long as I don't have to give up my stash!

Pat
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #382  

The pic is so big it stretched the thread and made things really hard for me to read (all posts!)

Thanks for removing! Sorry you had to take EVERYTHING off your sig

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #383  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The pic is so big it stretched the thread and made things really hard for me to read (all posts!)
Fiqured it out somewhat, I took everything off my signiture and that worked.
But will have to redo my ticker.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #384  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Bwahaha - this is happy cauli. Who says I'm not creative?

More to come in the morning. This is the dehydrated cauli rice.. I'll see how it works in pancakes or something tomorrow.. Wait! Do you want a close up?
Oh yes! you do want a close up.. I can tell :-)

I wish I was as tallented as Rainbow at doing photos.. but these will have to do for now.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #385  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyjean View Post
Maycat- I love that you enjoy knitting so much that you are willing to change things up in order to continue. That's awesome.
About the meds- don't they say that if you need meds, just take them, because you will heal faster? You know what you can handle! I just want you to get back to "normal" ASAP
Thanks so much for the sweet encouragement. I had to throw in the towel tonight. My left leg totally quit working for a while. Sort of scary. The surgeon warned me of such meanderings in the healing process. Here's hoping the Percocet kicks in soon... Smile. The free pattern I'm crocheting is
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/croch...-blanket/24962. Hopefully you can get to it and it is still free. The crocodile stitch is quite interesting. Thanks again for the reminder that the goal is to get back "normal" as quickly and fully as possible... not to be a die hard refuser of drug relief and help.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #386  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Maykat- That crocodile stitch is awesome. I saw some booty patterns with it but I think it is beyond my skill level. Maybe I'll try it when I feel brave. Hope you feel better with some rest.

Last edited by Fishette; 11-04-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #387  

Quote:

More to come in the morning. This is the dehydrated cauli rice.. I'll see how it works in pancakes or something tomorrow.. Wait! Do you want a close up?

I wish I was as tallented as Rainbow at doing photos.. but these will have to do for now.
Love the happy face!

I didn't dehydrate mine but got sick of needing to shred it every time I needed some for a recipe. There is now raw cauli rice in my freezer, waiting for the next recipe. While I was shredding, I did the whole head and froze the rest. Only had to make the mess once, too! I wish I had a bigger food processor. Mine is really small. Most of the time I hand-grate.
I've actually frozen several things so they won't go bad in the fridge: shredded zucc (in snack bags), chopped bell peppers (I did these in ice cube trays) before putting in a bag, and now the cauli rice.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #388  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
This is a belated introduction from a forum lurker. I'm 59, married, two kids, but we're empty nesters. About a year ago I watched one co-worker lose some weight on IP and now she has kept it off for a year. About 3 months ago 2 co-workers started losing weight on IP. I listened to their IP chatter in the breakroom and was encouraged that it might be possible to lose more weight. I'd lost 30 pounds and kept it off for several years. A year ago I went on a trip to Europe and started slowly gaining weight back - about 12 pounds in a year.

I started lurking in these forums and gaining information about the program. I went to an introductory presentation by the woman who is running the IP program my co-workers have used. It didn't seem very informational. I do better when I'm working on my own and accountable to myself anyway. So I decided to give it 4 weeks on my own with alternate products. If that didn't work, I'd sign up officially.

I started Alteratives at 193 pounds. After 4 weeks, I'd lost 12 pounds. Now I'm at week 6 and have lost 15. This plan is the first time I've truly believed it's possible to 1) get back down into a normal weight range and 2) stay there.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information sharing. You know you're helping the folks who speak up. There are probably many more, like me, who lurk and are helped as much.
Welcome! Hope you check in with us often Looks like you are doing very well on your IP journey! And congrats on your excellent blood work numbers! Getting healthier is what it's all about. (Hello to all of you other lurkers! Hope your journeys are also going well!)

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info... I thought the blanching was a plus, glad I didn't do it "just because" afterall :-) I wasn't sure. Since I wanted it rice size, i blanched it after I riced it. I suppose I could dump the riced bits into boiling water for a little while, then drain them in the strainer easily enough (would save the mirco wave and heat spots). The dehydrating is still underway, and of course the smaller they shrink the more they will fall thru the screen. So I put the roll up tray (solid sheet) under the one tray I have going in case they fall thru. I didn't worry about making them spread out a lot so they are sort of drying clumped in parts, but I'll see if they disengage in the end to make dried rice looking stuff... I'll get a photo out of the end result tomorrow.

Wonder how much the air flow would be cut down in the dehydrator by using a paper towel or cheesecloth on each tray for the grated cauli?

LOL I knew other crafters would get the stash comments.
I still have some fabric stashed, even though I haven't had my sewing machine out in years & years! Have gotten rid of some in garage sales, but have a few pieces I just don't want to say bye-bye to. Also have a large tub full of scrapbooking papers & misc. Am thinking of giving a lot of that to my granddaughters in a year or 2...?

Quote:

Cute! Be sure to let us know how the pancakes turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I didn't dehydrate mine but got sick of needing to shred it every time I needed some for a recipe. There is now raw cauli rice in my freezer, waiting for the next recipe. While I was shredding, I did the whole head and froze the rest. Only had to make the mess once, too! I wish I had a bigger food processor. Mine is really small. Most of the time I hand-grate.
I've actually frozen several things so they won't go bad in the fridge: shredded zucc (in snack bags), chopped bell peppers (I did these in ice cube trays) before putting in a bag, and now the cauli rice.
I too freeze shredded zucc & chopped peppers, along with purees. How does the grated cauli hold up after freezing? Is the texture still good, or does it get mushy?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #389  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
I too freeze shredded zucc & chopped peppers, along with purees. How does the grated cauli hold up after freezing? Is the texture still good, or does it get mushy?
Doesn't matter to me...I'm just gonna cook it! But I'll let you know
(Oh yes! Some ugly lookin purées in my freezer, too!)

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #390  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
Maykat- That crocodile stitch is awesome. I saw some booty patterns with it but I think it is beyond my skill level. Maybe I'll try it when I feel brave. Hope you feel better with some rest.
The pattern was challenging for me at first... I'm still not sure that I'm really doing it all correctly but the blanket is almost done and it is beautiful. I did order the pattern for the booties and baby hats too... too.. too cute. I must be a dual sucker for both cute and for babies. LOL!
Closed Thread