Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 251/234/130

Height: 5'9

So I've been on the IP plan for about a month now and other than getting a little bored with the same foods all the time, I'm doing well. I've resisted any major cheats (alcohol and no no foods) but I'm feeling like that might not last through the weekend. My bf has been such a great support throughout this and even though he's not on the program (he has the metabolism of a 12 year old boy - unfair!) he has helped to cook dinners which meet the protocol and has done research on new recipes and has even stopped drinking around me, minus the playoff games! But tonight he says he thinks I deserve a night off and he's been itching to go out too. We are both very social people and I've tried to stay away from those social situations so I'm not too tempted. He doesn't want to go out without me but I'm not sure I'm secure enough yet to avoid the temptations. I don't really have the cravings for fatty foods and shots like I used to but old habits die hard. Ugh... first big obstacle to overcome.
petunia14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #122  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petunia14 View Post
So I've been on the IP plan for about a month now and other than getting a little bored with the same foods all the time, I'm doing well. I've resisted any major cheats (alcohol and no no foods) but I'm feeling like that might not last through the weekend. My bf has been such a great support throughout this and even though he's not on the program (he has the metabolism of a 12 year old boy - unfair!) he has helped to cook dinners which meet the protocol and has done research on new recipes and has even stopped drinking around me, minus the playoff games! But tonight he says he thinks I deserve a night off and he's been itching to go out too. We are both very social people and I've tried to stay away from those social situations so I'm not too tempted. He doesn't want to go out without me but I'm not sure I'm secure enough yet to avoid the temptations. I don't really have the cravings for fatty foods and shots like I used to but old habits die hard. Ugh... first big obstacle to overcome.
There aren't really any "days off" in phase 1. There are times when you may cheat, or you may have willpower to not cheat. Here's my plan for when I go out with friends: Look around the bar/restaurant/shop/etc. Pick out one person who has a great body. When you want to cheat, remember that you want to look like that. I can almost guarantee they don't look how they do without work (unless they're 18 and life hasn't caught up yet!). Then, the next morning, you'll feel great about yourself. If your boyfriend is supportive, that's awesome. Ask him to help you when you go out; I'm sure he'd be happy to!
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #123  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petunia14 View Post
But tonight he says he thinks I deserve a night off and he's been itching to go out too. We are both very social people and I've tried to stay away from those social situations so I'm not too tempted. He doesn't want to go out without me but I'm not sure I'm secure enough yet to avoid the temptations. I don't really have the cravings for fatty foods and shots like I used to but old habits die hard. Ugh... first big obstacle to overcome.
Boy, he sounds like a keeper. And I agree with Jolie; I'll bet he will help get you through. And it's good that you don't crave and want to avoid. Very good. I think you'll do fine. It's the unexpected, I think, that tends to trip up most people. You're prepared, you have back-up, and I hope you have/had a wonderful time. You deserve it for thinking conscientiously about what you're doing.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #124  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

ut oh, i messed up last night and had a few sips of vodka against my better judgement. it's wasn't much -- less than a shot, but it made me feel nauseous. yesterday was also a bad day because i only got 2 packets in, about 2 cups of vegetables, a small amount of my own protein, and not nearly enough water, salt or oil. i was out most of the day and was very ill prepared. i had to take all of my Cal-Mags at once around 11:00 last night. i am back to normal today and will make sure to always be prepared from now on.

how badly do you think this will affect my progress?
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #125  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
ut oh, i messed up last night and had a few sips of vodka against my better judgement. it's wasn't much -- less than a shot, but it made me feel nauseous. yesterday was also a bad day because i only got 2 packets in, about 2 cups of vegetables, a small amount of my own protein, and not nearly enough water, salt or oil. i was out most of the day and was very ill prepared. i had to take all of my Cal-Mags at once around 11:00 last night. i am back to normal today and will make sure to always be prepared from now on.

how badly do you think this will affect my progress?
OUCH! Boy, when you do things you sure do them in spades.

And I guess you'll find out soon enough how much it affected you. It will be a response particular to your body, activity level, how well you've stuck to the program in the past, etc. But it's in the past. Carla has several times talked about her preparedness bag, but I can't find it. Maybe she'd share again. I know a lot of us have followed her [very good] advice.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #126  

Default Even not being in ketosis, shouldn't we still be losing weight?

I'm feeling deprived...mainly because I love food and love to cook good food.

But really....I know we go into ketosis for a reason....to burn fat faster and if there are no carbs in your body to burn, then you'll burn fat...BUT, we are eating anywhere between 800 - 1000 calories a day! That is VERY low! Won't we lose weight even if our bodies aren't in ketosis?

I had a few cheats this weekend...nothing big...two tiny little samples at Costco, a few tablespoons of corn and beans in my salad, a tiny piece of low carb dark chocolate. None of that added up to even 100 calories.

Are you really telling me that just because my body isn't in ketosis, I won't lose weight with just eating less than 1000 calories a day?
greenwav99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #127  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwav99 View Post
I'm feeling deprived...mainly because I love food and love to cook good food.

But really....I know we go into ketosis for a reason....to burn fat faster and if there are no carbs in your body to burn, then you'll burn fat...BUT, we are eating anywhere between 800 - 1000 calories a day! That is VERY low! Won't we lose weight even if our bodies aren't in ketosis?

I had a few cheats this weekend...nothing big...two tiny little samples at Costco, a few tablespoons of corn and beans in my salad, a tiny piece of low carb dark chocolate. None of that added up to even 100 calories.

Are you really telling me that just because my body isn't in ketosis, I won't lose weight with just eating less than 1000 calories a day?
My nutrition class and health background has taught me that if you burn more calories than you put in, yes, you will lose weight. However, while you could eat 1000 calories worth of bread/candy/potatoes, I believe that you would still be hungry. You can eat 800 calories sticking to the IP protocol and not be hungry. Your body will eventually get used to running on 1000 calories, and then you'll have to go lower than that to lose weight. Isn't it worth it to do it this way, get into ketosis and get it over as quickly as possible? Also, not being in ketosis, you aren't as likely to be burning fat. You'll burn muscle because you aren't providing your body wth sufficient protein.

Carla (ShowgirlAZ) posted this in the thread you started about wondering what the average weekly loss was...
Quote:
It is true. Also, as you lose, you need fewer calories to sustain yourself so, you close the game between what you need to eat in calories and what you are eating. Some people have more muscle or faster metabolism ( I was on the lower side) so they can keep up a better average. Other people may not be able to do that and see lower numbers.

When you are maintaining a too low a calorie for your body for too long, you enter a starvation mode, it actually has an effect of dialing back the thyroid too. That means you will burn fat more slowly because your body needs/demands less. Over time,if you stay in starvation, you will begin to gain because (as I understand it) some of the processes your body needs to or tries to preform it will eat muscle for. As muscle is destroyed, metabolism dips farther and you begin to gain.
This program doesn't work if you cheat. You know that. You only did this program for 3 weeks back in August - why did you quit? How much do you want to lose to be done with it? Like you said somewhere else, you can lose 2 lbs a week without doing the program. If you don't want to follow it, find something that works for you! I hope you find what you need!
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
My nutrition class and health background has taught me that if you burn more calories than you put in, yes, you will lose weight. However, while you could eat 1000 calories worth of bread/candy/potatoes, I believe that you would still be hungry. You can eat 800 calories sticking to the IP protocol and not be hungry. Your body will eventually get used to running on 1000 calories, and then you'll have to go lower than that to lose weight. Isn't it worth it to do it this way, get into ketosis and get it over as quickly as possible? Also, not being in ketosis, you aren't as likely to be burning fat. You'll burn muscle because you aren't providing your body wth sufficient protein.

Carla (ShowgirlAZ) posted this in the thread you started about wondering what the average weekly loss was...

This program doesn't work if you cheat. You know that. You only did this program for 3 weeks back in August - why did you quit? How much do you want to lose to be done with it? Like you said somewhere else, you can lose 2 lbs a week without doing the program. If you don't want to follow it, find something that works for you! I hope you find what you need!
Mrs Diettrich, I really appreciate your input. You're right, and I know you are. I am (obviously) just frustrated and impatient! I went off the diet last year because I was going on three back to back trips...and I didn't want to miss out on enjoying myself (i.e. Eating!). I lost 10 pounds and was happy with that. I did gain a few pounds back, as expected, but that's okay. I'm finally trying to get back on the horse and get the rest of the weight off!

Weekends are the toughest, especially when we are out having fun and eating out.

All gripes that many of us have, I'm sure!

Thanks again for being such a great contributor. I've read many posts by you and some of the other prominent members!
greenwav99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #129  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwav99 View Post
Mrs Diettrich, I really appreciate your input. You're right, and I know you are. I am (obviously) just frustrated and impatient! I went off the diet last year because I was going on three back to back trips...and I didn't want to miss out on enjoying myself (i.e. Eating!). I lost 10 pounds and was happy with that. I did gain a few pounds back, as expected, but that's okay. I'm finally trying to get back on the horse and get the rest of the weight off!

Weekends are the toughest, especially when we are out having fun and eating out.

All gripes that many of us have, I'm sure!

Thanks again for being such a great contributor. I've read many posts by you and some of the other prominent members!
You're welcome! It's what we're here for, right? Maybe you can use this time to disassociate eating with having a good time... I have the hardest time on the weekend too - it lacks the structure that I have during the week and I start to feel out of sorts. You can still go out and have fun, just try to stick to restaurants where you can eat on program!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #130  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
OUCH! Boy, when you do things you sure do them in spades.

And I guess you'll find out soon enough how much it affected you. It will be a response particular to your body, activity level, how well you've stuck to the program in the past, etc. But it's in the past. Carla has several times talked about her preparedness bag, but I can't find it. Maybe she'd share again. I know a lot of us have followed her [very good] advice.
It is in lots of places (sure wish searching was easier) but, this is from the post I made in the tips for newbies.

Prepare a purse pack (Ziploc bag works or a makeup/cosmetics type bag) with: several packets of your on program sweetner, a few WF to go dressings, some hot tea bags, and 1 or 2 IP drink packets, maybe soy nuts, bar or puffs. This will be your lifeline if you are out to eat or get caught out at a meal or snack time. The dressing helps you when restaurants offer nothing, the tea gives you a variety choice to water and coffee and usually hot water is free, the sweetener saves you if the restaurant only offers off plan equal , saccharine, or sugar, and the packets are great for a quick fix with a purchased bottled water from anywhere! I also keep a small ziploc style (2"x2") bag with some real sea salt for use at restaurants. I found the bags at the pharmacy near the pill boxes. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3492455-post72.html

If you know you will have a hectic day and be out, pack a small lunch bag using some blue ice or something like that, and put in some hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken, or a foil pack of tuna, some cut up veggies and/or a small bowl of lettuce. Then you can just grab something while you are out or on the run.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #131  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

BUMP, for those who need this thread.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 218.7/218.7/150

Height: 5'6

Has anyone ever experienced a really bad emotional rollercoster when falling off program? I fell off again this weekend and noticed that the day after falling off the program i'm so irritable, cranky, emotional and upsetting my whole household. Am I alone on this one? Does it have something to do with the sugars?
dgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #133  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirl View Post
Has anyone ever experienced a really bad emotional rollercoster when falling off program? I fell off again this weekend and noticed that the day after falling off the program i'm so irritable, cranky, emotional and upsetting my whole household. Am I alone on this one? Does it have something to do with the sugars?
Well there is the sugar roller coaster effect, sure. But how about the fact that you disappointed yourself by cheating........you let yourself down and now you feel bad about it on top of feeling crappy from the junk!

Honestly, by sticking with IP protocol, you will feel more level headed and physically healthy too! Double bonus!!
SallyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #134  

bump
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 151/136.6/125

Height: 5ft. 3in.

Default I smoke

So, I'm a smoker. Does anyone know the effect smoking has on weight loss (I know it is BAD for my health) but I want to know how bad it is especially since I am trying to lose weight on IP. Also, I've heard that quitting smoking doesn't necessarily mean that I have to GAIN weight. Comments welcome. Thanks
butterfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote