Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #16  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I just thought that after my weekend off, I would go through the same feelings I did when I first started the program i.e. ****. :-) I was expecting to feel the way I did on days 1 & 2 where I was climbing the wall and hungry and irritable. I haven't felt that at all since getting back on on Sunday afternoon. I don't want to feel like ****, I was just expecting to!
I see! Yeah, it doesn't always work like that. From the sound of your choices you didn't slam yourself with lots of carbs all at one time. That will help you get by the overload feelings.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 188/153/138

Height: 5'3"

OK, so this is really about an off-protocal food! Several of you (from Canada) mentioned Nanaimo Bars. I had never heard of these so I googled them. They sound so good!! I have baked Christmas cookies with a friend for about the last 20 years (it's a 2 -3 day event). We usually make about 23 different kinds of cookies and candies (multiple batches of each). This year I Just Said No! But, on the quest to look for something new to add to our list (hey, there's always next year), I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for these bars that they would like to share (you can PM me if you don't want to post it). I tried a recipe that I found on-line, (to take to a work party) but they looked a bit dry and crumbly. People liked them but I didn't get the raves I expected. My family's Christmas party is Saturday at my house. I thought I would try to make these again.

Thanks, and sorry if I made anyone think about cookies!
JollyCrewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #18  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

I have been on IP for just over 9 weeks and love the quick changes in such a short period of time. I have been sticking to this program with a couple of planned cheats - most of what has amounted to an occasional glass of wine or a small piece of fruit. During the weeks that I have gone slightly off course I did not find a slow down in weight loss at all. I have also found my weight loss in Phase II has been just as good if not better than Phase I. Has anyone else experienced the same results? Just curious as to the rationale behind some of the IP plan and weight loss results.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #19  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Well, I was up a lb today at WI. Not horrible considering the weekend I had AND it's TOM AND when I WI last week, it was first thing in the morning. Today it was after a full day at work and 40 oz of water!. I know that it's just water and it'll come right back off. My body fat % was down 1% too (I know it's not the most accurate). Can't wait to see what shows up next week!
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #20  

Unhappy Rats!!

I have been on IP since Oct. 13 and have almost lost 30#. I am happy about that. I had a SLIP so to say and just totally lost track of my eating habits. I am planning to start anew tomorrow.....meaning getting back on my IP plan Phase 1. I feel horrid that I let myself slip for almost a week & I don't even want to get on the scale! I think it is due to stress and the holiday treats that seem to be everywhere. I read about the "golden chance" or something like that where a person might not be able to get back into KETOSIS if they cheat. Is that real? I feel if I get back on my plan the weight should still come off as long as I'm committed and follow the plan to 100%. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this? I'm new to this forum/replies, so I don't know what to expect. Any helpful support or suggestions would be welcome.
flaminpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #21  
CBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminpixie View Post
I have been on IP since Oct. 13 and have almost lost 30#. I am happy about that. I had a SLIP so to say and just totally lost track of my eating habits. I am planning to start anew tomorrow.....meaning getting back on my IP plan Phase 1. I feel horrid that I let myself slip for almost a week & I don't even want to get on the scale! I think it is due to stress and the holiday treats that seem to be everywhere. I read about the "golden chance" or something like that where a person might not be able to get back into KETOSIS if they cheat. Is that real? I feel if I get back on my plan the weight should still come off as long as I'm committed and follow the plan to 100%. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this? I'm new to this forum/replies, so I don't know what to expect. Any helpful support or suggestions would be welcome.
Not so sure about golden chances and Ketosis. If you cut the carbs and don't eat off protocol, you should be able to get back into Ketosis. You will be able to test the theory yourself if you are back on plan! I have found I can have a planned cheat - a glass of wine or a piece of fruit once in a while and I don't even go out of Ketosis. I will go from moderate to as low as trace and then right back to moderate if I go right back on IP protocol. Good luck with the rest of your IP journey!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #22  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

So I really biffed it. I had great plans to stay on protocol during the holidays. Yeah, well temptation got the best of me this past weekend. Now I'm doing damage control. Lots of water trying to cleanse my body of all the carbs and hoping to maintain through the holidays now.

If you haven't caved like me yet, DON'T! I feel awful! It just isn't worth it! A sugar cookie is just a sugar cookie. They still taste the same as they did last year and I'm sure they will continue to taste the same in years to come.

Now I am planning on staying off protocol until the first of the year. Then I will regroup and hit my goal in the first few months of the new year. I've got to quit beating myself up. Last night I couldn't sleep because of all the worry. Then, I made the decision to start a new in the the new year. Probably not the smartest thing to do but I know myself all too well. I'm already getting myself into the starting a new in the New Year mood. Sort of like a stop smoking date. I feel like I have let everyone down and myself. I hope I can maintain through the holidays or not cause too much damage. I know this is not the best choice, but I have dealt this to myself. If I start back right now on protocol, I know I am just setting myself up for more disappointment. That's why I am waiting until New Years. Then watch me. I am also going to move my goal down to under 140 somewhere. Leaving me a little over 12 pounds to lose yet minimum. The hard ones to lose. Those last few stubborn pounds. My goal is to reach goal before we head to AZ in mid Feb. to our warm get away spot. The pool will be waiting for me to hit it in a swimsuit.

Sorry to disappoint everyone. I still have to get this into my head that this is a lifetime change of eating. I'll step off my soapbox now.

Oh and Carla, I really hope I can meet you sometime when I am in Az. You are such great support to everyone! I enjoy reading all your posts.

Last edited by iowahawkeyemom; 12-20-2010 at 10:03 AM.
iowahawkeyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #23  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminpixie View Post
I read about the "golden chance" or something like that where a person might not be able to get back into KETOSIS if they cheat. Is that real? I feel if I get back on my plan the weight should still come off as long as I'm committed and follow the plan to 100%. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this? I'm new to this forum/replies, so I don't know what to expect. Any helpful support or suggestions would be welcome.
The "golden shot" concept is talked about in some low carb communities. It is real FOR SOME people. It isn't that your don't go back into ketosis and it isn't that you stop losing. What it tries to explain is why some people can't get back into ketosis AS EASILY after a serious cheat and why THEY may never see the same "first few weeks" type of results that were experienced the first time. Essentially, those people have bodies that are very efficient and can shift easily between carb fuel and ketogenic fuel after it has adapted the first time so, the shock isn't as great and the loss isn't as obvious. Also, their bodies have learned how to function well on such low level of carbs that, to slip into ketosis takes a bit more effort.

If you restrict the carbs in your diet and your calories, there is no way you won't eventually get into ketosis. ( some people go into ketosis in as little as 2 days and others can take 10 days. it is just a difference in bodies)

If you have cheated, you haven't ruined anything as long as you go back to eating on plan and don't make a habit of slipping every week. If you do that, you will probably just start to maintain or see small losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
So I really biffed it. I had great plans to stay on protocol during the holidays. Yeah, well temptation got the best of me this past weekend. Now I'm doing damage control. Lots of water trying to cleanse my body of all the carbs and hoping to maintain through the holidays now.

If you haven't caved like me yet, DON'T! I feel awful! It just isn't worth it! A sugar cookie is just a sugar cookie. They still taste the same as they did last year and I'm sure they will continue to taste the same in years to come.

Now I am planning on staying off protocol until the first of the year. Then I will regroup and hit my goal in the first few months of the new year. I've got to quit beating myself up. Last night I couldn't sleep because of all the worry. Then, I made the decision to start a new in the the new year. Probably not the smartest thing to do but I know myself all too well. I'm already getting myself into the starting a new in the New Year mood. Sort of like a stop smoking date. I feel like I have let everyone down and myself. I hope I can maintain through the holidays or not cause too much damage. I know this is not the best choice, but I have dealt this to myself. If I start back right now on protocol, I know I am just setting myself up for more disappointment. That's why I am waiting until New Years. Then watch me. I am also going to move my goal down to under 140 somewhere. Leaving me a little over 12 pounds to lose yet minimum. The hard ones to lose. Those last few stubborn pounds. My goal is to reach goal before we head to AZ in mid Feb. to our warm get away spot. The pool will be waiting for me to hit it in a swimsuit.

Sorry to disappoint everyone. I still have to get this into my head that this is a lifetime change of eating. I'll step off my soapbox now.

Oh and Carla, I really hope I can meet you sometime when I am in Az. You are such great support to everyone! I enjoy reading all your posts.
sorry about the cookie. I am sure things will be fine. Try to have more "phase 1 or 2" like days in the weeks between now and the new year. If you modify it like that it should help you manage things til you get back on plan.

I would love to meet up when you are here in February!!! Send me a pm and we can exchange details!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #24  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post

Don't beat yourself up so much. Yes, you've slipped and you didn't follow the plan as you wanted to, but you have only disappointed yourself - not us. We don't get to decide your decisions. What's done is done and now it's time to move on. I'm glad to hear that you have a plan to get back on track. Have you joined the after Christmas challenge? A good motivator to get things going again in the New Year. I've chosen to phase off for the holidays and that challenge will push me to go back to phase 1 full throttle.

Have a great holiday!
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #25  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Okay....after 16 perfect....absolutely perfect weeks...with 3.5 pounds almost each week....I am thinking of cheating. I cannot believe this.

I am thinking of having 2-3 glasses of wine in Vegas on Saturday. No food cheats. I am very focused and will not make any other cheats with food or any other time in Vegas.

Anyone have experience with alcohol? Does it knock you out of ketosis? How are to recover?
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #26  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Okay....after 16 perfect....absolutely perfect weeks...with 3.5 pounds almost each week....I am thinking of cheating. I cannot believe this.

I am thinking of having 2-3 glasses of wine in Vegas on Saturday. No food cheats. I am very focused and will not make any other cheats with food or any other time in Vegas.

Anyone have experience with alcohol? Does it knock you out of ketosis? How are to recover?
Shucks. I hate to see a bulwark crack. And 3, 6 oz glasses of wine will add about 40% (or more) calories to your day. Not to mention the carbs. Could you substitute vodka and diet tonic. Emphasis on the diet, no calorie tonic.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:

Well the only thing with drinking wine is the inhibition it causes and you might find yourself in greater temptation to cheat and you've been so strong. But.... if you think you can handle it a stay strictly on protocol, Red wine is actually better than white and really isn't a carb issue. When I have had 2 glasses of red wine for a special occasion it hasn't taken me out of ketosis. It actually just stalls the fat burning process because you end up burning the alcohol part. A lot of people drink Vodka but it also hits you much faster. If you can sip and stick to one drink then you could be okay. You work out a lot so you might have a little bit more flexibility in the fat burning process then others. Well GoodLuck enjoy your trip and watch out for additional temptations!
kcjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #28  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Thanks ladies. My husband and I have spent the last 2-3 hours researching alcohol and ketosis and have read a ton of info and postings. 90% of postings say that people do not get out of ketosis from just alcohol. I am very strong and do not think that I will touch any carbs at all. Red wine, white wine are very low in carbs (1.75 for red and 1.0 for white) and vodka has zero carbs. My main reason for making this decision is because I am going to increase my goal loss and add another 15 pounds to it....so I will be on this diet strictly for another couple of months. I talked with my coach and instead of phasing off for my cruise (I will be at or below my original goal by then).....I am going to do a "cheat" week and then return to protocol immediately upon return so that I can try to go 15 pounds lower than my original goal. So after 16 beautiful perfect weeks...it looks like I might try a few beverages. No fear ladies...food is not my enemy....I will stay away from everything. I will be 100% on protocol with the addition of the 2-3 beverages after dinner. Plus I will be at Red Mountain Spa in Utah for two nights and hopefully will work off the extra calories. I am sorry, but since I made the decision to lose more weight the thought of 3-4 more months without a glass of wine...sounds long and frustrating....

I will let everyone know how it goes as I will be keeping a strict food and exercise journal. I am very focused and my coach and chiropractor know I can handle this.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #29  
CBG

Quote:
Thanks ladies. My husband and I have spent the last 2-3 hours researching alcohol and ketosis and have read a ton of info and postings. 90% of postings say that people do not get out of ketosis from just alcohol. I am very strong and do not think that I will touch any carbs at all. Red wine, white wine are very low in carbs (1.75 for red and 1.0 for white) and vodka has zero carbs. My main reason for making this decision is because I am going to increase my goal loss and add another 15 pounds to it....so I will be on this diet strictly for another couple of months. I talked with my coach and instead of phasing off for my cruise (I will be at or below my original goal by then).....I am going to do a "cheat" week and then return to protocol immediately upon return so that I can try to go 15 pounds lower than my original goal. So after 16 beautiful perfect weeks...it looks like I might try a few beverages. No fear ladies...food is not my enemy....I will stay away from everything. I will be 100% on protocol with the addition of the 2-3 beverages after dinner. Plus I will be at Red Mountain Spa in Utah for two nights and hopefully will work off the extra calories. I am sorry, but since I made the decision to lose more weight the thought of 3-4 more months without a glass of wine...sounds long and frustrating....

I will let everyone know how it goes as I will be keeping a strict food and exercise journal. I am very focused and my coach and chiropractor know I can handle this.
You have obviously thought about how you are going to handle this and have a plan. Wine is also my choice of a cheat and I find it does not kick me out of ketosis. I have rarely done this throughout my 10 weeks on IP and it does not seem to slow down the weight loss. Have a great time and enjoy your 'planned' cheat.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #30  

My bf eats pizza at least 4x a week and its bothered me pretty much the entire time. So I finally broke down yesterday and tried the Egg Crusted Pizza from the recipe thread. I used the WF marinara for sauce so the only non protocol item is low fat mozzarella cheese. I don't usually use my 1 oz milk so figured it would count as a pseudo-substitute. It was awesome (considering its not really pizza)! Now I'm wondering if I could have it once a week as long as I don't use up the milk? So far, still in ketosis so hoping its not too bad of a cheat. Looking for some opinions/advice please.
100ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote