Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #106  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharmeyer View Post
Thank you!!! I have been following just like directed.. I had NO idea when I would go in to ketosis, or how I would know!
ketosis is essentially the process of your body burning fat...when it is going on, your body has access to an extra 400 or more calories a day...

If you consider that you are consuming about 800 calories a day, you will probably be very, very hungry until you go into ketosis and have access to those extra calories.

Then, as your body starts easily accessing fat to burn, you will no longer feel like, "omg I feel horrible and I am STARVING.....I could eat the cat if it would hold still long enough..."
You will only get hungry between meals, or every 2-3 hours......your family and friends will no longer look like the enemy....you won't be weak or tired or anxious about food

...now you know you are in ketosis.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 201/?see ticker?/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
ketosis is essentially the process of your body burning fat...when it is going on, your body has access to an extra 400 or more calories a day...

If you consider that you are consuming about 800 calories a day, you will probably be very, very hungry until you go into ketosis and have access to those extra calories.

Then, as your body starts easily accessing fat to burn, you will no longer feel like, "omg I feel horrible and I am STARVING.....I could eat the cat if it would hold still long enough..."
You will only get hungry between meals, or every 2-3 hours......your family and friends will no longer look like the enemy....you won't be weak or tired or anxious about food

...now you know you are in ketosis.
I haven't felt "hungry" per say for a few days now... I was hungry earlier today but I had a meeting at work and got my lunch a little later than usual. Other than that I've been feeling good!! I also was even able to say no to chocolate cake with no problem at all!!!
whisperingshouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 152/132/120

Height: 5'2"

oh no oh no oh no! i totally fell off the wagon today with no warning. i was having a stressful day- work and family wise. i had party food at my house, got stressed and mad, and ate pizza and cookies. WHAT??? i didn't even want them. they weren't even that good. this is the last day of my third week on the diet. i haven't been hungry or craving much of anything for a couple of weeks. i'm sure i've knocked myself out of ketosis. ugh. i wonder how much this will stall my weight loss.... I'm going to go back to no restricted foods for a few days starting tomorrow. maybe that will help?? well, i guess i have to look at this as a lesson learned. i'll remember how bed i felt over this slip-up, and will NOT do this again! BLAH!
debonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #109  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by debonadiet View Post
oh no oh no oh no! i totally fell off the wagon today with no warning. i was having a stressful day- work and family wise. i had party food at my house, got stressed and mad, and ate pizza and cookies. WHAT??? i didn't even want them. they weren't even that good. this is the last day of my third week on the diet. i haven't been hungry or craving much of anything for a couple of weeks. i'm sure i've knocked myself out of ketosis. ugh. i wonder how much this will stall my weight loss.... I'm going to go back to no restricted foods for a few days starting tomorrow. maybe that will help?? well, i guess i have to look at this as a lesson learned. i'll remember how bed i felt over this slip-up, and will NOT do this again! BLAH!
ACT as if you are not off plan and not out of ketosis.
YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE AND NO PERMISSION TO EAT POORLY ON MONDAY!

GO immediately back to phase 1. It will be your best option and it WILL minimize the impact of what was done. Don't stress, it won't help. Realize tomorrow and Tuesday MAY, not will, MAY be a challenge and you can get thru them.

You will be just fine at your weigh in.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 152/132/120

Height: 5'2"

thanks carla- I'm not hungry this AM! before IP, i always woke up starving. I feel fine this morning, and ready to get back to (IP) normal. thanks for the encouragement!
debonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

Not really a cheat - off protocol. We have small chinese restaurant close by, normally I order my food from them - low sodium soy sauce, no MSG, no sugar, etc. They are very happy to fix me something with lots of veggies and a little meat. Problem was - someone else ordered food and picked it up. When I got on scale this am, I was up 2 lbs. I'm pretty sure it was soy and MSG that did the trick. Moral to this story - don't let anyone else order your food!
rubyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

I had a very dissapointing weekend and beginning of the week. I was so looking forward to start phase 3 yesterday, but my coach wants me to stay on phase 2 for a while. I had set my goal first to 130, then changed it to 135 When I reached 143 I noticed for the first time how much I have lost. That's when I posted my progress pics. I also lost losts of inches so I went from sizes 10 and 8 pants to 4, and from large/medium tops to small. So I raised the goal to 140. Since then I've lost 6 more pounds, 3 of them on phase 2. My coach says my goal needs to be 135 in case I gain weight when transitioning to phase 4. I currently weingt 137. I'm sorry for all the details, but back to my initial dissapointment. I had a horrible day. I started okay, but then I had a piece of candy, a handful of raisins, about 4 tbs of peanut butter and a cup of rice. I have also had small slip ups all weekend, ussually on peanut butter and almonds. I need an expert opinion. I think I will be more discipline if I go back to phase 1 for the rest of this the week, then do 2 more on phase 2. I think I need to get my body back into the program before I go to phase 3, so this works as it should. I'm so confused as of what to do. My concern is if I don't trabnsition properly, the weight will come back on phase 4. Any advice?
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #113  
Kevin Reboot FEB2015

S/C/G: 203/160 Restart: 209/206/155

Height: 5'5"

A quick question on the restricted IP packets. I accidently (mostly due to poor prior planning) consumed 2 of the restricted packets for 1 day. I ended up doing this twice this week. Realistically, how can I expect this to affect my progress? I'm currently on day 10 of Phase 1. I don't want it to throw my body out of ketosis.
YankeeFan14040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 305/208/220?

Height: 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan14040 View Post
A quick question on the restricted IP packets. I accidently (mostly due to poor prior planning) consumed 2 of the restricted packets for 1 day. I ended up doing this twice this week. Realistically, how can I expect this to affect my progress? I'm currently on day 10 of Phase 1. I don't want it to throw my body out of ketosis.
It would depend on which packets but generally you can feel the shift when you go out of ketosis. You get some of the foggy head and tired body feelings. I think us guys have a higher tolerance, and generally are running on the low side of protein, carbs and sugar... so a double dip of restricted packs shouldn't have a big effect.. short answer is it's done... and today is a new day..
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #115  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I had a very dissapointing weekend and beginning of the week. I was so looking forward to start phase 3 yesterday, but my coach wants me to stay on phase 2 for a while. I had set my goal first to 130, then changed it to 135 When I reached 143 I noticed for the first time how much I have lost. That's when I posted my progress pics. I also lost losts of inches so I went from sizes 10 and 8 pants to 4, and from large/medium tops to small. So I raised the goal to 140. Since then I've lost 6 more pounds, 3 of them on phase 2. My coach says my goal needs to be 135 in case I gain weight when transitioning to phase 4. I currently weingt 137. I'm sorry for all the details, but back to my initial dissapointment. I had a horrible day. I started okay, but then I had a piece of candy, a handful of raisins, about 4 tbs of peanut butter and a cup of rice. I have also had small slip ups all weekend, ussually on peanut butter and almonds. I need an expert opinion. I think I will be more discipline if I go back to phase 1 for the rest of this the week, then do 2 more on phase 2. I think I need to get my body back into the program before I go to phase 3, so this works as it should. I'm so confused as of what to do. My concern is if I don't trabnsition properly, the weight will come back on phase 4. Any advice?
This is kinda off the cuff, but it seems to me you are beating up on yourself because you're disappointed. If you tend to do that, lesson learned -- no matter what phase you're in. From a purely practical point of view, you've done well on Phase 2. I'd stick with it. And I really probably mean stick to it.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #116  

Quote:
Coqui,

First, I'm sorry. I know what it is like to have a plan and feel that is not being permitted or supported to develop as you want it.

Second, and I know you may cringe to here this, in terms of how this program works (that is key) your coach is right. The goal of IP is to allow your body time to heal what went wrong physically. It will not stop the natural body chemistry and processes. Therefore, when you go back to eating carbs you will, to some degree or other gain back weight in the form of fluids associated to eating carbs (This is a bit fuzzy but roughly, the body can hold a little less than four pounds of glycogen stores. It can also hold 4g of water for every 1 gram of glucose. That capacity is to some extent determined by the individual. On average, another 3 pounds, IF I remember correctly.) SO, you could end up with upwards of 7 pounds new fluids. Your coach just wants to see you meet a goal and be satisfied, no, HAPPY, with the end result of your work.

Don't be too eager to end a phase. You have a great opportunity to learn to use food to fuel your body and not feed your emotions. This experience was an example of emotional eating. You were hurting and disappointment and frustrated and sought food to manage the resulting feelings and stress. WE DO THAT! You feel upset again because it happened and maybe because there you were wishing for phase 3, being told to stay in phase 2 and now, because of the inappropriate food choices considering phase 1.

I think, if you just do phase 2, you'll be fine. You will enjoy losing and using real food. You will have a bit more variety. Appreciate that phase 2 has its purpose too. It isn't a worthless or stepping stone phase. Phase 2 PREPARES. It prepares your body to manage larger portions of real foods. It allows to body to get used to breaking its nutrition out of a more complex "package". You pancreas starts to make more of the enzymes needed in digestion. It has a definite albeit more minor purpose than phase 3.

Phase 2 is still a reduction phase you just exchange a prepared highly bio available protein for a real protein.

Let what happened go. Unless you are ok with the possibility of going to 145 when you go into phase 4 (may or may not happen but you should be prepared that it could) I would stay in phase 2 to finish the 2 pounds then go to phase 3 for 2 or 3 weeks. THEN hit phase 4.

As far as transitioning to phase 4 and the results, it isn't the transition that is the problem and, the answer is to some extent yes. You are supposed to have glucose, glycogen and a little more water in your body. (as explained above) so, when that is replaced you will see a drifting up of some kind (minor or a bit more) in your weight. It SHOULD happen.

IF you transition to phase 3 properly you will see better results in phase 4. The rest of what happens with phase 4 and long term is up to you.

REMEMBER, phase 4 is what your lifestyle diet should end up looking like.

ALSO REMEMBER, IP only gets us back to a place with knowledge where we can have a healthy trim body. If we go back to eating as we did, eating the foods we did, or using food the way we did we WILL get the same results. What we should have learned in the long run is that some bodies, ours in this case, respond better to diets with more protein, less carbs, few junk foods and more natural foods.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan14040 View Post
The impact will be minor and probably not noticeable. IF you are a high metabolism person, very active, it might even help.

I wouldn't worry about it. It is in the past now. I just wouldn't repeat it.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Carla your message is so educational. I wish my coach would've been more proactive and explain this to me. I now feel opened to the fact that I have to transition wisely in order to have long term results. I will stay on Phase 2 until I reach 135, then move on to phase 3. I have been so good in the first phase (not perfect, but close), so it makes no sense to sabotage that progress with my tantrums. I have to be thankful for what I have accomplished so far and stop thinking obsessively about phase 3. Yesterday I had a great phase 2 day (100% on protocol). I can do this! Thank you so much!
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Coqui,

First, I'm sorry. I know what it is like to have a plan and feel that is not being permitted or supported to develop as you want it.

Second, and I know you may cringe to here this, in terms of how this program works (that is key) your coach is right. The goal of IP is to allow your body time to heal what went wrong physically. It will not stop the natural body chemistry and processes. Therefore, when you go back to eating carbs you will, to some degree or other gain back weight in the form of fluids associated to eating carbs (This is a bit fuzzy but roughly, the body can hold a little less than four pounds of glycogen stores. It can also hold 4g of water for every 1 gram of glucose. That capacity is to some extent determined by the individual. On average, another 3 pounds, IF I remember correctly.) SO, you could end up with upwards of 7 pounds new fluids. Your coach just wants to see you meet a goal and be satisfied, no, HAPPY, with the end result of your work.

Don't be too eager to end a phase. You have a great opportunity to learn to use food to fuel your body and not feed your emotions. This experience was an example of emotional eating. You were hurting and disappointment and frustrated and sought food to manage the resulting feelings and stress. WE DO THAT! You feel upset again because it happened and maybe because there you were wishing for phase 3, being told to stay in phase 2 and now, because of the inappropriate food choices considering phase 1.

I think, if you just do phase 2, you'll be fine. You will enjoy losing and using real food. You will have a bit more variety. Appreciate that phase 2 has its purpose too. It isn't a worthless or stepping stone phase. Phase 2 PREPARES. It prepares your body to manage larger portions of real foods. It allows to body to get used to breaking its nutrition out of a more complex "package". You pancreas starts to make more of the enzymes needed in digestion. It has a definite albeit more minor purpose than phase 3.

Phase 2 is still a reduction phase you just exchange a prepared highly bio available protein for a real protein.

Let what happened go. Unless you are ok with the possibility of going to 145 when you go into phase 4 (may or may not happen but you should be prepared that it could) I would stay in phase 2 to finish the 2 pounds then go to phase 3 for 2 or 3 weeks. THEN hit phase 4.

As far as transitioning to phase 4 and the results, it isn't the transition that is the problem and, the answer is to some extent yes. You are supposed to have glucose, glycogen and a little more water in your body. (as explained above) so, when that is replaced you will see a drifting up of some kind (minor or a bit more) in your weight. It SHOULD happen.

IF you transition to phase 3 properly you will see better results in phase 4. The rest of what happens with phase 4 and long term is up to you.

REMEMBER, phase 4 is what your lifestyle diet should end up looking like.

ALSO REMEMBER, IP only gets us back to a place with knowledge where we can have a healthy trim body. If we go back to eating as we did, eating the foods we did, or using food the way we did we WILL get the same results. What we should have learned in the long run is that some bodies, ours in this case, respond better to diets with more protein, less carbs, few junk foods and more natural foods.
Thank you so very much Carla. (that was from Carla, right?) (I get confused on who's posting sometimes) You've now set my head straight about being on ph. 2 as well. I was thinking exactly the same thing about "sneaking" back into phase 1, so I could lose the rest of my weight AND because ph. 1 doesn't scare me, and the rest of the phases still do. Now I realize I have to feel the fear and do it anyway. It's like being kicked out of a safety net and facing the old issues with skills I am not yet confident with or trusting of. I see now. I'm officially committing in public to staying on phase 2 until I hit my goal and at the same time start getting my body used to normal everyday sources of protein. You are our sage!!!! Thank You...
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #120  

Quote:
Carla your message is so educational. I wish my coach would've been more proactive and explain this to me. I now feel opened to the fact that I have to transition wisely in order to have long term results. I will stay on Phase 2 until I reach 135, then move on to phase 3. I have been so good in the first phase (not perfect, but close), so it makes no sense to sabotage that progress with my tantrums. I have to be thankful for what I have accomplished so far and stop thinking obsessively about phase 3. Yesterday I had a great phase 2 day (100% on protocol). I can do this! Thank you so much!
Thank you! I am glad yesterday was such a success. TODAY will be one too! You really are doing very well. Enjoy that, you earned it! The rest will come quickly in the scheme of things!

As for the coach, some coaches know and don't burden clients with too much information they don't want and might not need. Some clients want more but, don't know what questions to ask. AND, some coaches just don't know, haven't researched or, didn't think to ask themselves. NOT all coaches are in a nutritional field or medical field. Depending on the country you are in and when they began offering IP it isn't/wasn't required. I am not in either profession, I just love the two topics and fields (I took classes in college just because and not too many take things like microbiology or virology just because lol) I want to know how things are happening so I can understand what comes later. I don't know if I believe in resetting a pancreas but, I do believe in resting (stopping the stressing of a body organ or system) fatigued or taxes organs and allowing them time to heal. I don't know that you will "fix" what is wrong in a permanent sense. You are what you are, if you were healthy once, then because of poor pancreatic responses began to produce too much insulin, then you will have that same tendency under like conditions.

I wanted to understand a bit more about the pancreas and wanted to know just how "shut down" a pancreas can be. It was in that research I began to realize the value of phase 2. We can NOT shut down the pancreas. It does more than produce insulin and it will continue to produce insulin and enzymes in accord with what we eat. We can make it sort of ... well, slow by eating foods that are less demanding of the many products that it produces. Like when we are asleep all of those functions have to be increased as we eat food so, phase 2 begins that process.

I don't know how many coaches get that or even care to share it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Thank you so very much Carla. (that was from Carla, right?) (I get confused on who's posting sometimes) You've now set my head straight about being on ph. 2 as well. I was thinking exactly the same thing about "sneaking" back into phase 1, so I could lose the rest of my weight AND because ph. 1 doesn't scare me, and the rest of the phases still do. Now I realize I have to feel the fear and do it anyway. It's like being kicked out of a safety net and facing the old issues with skills I am not yet confident with or trusting of. I see now. I'm officially committing in public to staying on phase 2 until I hit my goal and at the same time start getting my body used to normal everyday sources of protein. You are our sage!!!! Thank You...
You're welcome too! I am glad you found it helpful.

About phase 1. Don't be afraid of it. AND, in phase 4 when you learn how to eat permanently, there is a reason you go back to a phase 1 and phase 2 day following your cheat day.

It has in part to do with some newer science from that past 4 years that showed the body sets, kind of predicts, what to supply for insulin when we eat based on our past meals (meals in about a 24 hr period). (that is described in regular language but, says about the same thing) As you know we smell food, taste food and our body immediately cues up the digestion process. It doesn't know what we are eating (yet) it doesn't know how much (yet) or for how long. I just begins to produce. It does that, apparently, based on our "historical" eating patterns. If you eat like the cheat day too many days in a row it begins to predict a need for more. If you short circuit a cheat day with a phase 1 day, the body sort of "throws out the data as a unique event" and proceeds more normally.

SO, don't be afraid to use a phase 1 day. It is a nice safe place and also has a value in phase 4 lifestyle. ( I think you could do a phase 2 as well but, the recommendation is a phase 1)