Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #16  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie View Post
WHO did the egg in the coffee cup in the microwave and knows how not to let it explode??? I'm pretty sure it was on this thread (or the earlier incarnation thereof) but the search function is DYSfunctional and no one jumped up to reply on the daily chatterbox. HELP!

(Rocky Monarch that bacon sandwich sounds too divine to believe. YUM.)
I believe it was carlasherea
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #17  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I have been reading my way through the old "life after phase I" thread and WILL finish it, but in the meantime a girl needs to eat.

here I am in day 2 in the land of big breakfasts and looking for ideas. I want to be introducing habits I know I can sustain in my new life, so I don't end up where I was before. (Eating a starbucks protein shake and a double shot of espresso and calling it breakfast, etc.)

I'd rather not have eggs every day and I don't eat yougurt, so I'm thinking about making some breakfast menus that don't assume either of those for protein. Also, I'd like to have some breakfasts I can make the night before, then eat them in the cab on the way to the airport (which is a 30 minute ride almost every week. Getting up, cooking and then cleaning up at 5am is just so not going to happen in my life).

So, first question: Is it possible to keep a RTD or other product for the protein, or is the idea to get onto all whole protein?

and, Here's my first idea and I'd love some feedback.

BREAKFAST SANDWICH
1 orowheat sandwich thin (22g carb, 5g fiber, 100 calories, made with sucralose and no sugar)
3 strips bacon
Sprinklings of low fat cheese (or maybe 2T reduced fat cream cheese?)

PLUS
1 vanilla RTD
1 box raisins (22 carbs, 2g fiber, 90 calories)

does that meet all the requirements? Funny, this is like learning a new language. But I'm really excited to become foodie "bi-lingual" at last!
You really need to do the math to see if it fills the bill...sorry, but my brain is too tired to do it for you! It doesn't sound bad, but you should check the carb, calorie, protein and fat counts in accordance with the Phase 3 guidelines. At first blush, it looks like you are probably over on the carbs. They pretty much discourage dried fruit, so the raisins might be an issue. Why no fresh fruit?

Are you planning on using RTDs in Phase 4? If so, I guess it's an okay option, but I would try to set yourself up for how you want to eat for the rest of your life, and you're going to need a protein at breakfast. Do you need the RTD if you have bacon and cheese?

Anyway, I feel like you need to go to the charts in the Phase 3 protocol explanation and add up the numbers. You can certainly do it without eggs every day and no yogurt, but I would make sure you have everything covered correctly and plan out a couple of menus that do that.

I pretty much switched back and forth between 2-3 menus, and continue with those in Phase 4. Good luck... and enjoy!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #18  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
It doesn't sound bad, but you should check the carb, calorie, protein and fat counts in accordance with the Phase 3 guidelines.

Are you planning on using RTDs in Phase 4? If so, I guess it's an okay option, but I would try to set yourself up for how you want to eat for the rest of your life, and you're going to need a protein at breakfast. Do you need the RTD if you have bacon and cheese?
thanks Novak, I was trying to balance the numbers and be sure I am reading the protocol correctly.

My first confusion: When the Phase III protocol gives carb guidelines are those NET carbs or all carbs?

If net, here is how I think it stacks up, and how I am interpreting the sheet...it just seems like an AMAZINGLY large amount of carbs and protein we are meant to eat...

Here is how I am reading it:
grain carbs per guideline: 30 or under
grain carbs this meal: 17 net (or 22 if all carbs)

fruit carbs per guideline: 20 or under
fruit carbs this meal: 20 net (or 22 if all carbs)

dairy carbs per guideline 15 or under
dairy carbs this meal: 2 for the cream cheese, 1 if net for the RTD (3 if all)=3 (or 5?)

protein per guideline: 25 grams
protein this meal: 6 for bacon, 2 for cream cheese, 15 for the RTD=23 total

calories 457
fat 20 grams (which is 5 over, so either the bacon or the cream cheese should be traded out for something, I guess)

Per your very sound advice on many other posts in the earlier thread, I am really trying to develop meals that will work for the rest of my life. I am being realistic that a "normal, prepare and sit down breakfast" is not going to work for me very often either psychologically or practically.

I have NEVER been a breakfast eater--it's usually a good 2 hours after I get up before I can look at food and not feel a bit nauseous (and although I LOVE to cook, the idea of cooking in the morning makes me want to jump out a window! I am really, really not a morning person!!)

IP has gotten me into being ok with an RTD in the first hour or so, and that has at least warmed me up to the idea of eating in the morning, which I know I HAVE to do from now on. (I know that this lack of breakfast has been a part of my weight gain)

So, I am trying to develop breakfasts that have the "ease" I need, to be sure I will actually DO it every single day.

Given that, I have a feeling that RTDs will always be part of my eating future on some kind of basis, or I just won't be able to get the protein I need. And I'm ok with that. I mix it with instant coffee and ice and it feels like I am having a huge treat to start my day--a good way to get over the "hate breakfast" hump. I drank it yesterday and today before I ate, and it really settled my stomach and got me interested in eating solid food.

And I also think my reality will be that dried fruit or other "carry-able" fruit will be easier to be sure I have it on hand (traveling constantly) and can eat on my schedule (I often leave the hotel before they are even serving breakfast in the morning--ah, what a GLAMOROUS job I have!)

However, I had not heard that dried fruit was discouraged. I know it would be really easy to eat way too much since it is so concentrated, but are there other reasons it's a bad idea?

I just found these Fiberful brand fruit leathers at Trader Joe's. They have no sweetener added, but use 2-3 kinds of fruit, and they have added soy, flax oil and inulin to up the fiber counts. So one individual package is 60 calories, 0 fat, 14g carbs and 6g fiber. These would be a great option for me, but not if I need to stay away from dried fruit. I'd love to hear your further thoughts on that, or if you can point me to some reading (not finding any mention in the protocol I got from my coach, or the more complete info on this site).

It's weird being a newbie all over again, but I am enjoying feeling like I am creating a future for myself as a healthier person. What's interesting is I feel like I am having flashbacks to every conversation I've had in the last 4 mos which began with some well-wishing friend saying, "how are you going to keep from gaining it all back?". My answer was that the IP program teaches you how to cook and eat differently. Now after learning about new ways to look at lunch and dinner, I am trying to manage breakfast. I know this is my Achilles heel and I need to find permanent solutions.

sorry to ramble....nice to know you'll all help me think this through.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #19  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
thanks Novak, I was trying to balance the numbers and be sure I am reading the protocol correctly.

It's weird being a newbie all over again, but I am enjoying feeling like I am creating a future for myself as a healthier person. What's interesting is I feel like I am having flashbacks to every conversation I've had in the last 4 mos which began with some well-wishing friend saying, "how are you going to keep from gaining it all back?". My answer was that the IP program teaches you how to cook and eat differently. Now after learning about new ways to look at lunch and dinner, I am trying to manage breakfast. I know this is my Achilles heel and I need to find permanent solutions.

sorry to ramble....nice to know you'll all help me think this through.
From the Phase 3 Explanation Jordanna posted on June 21: Stay away from fruit juices and dried fruits! These are concentrated sources of sugar. If the dieter craves juices, suggest the IP products....like half of a Peach/ Mango drink or the Pineapple Banana or the Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate drink.

So I asked whether you would continue to use RTD, because I often do. Being a semi-veggie, it is just easier at times. So if that will be your lifestyle, then knock yourself out.

I don't think I did net carbs, but if you compare products to the tables, you can figure that out. (Where is BevS when you need her?!)

The whole point is to eat breakfast ALL AT ONE TIME, to spike your insulin. So DON'T split it up into two parts. When you get to Phase 4, you have more leeway, but be precise in Phase 3.

You'll be fine... you won't gain it back. And if you mess up a little, don't sweat it. The transition is a little tricky psychologically, but just make sure you cover the bases (with less emphasis on the exact amounts.) And don't stretch it out over time... do it all at once.

Novak
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #20  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

here I am in day 2 in the land of big breakfasts and looking for ideas. I want to be introducing habits I know I can sustain in my new life, so I don't end up where I was before.
I've been trying, off and on all day, to think of good breakfasts. I used to spend many early hours in limos or on planes with no food, so I figured I could help. But I am a breakfast eater -- my favorite meal of the day -- and I frequently eat what others might consider eccentric and have a light dinner. So I'm not sure.

About once a month I'd make two quiches, even make two different kinds in one pie pan, flax seeds, etc. added to the crust. They're great for traveling, as are soups and casseroles, if you don't mind eating them luke warm.
Low fat cheese rolled in low sodium, low fat ham; peanut butter and sliced apple sandwich; small bag of healthy granola; crepes (from freezer) stuffed with anything anything left over; french toast (from freezer) sandwiches, good with fruit and nut butter. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #21  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I've been trying, off and on all day, to think of good breakfasts. ... Hope this helps.
Thanks Linden, I appreciate the extra problem-solving even if it makes me feel like the "problem child"!
I'm especially intrigued by the quiche idea...someone I just met had a recipe for a crustless one...but I bet I could use some Bob's Red Mill high fiber/whole grain baking mix and make one pretty easily. I wonder if they are freeze-able? It would be a really good way to keep things portion-controlled too, if I made them in little individual "tins" of some kind...I would know that they had the right protein/fat/carb allowance, then all I need is fruit and I'm good to go...very clever, thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #22  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Thanks Linden, I appreciate the extra problem-solving even if it makes me feel like the "problem child"!
I'm especially intrigued by the quiche idea...someone I just met had a recipe for a crustless one...but I bet I could use some Bob's Red Mill high fiber/whole grain baking mix and make one pretty easily. I wonder if they are freeze-able? It would be a really good way to keep things portion-controlled too, if I made them in little individual "tins" of some kind...I would know that they had the right protein/fat/carb allowance, then all I need is fruit and I'm good to go...very clever, thanks!
I was going to go back and edit what I sent but forgot then had dinner. What I wanted to say is that most often I made crustless quiches or with a zucchini crust. But the latter is a little labor intensive. No matter which way you make them, though, they freeze beautifully. And when eggs are on sale I made up a big batch of french toast, sometimes with the maple syrup right in the batter.

Last edited by Linden; 08-30-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #23  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Good thought.

When I was on the South Beach diet, I used to adapt their crustless Vegetable Quiche Cups to Go by switching up the veggies, and making in a baking dish so I could cut into bars. That was my standard breakfast, and it was easy to transport. I don't know why you couldn't freeze them, though I don't think I tried... but I would make up a batch on the weekend that would last me for several days.

I don't know if you have the SB cookbook, but I believe the recipe is online at allrecipes.com.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #24  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Well, there you go... Tricia is a rock star. You should listen to her.
Novak - thanks! I think we should listen to YOU. And I will be asking a bunch of questions at phase 3 and beyond. Reading about that breakfast makes me crazy-- too long without bread methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie View Post
WHO did the egg in the coffee cup in the microwave and knows how not to let it explode??? I'm pretty sure it was on this thread (or the earlier incarnation thereof) but the search function is DYSfunctional and no one jumped up to reply on the daily chatterbox. HELP!
Midlife Meggie - When I cook an egg in the microwave I reduce the power-- full power makes them explode. Also, I haven't been able to cook them without breaking the yolk and mixing them a bit first. Whole eggs seem to always explode. Hope that helps.

Last edited by HopefulTricia; 08-30-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #25  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Quote:
Just thought I would put in my 2 cents here about phase 3 breakkys (fav meal of the day), I make breakfast bars or cookies and add extra protein to them so it pretty much covers my breakfast requirements, I just have some yogurt and fruit on the side. I also make ww waffles w/ extra protein and freeze them, I can heat and eat on the go I put cinnamon and in the mix so I dont need sryup with a glass of soy milk and fruit. I also make ww pancakes w/ fruit, I make french toast w/cinnamon and freeze.. reheat in toaster, I also dont like to have eggs everyday. I do like to have the RTD in the morning with my coffee, then I have my fruit, cereal and soy milk and I am done.
I think I was told that breakfast should be about 400 - 500 calories and I try to get 20 carbs from fruit.. 30 carbs from grains 30, protein 25 or more 3 no more than 120 cals from dairy and fats below 1 for tha day.
I like the quiche idea, crustless with veggies, organic farm eggs and soy cheese and I have alot of zucchini right now make a pan and freeze.... perfect... Novak I think I am becoming a veg head
I always have to poke my eggs in the microwave also..... or big mess

Last edited by WannabeIP; 08-30-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
From the Phase 3 Explanation Jordanna posted on June 21: Stay away from fruit juices and dried fruits! These are concentrated sources of sugar. If the dieter craves juices, suggest the IP products....like half of a Peach/ Mango drink or the Pineapple Banana or the Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate drink.

So I asked whether you would continue to use RTD, because I often do. Being a semi-veggie, it is just easier at times. So if that will be your lifestyle, then knock yourself out.

I don't think I did net carbs, but if you compare products to the tables, you can figure that out. (Where is BevS when you need her?!)

The whole point is to eat breakfast ALL AT ONE TIME, to spike your insulin. So DON'T split it up into two parts. When you get to Phase 4, you have more leeway, but be precise in Phase 3.

You'll be fine... you won't gain it back. And if you mess up a little, don't sweat it. The transition is a little tricky psychologically, but just make sure you cover the bases (with less emphasis on the exact amounts.) And don't stretch it out over time... do it all at once.

Novak
Hi, Novak, I'm still here and reading! It's getting hard to keep up with all the threads. You're doing so well without me. I agree that dried fruits probably aren't the way to go. Rocky, if you don't like the suggested menus for Phase 3, what about making a protein shake with everything in it? I make one for my hubby almost every morning. His is a full quart and has everything but the kitchen sink in it. But I think we could simplify one for you. You could make it the night before, refrigerate it, and give it a quick stir right before you drink it.

Blend in blender:

1 cup or 1 serving fruit, your choice, 20 g. carb or less, 42-100 calories. This will usually have 2-4 grams of protein. (I keep a bag of frozen blueberries for when I don't have fresh fruit.)
1/2 cup oats (27 g. carb, 6 g. protein, 2.5 g. fat, 150 calories), raw or presoaked in water, a little yogurt, and a little lemon juice. If you presoak, rinse the oats in a sieve before adding to blender
1 cup 1% milk or plain yogurt, no more than 120 calories, 8-10 g. protein. If you don't want to use dairy, add extra protein powder to make up the protein and calories.
1 scoop protein powder of your choice (I use NOW whey protein isolate in natural unflavored), 1/3 cup = 105 calories, 1 g. carb, 25 g. protein, 0.3 g. fat; 1/4 cup = 80 calories, 19 g. protein
water if needed for thinning to desired consistency
Splenda, Stevia, or Xylitol to taste, if needed for sweetening

I also put a teaspoon of orange-flavored Carlson's fish oil in my husband's shake. That would add 4 grams of fat.

Oh, yeah, Rocky, that Phase 3 sheet is listing total carbs, not net.

Last edited by BevS; 08-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #27  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Rocky, if you don't like the suggested menus for Phase 3, what about making a protein shake with everything in it? I make one for my hubby almost every morning. His is a full quart and has everything but the kitchen sink in it. But I think we could simplify one for you. You could make it the night before, refrigerate it, and give it a quick stir right before you drink it.
Brilliant suggestion! See? I knew you'd have some clever and well-thought out solution.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #28  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
Brilliant suggestion! See? I knew you'd have some clever and well-thought out solution.
I second that !!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
I second that !!!!!!
Better late than never, eh?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #30  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Better late than never, eh?
Exactly..... bummmpppitttyyy buummmpp buuummp bump!!!!!
Closed Thread