Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 06:20 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I woke up at 4 and couldn't go back to sleep. I got up to read. DH got up at 6 and wanted to go to Walmart. They don't open til 7 but they will not be well stocked that early. They get hit hard on Saturday. I hope they have what I want.

I got weighed at 5:30 very early, and weight is down. BS is 121. Up.

I read a study about overeating. It is different things to different people. If you eat a really big meal for breakfast and then try to make up for it it is detrimental to your health. Also OMAD is detrimental, but this is an opinion I think. If OMAD helps to keep your weight down I think its good. I know I am doing much better with a 4-5 HR eating window than spreading it out during the day.

In the other book I was reading it said that studies show that people who are overweight are not less healthy or do not die sooner than normal weight people. Except for those who are grossly overweight or morbidly obese. My sister in law whose husband died is very heavy but her weight is in her lower body. Big butt and thighs mostly. But she has no health issues at 50+ except for an ulcer. She is very active, moves freely and even attended exercise classes until the gym closed. I'm continuing with this book. It is interesting, but I am not going to stop trying to lose weight. I think you and I are in the 5% who don't regain.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:28 AM   #47  

One thing this book said is people who lose and regain over and over change their body composition each time. They might weigh the same but they have more fat and less muscle. I think weight training makes the difference because it increases muscle. And each time their metabolism goes down. They cannot lose on the same calories. When I started MFP I came ups eat up to 1500 calories but now I gain on that. I do lose if I eat the same calories in a shorter window. But the article I read this morning cautioned against a shorter window. Its interesting and I can believe some of it but not all.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:46 AM   #48  

First we went to the big Walmart. No small turkey, no bakery Italian bread. Then on to local Walmart. No small turkey, no Italian bread. On to local grocery. Italian bread, but no small turkey. On to the grocery with the great meat department. Yay!! 12 lb turkey!! Now I'm tired.

The vegetable soup is started.

The soup is good. I tried to post it on MFP. The first one I chose showed only calories,no carbs or anything. The second one has carbs but no fiber. All those vegetables and no fiber.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-13-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Weight this morning was finally down to 179 even. New BS meter reads 25 pts higher than the old. Interesting because the old one was right on with my labs. I will try to call Walmart tomorrow to see why. I think that is too great a difference. I checked them at exactly the same time from same prick so it shouldn't be that much difference. If I have to keep using these, I will just subtract 25 ptx from my reading each day. Old one showed 89 and new one show 114. Crazy.

Carol Sue, I know I do better if I eat breakfast and dinner 5 hrs apart. When growing up, I ate lunch and supper. When I left home and lived on my own I usually ate only OMAD. I got in the habit of that when I worked as a carhop and when I worked cooking in fast food. As a carhop, I got my food free so ate one burger a day. Don't remember eating fries as the burger satisfied me for the day. When I worked making burgers, I didn't want to get into the habit of eating them every day so I never worked at work. Just before I married DH#2, I lived alonge and it was cheaper to eat once day. I made myself one regular HB, fries and drank a glass of tea or milk. When he died and before I married DH, I mostly lived on roasted chicken and salad. Once in a while DS would buy Chinese when he got paid on fried and share with me, but that was rare. Weight usually was between 150 to 160s during those days. I was always much healthier eating that way so I disagree with the book about OMAD etc.

The problem is I'm not eating enough protein but not sure I need it. Today I've planned just 2 meals but may drink the protein shake again around 6 or 7 pm get my protein in. It would make my calories almost 1300 with the shake instead of barely under 1100 without and raise my total carbs above 100, but it might be worth it if more protein is that important. I will have to experiment with that, but I want to stay in the 170s now that I'm here.

I ate a bowl of oatmeal made with 1/4 c oats along with my new homemade yogurt and 2 strawberries and 1/2 a banana. Only had 2 c coffee. I am cleaning out freezer so we have a few pot pies that the dates were still good so we will have one a piece of those for dinner along with our salad. Then I will have my protein shake later in the evening to finish out the day.

I really think we both have pretty much figured out what works for us so I'm not sure we need to change a whole lot.

Have a nice Sunday everybody.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #50  

Carol Sue, I have found that I have to estimate each item in my soups or other dishes individually. Yesterday when I made my chicken and dumplins, I tracked about how much of the shredded chicken I thought I would be eatting in the soup. Then I figured how much of the cream of chicken soup I would be eating and God only knows how much of the dumplins was correct as I could only go by a serving of Cracker Barrel dumplins. I tried to go with higher #s since I'm usually trying to reach 1000 calories on MFP. Thats like my homemade yogurt. I did find a yogut listed made with H&H and stevia. I have no idea if it is right, but that is all I can do to get as close to accurate on my calories, carbs, protein and fiber.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #51  

Trish, if I were you I would do a comparison one more time, but compare your meter against DHs meter. That's if he doesn't mind you using his meter. Then if your new one is still off, call Walmart. You could continue using the old one since they still sell the strips but you spent the money for the new one. Now I'm curious to hear about DHs new one. I feel bad because I encouraged you to buy the new one, but mine is,very close to the old one.

Good for you on 179 even!

My soup was delicious but I screwed up and had 2 slices of Italian bread which spiked blood sugar. I found a soup listed that was vegetable barley so I used that because I put barley in it. I didn't have much cabbage and I like a lot of cabbage in it. I would do great with the cabbage soup diet.
So calories are only 700 + but carbs are 70. I feel stuffed from the soup.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #52  

Trish,you can order free control solution for your meter. I just ordered some. I have it for the old meter but not the new one.

https://relionbgm.com/
Old 11-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #53  

Carol Sue, Thanks for the link. I watched the video and read the book on set up. I decided to take the batteries out and put them back in. Then I had DH set it up. He suggested that I test again. I don't know what my nite readings usually reads, so can just go with what it is. The new meter actually now read less than the old one. New meter read 110 and old read 119. DH said, "you know your bs is good so don't worry about it". The important thing is my A1c when I go for labs. I had just taken some supplements before testing so that probably contributed to the reading.

I only had 2 meals today. Never got around to drinking the shake because I felt full. I don't know if that is because the way I'm eating now satisfies me or the probiotic I'm taking that is supposed to help curb appetite or both, but I will take advantage of it for now. The strange thing is that I feel like I'm eating less. So calories were less than 1100.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #54  

Trish, I'm so glad you got things resolved with your meter! I used to have trouble with my old one when the batteries wore down. I would shake it and get a couple more tests out of it before I had to change them.

I didn't sleep well last night. I actually slept well til 4 am but then could not fall back to sleep. DH made French fries late last night and I ate 4 of them. Neither of us felt good when we went to bed and I think it was the fries. He normally eats cereal at bedtime and I eat nothing.

I want to clean today.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #55  

Busy morning and didn't get near what I expected to get done. I thought I hadn't got my cable bill and after calling about it, I found it after the call. They changed their envelope and I guess I just set it aside. Thank God I didn't throw it away. I'll mail it and it will get there on time.

Weight is basically the same bouncing within the 179 range without going to 180s. That is a good thing. FBG was 109. Higher than I want but I can live with it since I had a lot of carbs yesterday. The new meter had some kind of a set item for hypo which was to be set any where from 20 to 60 mg/dl. If it is for what I understand it to mean, I wouldn't want my FBG to go lower than 60 so we left it on that. So I'm not unhappy with my progress with weight or FBG. DH is still in the FBG in 110s. I am so proud of him.

I had eggs, bacon and SLMG toast for breakfast for brunch this morning, but I don't think I can eat them any more because I had potty issues all morning. I have no problems with oats so that will become my breakfast when I eat one. Main meal dish today will be liver and onions.

Very cold here today and raining. Glad I don't work and have to be out in it any more. Pretty much a lazy day.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #56  

My window today was 6.5 hours, a little longer than usual. 1019 calories and 74 carbs. I prefer 4-5 hours but that's not written in stone. The main thing is to not eat any more.

I'm glad you got your meter straightened out. I didn't know about the setting for the hypo so I will check it out.
​​​​​​
Old 11-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #57  

Calories today 895 and net carbs 62 g. My eating window was within 5 hrs. I've had potty issues off and on all day which have left me very weak. I didn't really feel like cooking dinner but wanted to fix something good for DH to eat as his FBG is doing so well. It really perked me up for a bit.

Spent time on phone with electric company because my contract with them runs out the first of December. The lady called me because she said she could get me a better deal and I think she did. The nice thing is that starting next month I can do my laundry during the day instead of having to wait until 8 pm at night on free nights. That will be nice.

Carol Sue I don't think a longer window hurts once in a while because our body doesn't need to get too used to one routine.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:26 AM   #58  

Trish, I've heard other people say their electricity is cheaper after 8 pm but we never had that. We pay a budget amount all year round for electric and gas. They add up our usage for the past year and divide by 12 so our bill is the same each month. Its coming time for them to give us a new budget amount.

You are doing very well with calories. With the potty issues you should have a nice drop. I am having pain on the left side of my abdomen. I hope nothing is wrong. I am gun shy ever since I had my abdominal surgery. I don't want that again. We have to take the dog for his hair cut today so I hope I don't get sick while I'm there.

I haven't slept well for 2 days. I was sleeping good but had to get up early to go to the dog groomer. I wish I could have kept on sleeping. I've napped A bit each day.

I tried to look at settings for me meter but got all mixed up so I stopped. I will try again later.

My pain is gone after going to the bathroom, thank God but I have to be careful what I eat.

The dog grooming went well and that's over with til spring.
​​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-15-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #59  

Carol Sue, Glad you felt better after BM. I've been having that with the potty issues and for me I think it is the probiotics I'm taking cleaning out and hopefully healing my gut. The only difference in my eating plan and the one Dr. Davis calls for is that I still eat minimum carby foods he doesn't allow. I read that these cramping experiences will go away within a month or two. I know what is causing mine and can understand how you feel about it with the problems you had in the past.

As for your not being able to sleep, I remember when Fatmad was on here that she experienced that a lot with her low carbing and I remember having that problem when I ate lower carb than I do now. I am thankful that I seem to have found a happy place with all that eating to keep net carbs between 50 to 100 g most days. I still don't sleep more than 6 or 7 hrs during the night, but I do seem to take a nap each day when I need it. I notice that I don't seem to need the nap everyday though. Most of my life when I was thin, I didn't sleep as much as most people do.

Thank God, I have a new low today 178 lbs. I don't know if I can keep it but I had it which means if I keep doing what I'm doing it will eventually be really. FBG was 104. One thing that is happening is that with trying to correct my gut, I am eating according to how it affects my gut and not man made rules. Saying that, today will be a OMAD. We will go to get a few things at Sam's then go to local store for a few things. Not sure what we will do about dinner today. I told DH that he could get KFC for himself if he wants it and I would get me something else. So not sure how that will work out. Church's Chicken is next door to the local store and I could get mine there on the way home or find something at the store.

Speaking of Fatmad, I miss her. Wish we could hear from her once in a while now that we have this thread working again.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #60  

I ate lunch then back to the bathroom, but it is not potty issues.

I think my not sleeping is due to time change. I fall asleep very quickly but wake up at 4 am. Sometimes I fall back to sleep. Someone told me to take my Zyrtec at bedtime instead of morning and it helps but I forget often. I don't think I eat low enough carb to interfere with sleep.

I wish Mad would come back but she really likes her fasting group. I think it is hard for her when we discuss our eating. I told her we miss her but will not harass her about it. I also wish Rennie would come. And Momtopands. I could go on and on. Butterfly, p.a., so many others.
Closed Thread