Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #466  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Well, my body is back from vacation, anyway. What a great week! On the way down to Gatlinburg, we stopped overnight just outside of Louisville. Before setting out the next day, we explored the fossil beds at the Falls of the Ohio State Park. Gatlinburg was fun, but the National Park was AWESOME! I talked DH into some impromptu hiking up the Cove Mountain Trail. I got him to go up 2 miles before we turned around and went back. I definately need to get us some walking sticks.

On the way back we stopped overnight in Madison, IN. The next morning we went to Clifty Falls State Park, which was incredible. I even talked DH into hiking AGAIN! I'm trying to convince him to go back there next spring to go camping and see the waterfalls at their best.

My snacking was well under control, but there weren't very many healthy meal options at the restaurants down there. I guess healthy eating isn't a high priority in major tourist areas. I'm having trouble settling back in to better eating habits so far. Hopefully it will get easier when I go back to work on Monday.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #467  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the absence, parents were visiting over the past week. Hubby and I move one week from today, and parents wanted to spend time with us. Which meant a week of eating out twice a day, but it could have been worse...

I am focusing on maintaining my weight from now until the move. After the move, I want to change my program. Right now, my program is "eat a certain number of calories," but the result has been "eat a certain number of calories, oftentimes consisting of junk food, and fail to meet my calorie goal on average two to three times a week." Written out like that, my current plan sure sounds lame, eh?

So I'm ready for a change. A new challenge, so to speak... which conveniently will coincide with our new November challenge. Heh heh, life works out nicely sometimes.

Ah, the countdown to moving... Hubby and I are going to Hawaii. We feel like moving someplace warm, with a different culture, far away from Minnesota. We feel like doing something drastic, and now is the time since we have no children and very little debt.

It feels good to let go. Fly away. Start fresh.

People think we're nuts... But who hasn't wanted to ditch all her stuff, hop a plane to a tropical island, and reinvent herself? I am looking forward to: passing the bar, a new legal community, new politics, new social issues, new friends, a new climate, new scenery, new neighbors, new jobs, new cities, a new church, new tattoo parlors, new media, trying new activities. And yes, a new diet!

Now that you all know how drastic the move will be, maybe you understand why I am picking this upcoming time as a good point at which to change my eating and exercise habits. Any suggestions on what kind of program to start this coming Saturday? Something that will work for life, that is compatible with a vegetarian diet.

Betani -- What a nice vacation. Bet it was great to get away from hustle and bustle.

MsRD -- Must be nice to be so relaxed that you don't know what day it is. You have a good way of rewarding your husband. Maybe if he's really, really good, you'll allow him the privilege of fanning you with a palm branch and rubbing your shoulders for an hour?

Elisha -- Oo, I hope you get the house. Potlucks must have been named that way because they are nutritional lotteries. Ah, but which potluck is like winning the Powerball: when everyone brings salad, or when everyone brings dessert?

Joy -- You know you can lose the weight by DGS's birthday. Think how awesome you will feel on that day. It will be a happy time.

Julie -- Glad to hear that you are back in the bike saddle. It is so hard to do aerobic exercise with a foot injury, or any other leg injury. <-- Ted the Tazer Demon is watching...

Heh heh, I am drinking out of a mug that has a picture of my friend's and my feet on it. The picture was taken almost three years ago, back at the 184 lbs. "high point" of my life. Sounds weird, but... my feet look thinner now.

Happy Saturday night to 'y'all.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #468  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Sunday Morning...

Morning all...
I just read all the posts from Friday and yesterday and saw TBJ's big news about the big move! I just wanted to chime in because I did exactly what you are doing in 1987!!! It was an awesome experience and I have lots of stuff to tell you about moving to a different culture like Hawaii, so if you have questions, let me know. Even though it was 20 years ago and my experience was a bit different than yours (I moved with a friend and had NO carreer), there might be some parallells! At least you can still keep in touch with us here at the Challenge board! That is soo cool! I am sooo excited for you, TBJ!!!

I'll be back later to comment, but just wanted to check in to let you all know that I'm here and doing ok this weekend. I plan to do some "biking" this afternoon!

Hugs!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #469  

Happy Sunday!
It is official now,.....I have survived another vacation. I didn't get everything done, but I am too relaxed to care at this point.

Betani....Welcome back from vacation....so glad you had a wonderful time. How nice that you can get DH to hike with you.....and if you convince him the hiking sticks are his idea, he will probably want to take you again. Ok....tomorrow is a non-vacation day for both of us, and reality is going to hit us squarely between the eyes....back to healthy eating!

TBJ....Hawaii!! This is so exciting, and just in time to avoid another Minnesota winter! Keep in touch and let us know how the Hawaiian Food Plan works out (and I can just see you writing the ultimate diet book and earning eleventy zillion dollars)....and we will all be packing our bags to join you! (tattoo parlors?)

Julie....glad to hear you are having a good weekend and will be 'biking' this weekend....guess I can put the tazer aside for the time being.

Food has been none too great this weekend, not out of control, but not on plan either. The one thing that has surprised me is that I have exercised (30 minutes WATP) every day this week! It is nothing I planned to do or even alotted time for....it just happened. Maybe that is the way exercise should be.....just another thing (like feeding the dog) that I do in a day. Hmmmm....
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #470  
motomom

Default It's no wonder!!!

OK chickies! It's fess up time! I have not in a very long time been accountable for what has been going in my mouth...until today! I just got done adding up calories from what I ate today and IT'S NOT WONDER I AM GAINING WEIGHT!!!!!! I'm only posting this here for accountability, but I am truly embarrassed at this number.....So far...2480 calories and NO exercise! Now, how is a person who WANTS to lose weight so desperately supposed to be doing just that with that kind of a day???? OMG!!! I'm truly ashamed of myself!

This is all coming to a screeching halt as of THIS instant!!! I am sooo tired of being fat and all my clothes are getting tight on me which means I will have to dig out the "fatter" clothes (because the ones I am wearing on not considered "thin", yet) and I am soooo done with gaining so much as another ounce!!! OK...I think I am done with that little tantrum, but I swear!!! If I so much as THINK about sugar or flour or fat in the next 24 hours...I'm gonna.....well, I don't know, but I will do something drastic!!!!!

I, Julie, will journal every bite that goes into my mouth for the next 7 days and beyond... I will see a weight loss in the next week and I will be happy with whatever the scale shows. I will remember that I am important and that I must do things for myself even if it feels uncomfortable at first, but know that I am benefiting my heart, body & spirit (like exercise, journal & eat healty foods). I no longer want to be this weight (pushing 180 again) and feel this way. I will be healthy, fit and fabulous like I know I deserve!

(I'm going to print that out and put it everywhere I look at home and work!)

Phew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

OK...now that you all know of my demise...comments for y'all (that's for my Southern friends)

MsRD...I can't wait for the new challenge! Can you give us some "teasers" before next week so we have something to look forward to??? Hope you enjoyed the ride? Was it sunny when you went? I think we are in for a "grey" week ahead!

Betani...Your vacation sounds wonderful! Isn't it amazing how much more "husbands" will do when they are on vacation? Mine goes from the time we get up in the morning until we hit the pillow at night, but I can't get him to walk with me at home around the block!!! Hmmm...Maybe it has something to do with his crazy "early bird" schedule (up at 3am) but still... LOL!

Elisha...Hope your weekend was great and that you find that house that you are dreaming of soon!

Joy...Great to hear from you chickie! My goal for Thanksgiving is to get to that 170#. I'm sure I could do it if I were perfect (diet and exercise) every day! How do people do that, anyway?
Hope you enjoyed the Lake! How's the weather your way?

TBJ...Girl...I am so envious of you! (Sorry everyone else...this is kind of long and reminiscent and probably will bore the rest of you! ) It was November 7th, 1987 that I moved to Hawaii and being from the Midwest also...I know exactly what you are saying. People never thought I would go! I suprised them, but I only stayed for 9 months. The cost of living was outrageous (like I said, I had no carreer) and I missed my family! Round trip tickets were expensive, so I bought a one way to SF and met my Dad and we drove the rest of the way back to MI. I didn't lose much weight in Hawaii, but because we didn't have a car, we walked everywhere...to work, to the beach, grocery shopping. I gained a lot of muscle and lost about one size, but I ate horrendously! And drank...a lot!!! It would have been easy to eat more healthy stuff, but groceries were expensive, so my roomie and I lived on potatoes and cheese (just like being home) and ate out often. Their idea of a meal in Hawaii consists of the meat with rice (usually fried), potatoe salad & macaroni salad! I am not kidding! Maybe it's different now, but that was pretty standard where ever we went. Spam is the meat of choice, but since you are a vegetarian, that won't be a problem! No fish? There's fish in abundance there! The people are so wonderful to us "Haole's"...they will treat you like family, eventually! Very giving culture! You will love it!

What island are you going to be moving to? I lived on Oahu about 2 miles from Waikiki (Punahou and Beratania in case you have a map!). Very metropolitan and busy! But everything was so close! You will love the islands! Have you ever been to Hawaii? If you do move to Oahu, maybe I could get you to take a picture of my old apartment building. ??? OK...I am very excited for you! I'll live vicariously through your posts...and you WILL post, won't you? You have to tell us all about your adventure!

That's it for now, chickies! I hope that our Florida friends are hunkered down and keeping safe! Hugs to all!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #471  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hi everybody Missed you!

TBJ - I envy your adventure - you'll have a blast. I loved Maui when I was there five years ago. We stayed in Kehei (sp?) for 10 days before cruising the islands and returning via cruise ship to Vancouver. We did spend two days in Oahu, it wasn't our style so much.

Julie - I'm with you ... I will record "every bite" that goes in my mouth as well. After one week of vacation and one week of "honouring a picket line" I'm ready to get back to routine and back on track.

MsRD - You must have been with your company for a long time also. Sounds like you get as many vacations as I do.... Glad to hear that you've survived it. Me too... although not much for the "thinner". I didn't get my "todo" list completed either.. .but I know in my case it's not going anywhere I went hunting with DH ... mostly I just hung-out with him so he didn't go alone. We did go on some long hikes ... walking very quietly... and not too quick ... but that's a good thing because we were out there for about 2 1/2 hours. Lots of riding in the truck over VERY bumping roads (if you can call them roads... mostly like skidder trails)... Oh well, we had lots of time to talk.

Elisha ... that's great news about another house that you are excited about.

Betani ... glad you had a great vacation... You'll have DH addicted to hiking in no time.... It really does feel great to get outside and explore nature.

Well ... gotta go get ready for work for tomorrow.... Hopefully ... all is agreed to!

Hugs
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #472  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Morning chickies!

Well, let's see. Food: bad. Water: bad. Exercise: none.

Yep, holding steady. But I said I wouldn't see 213 again, and I didn't--I skipped right over it to 214.6 this morning! But I know that is ToM and not enough water. Not to mention the ton of junk I ate this weekend... cookies, Snickers ice cream, mac and cheese, Arby's... ugh.

Today will be decent, but not great, as healthy food is at a bare minimum at my house (meaning that there might be some canned green beans). Tomorrow will be more of the same for breakfast and lunch, then wings for dinner before bowling.

OH, bowling--I'm getting much better. I actually won 2 of 3 games last night, and the other one I was only beaten by 4 pins. Go me!

Tonight Mom and I are going to sit down and plan some menus. We meant to do it over the weekend, but we just ran out of time (I'm sure you can all relate to that). But it's ok, since I can't make it to the grocery store before Wednesday evening anyway. I am going back to recording my intake today though... been slacking off there. Also, tomorrow I'm ordering Yourself! Fitness. I've been researching it and it sounds like fun and like something that I would actually do. Tonight I am doing my boot camp workout, tomorrow is bowling, Wednesday back to boot camp.

As for the house, we put our offer in, but we're still waiting to hear if it's accepted or not. Keep your fingers crossed for me chickies!

Joy: I hope you had a restful weekend. It sounds like quite a few of us were on a vacation of one sort or another. Now is the time to regroup and make a big finish!

MsRD: That's great about the exercising! We all need to get that much into the habit... so it is just something else we do, like brushing our teeth. There are some things I can treat like that, but it is so hard to get exercise to that status. For example, I am a skin care ****--you wouldn't believe all the skin care steps I perform in one day, every day, without fail, no matter what (I guess that results from being in the industry, but whatever). You couldn't pay me enough to skip my skin care routine. But exercise, pffft! I'll have to work on that.

TBJ: Hawaii? That's awesome! Can we come visit?! Steve and I had considered moving away, but more like New England, a day's drive away, rather than half way around the world. I've got a very close family, I couldn't stand to be that far away from them, and that is really why we didn't go away. I want my kids to grow up near their grandparents (plus I won't have to pay for a babysitter!). And now that we've both got decent jobs here, and we're getting a house... well, now we're *really* tied to this area. But how exciting for you! I can't wait to see some pictures! What a wonderful opportunity!

Betani: Glad you enjoyed your vacation! Good job getting out there and hiking! That section of the country is beautiful. I've never been to TN, but I did live in KY for a while, and it's gorgeous! But you're right--tourist restaurants never do offer healthy food, do they?

OK, I need to get to work. Have a good one, chickies!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #473  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hi there!

Elisha -- Still sending good thoughts your way on the house. And I bet your family is glad to have you around. I'm an only child and my parents are a little nervous about the big move.

Joy -- Everybody says Maui is gorgeous. My dad really likes it there.

Julie -- It's so great to hear from another person who picked up and moved to HI. I am going to have to buy a digital camera, but sure, what the heck, once I buy it I'll take a pic of your old place. I'd love to ask you a bazillion questions. Maybe over PM? You CAN be accountable! Yes you can! Keep up your determination, remember, you are in the driver's seat of your body. You can do it.

MsRD --
Quote:
I didn't get everything done, but I am too relaxed to care at this point.
:LOL: Too funny!!!

Ah, not much to report. Hubby and I sold our cars more quickly than we had expected, so now we are cruising on one rental. Hubs dropped me off at work, and rather than bugging him to come home in the middle of the day to pick me up, I walked to get food and then walked home. The walk was about four miles -- just the right amount to push me to my limit.

I have not been feeling hungry lately. Fine by me... I still have a bit of dietary repenting to do after that week with my parents.

When Hubby and I fly out on Saturday, I am going to start my new, top-secret weight loss healthy lifestyle program. Until then, though, I shall keep y'all in suspense as to what the program is. Mwahahahaha.

Not much else going on. This morning at work I cut my finger on a knife. The cut only bled a little, and it is very shallow. Only four hours later, I am sitting here with the bandage off and there is no blood. But does anybody know whether I need a tetanus (SP?) shot for a little cut with a metal knife?

Anyway, happy Monday.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #474  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

TBJ: You shouldn't need to bother with a tetanus shot, depending on how the knife is used and when your last shot was. If you've had a shot in the past 5 years or so, you should be ok. Last time I had an injury where tetanus was a concern (stepped on a nail when we were re-shingling our roof), the dr. said "if you start getting spidery red stripes up your leg, you should probably come get a shot." Great advice there! As it turned out, I *did* end up going in for a shot (because of spidery red stripes covering my foot and starting up my leg), and there was no problem after that.

Then again, I think in your situation I might consider getting the shot whether I needed it or not. You never know what you'll be exposed to during and after the move. I'd probably want all of my medical stuff up-to-date. Then again, I suppose you'll have to find another dr once you move, so you might as well have a reason, right?

OK, now I'm just being silly. Perhaps I should try working for a while, that'll knock the silliness right out of me!

Anyway, just my two cents.

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #475  
motomom

Default Tuesday AM

Morning Chickies...
I started to post yesterday, but couldn't get on because 3FC were doing maintenance of some sort at that time...but...

I wanted to share with you all how my day went! I didn't get in any exercise, but calories were MUCH lower than my days previous. I came in at 1647 which is better, but probably could have done without the 250 calorie icecream & caramel topping last night! OK, this is going to take time to get back on the wagon, but at least I am planning my lunches, which seems to be the biggest obstacle for me!

This morning I will have time to go down and get on my bike for 20 minutes!!! I've already consumed over 300 calories for breakfast and I only had my coffee (with 3 T creamer at 90 calories) and a piece of toast with pb & jam!!! WOW!!! Amazing how all those little things add up, isn't it? I'm glad I am writing this stuff down...it really helps me to actually SEE where I am putting in those calories throughout the day!

I just watched on the Today show this morning about a golfer (sorry, forgot her name) who lost 60 lbs over 2 years and she did it the "old fashioned" way, like we are...life style change with food and exercise! She looks great! That's about what I need to lose and I still can't visualize myself wearing a size 8 or 10!! I've never worn that size in all my life, but I know it is possible! I have about 50 lbs to lose! It used to be 40, but I've gained back the 10 that I lost last year, so now we are back to square one! I can do this with all of you!

I've posted my little "motivation speech" (can't think of another name for it!) in my bathroom and at the computer. I will put one right on the freezer for those times when I think I HAVE to have icecream late at night! Grrrrr!
I'm feeling quite motivated today and yesterday. I'm happy to be back in the driver's seat (as someone so profoundly wrote) of my life and I'm going to rock everyone's world around me!!!!!!! How's that for confident??? LOL!

OK...you all have a great day! I'm going down to ride.......................
Old 10-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #476  

Hello All!

Sorry about my absence yesterday....I was in the midst of a major chocolate binge and it wasn't pretty. For better or worse, I ate enough that I think I can leave the Hershey kisses alone for awhile.

Julie.....Nope, no teasers about the new challenge.....mostly because I haven't put it together yet. I have been doing some reading and hopefully that will get me going in the right direction.

Joy....Yes, I have been with the same company for 26 years now and that adds up to 4 weeks vacation. I had been saving some time up, as I thought DH was going to have surgery (he isn't), so I still have 5 days vacation days left!

Elisha....I have all my fingers and toes crossed.....and would appreciate hearing that all is going well with the house!

TBJ.....Only 4 days left before the big move. I don't know about you but even I am getting excited! Make sure you get a good long distance phone plan, and that should calm the nervous parents.

Gotta fold up early tonight,....laundry calleth!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #477  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hi I guess it's time to 'fess up. I can't avoid you guys forever

I'm afraid its easier said than done. I'm big on talk with no follow through. Yesterday was good until DH didn't take anything out for dinner... so we went out. Why is it that I have to "gorge" myself instead of eating reasonably. I can reason with myself that that is how I should handle things, but when I get there the enticement of the food takes over and I turn into a glutton. GRRR... today was going not too bad - but went for a walk at coffee and stopped for my walking partner to pick up a sandwich.... and of course I had to buy a "huge" muffin and some "baked" Lays. I'm afraid that the bag o' treats is getting the better of me too. I think we had 100 treats... most are gone.

Pass some of that "motivation" over Julie.... I'm sure it's contagious.

MsRD... I feel like I should look like a combination of Oh Henry, Glossett Raisins and Peanuts and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups ... can you picture it. Easier to be a

Good for you Elisha, DH & I need to start planning menus too... especially who's doing dinner and who's taking stuff out of the freezer.

TBJ I'm so excited for you... I can hardly wait 4 days to go?

Betani ... How are you doing chickie? Yoo Hoo

Well.....Tomorrow's gotta be better (can't get much worse). Sometimes you just feel like a

Hugs
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #478  
motomom

Default Happy Hump Day!

Well chickies...Seems this new challenge is just what we need to get some of us up off of our rear-ends and get moving as well as get back to those good eating habits!

Yesterday would have been better calorie wise if I:
1. Would have eaten JUST ONE breakfast instead of two!
2. Had more veggies instead of noodles with my Chinese last night!

But overall, it was a better day than previous weeks/months because:
1. I had only 1800 calories (which is more than I want, but better than previous)
2. I did NOT eat the cookies that the residents baked for an activity yesterday afternoon, even though I brought some home for DH & DD (I put them in the trunk)!
3. I WORKED OUT BEFORE WORK...22 minutes on the bike! Today I am going for 25!!!

I figure that I just have to take this day by day and if I have MORE "green" days than "yellow or red" (thanks for letting me steal that) days, I should be doing ok! The bottom line is that I want my clothes to fit me again and I want to buy a new wardrobe a size smaller (size 14) or less! I refuse to allow the scale to dictate to me how I am progressing! Refuse, I tell you!

OK...Joy...get your hiney going chickie. Take one day at a time. Start writing down what you eat...It amazes me how motivating and empowering this can be. I hadn't done this in a very long time and I remember that when I was doing it, I was losing weight. Right now I am striving for 1500 calories but I want to cut that back a bit once I start losing...to maybe 1300 or even (gasp!) 1200!!!! But for me, eating fruits and veggies every day is key! I know I have said that before and it seems so easy to do, but for some reason, other fat and calorie laden foods seem to appear in my mouth more easily...so this is changing my habits for now!

MsRD...I'm sure whatever your challenge will be, will be just what we need! Sorry about the chocolate binge! I think I am going to have TBJ get out the Evil Tazer on both you and Joy...it helped motivate me!!!!

Elisha...Girl! Where are you? We miss you when you don't post for one day! How's the house hunting? Life in general?

TBJ...3 more days...and counting! I can imagine the excitement and anxiety you must feel right now! Oooooh...I'm so excited for you! You go girl!

Betani...We miss you, chickie! Get back here this instant!

OK chickies...gotta go hop in the shower and get DD motivated to get moving this morning! Sun's not up yet, so she moves in sloooooooooow motion! LOL!

Hugs!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #479  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default Treading Water

I'm here! Just trying to catch up after vacation. My partner is still out on medical leave, which means there was no one to do any of our work last week! That didn't stop the deliveries of books, though.

I have 3 lbs of vacation weight to lose, but if I can get exercise in gear again, it won't take too long.

My test results came back OK, so there's no physical obstructions or thyroid problems causing me to cough. The "brain medicine" is really helping. The cough is almost gone.

Well, I've got 67 boxes of books waiting to be unpacked, barcoded, received, invoiced, and shelved (not to mention the 7 piles of paperwork), so I'd better get going! I'll try to come back later to comment.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #480  
motomom

OK...just an accountability check in!

Exercise: 25 minutes on the bike this morning
Food: 1820 calories (had a "stress moment" this afternoon and ate some mini candy bars totalling 280 calories! YIKES!)
Water: 64 oz

Not bad, but I still need to be about 300 calories less each day! GOTTA stay away from the goodies even if I DO want them! Also had Fazolli's tonight...Grilled Chicken Ceasar salad with dressing on the side...and 2 breadsticks at 180 calories each! YIKES! Do you think taking my calorie counter with me might save me some calories throughout the day??? DUH!!!

I have this little pocket "The Docotor's pocket Calorie/Fat & Carb counter...it has everything in it. There's these little cartoons and small informational paragraphs. I just read one about weight gain during early menopause!! HA! And then there's this quote:
"Real women don't have hot flashes...they have power surges"!!!!
LMAO!!! That MUST be the problem these days!!! Phew!

OK, hugs to all! Betani...glad you checked and that cough is going away! Hmmm...must be something about the brain cough! Interesting! Now back to those books, chickie!