The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #451  

I'm new to this site, so please forgive me if I mess this up. I just got The Biggest Winner Shape up DVDs and was looking for others that are doing the same program. If so, any pointers would be helpful. Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #452  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Welcome karate mama. I am doing the workouts from the book Winning by Losing so I am not familiar with the DVDs. I think there is another thread on this page of people that are doing and tracking there DVD workouts here. Snoop around a little and I bet you pick up a lot of information. Welcome to 3fc!!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #453  

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just did Jillians Shape Up Front workout for the first time. I hope this gets easier the more times I do it. It was tough, but I made it through. Talk to you soon.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #454  

Welcome aboard karate mama!!
Jillians workouts are tough, and feel good about just getting through them. They are well worth it...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #455  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey karatemama - it does get easier...get her book when you get bored of the DVD....it will give you more choices of exercises to do. (Altho I do think the DVD is good, too!) I'm on my second time through her book workouts - the second time is way easier than the first time through. I feel I have come a long way in the last 14 weeks.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #456  

I did Tuesday of week 3 today....I tried a different gym....the verdict is still out. Maybe I just need to get used to it - but I'm pretty spoiled by the all women's gym. That and fancy machine that don't have weights to rack...and little pictures of how the machine works... I've got to admit - it's right on the way home. It just feels funny working out with guys.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #457  
Chick

Morning-Gina, it might turn out okay. I know I would feel the same about working out with guys. I visited a gym close to my home once and then went and spied on who worked out the same time I would be. Way too intimidating for me at the time but you never know.... Not only of the male persuasion but the young male persuasion. I teach young men every day and love them, but working out in front of them is way scary. But I bet it is like anything else, once you get used to it, not such a big deal.

Anyway, I did my cardio day in sequence yesterday and did another marathon (for me) hike. 8 or so miles. It showed on the scale this a.m. too. I made my 2 lbs. this week. I am so pleased!

Boy, it's pretty interesting to watch the changes. A little disconcerting actually. Right now my saddle bags are so pronounced. Even though the circumference of my body is smaller there than it was. The surrounding area has shrunk more. Just finding out what has been buried under all the layers of fat - more fat!

TGIF and Rest day!

Last edited by ledom; 02-17-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #458  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations ledom!!! You are on fire!!! And I don't believe a word of what you are saying...."under fat is more fat?" totally untrue!! ITS MUSCLE BABY!!!
Keep up the good work.

Chick....Give yourself more credit, you have transformed yourself and have more where with all than most of those dim witted guys!!!.....you are doing such a fantastic job, that gym might feel alittle 'foreign' the first few times but could end up being a nice change for you.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #459  
Chick

awwww Angel, what an angel you are to point that out. You're right, there is muscle under there and I just need to keep pounding away to get to a place where it is more visible.

Have any of you been watching the Olympics? I was blown away last night watching the women's snowboard cross. What physical specimens - I just love to watch those strong women in action. The skaters too, there were a couple that the commentator described as really strong and powerful, another words the girls that weren't afraid to have muscles. They are my role models. But those skateboarders hurling down the slopes, goodness what a thrill that I would love to experience.

And this reminds me of a student that attends the university where I teach. She was on the swim team until recently. She had the body of a Jillian. Just so buff, not an ounce of fat. All of a sudden she started looking like the you skeletors, that Richie girl, that Olsen girl? What the he!! - I had so admired her physique and I know I wasn't the only one. Come to find out she was in some kind of contest (wet t-shirt maybe?), somebody made the comment to her that she looked like she could be a fitness competitor and it crushed her. Can you imagine? I was noticing her from behind this week, before I knew who I was looking at and she just looks frail. So sad, I miss her the way she was. I would so love to say something to her that wouldn't be taken the wrong way and that would be helpful but I absolutely don't have a clue about how to go about it. I wish I had told her how great she looked last year.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #460  

ledmom- People are so influenced by the media these days. They think the perfect body is the skinniest one possible. Even the big stars are doing this now. I would give anything to look like Jillian. I prefer her look to Richie or the Olsen girl any day.

I've had a very rough week. I'm having some problems at work and think it is time for a career change. Also, Thursday was my 39th birthday. With that being so close to Valentine's day, my eating has been horrible this week. I'm still nursing my knee. I'm hoping to move on and put this week behind me. I will begin week 9 on Monday. I'm looking forward to a new circuit and to getting back on track with my eating.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #461  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I watched the Olympics last night also.....the snowboard cross is CRAZY!!! Did you see Lindsey Jacobelli ?....she was so far in the lead....(they said 140ft in front) and then she started to do a fancy 'grip' move in a jump, really showboating....and then fell !!! Thankfully she got up and completed the course but she sacrificed the GOLD MEDAL.....she'll always remember that move!!!

That is too bad about that girl. There is such a fine line between a mental body image and physical body image. I bet she doesn't even 'see' the state that her body is in now. Such a shame. I wonder how or what you could say to her without overstepping the bounds, since she isn't a friend without hurting her feelings. I'd give that one alot of thought before doing something......

Shaunarae....Sorry to hear that you're having such a tuff week. Try to go for small mini successes, meal by meal to get back on track. You don't want to start a huge downward spiral when you've been doing so well. Stop it now!!! btw....Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #462  
Chick

Shaunarae - First off Happy Birthday Woohoo!

I remember 39, it is traumatic, much more than 40 was for some reason. But let me say from the ripe old age of 52, it just gets better. Really!

I am sorry work is giving you problems. B'day, V'day, stress are all things that can sure give your diet and exercise plan a hiccup. Celebrate the fact that that was last week. You'll get it back together, you just will. And it will be so worth it. You have been doing a great job.

Angel, you are so right and I don't think I could say anything to her. I just wish I had complimented her before. My own daughter is her age and it is such a scary time. Time to leave home, make your own decisions, pressures of so many kind. The best thing I can think to do is just let her know I am there if she needs anything. We aren't close and I think most college students hold themselves a little away from there teachers anyway.
That isn't a bad thing. I just hate to see her cause herself some real problems down the road.

Anyway, back to my own life. Got my workout done today. I started week 3 today but added a little cardio. Food is right on plan.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #463  

ledom - I'm not sure I would say anything to the skinny chick now, either...that is really sad, tho. Maybe she will figure out how unhealthy she feels in comparison to how she felt before when she was buffed.
angeleyes - Lindsey's comment on the newscast I heard was "Oh well, stuff happens...I was just out there having fun"....it's just the Olympics There's always in 4 more years...I bet she doesn't try that move at the end again.
shaunarae - Happy Belated Birthday! I'm practically in time for your 40th. I hope work is getting better - it sux when it's no fun anymore. Career changes are not impossible - they just need to be planned in advance...so start checking around now before you are completely fed up with where you are now.
Hey Tyneebutt - how are those knees doing? Did they stop clicking?
I did Friday of week 3....one more in the hopper. Today I found my old food journal from 2003....alright ladies, prepare yourselves for a show stopper....drum roll please....I was eating less than I am now. Ya think maybe that's how I was losing weight then? I will research further and let you know. Turns out I was averaging between 1250-1350 cals a day...fitday for the last month right now averages 1583....the biggest difference is that I'm burning more calories now....apparently not enough to make up for the added calories along with the fact that I have a lot less to lose. Time to do some more tweaking. Too bad this doesn't get that much easier as time goes by. I have learned quite a bit along the way...it's just hard to consistantly apply it all the time.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #464  

Default weight loss novice

Hi girls!

I just registered for this forum. From reading through some of the posts, everyone seems to be so supportive and friendly. I just finished reading Jillian Michaels book and I will be starting her program this week. I'm a bit intimidated with all the exercises... I hope I can do them. I have a gym membership... now I have to learn how to use those weight machines! Well here goes!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #465  
Chick

AWRIGHT Kim! Welcome to the exercise thread. It'll be tough, it'll be a challenge, and you'll love it. Let us know how day 1 goes!