The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #571  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Morning ladies -

X 24 + 3 to you Gina. You're my hero. Wow, wow, wow. I know you are feeling fab these days.

Angel-eyes, yep missed you and glad you are back. Hey there newbies.

I have found myself at the end of a long (for me) run of doing everything right to that struggling place. I got really hungry and really tired, well don't we all? and just lost it. My scale is up 5 lbs. from last weigh-in day. I know I know!!! Finally yesterday I got my food back under control and let me tell you what a struggle it was. I know from experience though that each day will get a little easier. And hey, compared to when I first started yesterday was relatively easy. I am going to start my exercise sequence back tomorrow. Sat. and Sun. offer no excuses not to get my workout in so I know I can do it. Forcing myself to get on the scale this a.m. wasn't very easy either - but so helpful to face the music.

As motivation ebbs and flows I think I am getting a little better at handling things. I am just now trying to remember what Jillian says about not beating yourself up for anything less than perfect. If I can't just pick myself up and dust myself off then I'll never do this. And I want to do this so badly.

So anyway, that is the state of my situation now. I am not going to make my goal of hitting 199 by May 12. But I can get so close to it and somehow I am going to have to get my balance back.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #572  

S/C/G: 261/223/180

Height: 5ft 7 1/2

Ok, so I exercised consistantly this week. Sun, mon, wed, fri, 30 mins each day on the eliptical trainer. This is a good start for me, but the scales seem to be going up again I think I will get Jill's book and do a little more research on what I should be doing. Have a great weekend!

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #573  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Friday chickies!!
ledom - hey what's 5 lbs among friends? We can refocus together - I'm pretty much on the same page as you. BTW - you inspire me, too

I've been having a really hard time with my food intake as well. Don't look at my FitDay - it's scary! Beers one day...cake and cookies at work on another day...those danged cookies got me going on the first binge in a long time...why is the food part so freaking hard? Why can't I be as disciplined with my food as I am at going to work out? Well..I guess I've at least got it half right. I've been checking out the maintainers...they have a lot of wisdom...I need to work a lot harder on eating clean...I also never really did the part of Jillian's book where you right down what you felt like before you started eating....ugggghhhh
I spose I should go back and check it out again.

Enuf about me......

Cheryl - good for you with consistent workouts!! See rant above for how I'm doing at keeping my calories consumed lower than what I'm burning...do you mind if I ask if you've been journaling what you are eating? It does help - if even to tell me to get my head back in the game. No matter how much you work out it still comes down to calories in vs calories burned. Not that I'm suggesting that you are doing anything wrong - just that IMHO it's hard to troubleshoot without data.

Hi angel-eyes & Darlene!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #574  
Chick

LOL - Gina thanks for your empathy and the kick in the butt!

OK, this is the second place I am posting my quote that I just read....it's speaking to me.

from The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Always do your best...

"In your everyday moods your best can change from one moment to another, from one hour to the next, from one day to another. Your best will also change over time....Regardless of the quality, keep doing your best-- no more and no less than your best. If you try too hard to do more than your best, you will spend more energy than is needed and in the end your best will not be enough. When you overdo, you deplete your body and go against yourself, and it will take you longer to accomplish your goal. But if you do less than your best, you subject yourself to frustrations, self-judgement, guilt, and regrets."
Old 04-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #575  
Waiting to Grow Up!

Good Sunday Morning!

WARNING:
[Long Whine]
I felt so tired/burned out/whatever last week that I tried to take a short break/rest. Should have known better! Whenever I skip the weights, I have issues with the scoliosis thing and ended up back at the chiro for an adjustment Friday, will be back there Monday morning! He tells me lifting weights is the best thing I can do for the scoliosis so guess short rests are not good LoL! I will probably start with cardio in the morning and get back to weights Tuesday. I have been in pain so have not done a lot this weekend.
[/Long Whine]

I want to write comments to everyone but need to get busy. I am at work today... :sigh: It's not that bad though. I am just feeling like a slug from so much 'rest' this weekend!

Have a great Sunday!! I will report back on what I do Monday! I need to do SOMETHING!

-darlene-
Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #576  
Chick

darlene - sorry about the back pain. Hope you get it settled soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #577  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledom
If you try too hard to do more than your best, you will spend more energy than is needed and in the end your best will not be enough. When you overdo, you deplete your body and go against yourself, and it will take you longer to accomplish your goal. But if you do less than your best, you subject yourself to frustrations, self-judgement, guilt, and regrets."
That's deep....I like it. THANKS!!

darlene - sorry about your back. Kinda handy for a work out motivation tho, huh? That sounds kinda cold...I was trying to look on the bright side. Chiropractors are amazing, DH swears by his for his back problem.

I missed my workout on Saturday...so Sunday I did front and back as well as 45 minutes of cardio...then I mowed the jungle in the back yard...and walked the dog.... Today I just did 45 minutes of cardio. I'm thinking I might try doing weight training 3 days a week and cardio the other two for a while. Note: I'm not giving up my rest days...

ledom- I thought of you when I found a rowing machine....it was fun! Not quite the same as on a quiet lake....but hey..ya can't win em all.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #578  
Chick

Gina - I hear you on the way you are thinking of breaking up your workouts. I have been toying with a similar idea. Sunday I had an opportunity to hike early with a friend. I did it, then came home and did the weight portion of the workout. I really enjoyed breaking it up. I was in the basement for at least 30 minutes less, felt like I hit the weights a little more intensely too. Diet has been good since Thursday. Workouts spot on too, until today when I don't think I'll have time due to all the paperwork I have in preparation of the day. This is temporary though. Only 3 weeks left of the semester.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #579  

Well I finally figured out why I've been so binge-y lately....My two walking buddies at work are both going to work at other companies...and then a third friend announced she is also moving on. Hmmmmm....I finally put two and two together yesterday...ahh the joys of self diagnosis........I feel so much better today. At least there is a reason for my insanity. I'm kinda afraid to weigh in...and my workout today? Pathetic. I went with the intention of doing front and back both...I had no energy. Too much junk...tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is back day!

ledom - sounds like you are on track...I think I'll join you!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #580  
Chick

Gina - so good to hear what is going on with you. I just finished an hour cardio session. For me that was a 3 mile walk/jog in the neighborhood. This week went mostly good. I went out to celebrate a friends b'day last night and had 2 margarita's. Enjoyed them immensely as I don't do that often. It is one of those things though that I won't be doing again for a while.

I missed one workout this week, but that too is a major improvement over the last month. I am not back to my low, but am down 3 lbs. despite the margarita's this a.m. and weigh-in isn't until tomorrow.

Gina - sorry about the work/friend trauma. I know how unsettling that can all be. I have no doubt that now you have defined the problem it will be easier to deal with. Isn't it amazing how nutrition and exercise go hand in hand, if one suffers they both do. As soon as you feel strong step on the scale, as hard as it is I find facing the music sooner rather than later can get my attention. Unless, of course it throws me into a tailspin, I have just about learned how to tell what I should do about weighing or not.

I am feeling a turn in my slacker mood. For one thing, work is easing up considerably. There are still 2 more weeks to get through, but I have gotten through most of the end of the year wind up of committee meetings, founders day, etc. All that's left is some grading, not too much teaching at this point, just coaxing my babies on through to the end without imploding on themselves.

I am a single woman and have been for nigh on 18 years. This summer, mid July to be exact, I have a dream vacation with a man that I have adored forever. He lives in a different part of the country and I'll be visiting him for a week of kayaking, camping, looking at art, conversation, etc. I saw him last summer for the first time in years. We had a great reconnection but I felt horrible because I had gained a lot of weight. Well, since then I have lost 40 lbs. I so want to just be my best and most confident possible when I get out there for our vacation. The idea of that has been my driving force. We have started making reservations and making specific plans this past week and I am grabbing onto the possibilties of this visit to shove me into high gear. No more time to dilly dally!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #581  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I got TOM...anyone want him? no really?...not a problem. I've been on a spiral going down down down.......its a wonder I haven't gained 5 lbs!!! Sugar seems to be my best friend these days, and I know its just a matter of time before I gain big time so......as my friend Curly says....STOP THIS INSANITY!!!! dh has been home on holidays all week, so we've been PIC eating mint chip icecream (tsk tsk, ) so I HAVE TO BUCKLE DOWN!!!! Sorry to have dumped all of this on you guys.......

ledom.....YOU GO GIRL!!! hmm, how exciting for you!!! He will notice the 40lb difference BIG TIME!!! congratulations, 40 lbs is awesome!!!!

chick....sorry to hear that you're friends are leaving!! that just sucks. I just found out this week, that my good neighbour is also thinking of moving....out of state. btw....I forgot to mention how much fun your camping pics were of the beer bungie drinking!!! hehe...another trip planned soon?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:56 AM   #582  

Alrighty then, chickies - it's now unanimous....let the buckling down commence!!

angel-eyes - don't be sending TOM over here, thank you. Make the mint chip ice cream slow churn and put it in a small cone...like 150 calories if you don't pile on the ice cream...
There is another rally in San Franciso in May....Mods (scooters) vs Rockers (motorcycles)....at least the furry pants guy should hopefully have a different outfit.

ledom - Yay! Sounds like you two have a lot in common...too bad you live so far apart...maybe somebody will be looking to move after the next reunion...You are going to blow him away with your 40 pound loss...

My DH can be a PITA at times...but he is my best friend....I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

What's up, darlene?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #583  

Hi everyone. I bought Jillian's book about while ago, and have read it a couple of times..I'm glad I didn't think I could buy it and start everything the next day! I have sat down seriously and crunched the appropriate numbers, and have been on my eating plan for about a week (not sure how well I have done though, only just got my calorie counter and am still figuring out how much everything is). I have had a couple of times this week where people have almost talked me out of doing this. I went to McDonalds with a friend and when I ordered the garden salad with no dressing and a bottle of water, she laughed and made a fool out of me in front of everyone...telling me to give them my real order and that I wanted fries and everything. I stuck to my salad and enjoyed it immensely!!
I am starting my workout program on Monday as my daughter is going to "big kids school" for the first time, and I figured the gym would be a good place to console myself!! It also means I have the mornings free for my time. I was going to start this week but we had anzac day public holiday and I didn;t think it was a good idea to skip the secnd day of my workout!!
I am starting to get really excited about sticking to my workout plan...I tend to work better when I have someone telling me what to do!! I bought myself a mini trampoline and some 1kg weights yesterday...I thought that might be a fun way to do my cardio, and I got a skipping rope too!
I bought all Jillian's dvds online, which means that I now have to wait for the international postal service to deliver them downunder for me, and I have no patience whatsoever. I want things yesterday! I may have saved some money on the dvds that way, but I recently paid over $20US to get two fitness magazines from America..crazy!!
Anyway, as there is NO encouragement for me at home...I hope I can come here and share all the ups and downs with you all!

Looking foward to chatting with you all!

Kiarii
Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #584  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Kiarii,
When you get Jillians DVD's i'm sure you'll love them! I've had mine for a few weeks and while i still find them challenging , i can already tell i've begun to tone up!
I also have no support at home (My boyfriend has an obsession with eating chocolate in front of me! ), and while i'm new here too, i feel like this is a great place to come when i need help and support!
Good luck with everything, i'll be waiting to hear how you like the DVD's when they arrive!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:01 AM   #585  

Hi again

I am in desperate need of low cal recipies...
Does anyone have Aussie versions of the ones Jillian has in her books or can anyone tell me what the following things are??

half and half

Asiago cheese

bouillion

spaghetti squash

tapioca

liquid smoke

And how on earth do you broil something???

They may not be specifically American, we may have them here, but I am not very experimental in my cooking and have no idea what they are!!
If anyone has any other recipies or recipie sites I could really use them!!!!!