Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #241  
On the BLUE team! GO Blue

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/157

Height: 5'6"

I forgot a few people and didn't answer one of the questions on my previous post. First of all,
Marianne- thanks so much for the spreadsheet. What a great way for me to get to know everyone. Thanks for taking the time to do that, how sweet of you!

Amberelise- My pics were taken in Maui, HI. I was there visiting my mom in April.

That's it...just wanted to get that in
Have a good day guys!
Bren
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #242  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Dee,that's crazy that it's going to be that cold in FL? My youngest sister is in Miami area on her honeymoon. It looks like it's staying warm there.

I got to check out that book soon.

John, that's a good workout!

I had the opposite thing happen last night. I had to go to the gym late and didn't get home til 10 and couldn't fall asleep until after midnight.

Oops Theresa & Nadalie, got a little confused there! Nadalie, hope your surgery goes smoothly.

Amberelise - Good planning!! I agree with Anna, do what feels good for you. It seems that there are 3 different *scientific* views on everything diet/fitness related! I like to lift before cardio. I've done it both ways, and I have the most muscle strength for lifting if I do it before cardio. Plus, I don't find that lifting before cardio affects my cardio by making it any less intense. I do about 10 minutes of good fast cardio and get a little sweaty (I also like the sweaty, warm feeling while lifting, Anna!) before I lift and then I finish my cardio afterwards.

Good quotes:
I also LOVE the one already mentioned about nothing tastes as good...
“To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you’re not, pretend you are.” –Muhammad Ali
"Strength is a matter of a made up mind." -J Beecher
"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory." -Ghandi

Yeah! My babies are well enough to go to the gym this am. I'm going to meet with my personal trainer and spend an hour on core and upper body. And then my hour of cardio. Big workout before weigh in tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

[QUOTE=Amberelise;2004314]I've read that doing weights after cardio is good because your muscles are warmed up. But then, I read someone else say that it is NOT a good idea. What has everyone here heard? [QUOTE]

I have heard from Jillian Michaels to do it before your cardio, but you have to do a warm up first, maybe a 5 minute brisk walk or something just to get your muscles warm. Her reason was that when you do cardio first your muscles are already fatigued, or worked some, and you need to give your all to that strength training. She said put all your energy into the weights first, then move onto the cardio and you will get more out of it.

I have found this to be true. When I lift after my cardio I don't have as much energy left, and my muscles are already worn down some. I find I lift heavier and can do more reps when I do the weights first. I just jog in place, do jumping jacks, etc. for about 5-10 minutes then start with the weights.

All that said...I think weights and cardio together are the best way to go for me. Doing circuits that include both, or cardio moves while holding weights and working the arms...that gives me the best workout ever, and I get it all done at once and go longer with both.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #244  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks Rhonda...I miss you! Something will be done about this child or I will yank Mattie off the bus.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #245  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Good Morning Blue!!! Hope everyone is having a great day! We got some snow finally last night! I am so excited, but was kinda scared when I had to get out in it this morning, it was a little slick! I had to take DS to my mom's so I could go back to work after 2 days off! BOO!!

TOM is torturing me with chocolate cravings!I cheated last night and had 2 reesee cups! AGHH!! BUt I did a workout to try to redeem myself! I will try to jump back on here later and catch up.. I think I am about 3 pages behind!

GO BLUE!!

Last edited by bradleys mom; 01-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

Oh my goodness. Last night we had 14 pages when I went to bed. This morning I went to the gym for the first time to try it out. I think I am going to get a membership because I have a friend who goes there every morning who can kick my butt to make sure I go. My birthday money is going to go toward it. We have no room for any kind of machines in our apartment and I need more than just my WATP videos. I feel really good now. I know I'll probably hurt tomorrow but its worth it. I had my body fat measured and it is really bad but I did find out that I am correct in my ultimate goal to weigh 180 even though that seems high. Its just how I'm built. Well I'm off to have my lunch uninterrupted because Aiden fell asleep on the way home and is still sleeping thank goodness.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #247  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Still really haven't had a chance to dedicate time to read all of the posts. Maybe this weekend since it is a four day one. I exercised quite a bit yesterday which was great because it combated going to the Cheesecake Factory for a co-workers b-day. Basically I didn't eat everything at lunch but spread it out throughout the remainder of the day and evening. I have a lunch meeting next week but have already put in order for a light option. Because I've had a combo of good and bad days I will most likely have a smaller loss. A loss is loss no matter what and it benefits the team. I do feel in the mood to exercise again so that will help even more. Haven't decided what type of exercise I will do when I get home but the plan is to exercise.

Its snowing here and it looks beautiful. Fortunately I have a 8 minute commute so it won't affect my drive home as much as it will others.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Good morning ladies+John! Sounds like it is pretty wintery for all us N Americans today - even Vancouver might get snow today.

I just cannot seem to beat the bad sleep I've been getting since Adam went back onto night shifts. I'm up later than usual, then I wake up when he comes home in the middle of the night, and then all of a sudden my alarm is going off. It's not helping me stay on track, because when I'm tired I crave sweet and junky things. I'm mostly staying OP, but not entirely. I'm not beating myself up about it, but I am thinking about WHY I'm not completely OP, and trying to work out how to avoid the things taking me off track.

I have to admit, yesterday there might have been a tearful half-hour or so that involved me, self-pity, stress, some ice cream, and bad TV. It was a bad scene, but I pulled it together, drew myself a "marshmellow coconut" scented bubble bath with really hot water, and took some quiet time in the tub with a magazine. I felt a lot better after that, and think I was just feeling overwhelmed and frustrated about life in general and weightloss... Things are looking up today!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Oh I forgot Rhonda wanted quotes! I'm a sucker for a good quote. Here are some of my recent favourites:

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” - Maria Robinson

“The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won’t.” ~Henry Ward Beecher

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” -Emerson

“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” - the WHO Constitution

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

“So, whatever you want to do, just do it… making a damn fool of yourself is absolutely essential.” Gloria Steinem

“You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.” Beverly Sills

"For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.” T.S. Eliot

“The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try nothing and succeed.” Lloyd Jones

“Don’t bother just to be better than you contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” William Faulkner

I'll be back later today to check in again and do some personals. Take care Bluesers!!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #250  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

OK, my personal weekly weigh-in is generally Wednesdays, BUT I forgot to weigh yesterday (which for me is amazing, because I am one of those attached to my scale kind of people)

I posted it in my post on the Blue Team Weigh-in Thread and I am down 5.2 pounds. WHOO HOO

Of course, I am home early with my DS because of the snow and really want to just munch. RESIST THE PANTRY! Come on Ladies and John. Chant with me!

GO BLUE
Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #251  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

WTG Kelly on the 5+ pounds!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #252  
I'm ready to get started!

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'1"

Hello all,

I just wanted to check in and say hey. I hope to get to go WI tomorrow. If the fogginess leaves my head then I guess I will feel like driving. I tell you I wish they had taken these things out when I was younger. I have not been able to even be close to plan but I don't think I am gaining. I have been eating soup, jello, ice cream, and the family had pizza last night. I tell you I spent more calories trying to chew it with my front teeth then I actually took in. I know that was not the smartest thing to eat but I am hungry. I tell you I really want an apple.

Congratulations to everyone on your losses and hopefully I will be back to normal soon and get to do some personals.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #253  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

I really like that quote. Might become a new screen saver.

I have a confession. DS woke up this morning with a rash that freaked my out. We have been battling colds here for a month. I took him in and found out he has a double ear infection. Luckily DD's ears are still clear. So now my poor guy has antibiotics. I stopped at McD's drive thru to get the kids some lunch as it was already late thanks to the wait at the pharmacy. I wasn't going to get myself anything. I haven't eaten anything from there other than salads in about 3 months. I caved. I ordered a double cheeseburger w/no pickle, a chicken sandwich w/extra mayo, and two apple pies. That used to be my twice weekly lunch before I started to lose weight.

Now I don't want anyone to tell me it will be okay and that I can start over with a good dinner. I want you ladies and John to give me ****. Go all Jillian on me and tell me how it wasn't worth it and what not. PLEASE!

The good part was I did purchase a set of 5 pound dumbbells today. The store was out of 8's. I plan on putting them to work in a few minutes.

Now give me some crap. Beat me down. Make me stronger.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #254  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Okay you asked for it...

Double Cheeseburger 440 calories - 23 grams fat /34 carb /25 protein
Chicken Sandwich 360 calories - 16 fat / 40 carb / 14 protein
Apple Pie (each) 270 calories - 12 fat / 36 carb / 3 protein

So, not counting that extra mayo - you consumed 1340 calories for lunch? Was it worth it?

I'm not passing judgement though, more than a few of those apple pies have crossed my path.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #255  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

On a totally un-weight loss related topic, I just wanted to share this picture of my new "baby." He's a month old, so he'll get to come home and join me and Franny next month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruffpup3-11208.jpg (25.9 KB, 13 views)