Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Hey all - if anyone wants to share/use the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of us all, it's on Google Docs here. If the forums remove the link, I can PM it or something. It's all just info that was in this thread, so if people posted intros in the all teams thread, I missed it.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #122  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Default Does anyone know?

Today I did 50 minutes on the treadmill....I decided about 3/4 of the way through to try something I'd seen on TBL. I was walking at 3.7 fast and turned it right down to 2.5 and turned around and walked backwards...

First of all, what a weird feeling!! Second of all, after just a minute I broke out in a huge sweat...I stayed on for about 5 minutes like that and then turned around.

So my question is: what muscles does that work?? Is it doing anything productive or is it just some fancy TV thing and I shouldn't follow what they are doing...I know they do extreme things because it's a major competition...just wondering if anyone knows.

Thanks!
Ginger
Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #123  
I'm ready to get started!

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'1"

Hello all,

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes. I have only had to take the pain meds once today. I am having trouble eating and can't open my jaw very much. The swelling seems to be getting better. I got on the scale this morning and it says that I have lost weight. Go figure. I keep asking myself how do you lose weight eating ice cream. Well, I guess I will find out about the weight loss when I get to WI. I will try to check back in later.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #124  
Wanting to want to lose

S/C/G: 270/271/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi. I'm so excited about doing this challenge. It's my first one and I'm going to lose weight this year. I haven't gotten to read this whole thread yet (didn't get any internet time yesterday and can't believe how long it is) but will introduce myself as I try to get through it.

1. What do you prefer we call you? Melissa

2. What weightloss plan are you using? Weight Watchers Core (I think...I'm still trying to figure out what works for me)

3. What is your favorite exercise? Chasing my daughter around

4. What is one area that you struggle? I have little to no self control and so if I slip I have a hard time getting back to doing the right thing. Chocolate is my downfall.

5. What is one area of your weightloss journey that you excel at? I have never excelled. I hope I can answer this by the end of the challenge.

6. What is your short term goal? I'd love to lose 30 pounds during this challenge.

7. What will you reward yourself with when you reach that goal? A pair of earrings.

8. Best weight loss tip?

9. Bob or Jillian? Bob

10. Tell us about yourself! I am a 30 year old SAHM of my 3 year old daughter. She has a feeding tube due to feeding issues and my whole day revolves around food (tying to get her to eat, fighting with her over food, keeping track of how much she eats/doesn't eat, putting food/liquid in her tube, and waking up in the middle of the night if there is a problem with her feeding tube/pump) and I have put myself in last place trying to get her to be healthy. I finally feel like we are at a place where I can focus on myself some and am excited about that.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #125  

Height: 5'9"

Okay, I backtracked and read the entire thread starting from page 1. I am officially caught up!

The entire time I was reading I kept thinking - "please don't go to page 9, please don't go to page 9." Halfway through I clicked to the next page and the last page went from 8 to 9. Uuugh. You guys were posting faster than I was reading, haha.

So, with that. . . I will, for the first time ever, do a few personals.

Chellez - Very nice banner. I am sure that took some time. Thank-you, yet again, for taking the time out to set up this challenge. I have been looking forward to this one for a few weeks now. The weight lost during this challenge will be attributed to you! Btw, you're going to have a good week because of all the exercise one gets from moving. Take it from a girl that has moved 14 times in her lifetime. It's hard work.

Chellez Again - World of Warcraft!!! I have a level 70 human warlock on the Drenden server "Zamura". Haha, I had to quit the game in August. She was overtaking my life. I think I gained 20 lbs. from playing WoW.

Vix - Congrats on your NSV! It feels so good to have people notice.

Vanessa - You're lucky that it's summer for you right now. It has got to be so much easier to get out and do things when the weather is nice. We're expecting a high of 8 degrees F on Saturday here in Chicago. Once you factor in the windy city's wind chill it is going to be MISERABLE!! I actually DRIVE from my condo to the gym in this weather because it's parking garage to parking garage. Total drive length? 2 blocks. No, it's not lazy, it's intollerence to cold.

Purplefly - I hear you about posting of the photos. I think the problem is that all of us have an idea in our head of how we want our body to look and those photos are reminders to ourselves that we're not there yet. (Or, *sigh* may never be there.) If anything, it's great motivation. I will be mortified if I don't have any change between now and the end of the challenge.

Victoria - I studied opera from Mara Rice back when I was in high school. Mara toured Europe for a while and put out a couple of records. I actually took the voice lessons for musical stage theatre. I have't professionally sang in over a decade, though. I have to say, every once in a while I miss my "ya yas". What shool are you attending?

Zinke - Ha-ha, I love how you worded your introduction. I have issues, too. I'm always telling my fiance that when he asks me how in the world I just ate 4 string cheese, a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and three skinny cow ice cream sundae cones. I. . . have . . . issues.

FrouFrou - You and I both have the same 12 pound goal! I already fear I won't be able to do it. Isn't that sad? I need more faith in myself.

Rosalie - Inhibitions are certainly lose when drinking, aren't they? My fiance and I went to Target last night after sharing a bottle of wine. Let me tell you, we came home with half the store. You all would fall over if you knew how much we spent.

Blue apples - The Packers? Ewwww. Booooo-hissssss.

Practice - I hear you on the bat wings. That's why I made sure to include my arm making the muscle motion in my before picture. I want to have nice toned arms by the end of this challenge.

Aileen - You and I have the same career. I keep an eye on the newbies here at the firm when they get hired. 75% of them gain around 30 lbs or more within the first year. What is it about our job that makes us all fat asses? As an unrelated heads up, check the $1 area of Target for scrapbooking supplies. I was looking through yesterday and they had a bunch of bins for V'day scrapbooking supplies AS WELL AS New Year's resolutions & weight loss bits.

krjpy - Weighted hula hoop? Never heard of it. Is that a good abs workout? Where could I get one if I were interested?

Ferrari - Bummer about the wisdom teeth. I had that done 2 years ago and it was very painful. In fact, it actually hurt more than I expected it to hurt. I hope you're feeling better!

Ginger - I hear you about the nighttime cravings. That's what gets me every time, too. I can't figure out how to get around them. I'm beginning to think that I'll just go home after the gym and go to bed to avoid them. The tea would work if I liked hot tea. . . See above where I talked to Aileen about the scrapbooking materials in the Target $1 bins. No clue about the walking backwards on the treadmill. I can't see how it would be bad for you, though.

Soon - Oh my gosh, you are such an inspiration. I love that you're a foster mom. I would love to do that, but I live in a studio, so, ya know. . . You're incredibly inspiring and so positive. Those kids are very lucky.

John - YES, we have a guy on our team! I expect big weight loss from you buddy. Guys can shed the weight so much faster. So, ya know, no pressure or anything.

HH - I have a pair of skinny jeans that I really want to fit me. Well, they sorta do already fit. That's a new development. However, they leave seam lines on my skin so they don't fit as well as they should.

Rhonda - Congrats on the treadmill!!! Yay! Keep up the good work. I'm proud of you. I did leg weights last night, too. I woke up to a very sore butt, ha-ha. TMI!! My favorite BL team is the orange team. I think that's because they're from Chi-town.

ckatgo - what is stash? Where can I get it? That sounds amazing.

Pam - Congrats on the good day. I always find that a really good day is motivation for the next day being a good one, too.

sportmom - I was still reading! I read the entire thing. I will just wait to "find out", though.

onthetee - I LOVE doing jigsaw puzzles. My fiance and I like to watch a movie while we piece them together. For Valentine's Day this year I think I'm going to get our very first puzzle professionally framed. (It's currently glued together under our bed.) We're buying our first condo this fall and I'd like to be able to hang it somewhere in our new home.

kgood - did you get your little one down for a nap this morning? I hope so for your sake. Good sleep promotes weight loss.

Sara - I'll cross my fingers for your weigh-in tomorrow.

Bren - Where was your before picture taken? The scenery is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I read a reeeally interesting article online while I ate my lunch. It was written by Michael Pollan, the guy who wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma and a few other books about food in North America, and said "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." The article was about the shift from food to "nutrients" and "food products" in modern time, and it's fascinating. It's on the New York Times online, and the article is called "Unhappy Meals" if anyone wants to read it.

Melissa - Welcome to 3FC and the challenge! I'm confident you'll find an answer to the excelling question during the challenge. I'm glad you feel ready and able to put some focus back onto yourself!

Dionne - How do you lose weight eating ice cream? Only when you are sick/had surgery! Are you making sure to eat some soup, too? Your body is going to need some vitamins, minerals and other nutrients the ice cream can't provide as it heals!

Ginger - I would *guess* that the walking backwards works the same muscles as walking forward, but that it uses them differently, if that makes sense. The ones that are normally pushing will be pulling, and vice versa. Plus, if it made you work harder, then it's just good for your heart and lungs! Also - I'm so glad there's another BC gal on here! I live in Vancouver.

Shay
- I looove the bad American Idol auditions - they're the only ones I watch! But... if they are up against TBL, I won't watch 'em.

Nadalie - Aww I hope your little one is feeling better soon. Sounds like she must be feeling a little better to be building a fort! How fun!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #127  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
krjpy - Weighted hula hoop? Never heard of it. Is that a good abs workout? Where could I get one if I were interested?
I think is works on the abs pretty good. I won't ever have 6 pack abs, but I do get an hourglass shape, so I like it.

http://www.sports-hoop.com/
Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #128  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissingginger View Post
So my question is: what muscles does that work?? Is it doing anything productive or is it just some fancy TV thing and I shouldn't follow what they are doing...I know they do extreme things because it's a major competition...just wondering if anyone knows.

Thanks!
Ginger
I would imagine your quads are working more while walking backwards compared to forwards. Plus it would help your balance so much too...since it's not something "normal", kwim? I know I've heard that the muscle activity that happens when you walk backward is totally different from what happens when you walk straight. I've even seen people put the incline way up walking backwards and even walking "sideways" Sort of like when you're walking up a hill in skiis. WTG!

Bren - your pic is gorgeous!

Congrats, Vicki! I'm sure that song is special to you.

I have to get DH to take a pic of me this week and post it. I posted my impressive starting numbers. There's a whole bunch of me, that's for sure!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #129  

I've posted this fun tidbit a few times, but I will share again for my blue team.

For those of you that are insured with Blue Cross, Blue Shield there is a program called "Blue Points." It is amazing for this weightloss challenge. They have a fitness tracker that also gives you workout suggestions. There is a nutrition area where you fill in everything you ate that day and it will calculate not only your calories, but whether you had enough veggies, dairy, meats, whole grains, etc. If you type the brand name of the item, it will pull that food item up, give you reasons why you should eat that food, and it lists the ideal serving size. There is a lifestyle section that gives you tips on being more positive, or how to get more sleep, or how to handle your finances.

It has articles that I find INCREDIBLY information. For example, there is an article there that I reach which quoted a study finding that those that eat six smaller meals a day in the end consume more calories than those that eat 3 meals. Further, metabolsim actually burns higher for the 3 meals people. But, the articles cover every aspect of life from child rearing to finding the perfect vacation location.

Anyway. . . you get points every time you visit the website and use these tools. You can earn up to 1,000 points a week. You then turn the points in for prizes. I'm going for 50,000 points which will get me a $250 gift certificate to Target.

Like I said, if you have BCBS, check it out.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #130  

Gah, those hoops cost more than I would have expected. I'll have to work hard to convince my fiance into letting me get one. I've already convinced him into the gym membership, the polar watch, the DDR for Wii, the Pilates video with ball, the Pilates classes and the resistance band.

Last edited by Amberelise; 01-15-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #131  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Gah, those hoops cost more than I would have expected. I'll have to work hard to convince my fiance into letting me get one. I've already convinced him into the gym membership, the polar watch, the DDR for Wii, the Pilates video with ball, the Pilates classes and the resistance band.
Wow! You're a really good negotiator!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #132  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hello ladies, and Gent!

Whew...took me forever to get thru all those pages...you guys have definitely been busy little bees with the posting! Of course I did take a break from the reading long enough to get in 50 minutes of walking on the treadmill. Doing better today with it, not as embarrassing as yesterdays walk. I was going to do 60 minutes but decided to up it to 75 so will post that later on this evening.

Okay, now I will attempt individuals! Pleas forgive me if I forget someone, or get things a little mixed up, it is not intentional. It will probably take a little while to get to know everyone.

CHELLE...enjoy all the painting and fixing up your house! Ha! I bet the player left those letters there on purpose.

MARIANNE...I tried your link and you have to sign in. But...I have basically done the same thing...well, I put the blue teams usernames and names so I can figure out who is who. Woohoo to the new toys! Let me know how you like your NB's. I bought a pair a while back, not the same ones but they are the same as what I had before. Although, they changed the look a little and they actually fit different which is weird. I'm not 100% pleased with them though. I put a lot of miles on my last pair and will be more on these. I love the shoes some of the ladies use on the turbo jam dvds...they look springy!

NADALIE...glad you had flex points for the day! And...glad your daughter doesn't have strep. Hope she gets to feeling better.

AMBERELISE...I have faith that you will make your goal! And thanks for the info...we do have BC and I will definitely be checking that out.

MELISSA & BEV!

DIONNE...hope you feel better soon! MMmmm, ice cream sounds so good!

VIXJEAN...love the words to that song! And CONGRAT'S on being clean & sober! :congrats:

DIXIE...ha! I did the same thing while sitting here making notes to update.

SARA...WTG on the workout! And good luck on you WI tomorrow!

BREN...GREAT pic! Thanks for sharing...looks like a peaceful place.

ANNA...good for you for getting back on plan...none of us are perfect-we are only human.

RHONDA...I am ready for tonights TBL! Idon't think I have a fav yet...I think I am kinda leaning towards the blue team or the orange...we'll see as it goes on.

ALANA...good for you getting the workout and eating better!

VANESSA...WTG on the 4 lbs. lady! and the added miles! You are doing GREAT!

PAM...WTG on staying within your points and the exercise...brag away, you have ever right to!

AMBERD...thanks for your story, it's nice reading everyones and seeing where we all are at and have been with the weight loss.

ZINKEMOM...woohoo to winning the WATP! How the heck did you manage that? I love them...I have the 1, 2, 3 & 4 mile ones and the 2.5 mile walk & jog one, and hope to add more.

SELINA...I am in awe of you. I very much admire people who foster and adopt. It is such a blessing. WTG on day 141 of your challenge.

PURPLE...to tackle eating at night I eat dinner at a later hour. I started this a while back. Used to always want something after dinner so changed dinner time to between 6:30 and 7:30, and it's working. But if for some reason it doesn't I will get on the computer or read. And sometimes just getting into a good movie keeps me out of the kitchen.

JOHN...I agree, you are a brave soul! Glad to have you here though. And WTG on your workout!

Okay, I hope I got everyone. Of course there are probably a dozen more posts while I was typing this, lol. Oh well...there's always tonight! I think I got a workout though just from all the typing...does that count?

Ran some errands this morning then got in some computer time and some laundry done. Going to do a little bit of reading and folding my clothes now until time to cook dinner and watch TBL! Chat with ya's later

Last edited by FrouFrou; 01-15-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Anyway. . . you get points every time you visit the website and use these tools. You can earn up to 1,000 points a week. You then turn the points in for prizes. I'm going for 50,000 points which will get me a $250 gift certificate to Target.

Like I said, if you have BCBS, check it out.
WOW! We have BCBS and I knew about the program, but did not realize you could get great gifts like that. I will checkit out tonight.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #134  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

Hello everyone :waves: Its Wednesday morning here and I am hoping to have another to PLAN day. How do you start your day off? Do you have a standard breakfast or do you mix and match?

My standard breakfast is weetbix with bran, low fat milk and some tin fruit drained. It fills me up and keeps me satisfied until its time for lunch. Plus its high in fibre.

I will catch up with the personals when it is night here - that's when my little monster is in bed and I can have "me" time again.

Glad to see everyone here sounds like they are on track.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Chelle--This is the first time hubby has been out this long, and we are both not happy about it! He normally is home every weekend, and then usually one night during the week. We both like having our space and it has worked out really well for us. Sometimes I can't wait for him to leave...but I ALWAYS can't wait for him to come home.

onthetee--Let us know how you did the rest of the day. It's great that you can slip up and immediately get it under control.

Ginger--I think walking backward works different muscles, and as someone else said is not common to everyday life. If you immediately got that worked up, it is doing something for you, even if just shocking your body, it will burn some calories for you. I wish I had a treadmill to try it out!

Dionne--You can lose eating ice cream if you are burning off more calories than you are taking in. You must be

Melissa--I know it must be a lot harder when you have a little one who needs extra focus. It is great when they get a bit bigger and you can focus on yourself, isn't it? Mine are finally to the ages they understand mommy needs to do some things for herself, and I am so thankful.

Amber--You are so right! I have this idea of who I am in my head, but when I look in the mirror that is NOT it! I am really striving to be on the outside what I feel I am on the inside. It's strange the way that can be so off. I am sure you will see your change by the end of this...just hang in there