Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #196  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All...
A little late in the day... I went to do an in-store demo gig, and they didn't need me, so I came home. It's fine; it got me into the shower!

Nancy, I like the outfit with the plain top. The one with the animal print is a little too "busy"... but don't give up on your quest. And you do NOT look like a clown! I'll bet our Zoe could give you good pointers. My idea of dressing up is clean fleece, so I'm no help whatsoever!

I don't quite know how to feel about you and your SO thinking I hate him. I don't hate him... but I WOULD like to plant my foot someplace! And I'd REALLY like to smack his DD, who is just plain RUDE. I think I mostly feel protective of you and don't like that they so gleefully hurt your feelings.

No, no snow here. We did get some nice rain, though, which was delightful! And did I mention that I have some baby strawberries? I'm so excited!! This is my first successful gardening endeavor EVER!

KarenFL, hope your face feels better soon!

KarenMO, looks like your Carthage re-enactment was great fun! I think I'd like your little town a lot! I YEARN for a small town (yea, YEARN!)...

Oh! I forgot to mention that I found a site that lists historical fiction sagas... http://www.1mpages.com/HistoricalFiction.html. I've really enjoyed the Wilderness series. I read the Cave of the Clan Bear series, years ago, and I just ordered The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy, a depiction of ranch life on the New Mexico-Mexico border in the 1940s and early 1950s.

Nothing to report! All is stable and okay here. Hope you had a good weekend!

Last edited by jess1; 05-15-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #197  

Height: 5'3"

Nancy - after seeing your gaucho pants (LOL I'll call them that whether they are or not!) they look more brown than black. Might just be the picture, but anyway I like the second one best. I like the beige? top with the pants if they are as brown as they look in the picture. White or black would work too. If you want to be a little different you could also experiment with other colors..maybe pink, green or yellow? You'd just have to try and see. I say this because I have a black and white skirt and now and then I wear a fushia silk top with it and it looks great!! Then I often add a black jacket. If I had a yellow top I'd wear it with this skirt...it's a kinda of dressing skirt (like for church) so I like a silky top with it. Just to give you ideas.

I agree that the 1st one is a little too busy. I really like the hat though and it looks great both with the outfit and on you! You look good in hats, not so sure I do, but I'd like to wear them.

I'm also posting again because I am so proud of myself. We went to Ruby Tuesdays for lunch and I used more discretion than usual at a restaurant. We had a coupon and couldn't use it for salads but I got the Cajun Catch (tilapia), a baked potato with the toppings on the side (I used only a little) and broccoli. I ate only 1/2 of all this. Besides the entree, I had one cheese biscuit (wish I hadn't ..not that great...I prefer Red Lobster's) and then we shared one little Red Velvet Cupcake. About died when I saw how many calories and carbs were in it but still I only had 1/2 so not too bad. Got about 3 small bites! LOL The whole meal came to 528 calories...more than I would eat at home for lunch but for a restaurant not too bad. We had a 2fer coupon plus we both brought home 1/2 so we have another meal! What a deal!!
Oh and I drank a diet Pepsi. Since I do not have them at home it's a treat for me. I left feeling only slightly full, I'll admit I'd like to have eaten a little more, but I was glad I didn't feel stuffed and I feel better about myself knowing I used some discretion.

Last edited by maryea; 05-15-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I went to a baby shower today. I HATE weddings and showers! The restaurant was 2 hours north of me & the room was freezing - AC was on. I finally had to go get my raincoat and wear it because I was shivering.

I was amazed at the quantity of things she received and at the things I had never heard of. Not having any grandchildren, and not being around babies, I had never heard of "pacifier wipes," "bath tub thermometers," 6 different types of baby holders. There were about 30 women at the shower & she must have received at least 150 outfits + every type of bib, toy, bedding, furniture... that exists - many items she got doubles and some triples.

I REALLY like this girl. She is VERY nice. But the amount of things she received was almost too much.

Have a nice evening,

Lynn
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #199  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Yippee ~ day off tomorrow. Got appointment (for hearing test) and errands to run. In the evening ~ DGS Corbin has an orchestra concert ~ a full day.

Nancy ~ posting those pictures should help get you some suggestions. I like the second outfit best (the one with the plain colored top). I like how you wear hats ~ I like hats, but then don’t feel brave enough to wear them. Maybe some kind of beads or jewelry or a scarf to accessorize with the top and add a little color???? Just a thought. I’m feeling kind of the same way as Donna ~ about feeling badly when your SO says unkind things to you. You are so sweet and I just want for him to be nice to you. The thought that came to my mind (please forgive me) was that maybe the Golden Girls Whacking Brigade needs to line up again ~ to deliver him some whacks upside the head.

Yes ~ that is Maddie in my avatar pic ~ she is holding a box of Arizona Tea Stix ~ she was wanting me to hurry up and drink my bottle of tea so she could make me another one.

Well, running out of steam ~ gotta head off to bed soon. Will have to do more personals another visit.

Rest well all
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
I REALLY appreciate all your suggestions, & I’m glad you’re not saying to get rid of the culottes/gaucho pants/skort. I really like them/it.

Rosey, I’m just thrilled that you’re coming along so good with your walking (not so sure it was a good idea trying it while you were home alone, but at least you took precautions!). And, I love that you, like me, are ready to try a new way of dressing - I feel like we’re both “coming out of our shells”. Can’t wait to see pics of you in that new jeans outfit you’ve ordered!

Donna, I’m so glad you don’t actually HATE my SO. Thanks for being so protective - I think I mentioned, in my previous post, something about family being like that, & we do all seem like family here! And, I agree that SO’s DD can be downright rude! I’m somewhat used to insensitive comments from her & her father by now, so usually they don’t bother me.

Mary, the pants are black & white, & the blouse in the 2nd pic is beige (my camera just doesn’t get colors right!). I like your idea of wearing a different colored blouse, & do plan to try that (along with some of the other suggestions - KarenFL, I also like the tank & white jacket idea). I’ll just keep on experimenting until I hit on something I like. And then, of course, I’ll check it out with all of you! Thanks for the compliment on the hat. I’ve just recently been brave enough to wear them. I like them because they cover up my thinning hair! Oh, & good for you, on that lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. You sure showed a lot of restraint, only eating half of everything!

Lynn, sorry you had to suffer through that baby shower. I don’t like them either, & avoid them if at all possible. And, I hadn’t heard of those things & I’ve been around babies - my nieces’ & nephews’ & their SOs’.

Hi! Gayle, just saw your post. Funny you said you're not brave enough to wear hats, after what I just said to Mary! And, I was thinking the same thing about the top needing beads or jewelry (can't do scarves, they never hang right for me)! Thanks for your kind words, & for wanting to line up the GGs Whacking Brigade for my SO, but he really is getting better. It's his DD I'd like to see whacked - should have been done a long time ago, but I guess it's too late now! Actually, believe it or not, she's also a lot nicer than she used to be! Your little Maddie seems like such a sweetie, it's nice that you get to spend time with her.

Since y’all are being so helpful about what to wear with my culottes/whatever-they-are, here’s a pic of a skirt I bought, that I also need a blouse for. I’m thinking peasant blouse????? Oh, & the hat is red with a purple band - I bought it in case I ever find a Red Hat Club to join (don’t really plan to wear it with this skirt).
NCNancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink skirt.jpg (18.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #201  

good Morning girls,

Went to the kids football games yesterday, in the pouring rain! Never been wetter except in the shower! By the time I got home even my undies were wet! Kenzie played first and after her game I took her to the car and changed her clothes. Oh, and it was freezing on top of the rain. But it was a good day. Those days you really do never forget. Got home and of course had to do laundry, everything got wet. All our clothes and coats and blankets. At least I got the laundry done yesterday so i'm free today.

Nancy, The coulots are great, but a nice silky top in black or white would look good. Or how about a white top and one of those drapey sweaters? And you really need some funky jewelry. I am seeing a lot of big bold silver jewelry now. I like the red skirt too. I have a white skirt like that that I wear with different color t's and a big chunky belt that sort of hangs a little lower. and lots of silver bangle which I have collected over the years. I like the hats too. They look good on you. maybe you could buy a plain one that you could "fancy" up with different trim? It's easy to find embelishments at the stores now.

Karen, I hope you feel better soon. I know it's a bother right now, but it's temporary and worth the agervation. Hang in there girl. It won't last long and you'll be back at bridge kicking butt.

Gayle, Mattie is a cutie. Enjoy your day off.

Lynn, I am amazed at the things they have for babies too. Sure didn't have this stuff when ours were born. Some of it's nice and some is just silly. I hope the girl that had the shower was able to take some of the things back and get bigger sizes or store credit to use later when the baby gets bigger. I'm afraid my baby shower gift is usually a case of diapers. Not fancy but no one has ever had to return them and they are always used! And duplicates are always appreciated!

Mary, Good for you for controling the restaurant trip. That is what I do too. I try to go online and find out the menu and decide what I want to have before I go. And then I don't look at a menu and end up changing my mind because something looks good. Too many restaurant meals contain enought calories for a full days worth instead of one meal. And 500 is good for a dinner.

Donna, I read Clan Of the Cave Bear too, years ago. Liked the series but the first one was the best. Yeah on the strawberries. Nothing like picking fresh, ripe strawberries. So good and they taste like strawberries are supposed to.

Rosie, be careful, but continue to practice walking in the house. Using the walker would be safer when you're alone, and the more you walk the stronger your legs will get and your balance will get better. Walk as much as you can, several times a day. Soon you will be out and about and doing so many new things! I look forward to hearing about your victories.

Make it a good day,

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 05-16-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #202  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

A quick scan of post to see who's doing what and I'm outta ere'. Sorry...when the sun shines, I've got lots of outdoor work to do.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning!! Getting ready to get the car loaded and heading to Branson. A very pretty day here today. I thought that I would post the link to my facebook page if anyone is interested in going there. Just let me know who you are so I can accept you. It is: www.facebook.com/KarenSwaine

I will try to check in later on while we are gone but if now don't worry about me-- just having a good time and I'll check in Wednesday night when we get home!!

Have A GREAT week everyone!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #204  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola!
Just checking in..... people to see, places to go, things to do. I guess that means I have to shower...

Nancy, the brown doesn't go as well with the red (my favorite of the two). I agree that a silky white would be very pretty! I like the skirt/skort/culotte/whatever! It's good that you're willing to experiment!

Have a good one, Everyone.... back later.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #205  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning everyone

A nice sunshiny day here today ~ love that.

Off and running here soon.

Having fun for a minute ~ putting a picture on here of my garden decorations. There was a spot in the flower bed where a plant had died and left an empty spot ~ it "needed" something. I found these at the Hobby Lobby. I was lucky to hit a sale ~ 50% off. Sorry it is a little bit fuzzy. I took it with my phone and I have trouble holding still enough. My DH texted me a picture the other day that Maddie took of him with his phone. I joked that maybe I would have to have Maddie teach me
I like my phone and how I can take picutres, e-mail them to myself, then save to my computer and use here or wherever. Fun and easy.

Hope you all are having a wonderful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden decorations 2.jpg (47.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #206  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Good evening, my dear Golden sis's....and welcome back, Phyl! You are looking marvelous!
Well, my nephew passed on last night at 10:30. A blessing, really. Not that the brain tumor was a blessing, of course..none of that, but that this last bit is finally over is a good thing. He's been unresponsive for weeks, and they removed his feeding tubes and all fluids a week ago because his body wasn't digesting anything. He went peacefully - alseep; everything just shut down at the end. So, we'll be heading down there for the funeral on Thursday - flying out Wednesday - and home Saturday morning. My poor sister is emotionally and physically exhausted, and I've promised her that when I retire - in January - I will go down and spend a month with her. We just need some "just sister" time.
Alright, now, Nancy. The pants are smashing, and I like the hat, but neither top does you justice. Yes, clearly you are used to disguising your figure behind loose things that give you no shape at all. Well, girlfriend, you now have one (a shape, that is) and it's time to show it off! You said those pants are black & white? Not black & tan? (That's how they look in the picture.) Well, anyway, what you need is a top in black that hits a little further down your hips than the beige top does. The beige is definitely better than the print, but it cuts you off right across the middle, which doesn't show your new shape to best effect. Definitely a black tank sort of top is needed! Something with a scoop neck, and more form-fitting.... and I would go for a strappier sandal - maybe even just a black flippy-flop sort of thing. The style that I love most is called "lagenlook", and it's about layering. You can google it and find some examples. Plus Ebay is a good source. Lagenlook can get pretty pricey, but on the other hand, can be put together from a variety of sources - it's more a "look" than any particular designer or label. Big, wide-legged pants with little tops or little jackets over longer tunics. Anyway, you can check it out and see what you think. BUT your pants are a great find, and with the right, longer top in black, you'll be a knock-out. Clown my, um...ashcan! That girl needs a whack. Don't make me come down there....OH - with the red skirt? See if you can't find yourself a little tropical-print top with red in it; maybe a short-sleeved "camp style" shirt? Wear it unbuttoned over a tank top that picks up one of the contrasting colors in the shirt - purple, maybe even a teal blue or some such? Do you ever do any sewing? If it were me, I'd buy some tropical-printed fabric and make myself a sleeveless shell and forget the overshirt. Easy-peasy. OR, if you can find the tropical shirt AND a wide red belt - probably in a stretchy fabric - forget the tank and just wear the shirt out over the skirt with the wide red belt AND some chunky red & silver beads around your neck! A definite YES to chunky jewelry!
Lynn, the stuff they have for babies these days hinges on craziness. Half the stuff they get at showers never even gets used. And a bazillion outfits, unless they range in size from newborn up to 18 months, definitely don't get used, because for the first few months, the babies are mostly at home in little stretchy jumpersuits. By the time they're ready to be out and about visiting, they've outgrown all those cute little outfits.
Good job with the restraint used at Ruby Tuesdays, Mary! See, you're learning make better choices for yourself! Now, once we all learn to do that consistently, we can rename ourselves "the slim chicks". Glad too, to hear that your dh is okay. They DO like to scare us now and again...
Hah, PT...yup, you and I think alike when it comes to men showing the proper respect. Mine knows full well that he'd get shown the door right quick if he tried talking down at me. As for your SO, Nancy....I'm sure that you & he have your relationship worked out to your liking, but that daughter of his? No, ma'am. As I said above, the clown comment was over the top. THIS clown would smack that smart mouth of hers! (Actually, the one who OUGHT to muzzle that smart mouth of hers is your SO!)
Karen, nice pics, and as you know, my dh is now an "historical interpretor" at Old Sturbridge Village. They have a Revolutionary War re-enactment one weekend every summer that we typically go to. There's a Civil War re-enactment in West Boylston, MA every year, too, and that's interesting as well. I love history of course, but am actually very happy that I live in the present, as the conditions back then - even on the home front, never mind on the battlefield - were a tad more primitive than I'd want to live with. What, no air conditioning, central heat, TV, computers, cell phones...? Oh, MY.
Freda? Haven't you been sick? Good grief...out sitting at a game in a cold rain? Whatever are those coaches thinking? My dgd's soccer coach always waits until the last minute to call a game due to weather...and I'm usually mumbling and grumbling about how the kids shouldn't be out on the field in a rainstorm. Naturally, they have scheduling issues, and with the persistently rotten weather, I don't guess they'd ever play if they had to wait for a sunny day. I'm glad, incidentally, that you're finally seeing some sun (even if it's not on game days) - we get it in dribs and drabs: mostly sunny mornings, it seems, with clouds coming in and showers every afternoon. Predictions for the whole summer this year aren't optimistic, either. I can't stand it.
I LOVE your new picture, Gayle....you look so young in it! Losing weight definitely helps shed a few years as well, doesn't it? Keep up the good work, chickie...it's really showing.
Well, Rosey, I'm happy as can be about your amazing progress, and thrilled about the new fashion choices...but don't be getting all acrobatic when you're home alone, you hear? I know you must be anxious to go as fast as you can, but I'm sure all the nurses here will tell you to take all the time you need for a safe transition back to independent mobility...plus we won't worry so much if you promise to be careful!
Karen3 - Gotta love that lime green! It's one of my favorite summer colors! Oh, and I am SO with you on the knits VS ironing!!!! And with summer cottons and such, like the ones I'm currently in the process of unpacking - I just throw a few pieces into the dryer with a wet towel and a fabric softener sheet for 10 minutes or so, pull it out, shake it out and hang immediately, and voila!! No ironing required except maybe a touch-up on a collar or some such just before wearing.
Hmmm. <looking around> Who did I miss? Lyn? You'd better get back here, lady! Oh, Bobbi....if there's sunshine outside, I know YOU are, too! Rie, I hope you're knocking 'em dead at the pool table!
And I'm back to clothes sorting, meatloaf-making, and bath & hair washing. Gray day outside. Need to pack a few things for Wednesday's flight out, too.
BBL,

Z
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #207  

Morning everyone..zoe im so sry for your loss,how sad for u all hes in a better place now. Ok i agree it was adumb move on my part to try something diff while i was alone.thanks for the concern and i promise not to do it again its fun to talk about clothes i love everyones ideas. i cant remember the last time i wore a dress or skirt. but its coming. ive been looking at a tired denim skirt,long and swingy to go with the jacket. I lost 2# this week slow but steady.Karen 3 you must be hopping mad that Rob won on survivor sry gf but i liked him. seems all my fav shows are ending the season dh should be on his way home today and that makes me happy.i need to get something cooking as he's always starving when he gets home. have an awsome day. rosey
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Zoe,

My best wishes are with you and your family. I am sorry for your loss.

Lynn
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #209  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi Everyone - Just a quick flyby. Zoe I'm so sorry about your nephews passing but I agree that he is in a better place - free & happy. Hugs "hug" "hug" to you & your sister & family. Yeah, Rosey, use the walker at home when you are alone. But so glad that you are getting more mobile! And big yahoo for the 2lbs gone too! Mary - Great NSV for you! I like the idea of the "golden Girls Whacking Brigade! Sometimes that is so needed for people that can't or won't control their big fat mouths! Its cool & rainy here today after such a nice weekend.....Well, I'm glad that Boston Rob won Survivor - he really played the game. And Apprentice finale next week. That's a hard one - I like both of the finalists. I do follow American politics a bit. Anyway I'm off to buy annuals as it is close to time that I can actually plant them. Everyone have a wonderful day, eh?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #210  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

The American politics "bit" I was thinking about Donald Trump finally saying he isn't going to run for President . Erased that statement but forgot the "politics" one...........duh!
Closed Thread