Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiesd View Post
Lynn: I know that you said before that you ate 50% fat..... That just seems really high to me, I don't know how you eat anything else much. I figured out what mine was....it was 32 grams.....or 288 calories out of 1180 for the day, and my math wiz tells me that is 24% fat. Very little of that is animal fat.... Since I don't eat bread, I haven't reason to include anykind of margines, or butters (molley McButter on veggies). Anyway, I got some vitamins that my sister decided was great stuff.....(darn...they are HORSE pills... I just hope the digestive track can break them down!!) Anyway, you have done incredibly well....my hats off to you!
Margaret
Hi Margaret,

Here's Friday's menu -

Vitamins include fish oil w 2.5 g fat

Breakfast - Protein bar
Snack - cheese stick & sesame cracker
Lunch - tuna + mayo + salad + dressing
Dinner - chicken + olive oil + tomatoes + string beans + sweet potato + Smart Balance margarine
Snacks - sf pudding + 1/4 cup ricotta cheese

46% fat; 26% protein; 28% carbs

NOTE: the mayo is with Canola oil & the cheese stick and ricotta are part skim & the peanutbutter is sf & the cottage cheese is 1%

My dietitian has convinced me that the reason I'm never hungry is because of increasing the amount of fat in my diet. I really think she's right. For the first time in my life, I sometimes forget to eat a meal.

She wants me to eat at least 2 Tbsps of olive oil (cold pressed extra virgin) a day.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #47  

Good Morning Everyone,

NYC was GREAT! Drive was the pits! (40 min from my house to my Little Sister's + 2 hours from her house to NYC x2).

Dancers in Chicago were unbelievable. Actors from The Sopranos (Aida Turturro and Vincent Pastore) played Matron "Mama" Morton and Roxie's husband Amos Hart. They were actually pretty good. I was amazed at Turturro's voice - VERY good.

We parked in NJ and took the ferry over to the city. Went to the Hard Rock Cafe on Broadway for lunch - Luz LOVED that.

Transportation connections - ferry & buses to and from the ferry - were fantastic. All-in-all we had a REALLY nice day.

This morning I woke up too tired to exercise. Think I'll take the day off.

My dd & s-i-l are supposed to drop their cat off - they're supposed to leave for FL today. Then, this evening, I'm going to dinner with a neighbor.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #48  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Morning, all…well, a hugely busy day yesterday, and not a lot of obvious progress, I'm afraid. We made an early morning (okay, well, not that early - 9:30; it just felt too good to sleep in) run to Home Depot for stuff that will allow us to progress a little faster around here. DH needed a steel pipe to install in place of the closet pole that was in the Master Bedroom closet - it's a long closet - 80-something inches - and if we hung clothes the full length of the existing pole, it would have bowed down onto the floor. Also some blinds for the bedroom windows, some of that vinyl-coated closet shelving for the spare bedroom closet - and various and sundry other odds and ends, all of which will make it possible for us to unpack and put away more boxes of drek. Where did all this stuff come from, anyway? NOW it's starting to annoy me, I gotta tell you.
Okay, Deb/Houston. Re: your menopausal issues/allergies. I haven't experienced a lot of what you describe, but I HAVE developed some allergies - ie.; to eggs - that I certainly never, ever had before. Breakfast used to be my all-time favorite meal! Scrambled eggs with sausage bits, onions, peppers, cheese - bacon on the side, muffins - bring it ON! (Of course that was back when I could eat like a freaking truck driver and not gain an ounce. Now it's caught up with me. Menopause definitely DOES slow your metabolism down to practically standing still.) Anyway, about three years ago, I ate an omelet, got deathly sick , and haven't been able to touch an egg since. Luckily, I can have things MADE with eggs in them, as long as it's only a minor ingredient. I can't say whether or not I'd have trouble with some of the medications you mentioned, because of course I haven't had a need for anything like that. Well, calcium, sure - but I take it pretty rarely. The only medicine I take regularly is blood pressure medication, and to be honest, I'm on the verge of stopping that, because having lost some weight - and I quit smoking exactly ONE YEAR AGO TODAY (Yay, me!!!!) and some increase in exercise, it's now running on the low side. But, it may be that you could be helped by a homeopathic practitioner. I've have friends who have had a terrible time with menopause, took hormone replacement medication, needed anti-depressants, had one problem after another, and ultimately, the only thing that helped was seeing a doctor who worked with homeopathic therapy, and completely changing the way they were eating. One had developed an allergy to wheat products that she knew nothing about, and once she learned how to make satisfactory substitutions to her diet - plus the right combination of natural supplements, she felt reborn. Might be worth a try - or one visit to see what you think, at least.
Lynn, I'm actually not at all surprised with your fat intake, seeing as how it's carbs that you're limiting in your diet. I may have mentioned that after my son was born (Could it POSSIBLY have been 26 years ago?) I was on the Atkins plan for more than seven years. I was able to maintain my ideal weight while eating an unbelievable amount of primarily meat, poultry, eggs, cheese and a few salad greens every day. The thing is that my calories were extremely high. I've always been pretty much of the opinion, Moxie, that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. All of these percentages that they (*they* meaning the medical profession and diet gurus in general) are highly debatable, simply because you can't generalize everybody into the same mold. I know I couldn't do the low carb thing anymore - I've become too enamored of fruits and vegetables, and a little turned off to red meat over the past year or so - but I know for a fact that when I DID do it, I had my cholesterol checked regularly, and my doctor ended up shaking his head and telling me to go ahead out and eat a whole pig at one sitting if I felt like it. I forget, too, Lynn, that you're six inches shorter than me…so maybe you can get by with fewer calories? Does that make any sense? You've lost a LOT, though, Moxie….I thought you said you were coming back heavier than ever? Hmmmm. Well, congrats, at any rate.
Karen, trust me. Don't overworry yourself about the extra pounds. Once you start moving, you'll be lucky if you remember to eat at all. Here's hoping for a 2008 that brings us everything we're needing it to bring, eh?
Jo-annie, I looked up those Zipline tours? Omigawd. Nah. Me? I'll be sitting on the terrace sipping a mint julep. Guess I'm just not the adventurous type, eh?
And speaking of mint juleps, Hiya Cat…more recipes, I see. Time to write a book, m'dear. You have oodles of material and plenty of talent. Have at it, Lady!
Okay, gotta go unpack some more. Hugs on the fly to Phyl, Lyn, MaryLynn, Gayle, Meowee-Linda, LindaD (Where art thou?), Freda, Rosey, Deb/FL…and all the GOLDEN GIRLIES wherever you may be!

Z
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #49  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

Life is a bit chaotic right now. Hopefully I'll be back to my normal dull and boring existence really soon and will have more time for cruising and posting on 3FC.

Have a great day and I'll be looking forward to seeing you all again really soon . . .
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #50  

Good Morning Everyone,

I begin teaching my course tomorrow (I actually started posting stuff for the students yesterday). So, I'll probably get kind of scarce for the next couple of weeks.

I'm thinking about getting some kind of exercise machine - a treadmill/eliptical? - that I can use in my living room in the evening while I'm watching tv. I just want to increase my exercise (muscle mass). Any advice? I do around 30-50 min most days at the gym. I want to add 30-50 minutes.

Lynn
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #51  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Just a quickie check in here. Wanted to congratulate those who were actually able to lose over the holidays...Marilyn and Rosey if I remember correctly. You are inspiring us all here on the GG site. Welcome to our newest members - keep posting. I'm going from memory here. Zoe, glad you're settling in ok. Yes I want to see pictures too! Lynn - oh "Chicago" sounded wonderful...glad you had a good time with your sister. Lynn from Canada - gladd you made it home safely and the cats all survived. Cat - just wanted to let you know that I haqve been using your method for cookiing brown rice successfully in the oven and my DH raves about the rice done that way. Thanks for all your cooking advice.

I'm at work doing noise testing today. Had to start at 6 am when the mechanics start here so have been up for hours. Well time to get back to it...will chck in later.

Lyn
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #52  

Good Morning Lovely Ladies, I get so behind when I work the weekends. I can't even began to address everyone individually, but Hi too all of you!

I lost another pound!!! This is the first time I've ever been on a diet and not been able to exercise so I am quite surprised that I'm losing at all. Maybe I won't have to resort to ALLI. I was just keeping it in mind "just in case". I talked to a Dr. at work and he said the same thing most of you ladies have said. It's mostly "digestive" issues that are problems. Too much fat and you end up being very sorry. And it says it makes you lose double what you would lose without it. If you don't lose anything, double nothing is still nothing. Sorry, no miracle drugs out there that make you just drop the pounds.

I had a terrible time with menopause, mostly hot flashes that kept me up all night changing bed linen and sometimes even taking a shower I was so wet. Besides the metabolism of a flea, nothing else much too complain about.

Zoe, don't worry about all the boxes, just go through them one at a time! You'll still get there. Is it almost spring??? I'm getting the "urge to purge" and have started going through things too. boxes in the basement, "things" I have been saving for God knows what. Seems i just want all the clutter gone.

Lots to do today. DH seems to spend the weekends that I don't work thinking up things I need to do. I think I need to spend my weekdays making a list of things for him to do on the weekend so he won't become bored.

have a good day, Freda
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Lynn, I bought an elliptical through the craigslist for $20. The display doesn't work and the resistance can't be changed but where the resistance is right now I wouldn't want to change it for quite awhile anyway. BUT then I found a Gazelle Power Plus on craigslist too and bought it for $75 and I really like it better and also have it in my living room where I can watch TV--it is really quiet. So I have the elliptical advertised on craigslist. Just thought that I would let you know. I know Linda (meowee) loves her Gazelle too.

I just popped in here quickly to read the posts this morning but need to get busy and get some housework done. I'll be back later to chat.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 269/255/200

Height: 5/6

Hello everyone .We took a few day's down in jupiter sat on the beach and just relaxed much needed. I will go to get weight tonight soooooooooo will see. I will also be going to the ymca tommorow to join .Lynn I like living in Fl but I do miss the dinners lol and I miss the boardwalk down the shore. We sold our home here so I am not sure if I will come back or where WILL GO .My hubby will retire next yr. Zoe it will all get done just takes time to find places to put stuff. I got a ton of boxs in our rental I hate to move again and pack and unpack .Debbie (h) I never had a problem I was very lucky and most of my friends just had hot flashes.well everyone enjoy the day.

Last edited by BAILYBOO; 01-07-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #55  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone -- another new week in the land of the GOLDEN GIRLS. Glad to see everyone is doing well sorry no time for personals and probably not until I get back. I struggled through the weekend and I realized (in discussion with someone else) my problem is that I need to be accountable for my calories. I hate being a slave to my computer so I decided to check out a handheld Calorie counting device. You can either get the software for your own PDA or there are a few out there. I made the decision to spend the $79 and have it shipped to my home -- hopefully it will arrive before I leave if not it will be there waiting for my renewal day of Jan 21 (get real about eating and exercise).

Debbie -- honestly I have never heard of that problem with menopause -- I just want to go through the darn thing. I thought I might have started but I am guessing I am only in peri because now its back and regular every 3 weeks (where is the justice???).

Zoe -- I will do something like the zipline once in my life -- I have to for me I need my YEE HAWWW moment. For now I have booked us on the America 11 for a whale watching outing. It was the yacht that challenged the Stars and Stripes back in 1987 for the America's cup. My late husband would be thrilled to do this trip and I feel like I am doing it for him. Besides being out on a 65' sailing yacht in Maui sounds rather nice if I say so myself. Doubt if we will get any performance sailing that usually only happens in the afternoon and the whale watching leaves at 8:30 in the morning.

Catch you all later
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #56  

Good Morning,

Would you believe it's going up to 70 degrees today? My df and I are taking advantage of this & heading for the canal to walk.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #57  

Good Morning GG's, The weather was quite balmy here yesterday. Warm enough for a very light jacket. I wish it would continue for awhile, but I know we have colder days ahead. And we haven't had the dreaded ice storm that we get every year. Still, I will enjoy it while it's here.

I love this group for so many reasons. I have been reading some of the others and I am so happy that i stumbled (or was guided) to this one. They just don't seem happy or terribly supportive.

Lyn, we must have been posting at the same time. We're all back to work as usual, huh? I can't say i'm terribly sorry. I guess I must be getting old, I just like structure in my life. Wait....no, it's not getting old, I have always been that way.

Cat, Lyn mentioned you posted a recipe for cooking brown rice in the oven that was fail proof. Would one of you post it again? I only make brown rice anymore (like it better anyway) and make a large batch when i do cook it, and keep it in the fridge.

Lynn, the only exercise equipment i've used with any consistancy is the treadmill. But a lot of people seem to like the gazelle too. Both are a big investment and needs to be something you will use. decisions, decisions...

Debbie, so how did the weight in go?

Joanne, have a safe and fun trip! Take lots of pictures!

everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #58  
Lifetime Loser

Good Morning

Not much news from sunny Florida where it will be in the high 70's today....beautiful. This I will miss when I move to Ohio.

Been a bit under the weather this past week so I have dropped out of the challenge until next month. I'm going to try to get a walk in this a.m. with my dh.

Guess I will go back to counting point and watching the carbs, I realized during the holidays that the carbs do make me have more cravings.

Hi to everyone....Phyllis
Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #59  
Debbie

S/C/G: 296/218/160

Height: 5'3"

Good morning, everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Zoe - thanks for the info. You're the only one I've run across who had any digestive problems with specific food after menopause. Can you take the flu shot?? The older I get, the more my dr is concerned about this, and he may insist on it, but would put me on Zofran and a nausea patch beforehand. There is a nasal delivery method, but my insurance won't cover it, and it's very expensive.

Phyllis - did you ever say why y'all were leaving sunny Florida for the frozen tundra?? It must be very hard to move away from your son. I couldn't do it. When my SIL asked to marry our daughter, I told him he couldn't move her away from me. He asked how far was too far - I told him north Houston cause we're on the south side!! They live 2 blocks away, and that's just fine with me!!

Gayle - how'd the oatmeal turn out??

Lynn - you know, I really think it is calories in/calories out, but that your own chemistry determines what plan works best for you. I couldn't exist without WW, but I have a friend who couldn't lose a lb on it but does extremely well on the plan you're on as long as she watches the calorie intake.

Here's to a successful and disciplined week

Last edited by Craftyone; 01-08-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 269/255/200

Height: 5/6

Good Morning, Freda I lost 1/2 POUND I'll TAKE IT LOL .I'm going over to the gym this afternoon to join I gotta work out or It's just to hard to lose weight for me . To be quite honest Last yr I went to the gym and was doing spin classes I loved it THEM I HURT MY BACK and I stopped.Now I didn't want to go back But I am joining today for sure.Phyllis I think that would be the hard part for me also the weather is so nice down here in the winter.I don't know where will go .We were thinKing N.G will see. Lynn, I used to enjoy walking the canal when we were up that way then we go eat a Mother's Well all that post after me hi .Enjoy the day everyone BE GOOD TO YOU TODAY dEBBIE
Closed Thread