Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #106  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Rat – Balance? Hahahaha… actually, this is one of the areas I really need to work on in my life in general. I know that partly what did me in before was that I was so focused on weight loss that I ended up getting burnt out, rather than having it be a natural part of my life that integrated with everything else I was doing. Yay for healthy body parts!

Annie – You are looking fantastic! Sorry to hear about the heart trouble.

Sharon – I may have a job, but I don’t have little people demanding my time 24/7. How are your boys doing?

Lynn – When you do heavy weight resistance training, what is actually happening is that you are micro-tearing your muscles and what makes them stronger is the fact that your body has to go in and repair those micro tears. That is why people are generally advised not to work the same muscle groups heavily two days in a row, so that those tears have a better chance to heal and build new muscle tissue. So it depends how hard you worked your muscles yesterday, but it is true that you can overtrain.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #107  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
Rat – Balance? Hahahaha… actually, this is one of the areas I really need to work on in my life in general. I know that partly what did me in before was that I was so focused on weight loss that I ended up getting burnt out, rather than having it be a natural part of my life that integrated with everything else I was doing. Yay for healthy body parts!

Annie – You are looking fantastic! Sorry to hear about the heart trouble.

Sharon – I may have a job, but I don’t have little people demanding my time 24/7. How are your boys doing?

Lynn – When you do heavy weight resistance training, what is actually happening is that you are micro-tearing your muscles and what makes them stronger is the fact that your body has to go in and repair those micro tears. That is why people are generally advised not to work the same muscle groups heavily two days in a row, so that those tears have a better chance to heal and build new muscle tissue. So it depends how hard you worked your muscles yesterday, but it is true that you can overtrain.
thanks for the information.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Also, if you're looking to build muscle, it helps to eat to build it. That means eating more protein. I was specifically told to eat a high protein snack within 45 minutes of lifting. That's not to say that all the work goes for naught if you don't, but women don't build muscle easily, and it's as much about the kitchen as it is about the gym.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #109  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I just realized I didn’t say anything about myself.

Last night was game night and while I did manage to forget to bring a snack to share (I bought hummus and celery but left it at home in the morning, oops), I didn’t eat any of the candy someone else brought. I have started picking up a salad from Chipotle on my way so that I make sure and have a good dinner. They often order pizza or have other not so great food choices there. It is hard not eating what everyone else is, but I just have to get used to that again.

I didn’t make it to the gym yesterday, but hopefully I can be done with work in time tonight to get there.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #110  

Hiya my Peeps!

Sharon, the way bicycles are built, they can ALL handle >500 lbs. I would say you'd get a bit of flex in the triangle on the cheapest Walmart/Kmart/Big Box stores at that weight, but there's no way on this green earth that a heavy person can break a bicycle (skinny tires, fat tires, etc). With that being said, keep the tires inflated to suggested poundage that's written on the sidewalls. Just because you both have the same inseam, doesn't mean you'll fit a bicycle the same. While most bicycles are now unisex, the top tube (one parallel to the ground) is sometimes too long for a woman's upper body and the way to deal with that is to shorten the stem (that's where the handlebars are attached) so you are not over-reaching to grasp the handlebars. Your legs will be a longer stretch with the same inseam as a man's. You might need a taller bike overall (maybe by a cm). Oh, and mammograms are NOT supposed to hurt. I'm am fairly well-endowed and have never been bruised or pinched. At age 46, you probably need to go in for a baseline fairly soon (don't know UK rules on that). Good luck on the potential bicycle purchase!!! You know, there's lots of great used bicycles out there too. Just keep an eye out once you know sorta what size to look for. Have a great weekend with the 'rents!

Lynnie, sorry your feelings are matching the weather. I hope some of the time you have can restore the sanity your BIL has stolen. hehe.

Nancy and Heather, good information on muscle building. I made it to 120g of protein yesterday. w00t!

TOM is here and I am my usual miserable self for the day. Bleh. LOL. Got my iron infusion. Ferritin is still stay around 30. It really needs to go higher.

Hugs to all,
Ratkity
Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good Morning all,

Carol: I love seeing your beautiful face first thing in the a.m. I miss you girl. Glad to see you.

Rat: Tee HEE! You crack me up.

Lynnie: I hope that you have a super good day despite all of the depression and oppression that you are feeling right now. Hugs to you and hopefully you will be in a different living situation sooner rather than later.

Sharon: You do cheer me up even if we are miles and miles apart physically, the internet brings us right to each other's virtual hugs. I wish I could walk and exercise. The sun is out today here finally looking like Spring. I am seriously considering trying to take my critters for a walk. I don't want to have chest pains and be far from home with them but I do want to get my body moving again. I hate being still. I think if you think slimming world will give you a kick start you should do it! Have a good time at your parent's house.

Nancy: Hi there

Heather: Hi there

Well, I finally had another bit of good movement on the scale. I am down a pound and a half so I'm really hoping to be under 240 by Friday so I can buy my prize. tee hee. Not just for the prize but also of coarse to get closer to where I was before.

Last night in weight loss surgery support group we were talking about what kinds of things help us to stay on track. I wanted to share what everyone said as I took notes. I hope you don't mind. Even though it was for weight loss surgery patients I think it applies to all of us weather surgical or not.

Here is the list: When you have head hunger and not true body hunger one person reads a book called "Anatomy of a Food Addict" she said it helps her to realize what her body is doing.

About 5 people said they journal every single thing tht goes into their mouths good and bad. I was one of those.

Drinking water to keep hydrated was a huge one for almost everyone in the group.

13 out of the 18 people there said going to group and having support from others helps them to stay on track. I was also one of those.

Reading about Nutrition and How to maintain muscle and good bone density were some.

Being careful to observe feelings and allow yourself to have them was another.

Staying busy with your hands like crafting.

One lady said she just simply puts a fork in her mouth. No food on it just the fork and she immediately feels better. (I thought it was weird but... I remember when my stepmom was quitting smoking and she would have a cigerette, unlit, and just put it in her mouth for a bit after each meal and it helped her)

Staying up on vitamins so our bodies are healthy and not down.

Going on websites. I mentioned 3fc and someone else mentioned another one geared towards WLS patients. I don't care for that one nearly as this one. I think this is my home!

Paying it forward: meaning being at some type of support group even after you have reached your goal weight weather it is on here or oa or whatever and helping those who are just starting out to know they are not alone.

Concentrate on what you can have to eat instead of what you can't have. I said this for myself too. I think this attitude allows me to have candy and cookies and chips, ice cream. You name it it is all over my kitchen and I don't touch it. I think it is because I don't tell myself I can't have it. I tell myself I get to have....

Lastely there was one that was specific for wls patients called a "Reset" It is a new study that different Wls centers have done. It is to be on liquids only for 3-5 days then you go to soft foods for 3 days then to a bit more foods for the next 3 days. Supposedly it helps with wanting carbs. I did this myself and felt so great. It wasn't about the weight loss it was about feeling in control again. I think that I would even try this if I was not a wls patient and see if it worked.

Well, those are the things that helps the people in my group to stay focused and perhaps they may help some of you guys and myself.

Hugs and blessings,
Annie
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Sharon - a word from the experienced gallery - I once did a long distance ride (at 245 lbs, and 180km about 20 years ago) and I regretted not having a padded, wide end seat. whatever bike you get, get a high quality, gel cushioned seat. I won't get on any bicycle without mine!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #113  
Divine

Well i took a couple ativan like its prescribed to me and I laid down for a good hour and half. I didn't sleep I just laid there with my breathing machine on closed my eyes and relaxed. Then I got up to go to the bathroom and heard thunder so I got back in bed and sat there and listened to the storm. Absolutely postively relaxed with no TV on nobody complaining or sending negative vibes. My stomach is alittle queasy today so I am going to eat some chicken noodle soup and veg in bed for the rest of the night.

Lynn
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #114  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

Pookie pies,

It has been another fabulous day today and I have been enjoying every minute of it.

Real,
Pleased as punch to know no harm came to you and you are back home safe and sound.

Nancy,
you can do you, you are already off to a good start. I am here cheering you on, K!!!

Annie,
glad you felt better yesterday. I was so happy when I did not need nitro any longer. I had a heart attack a few years back, actually about 5 years ago. The ticker is doing well now, so now I spend my time praying for yours.

Rat,
Estatic that your BEWBIES and Annies's are fine!!!! Maybe I will actually go have one myself for I have not had one in 10 years I know.
BTW the gumbo was awesome. We are having a silent auction at work to raise monies for the Relay for Life and they want to make a pot of Gumbo for auction. Might be a good idea.

Sharon,
I will print it up and post it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!! Enjoy your time with your parents.

Good night my loves,
Parting is such sweet sorrow,
Ags
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

Hi all,

I feel like I am doing a little better. I have had decent sleep the last two nights, so I am hoping for 3. I appreciate your thoughts.

Food sucks, TOM is here. Must must must get things under control. I am going to try to check in more frequently. And must get exercise in.

That's it from me. A little self-centered, sorry about that.

Real
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Angie - sleep is wonderful! Please keep posting - you have no idea how happy I am all is well with you.

Annie - sweet sweet Annie - hugs to you.

Big wave to all!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #117  
Divine

Even though yesterday was an off day for me I feel much better today. I do have to say I missed blogging for the day but I think everyone needs a break from what they consider routine everyday.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #118  

Good morning my Peeps!

Real, keep posting. I'm glad you finally got a little sleep. *hugs*

Lynnie, yay for a reset! Sometimes, I just take a day for myself and don't answer the phone or do anything.

Ags, hrm, 10 yrs you say? I have no room to talk as it had been 7 yrs for me. Time sort of just slipped away.

Annie, thanks for sharing all the positive things that work. I also write everything down!

GGG, good to see you and give doggies hugs and squishes from me.

I am trying a new protein drink, Nectar Cappuccino flavor. Some people from my WLS website said it was decent. So far, it's good albeit a little sweet (has splenda in it). Dissolved well and I get 23g of whey protein in for the morning.

Hugs to all!
Ratkity
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #119  
Divine

Hey gang!! Well its about 8 am and I am ancy. I want to do something so bad I feel like I am going crazy. Its a cold day outside so I am staying in to stay warm. I might read a book today.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi everyone,

Happy Friday. I have company until Monday eve. Joel's oldest brother Glenn is here for about a week. I have been continuing to have chest pains with much movement so that sucks but I'm trying to stay positive about it. I am usuing the time to read some books. I have stacks of them that people have loaned me to read plus some of my own. I am pleased to report that I get to post a -1 lol. I am trying to be positive about that as well. -1 is -1 afterall.

Lynn: I hope you get to get out and do something. I feel that way a lot lately and it stinks.

Ags: Thank you so much for the prayers. It is very much appreciated

Angie: I'm glad you are getting some sleep and I hope that you don't for a minute think that we think you are being selfish. Please come back often and post what you want to!

Carol: Waving and virtual hugging ya

Well, that is about it for now. I need to get back to my company. Can't wait until tonight when Joel is home for the weekend and can entertain his brother. I like his brother but he and I are very different. lol.

Blessings and many hugs all,
Annie
Closed Thread